Celebrity Eclipse - Revolutionize/Refurbishment!

Encapsulated

Going on eclipse for Antarctica season 2024

was on eclipse 2022 and was a bit disappointed with the age/old feel of the ship. It had thick TVs and rooms felt old.

Just getting back from the Apex and hoping that it’ll get a dry dock before my cruise. Anyone know?

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Encapsulated said:

was on eclipse 2022 and was a bit disappointed with the age/old feel of the ship. It had thick TVs and rooms felt old.

Just getting back from the Apex and hoping that it’ll get a dry dock before my cruise. Anyone know?

“Thick tv’s”…..funny….but they worked just fine.Like the layout & vib of the ship

• Like 1

On 5/13/2023 at 11:36 PM, Encapsulated said:

I'll be on the Eclipse this Aug (my first time on Celebrity).  I'm curious what specifically felt old.  Are things wearing out?  Breaking?  Or is it more of a style that looks dated?  I understand the TV looking old, but is there more to it?  

From my "research," the thing I think I'll have the biggest issue with is what appears to be a lack of electrical outlets and charging points in the room, specifically next to the bed.

7 hours ago, bigAWL said:

From my "research," the thing I think I'll have the biggest issue with is what appears to be a lack of electrical outlets and charging points in the room, specifically next to the bed.

A problem with most cruise ships unless they were built in the last few years and then even some of them don't have this.

• Like 2

On 5/14/2023 at 3:26 AM, CU64 said:

“Thick tv’s”…..funny….but they worked just fine.Like the layout & vib of the ship

That is funny. My teenage son just complained about a thick TV yesterday when I gave him a spare from our basement. He said it was too thick (it was a flat screen from 4-5 years ago.) He shut up when I said it's either that or nothing.

Edited by njsmom
  • Like 5
  • Haha 4

This is how we charged two iPads, two phones, two watches and one set of hearing aids on Silhouette. These were on the desk, nothing by the bed.  Our Kindles had to take their turn!37A53F7C-9479-42EA-A51D-DCC2DDF4CD72.thumb.jpeg.003df03db95223873ed4c87a0f389776.jpeg

Edited by smtcan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

We just got off the Eclipse in Honolulu May 9th.  

We were in a CS on deck 10, so these comments only pertain to our experience.

The lack of outlets is ridiculous.  My husband had to move his laptop/phone chargers off the desk so I could plug in the hair dryer and curling iron (no acceptable outlet in the bathroom).  We brought 1 extra European converter so we could utilize the Europe type plug on the desk.  We did pull out the nightstand and found an outlet behind there so we could charge a phone overnight and a Kindle during the day.  If they know there is an outlet behind a nightstand, why wouldn't they put some kind of extension on the nightstand so it could be utilized?  

One of my biggest complaints is the peeling paint on the balcony.  I mean EVERY SINGLE MORNING it looked like it had snowed.  I had to get a towel and clean off the table, chairs and lounger, then put a towel in front of the sliding doors so as not to track paint onto the carpet.  I peaked next door to see if the problem was just our balcony and our neighbors both had problems as well.  Our room steward actually had to vacuum the balcony every morning, it was that bad.  

I noticed ripped carpeting in the Oceanview Cafe, very scratched flooring and worn furniture in the library (where we spent a lot of time due to the pathetic "premium" internet in our room), sinks out of order in the common area ladies rooms, just little things, but it does become noticeable.

The toilet in our room was so old, there were scratches that had left a permanent dark gray ring about an inch thick, due to the scraping of the metal while cleaning the bowl.  

First world problems?  yes.  But when you pay a lot to stay in one of the nicest suites for 18 days, expectations are high.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, luvthec said:

We just got off the Eclipse in Honolulu May 9th.  

We were in a CS on deck 10, so these comments only pertain to our experience.

The lack of outlets is ridiculous.  My husband had to move his laptop/phone chargers off the desk so I could plug in the hair dryer and curling iron (no acceptable outlet in the bathroom).  We brought 1 extra European converter so we could utilize the Europe type plug on the desk.  We did pull out the nightstand and found an outlet behind there so we could charge a phone overnight and a Kindle during the day.  If they know there is an outlet behind a nightstand, why wouldn't they put some kind of extension on the nightstand so it could be utilized?  

One of my biggest complaints is the peeling paint on the balcony.  I mean EVERY SINGLE MORNING it looked like it had snowed.  I had to get a towel and clean off the table, chairs and lounger, then put a towel in front of the sliding doors so as not to track paint onto the carpet.  I peaked next door to see if the problem was just our balcony and our neighbors both had problems as well.  Our room steward actually had to vacuum the balcony every morning, it was that bad.  

I noticed ripped carpeting in the Oceanview Cafe, very scratched flooring and worn furniture in the library (where we spent a lot of time due to the pathetic "premium" internet in our room), sinks out of order in the common area ladies rooms, just little things, but it does become noticeable.

The toilet in our room was so old, there were scratches that had left a permanent dark gray ring about an inch thick, due to the scraping of the metal while cleaning the bowl.  

First world problems?  yes.  But when you pay a lot to stay in one of the nicest suites for 18 days, expectations are high.

I might be noticing those things also if I paid for a CS.

• Like 1

Yeh we were on eclipse circumnavigating NZ last Christmas. It definitely was tired and feeling a bit out of date. It is unfortunate the revolution renovation was cancelled. But also it’s less expensive than the beyond (our next cruise). 

We have charging devices that allow us to use 1 outlet to charge 4 devices.  We use a converter to use the European outlet.  So we are able to keep everything charged and hairdryer/curling iron useable.  
Would it be nice to have outlets by the bed yes, but our house was built 20 years ago and we have phone jacks in every room, not useful today but we just adapt. 
If you want outlets by the bed book a E class ship, 

• Like 3

Sad to hear that the Eclipse needs some refurbishment. We have been on her many times in the Caribbean when they had the 14 night sailing.  She is coming to New Jersey next year.

We booked the Greenland/Iceland cruise for next summer.  Maybe Celebrity will at least address some of the issues & fix or replace items torn or worn out.  Paying their prices for a suite and finding what luvthec mentioned in their CS cabin is not what people are expecting or want.  

I can't speak to Eclipse as we have not been on her in awhile.  But shabby Celebrity ships are a very rare occurrence.  As to outlets - yes, the older ships have fewer outlets.  They were built before they knew everyone would want so many.  To me that's not worth complaining about, regardless of the type of suite.  We sailed (for the first and probably the last time due to cost) in a Royal Suite on Solstice recently, also not revolutionized.  The lack of outlets was something very easily worked around (as we have on our many other non-revolutionized X ships),

Paint flaking constantly on the balcony?  Yes that would definitely have bugged me as well.  It is something the crew should be able to take care of, even during sailing.  Of course then someone (not suggesting necessarily the OP) would be complaining about not being able to use the balcony for a day or two.  They do try to keep up with that kind of maintenance while still sailing.  Last cruise we had our balcony furniture replaced with new items during our sailing, and on our cruise prior they revarnished the balcony railing which required us to avoid leaning on it for a day or two.  

As to some of the ship looking a bit worn and some scratched carpeting or furniture here and there.  Unless it's overall a shabby mess, it makes no difference to me.  I don't see what that has to do with being in a higher level suite either.  Are they supposed to refurbish the whole ship just to make the higher suite folks happy??  Maybe I'm overreacting but I guess I just don't know what people expect these days.  There was a pandemic.  The cruise industry was totally shut down for a long time and they lost tons of $$, causing them to delay revolutionizing and slow down refurbishments.  I understand that when I book and adjust my expectations accordingly.  If you want brand, spanking new book one of the newest E class.  

• Like 3

On 5/15/2023 at 4:23 AM, bigAWL said:

I'll be on the Eclipse this Aug (my first time on Celebrity).  I'm curious what specifically felt old.  Are things wearing out?  Breaking?  Or is it more of a style that looks dated?  I understand the TV looking old, but is there more to it?  

We have done 14 of our 15 Celebrity cruises as a family of 4 in one cabin (half of them were 10-15 nights) and we have gotten used to managing life around the single set of electrical outlets by the desk.  We have our Euro adapters and USB splitters similar to what smtcan described to charge phones, laptops, handheld game consoles, battery packs, and even toothbrushes (M class did away with the outlet in the bathroom during one of the drydocks).  My wife and I bring battery packs that we can use by our bed side to charge our phones while keeping it near us.  It does mean that you have to bring more stuff with you which is a drawback especially for those that are good at packing light.     

• Like 1

If anyone is going to purchase plugs/adapters just make sure its future-proof and has USB-C which nearly all new devices use as they generally charge and transfer data faster

FYI for the iPhone...There's a EU mandate that most devices including smartphones will need to switch to USB-C in order to charge by the end of 2024.  There's no US mandate so there are several conflicting rumors to whether the US iPhone will get a USB-C port at all and if they do, will it only be on the top PRO models and will it be this year or next year.  But also unfortunately rumored, Apple found a loophole to EU's mandate so the iPhone will only accept USB-C cables that are embedded with the MFi-chip.  Ironically, this makes things less "green" because the MFi USB-C cable will probably look identical to a non-MFi cable and you may grab the wrong cable when traveling requiring you buy another cable

We were on the Eclipse for 18 nights on the recent trans Pacific cruise. Our cabin was an over the hump balcony on deck 7. Yes, the decor is tired and outdated and there are work arounds for outlets.

The one thing that we found unacceptable was the lack of sheer drapes. Our only option to shade the room was the blackout drapes. There was no option to have some natural light while diffusing the sun. You could see where the sheers had been there previously with some remnants of the sheers still on the rods. 

We heard similar reports from other passengers. 

On 5/15/2023 at 4:28 PM, smtcan said:

This is how we charged two iPads, two phones, two watches and one set of hearing aids on Silhouette. These were on the desk, nothing by the bed.  Our Kindles had to take their turn!37A53F7C-9479-42EA-A51D-DCC2DDF4CD72.thumb.jpeg.003df03db95223873ed4c87a0f389776.jpeg

That's really roughing it. As we say in our family, "Now you know how the pioneers felt."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, njsmom said:

That's really roughing it. As we say in our family, "Now you know how the pioneers felt."

To be honest in three years without cruising we had forgotten about the lack of outlets.  Our previous cruise was on M class and during the refit lamps with outlets were added beside the bed.  

It was not a deal breaker for us.  The ship was in good condition with no paint flakes or shabby furniture.  I only took the picture because questions about outlets are frequently asked on these boards and a picture is worth a thousand words.

After the cruise we stayed with family in Europe.  The charging situation was much worse in their home.  We had items plugged in in several different rooms.  

Edited by smtcan

Yikes.  Going on it in the fall, so I guess I'll adjust my expectations (after being on Beyond in Feb!).

So does this mean that top deck is still a sundeck and they have not blocked it off for suite guests only?   Like the Reflection had last year?    

1 minute ago, Encapsulated said:

Hoping that Celebrity replaces the Eclipse with Apex, Edge, or Beyond for Antarctica cruise before sailing but most likely not happening :D.

You can bet not, since they just moved Eclipse to the South America/Antarctica runs replacing Infinity there. 

Harris

Denver, CO