Arvia Adventure Begins - May 2023

Megabear2

1 hour ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

I agree.  We were on Arvia in April.  We queued for about 30 minutes for the shuttle at Valencia, but no more than 5 or 10 minutes anywhere else.  

If there are 6000 pax on Arvia and we assume, for the sake of argument that 1000 pax will not get off and 1000 will be on ship tours, that might mean 4000 using the shuttle.  Return trip = 8000 journeys.   With 20 shuttles at 50 pax each they can move 1000 at a time.  So, if the passengers spaced their journey times out over an 8 hr port stop and each shuttle did one return journey per hour they would have more than enough capacity to move everyone.  But, of course, passengers don't spread their journeys equally.  So, at peak times there will be queues and longer waits. 

Yes , but most passengers want to get off between 8 and 10 am, i.e. a two hour window for 4000 passengers,  minimum 60 bus loads, so that needs enough buses for one to leave every 2 minutes. If filling the bus takes 10 minutes and the return journey ( 10 mins each way  no wait at other end assuming empty return) takes 20 minutes, then that's  15 coaches on a continuous non stop shuttle. If 15 coaches arent available then P&O bug***d. Coaches should be provisionally booked as they launch intinerary if not available choose another port.

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 3

Good evening one and all…

We have our first cruise with P&O this October, previous 3 each with NCL and RC. With no bad experiences whatsoever. Just fancied a change this year. Especially on Arvia big ship, lots to do etc

The price, sailing from Southampton, was a massive attraction. However after reading various threads, Christ alive what have we done. 

Can it really be that bad at every corner……Carry on Cruising springs to mind..

But after Arvia hits an iceberg in the next 24 hours, or an asteroid hits the main dining room..will probably sacrifice our deposit and stick with tried and tested.

Not for us….

Cheers

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Shrewsbury on Tour said:

We have our first cruise with P&O this October, previous 3 each with NCL and RC. With no bad experiences whatsoever. Just fancied a change this year. Especially on Arvia big ship, lots to do etc

The price, sailing from Southampton, was a massive attraction. However after reading various threads, Christ alive what have we done. 

But after Arvia hits an iceberg in the next 24 hours, or an asteroid hits the main dining room..will probably sacrifice our deposit and stick with tried and tested.

Not for us….

Cheers

That's a real shame if you cancel

There's plenty of people have great cruise holidays on P and O

We've done RCL, P and O and Carnival

Loved them all

Only queue worth even mentioning we faced on Arvia in 2 weeks this Feb In The Caribbean was 15 mins waiting to get in Limelight

And 5 minutes at Guest services

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

That's a real shame if you cancel

There's plenty of people have great cruise holidays on P and O

We've done RCL, P and O and Carnival

Loved them all

Only queue worth even mentioning we faced on Arvia in 2 weeks this Feb In The Caribbean was 15 mins waiting to get in Limelight

And 5 minutes at Guest services

Whilst delighted for you ICF as someone who sails Europe, Caribbean and the far reaches of the world I have to say the destinations are chalk and cheese and that's a big influence here compared with your Caribbean venture.

We aren't particularly port intensive, only 6 ports so much more need for the ship to flow. We are at total full capacity not a room to spare anywhere.  We are docking at the furthest point of cities and towns, not beautiful walk off sun kissed islands where everyone is happily walking off straight to the beach or on a tour.  If we stay on-board in port we are treated to containers and ro ro ferries everywhere, very little chance of a stroll to a nice bar (Google maps 47.minutes today).  We have a large number of very elderly people who are not only movement impaired but often deaf.  We have an extremely large contingent of people who won't or can't use the app.  We have a very large number of people who did use the app, had it collapse on them and lose their bookings. We have first time cruisers of all ages who don't understand why when they get in the dinner queue at 7.30 pm they don't get called to sit down until 9.00pm.  We have people who can't get into.any dining at all because the app.shows full.  

No idea how many were on your cruise in the Caribbean but we have 6,200 trying to find sunbed and chairs on the sunny days and finding very few available.  We have swimming pools with lots of children that adults are afraid to use because they're very small.  We have a swim up bar no.one is swimming up in because they won't get in the pool because of the children.

It's a whole new world for Arvia and her crew after the joys of the Caribbean and cruises that weren't sold out.  I'm told that most if this year's ones are going to be full.  P&O are very happy about that.  I'm pleased for them too but and it's a big but from what I'm seeing and hearing a lot are not planning to come back.

• Like 13

5 hours ago, Selbourne said:

We quite fancied the itinerary that you are on for Summer 25 (also on Arvia) but didn’t book as we felt that the launch prices were too high and would drop closer to sailing. Having read about your experiences I am sensing that we dodged a bullet!

Yes it’s a great itinerary, these experiences are putting me off too! In Pandemic times I had a Ventura cruise cancelled that was a similar itinerary . How upsetting that is now!

4 hours ago, zap99 said:

When we are on Majorca we will do our own thing and go to Soller. Bus to the station is only 2 Euro.

I liked that idea when you recommended it before. However at 9.25 there was a big taxi queue (45 minute walk minimum to town,) and guests were being held from leaving the terminal as there were loads of movements with traffic for the ferries.  It's a shame, is like to have tried it.

In the event I went olive oil and truffle shopping and visited the Cathedral.  Very pleasant. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Selbourne said:

@Megabear2 wasn’t it today that your surprise gift was due to arrive? I assume that the surprise wasn’t a 2 hour wait for a shuttle bus? 😂 

It has arrived and was here on my return.  I have a voucher for the spa (will be something nice as fairly substantial amount on the gift letter) and a bottle of a nice wine.  However it's not from P&O but from my contact as a personal gift.  I.had an email from her yesterday to tell me she's passed the copy of my form up the line but to ensure I keep a full note of everything and lodge a formal complaint on return with particular emphasis on all the meetings that never happened and anything else of substance.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Shrewsbury on Tour said:

Not for us….

Cheers

id probably join more places that talk about experiences than just cruise critic. Not everyone’s experiences will be bad. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Vampiress88 said:

id probably join more places that talk about experiences than just cruise critic. Not everyone’s experiences will be bad. 

Very true. As I keep saying others aren't having my experience although seems everyone on here tonight is talking about nothing but the transfers.

On the plus side Rock On were great again, 710 Club was good, I got a seat to watch Pulse (only stayed a while because I'm.exhausted) and I loved the Beach House dinner - I couldn't make my mind up.on starter so the waiter said it get me half and half but I ended up with two full portions! Won't need to eat for a fortnight now!

20230519_214129.jpg

20230519_184506.jpg

• Like 4

Sorry to hear it’s been another bad day for you. 
I wasn’t following correctly till I did a little research for where you were to realise that it’s either a 40mins to 70mins walk into the town depending on where you are. 

it does sound like there wasn’t enough buses. I would have just gotten a taxi and then stormed the front desk for a refund as I cannot wait in a queue (I have a little card for it and everything) and I’m younger than most passengers so god knows how the older ones managed. 

I was fuming when we had to wait 45mins to get onto a msc ship. No shuttle just the weird floating walk way. And we were one of the first batch to get back on I’m sure it ended up being longer. I was going to go to reception and have a tizzy at them but they sent a note giving us €50 compensation. They even gave the people that didn’t bother getting off the comp although I don’t know why but the point is that I respected them more for acknowledging the issue and trying to soften the blow. Had this have been the same on p&o I would be hoping for that too. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

I wasn’t following correctly till I did a little research for where you were to realise that it’s either a 40mins to 70mins walk into the town depending on where you are. 

it does sound like there wasn’t enough buses. I would have just gotten a taxi and then stormed the front desk for a refund as I cannot wait in a queue (I have a little card for it and everything) and I’m younger than most passengers so god knows how the older ones managed. 

I was fuming when we had to wait 45mins to get onto a msc ship. No shuttle just the weird floating walk way. And we were one of the first batch to get back on I’m sure it ended up being longer. I was going to go to reception and have a tizzy at them but they sent a note giving us €50 compensation. They even gave the people that didn’t bother getting off the comp although I don’t know why but the point is that I respected them more for acknowledging the issue and trying to soften the blow. Had this have been the same on p&o I would be hoping for that too. 

Thanks.  No one's holding out for anything from P&O.  Obviously if it has been walkable a lot would have done so.  I think a lot were shocked how far it was, particularly those who'd sailed in before.  We are.much further out than I've ever been before.

Unfortunately (or fortunately if you can cope) the sun came out this afternoon, seen a lot of bright red faces this evening as it was chilly and cloudy when people went off so many were I'll prepared for the sun.  Hopefully they sort it by the time the next cruise returns.  There was very little shade.

The area the bus parks in.is just a road projecting into water. No taxis as it's a closed road. I tried Uber but it didn't seem to work so don't know if they don't have it.  

Edited by Megabear2

14 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

This is exactly how I feel. Sometimes problems arise, and even if they cannot fix the problem immediately the response to it says everything. Showing respect to the passengers and sympathy costs nothing. From what @Megabear2said, it was a long time before a member of P&O crew turned up at the drop off/pick up point. The ship would have been well aware of the issues so they could have sent crew there much earlier to at least organise and talk to the passengers, get further assistance if needed for the elderly, those with mobility issues (they would know how many of each group they have onboard), water etc... I am sure passengers would have appreciated that. 

When there is no acknowledgement it is disappointing. 

• Like 8

Tried Uber as well but found the same that it's not available in Palma.

I'm on mobile so sorry for brevity but I agree with @Megabear2's sentiments.

we used the app but then found the app is not working. We queued for Glass House for 1.5 hrs, saw the queue wasn't moving and went down there only for them to say the app had stopped working... ??? And we were admitted straight away.

I'm also confused why swim up bar pool is not adults only. 

• Like 4

Whilst I'm delighted that have been given something in the "form" of compensation,even though it was through your personal contact, not HQ direct. it's the other passengers that DON'T have this support, I feel sorry for .Where do they go and who listens to them? While you can do something on board to resolve this  issues or just get the ball rolling,others seem to have nothing,no game plan,no friends in high places. Previously you indicated 30 cabins suffered from niose. I'm certainly NOT expecting you to resolve their problems but have they got any advocates? Does this sound harsh?????it's definitely not meant to come across that was.

• Like 1

Just now, ohnonotmeagain said:

Whilst I'm delighted that have been given something in the "form" of compensation,even though it was through your personal contact, not HQ direct. it's the other passengers that DON'T have this support, I feel sorry for .Where do they go and who listens to them? While you can do something on board to resolve this  issues or just get the ball rolling,others seem to have nothing,no game plan,no friends in high places. Previously you indicated 30 cabins suffered from niose. I'm certainly NOT expecting you to resolve their problems but have they got any advocates? Does this sound harsh?????it's definitely not meant to come across that was.

I'm in total agreement. I have urged everyone I encounter who's had problems to report them, complain and keep on complaining.  I've even given a couple some email addresses I have that not many others have.

However if these people choose to not chase and push I can't force them.  They are on holiday and might not want to cause more upset for themselves

For my part I'm as stubborn as a mule and fight to the end if I think I'm treated badly.  It took a lot of fighting over a long period to get taken seriously at Southampton.  However I try to be fair when they do a good job - which they often do.

I've built a nice relationship with several individuals there through the horrid situation with Princess and my aunt.  I send Christmas cards and gifts to these people, not as a bribe but as a thank you for their help.  I am accepting that one individual who knows how emotionally involved I get is trying to patch up.my holiday.

No I don't think your harsh, but human nature is such people don't want to get too involved.  

I'm.not some flag waving leader at the head of irate cruisers, I'm just myself sticking up for what I believe is right.

Any way this is meant to be my happy thread and I'm trying to keep it that way.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I'm in total agreement. I have urged everyone I encounter who's had problems to report them, complain and keep on complaining.  I've even given a couple some email addresses I have that not many others have.

However if these people choose to not chase and push I can't force them.  They are on holiday and might not want to cause more upset for themselves

For my part I'm as stubborn as a mule and fight to the end if I think I'm treated badly.  It took a lot of fighting over a long period to get taken seriously at Southampton.  However I try to be fair when they do a good job - which they often do.

I've built a nice relationship with several individuals there through the horrid situation with Princess and my aunt.  I send Christmas cards and gifts to these people, not as a bribe but as a thank you for their help.  I am accepting that one individual who knows how emotionally involved I get is trying to patch up.my holiday.

No I don't think your harsh, but human nature is such people don't want to get too involved.  

I'm.not some flag waving leader at the head of irate cruisers, I'm just myself sticking up for what I believe is right.

Any way this is meant to be my happy thread and I'm trying to keep it that way.

This is definitely not a happy thread. Due to all the issues you have encountered and continue to report on, and in addition feel the need to entice others to complain, we are now cancelling cruises we have booked with P&O. We will be losing quite a lot in deposits we have paid. If everything is as bad as you are reporting I would be seeking a flight home at the next available opportunity.

1 minute ago, True Devonian said:

This is definitely not a happy thread. Due to all the issues you have encountered and continue to report on, and in addition feel the need to entice others to complain, we are now cancelling cruises we have booked with P&O. We will be losing quite a lot in deposits we have paid. If everything is as bad as you are reporting I would be seeking a flight home at the next available opportunity.

I'm sorry you read it that way.  I'm not enticing anyone to complain or cancel and my experience is just as I see it.  This started as a happy thread, I booked a holiday to enjoy.  Events I experience are my own. Others are unaffected and having a nice holiday without a doubt.

It is not my intention at all to say everybody will encounter the same.  I wouldn't dream of cancelling a holiday based on a thread on a website from someone I don't know from Adam and is like to assume that most would feel the same.

I cannot change.my personal experience.  I am not running around telling people to complain, that's for them but a post above indicated that I was being singled out for special treatment.  I can assure you I'm.not, I was a long way down the list of complainants.  I reiterate however that everything is not bad on here, it's stuff that can be rectified, and if it's done soon there's no.need to worry.

I've chosen to cancel a couple of holidays based on my experience and expectations.  There's no need for others to do it as they aren't the ones who had the problems.

• Like 8

For information these are the berths at Palma

Yellow - Arvia

Green - RoRo berths

Red - original cruise berths

Blue - nearest public transport No1 bus terminus

In the olden days Ocean village use the Arvia berth at times, as did Thomson

PALMA BERTHS.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

With regards to the shuttles at Palma, I would say nothing has changed since October and Britannia.  We did walk in not knowing where we were going and it took quite a while. So once there we didn't stop long before asking someone where to get the shuttle back. There was a large queue when we got there and the sun was very hot. It had been cool when we left so I didn't have a hat. 

Our queue overtook all of the other ones. Many had been waiting for a long time. After standing for a while, I walked down past lots of queueing buses to take a look. Other cruises had buses moving up all the time. I thought that we might have been able to take a shortcut through the port, so went back to get hubby. Big mistake as we weren't allowed and ended up further back in the queue. 

There was no shelter until a small one just at the front of the queue, no seats or drinks. There was a lot of old people, people with walkers and some in chairs. I didn't fancy the long walk back again as it was a lot hotter than on the way in. I can't remember how long the wait was but it was quite a while. 

I would never of thought about using a taxi, it's something we have never done. Wouldn't know if we were being overcharged and how to ask them to take us to the right place.

So basically P&O have known about the issues with this port for over 7 months and not done anything about it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is sadly taking a turn for the worse and getting a bit too deep and personal.  When people start telling me I'm enticing people to complain and cancelling holidays I think the time has come for me to.move on.  I have decided not to post anymore on this link as it isn't and never was intended to be anything other than posting on my holiday experience.  Thanks.

• Thanks 4

11 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

This is sadly taking a turn for the worse and getting a bit too deep and personal.  When people start telling me I'm enticing people to complain and cancelling holidays I think the time has come for me to.move on.  I have decided not to post anymore on this link as it isn't and never was intended to be anything other than posting on my holiday experience.  Thanks.

To be fair you did say:

"I have urged everyone I encounter who's had problems to report them, complain and keep on complaining.  I've even given a couple some email addresses I have that not many others have"

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Do not let them win! Keep going report what you find,others will make there own minds up

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, JDB78 said:

To be fair you did say:

"I have urged everyone I encounter who's had problems to report them, complain and keep on complaining.  I've even given a couple some email addresses I have that not many others have"

Yes, these were people who complained to me first.  Some at the bus stops today were extremely upset which is why I pointed out if you don't complain they won't know and can't do anything about it. I gave them the executive office email as they were first time cruisers and didn't know it existed.

The post I wrote that reply to in response made me sound like I should be some people's champion running around collating details. 

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 1