Whining about cabin gift options.

To start, I'm old as you might guess from the # of years I've been on Cruise Critic.  I remember when you could buy bon voyage gifts from florists and specialty companies that would magically be delivered to your cabin on any cruise ship.  One memorable cruise we even had little decorated Christmas trees and gifts delivered for our kids!  Then for security and profit reasons, the cruise lines eliminated that service -- but the cruise lines still supplied a large variety of options themselves.  I didn't cruise during the pandemic and am finally returning to RCL on a family cruise this autumn.  I looked at the RCL site, thinking I'd order some cabin surprises for my kids & their spouses (one of whom has never cruised before, and one who is introducing their small kids to cruising).  The limited selection was really disappointing!  I didn't spot any floral arrangements at all, no cans of soda or bottles of wine (other than a wine & cheese platter), no boxes of candy or cookies, no celebration cakes, no t-shirts or similar gifts and very few toys.  Will there be a greater choice of gifts closer to our cruise?  Or have the days with a wide variety of pre-purchased bon voyage gift options gone forever?

Edited by Truluv
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Truluv said:

To start, I'm old as you might guess from the # of years I've been on Cruise Critic.  I remember when you could buy bon voyage gifts from florists and specialty companies that would magically be delivered to your cabin on any cruise ship.  One memorable cruise we even had little decorated Christmas trees and gifts delivered for our kids!  Then for security and profit reasons, the cruise lines eliminated that service -- but the cruise lines still supplied a large variety of options themselves.  I didn't cruise during the pandemic and am finally returning to RCL on a family cruise this autumn.  I looked at the RCL site, thinking I'd order some cabin surprises for my kids & their spouses (one of whom has never cruised before, and one who is introducing their small kids to cruising).  The limited selection was really disappointing!  I didn't spot any floral arrangements at all, no cans of soda or bottles of wine (other than a wine & cheese platter), no boxes of candy or cookies, no celebration cakes, no t-shirts or similar gifts and very few toys.  Will there be a greater choice of gifts closer to our cruise?  Or have the days with a wide variety of pre-purchased bon voyage gift options gone forever?

You have only been on cc since 2002, me too. 21 years isnt that old.

I dont remember being able to order floral arrangements but never tried. Most people want to pay land prices and walk on with stuff. I doubt there is a huge demand to pay a lot more for candy when you can just bring whatever you want. There are candies in the onboard shops maybe gift some obc. Or give them gifts ahead of time for cruising. 

• Like 1

Firefly - I was cruising pre-Cruise Critic LOL.  My very 1st cruise was on the Russian cruise-ship Kazakstan, which was on a cultural exchange with the United States (NYC to Bermuda) in the late 70s.  We were so excited to be dressed up & have lots of confetti and streamers at the sail-away, having a porthole, rocking and rolling without stabilizers and our built-in bunks.  I still have my samovar & samovar cozy from the ship's tiny gift shop.  By the time I cruised on Carnival's Celebration in the 1980s, a ship with approx. 1,400 passengers (and open flames during the Baked Alaska parade in the dining room) felt enormous & luxurious!  Cruising just keeps getting better and better, but it has always been fantastic IMO.  Our family had very memorable cruises, including one when my spouse & I renewed our vows in a Russian church in Sitka AK -- joined by family who surprised us -- another vow renewal years later on a cruise after my spouse was diagnosed with a terminal degenerative disease, kids' 16th birthday cruises with their friends, some holiday trips and later a family cruise with a ceremony to bury my spouse's ashes at sea as he had requested.  Seems like our lives are full of cruise memories.  I'm looking forward to enjoying my kids' introducing their spouses and my new grandkids to cruising now.

Edited by Truluv
  • Like 9

40 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

You have only been on cc since 2002, me too. 21 years isnt that old.

I dont remember being able to order floral arrangements but never tried. Most people want to pay land prices and walk on with stuff. I doubt there is a huge demand to pay a lot more for candy when you can just bring whatever you want. There are candies in the onboard shops maybe gift some obc. Or give them gifts ahead of time for cruising. 

Flowers were always available.  YEARS  ( and years 😀) ago, RCCL had floral carts with lots of options where one could buy  large arrangement all the way down to a single rose bud vase.  I'm thinking it was about 2002 or earlier.   If i looked hard enough, I might be able to find a photo.  Then the carts were discontinued ( maybe 10 years ago)  and RCCL  offered a variety of  large arrangements that were delivered to the cabin.  Pricing was not too much more  than a local florist. We had a few and they lasted a long time. Last I checked, there were no flower options. 

We like flowers in the room and have a few collapsible pliable vases  ( easy to find on line) and simply pick up a supermarket bunch prior to the cruise.  The flowers usually last the two weeks we are on board. 

M

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 5

51 minutes ago, Truluv said:

Thank you! That site has a lot more options than the page that was linked to my reservation!

So nice of you to provide gifts.  The Truffles are delicious.

M

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Flowers were always available.  YEARS  ( and years 😀) ago, RCCL had floral carts with lots of options where one could buy  large arrangement all the way down to a single rose bud vase.  I'm thinking it was about 2002 or earlier.   If i looked hard enough, I might be able to find a photo.  Then the carts were discontinued ( maybe 10 years ago)  and RCCL  offered a variety of  large arrangements that were delivered to the cabin.  Pricing was not too much more  than a local florist. We had a few and they lasted a long time. Last I checked, there were no flower options. 

We like flowers in the room and have a few collapsible pliable vases  ( easy to find on line) and simply pick up a supermarket bunch prior to the cruise.  The flowers usually last the two weeks we are on board. 

M

I remember the flower carts actually in the terminal. What I dont remember is being able to buy them ahead of time under gifts to purchase .. but agree I could buy them as I boarded. I was talking about pre purchasing gifts.

Renee brings a orchid onboard when she cruises even now. 

Of course when I boarded princess in Galveston I also remember being greeting with a glass of champagne in the terminal. ..lots has changed. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

M

Yeah, the last time we received flowers was on EN in April 2022 from our friends who are our TA's.  We were on a 20 night b2b and they lasted about 15 of those days.  She's been wanting to order them again for us, but they're never available anymore.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I remember the flower carts actually in the terminal. What I dont remember is being able to buy them ahead of time under gifts to purchase .. but agree I could buy them as I boarded. I was talking about pre purchasing gifts.

Renee brings a orchid onboard when she cruises even now. 

Of course when I boarded princess in Galveston I also remember being greeting with a glass of champagne in the terminal. ..lots has changed. 

Yes -  flowers were available to purchase ahead of time.   They last time some were sent to us was in 2017 .   

Lucky with the orchid.  We brought one once, and it was denied. Apparently, the dirt was the issue.  I cut the orchid stems off the plant to bring them on board.    We have been told cut flowers only. 

I don't recall RCCL ever offering  champagne when boarding but our first cruise "only" goes back to 1987.  Maybe, they did it prior to then.  Celebrity yes and never sailed princess. 

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

I'll have to let my husband know so he's not disappointed if he can't order flowers in advance!  I know it was doable pre-pandemic because he'd call and order them in advance of our cruises to surprise me.  I enjoyed them since none of the food options work for us, but no biggie we can't get them.  I expect it's supply but that would be almost an easy money maker - they used to have set bouquet options you could order online or call in.

4 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

It's interesting that the bon voyage site that Magicat provided, still has a page for flowers.  It's blank, but maybe it means they're coming back sometime.  I'll keep an eye out.  Cruisegirl:  If all else fails, I'll order them the truffles!  Firefly - I remember the free sail away champagne too!  It was a nice start to a cruise, even if it didn't taste that great.  I get a bottle occasionally from my TA, but it's not the same thing.

I'll be sticking a bunch of toys in a bag for the grandkids.  This will either be the beginning of a love affair with cruising for the new son-in-law (who has already bought dramamine LOL) and daughter-in-law....OR NOT.  Should be interesting.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Truluv said:

I'll be sticking a bunch of toys in a bag for the grandkids.  This will either be the beginning of a love affair with cruising for the new son-in-law (who has already bought dramamine LOL) and daughter-in-law....OR NOT.  Should be interesting.  

Fingers crossed it's love!  As one who is very prone to motion sickness, I can say cruising usually doesn't trigger it.  The DBP does help with that though too lol! 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I remember "the days" when there were more options.  I also believe they were managed by a 3rd party supplier.  It was in your cabin when you arrived. I used to order lots of those in cabin gifts - it was like a nice surprise when you open the cabin door for the first time. 

Now, my experience is that the selection is much reducd, but even then, it's a crap shoot if the ordered item even shows up.  Eg - we ordered the towels, but they had non in stock, so nothing showed up. We went to guest services on day 2 and asked about them, only to be told they had none, and would refund the money.   

• Like 1

Toddcan:  I've heard similar stories over the years - drat.  Sometimes happens with prepaying for other things too.  Normally I just roll with it, but I've been hoping to make my kids' experiences special.  I decided to go to the pursar's office and give them cabin credits once they're onboard....while not a surprise waiting in their cabins, it will still be appreciated.  

• Like 1

Even higher prices wouldn't be surprising for cruises out of the NY Metropolitan area, but maybe RCL's marketing team decided they can't make $ at this cost.  Interesting info.  Thanks!

7 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

…Lucky with the orchid.  We brought one once, and it was denied. Apparently, the dirt was the issue.  I cut the orchid stems off the plant to bring them on board.    We have been told cut flowers only….

What port were you denied in and how long ago was this? I have taken orchids on board in Hawaii, Fort Lauderdale and Miami as recent as March. Hope they don’t start denying my orchids. I always give them to the crew when I leave. Hoping to bring cut flowers on in Amsterdam, but I need to research it first.

2 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

What port were you denied in and how long ago was this? I have taken orchids on board in Hawaii, Fort Lauderdale and Miami as recent as March. Hope they don’t start denying my orchids. I always give them to the crew when I leave. Hoping to bring cut flowers on in Amsterdam, but I need to research it first.

Port Canaveral.  Denied maybe 5 years ago and never tried since.    I cut the  stems off the plant, and that was fine to bring onboard.    We've taken cut flowers on-board at several foreign Ports.  (Dubai, Barcelona were the most recent  prior to Covid).   No problem. 

Our next cruise is from Tampa in July.  I may give the Orchid another try.  I'll pick up an expensive one.  

We sail from Amsterdam (Transatlantic) late this summer so please post your success   BTW - Since you mentioned flowers and Amsterdam the last time  we were there ( May - A few years ago)  the tulips were in bloom at Keukenhof. So Beautiful.    Plus they have an AMAZING orchid exhibit.  

Thank you for the orchid information.

• Like 1

I took my first cruise in 1973-- so now I've been cruising half a century this year!  I never bothered to do online stuff till I semi-retired from a very busy career.

For the little ones, I recommend the octopus with the towels--just too cute.  Even the adults might like the beach towels and the caps. Another thing that is a great souvenir is a ship t-shirt, which you find on board in the stores.  We have a nice collection. I've never been into cut flowers as they are just too transitory.

Have a wonderful time!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Port Canaveral.  Denied maybe 5 years ago and never tried since.    I cut the  stems off the plant, and that was fine to bring onboard.    We've taken cut flowers on-board at several foreign Ports.  (Dubai, Barcelona were the most recent  prior to Covid).   No problem. 

Our next cruise is from Tampa in July.  I may give the Orchid another try.  I'll pick up an expensive one.  

We sail from Amsterdam (Transatlantic) late this summer so please post your success   BTW - Since you mentioned flowers and Amsterdam the last time  we were there ( May - A few years ago)  the tulips were in bloom at Keukenhof. So Beautiful.    Plus they have an AMAZING orchid exhibit.  

Thank you for the orchid information.

I sail fom PC in December so I might rethink my orchid and just bring cut flowers. I'll have to do some research first. If you're on the Jewel TA we'll be on the same one. I might have seen your name on the roll call a while back but I haven't been on it in over 8 months I think. I usually go to Home Depot to get a phalaenopsis. Thursday or Friday after they've had their delivery is the best time.

At hotel in Hawaii packed and ready to go.

20221009_092535.thumb.jpg.8dc899f67b0ef63b6d99605be7652a02.jpg

In cabin. Got lucky and this one had 2 orchids.

20221009_134249.thumb.jpg.6d202c29a733586fe1a671ec2f793462.jpg

Another one I took on.

20230311_141057.thumb.jpg.db5ea30203e2a4f6f19601ed3cde6a4a.jpg

This was the last one in March. Always love to have flowers in the cabin.

20230119_131523.thumb.jpg.e39a855051bafdbca2478fae130dab7b.jpg

@Truluv You could always bring on some flowers like I do, but with family you might not want to add more stuff to carry. Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 1

I apologies that we’ve hijacked  this thread to flowers. 

Renee, you are the only other person I know who brings flowers. Other passengers are always commenting (on boarding day) when they see them. Here are a few shots of a few we’ve brought on board that also show the pliable plastic vases. 

m

FC1585FA-DB9E-43C8-8046-132FF1342B82.jpeg

73373301-5298-41B4-9EFA-8EFCABC75A56.jpeg

78FD8886-E0AD-40EB-A683-A1CDD7A78DF6.jpeg

• Like 2

@Truluv I remember the days of flowers being available too.  My Father used to order a bouquet for Mom on every cruise.

Once onboard you may want to seek head waiter in MDR or if you are Diamond or higher ask concierge in diamond lounge about a celebratory cake.   We had ordered one for our Son and his new Wife on their first cruise in 2021.   It was beautiful and delicious.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

@Truluv I remember the days of flowers being available too.  My Father used to order a bouquet for Mom on every cruise.

Once onboard you may want to seek head waiter in MDR or if you are Diamond or higher ask concierge in diamond lounge about a celebratory cake.   We had ordered one for our Son and his new Wife on their first cruise in 2021.   It was beautiful and delicious.

Very romantic! Yes...my husband used to order bouquets and other extras every cruise too. Wonderful memories.  Thanks for the suggestion about the celebratory cake.  I'm a little embarrassed to say I haven't gone in a diamond lounge since I started solo cruising.  I'll have to check it out. 

• Like 1

So odd that Royal no longer offers flowers! I hope they make a return. Surprisingly, Carnival has tons of beautiful arrangements you can order, and they always have fresh roses available by the arrangement or even just as singles in the candy store. On our honeymoon in 2017 we had several arrangements family had ordered for us, and they were gorgeous. But opposite of Royal, flowers and plants of any kind are definitely on the verboten list to bring aboard with you.

• Like 2