Passport Renewal

BND

3 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

The fact that getting a major project going can involve many complicated steps is not usually accepted as justification for doing nothing.

What is this comment in response to?  Are you saying that the State Department is doing nothing?  How do you know? 

@BND and I have tried to explain the steps involved that are not visible to anyone not involved in the process.  If you have some insight on funding, budgeting, contracting, hiring, and training by the Bureau of Consular Affairs (home of the Passport Office) please share it.

It has been reported (https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2023/07/11/passport-delays-status-expedited/) this month that

“The department is experiencing a surge in passport demand, and during some weeks we are seeing twice as many applications pending compared to the same point in Fiscal Year 2022,” the State Department said by email. In the last fiscal year, the department received more than 18.6 million applications and issued nearly 22 million passport books and cards.

To handle the demand, the agency has been taking an all-hands-on-deck approach. In addition to hiring new employees, the department is allowing staff to work overtime. From January through June, it authorized 30,000 to 40,000 monthly overtime hours. Retirees and new staff members are also pitching in.

The agency said that, as of June 22, it has been issuing more than 97 percent of passports within its stated processing times, if not sooner.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

The fact that getting a major project going can involve many complicated steps is not usually accepted as justification for doing nothing.

The fact is it's US Federal Law being followed.  As I said, you obviously don't know how the Federal acquisition process works and the laws that HAVE to be followed if no one wants to go to jail.

Just because you want it to go a particular way doesn't mean it can. Let it go.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

Passport renewal (expedited) for me and my wife, 

Received by passport office in Philadelphia June 12

Approved July 15

I just got both from the mailbox today July 19

Just a side note, the online tracking dates for our passports were right on. 

I want to thank everyone who responded to my post regarding our fears of getting our passports in time for our cruise.   It is all worked out and we can get excited for our trip again.  

• Like 4

I have our passport renewal forms completed and ready to mail.  We cruise November 2 on Mariner, visiting Coco Cay, Nassau, and Cozumel.  I wanted to renew, since our passports expire 5/7/2024, so almost exactly six months later.  My husband read an article this morning about renewals taking up to six months.  Should we wait and renew after the cruise (and break the six months rule)  or send them in and risk travelling with only a BC and DL?

I would wait. They are still fine for use under 6 months if you needed to jump on a plane and fly home for emergencies etc. Especially for that itinerary. Send them off the minute you get back.

Edited by RyderJ201
  • Like 3

State Department received our renewal app April 28 and approved our renewed passports July 5. we received them in the mail July 11. Sent in regular renewal, not expedited. Note, not all countries have the rule that passports must be valid for travel at least 6 months after your visit.

• Like 1

So glad I still have a few weeks before my cruise. Checked my status today. Still says "in process". It is nearing five months now. 

Someone should announce coffee break is over. DMV is a walk in the park compared to this.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hangman115 said:

So glad I still have a few weeks before my cruise. Checked my status today. Still says "in process". It is nearing five months now. 

Someone should announce coffee break is over. DMV is a walk in the park compared to this.

Call and tell them U are sailing in 2 weeks . Supervisor will/ May OK it and get in 3 Days.

Bilge Rat

30 minutes ago, Hangman115 said:

Have you asked your member of Congress or Senators to assist you?  They all have an (actually usually multiple) Office of Constituent Services.  They should at least be able to determine if there is a legitimate reason for the hold up or if paperwork has been lost.

• Like 1

Just now, capriccio said:

Have you asked your member of Congress or Senators to assist you?  They all have an (actually usually multiple) Office of Constituent Services.  They should at least be able to determine if there is a legitimate reason for the hold up or if paperwork has been lost.

Saw a couple reports on a couple major news networks a week or so ago. Members of Congress are NO LONGER able to assist in pushing the applications forward.

I have my other docs as backup if need be. I have another b2b in OCT and and another b2b in NOV. So i should have the passport by those.

So if need be, I have plan B that will get me on the ship. That is birth cert and state ID.

Just now, Hangman115 said:

Saw a couple reports on a couple major news networks a week or so ago. Members of Congress are NO LONGER able to assist in pushing the applications forward.

I have my other docs as backup if need be. I have another b2b in OCT and and another b2b in NOV. So i should have the passport by those.

So if need be, I have plan B that will get me on the ship. That is birth cert and state ID.

This is a major responsibility of these Congressional offices.  You are a constituent (and taxpayer) who needs assistance.  While you are reminding them of that (politely of course), ask how their boss has voted on the State Department's budget in the past few years especially funding for personnel (both civil servants and contractors) and new or improved IT systems.  Then ask what they are doing to address the immediate backlog.

Whether they can or cannot push the applications forward, they should be able to get a status from the State Department.  Five months is a very long time even with the current issues.  I would be worried that it wasn't workload impacting the processing of my renewal but some even more serious issue (missing paperwork, issues with the photo, the passport agency never receiving the renewal, etc.). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hangman115 said:

I agree with capriccio:

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

Five months is a very long time even with the current issues.  I would be worried that it wasn't workload impacting the processing of my renewal but some even more serious issue (missing paperwork, issues with the photo, the passport agency never receiving the renewal, etc.).

It says in process so they must have received it but perhaps they sent notification that there was a problem with the picture and it went astray or perhaps their process has lost your application. 5 months is about 21 weeks which is approaching twice the 10-13 weeks that they are predicting for processing. 

With that length of time, there is a chance that something is broken and the passport will never appear without some intervention. Time to call and ask what's going on. 

Edited to add:

This page has instructions for calling to get your passport in time for travel:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast.html

This trip provides a reason to call and if it doesn't hurry the passport up enough, you have a work around but hopefully will get it in time for the next ones. 

Edited by new_cruiser
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, handbellplayer said:

I have our passport renewal forms completed and ready to mail.  We cruise November 2 on Mariner, visiting Coco Cay, Nassau, and Cozumel.  I wanted to renew, since our passports expire 5/7/2024, so almost exactly six months later.  My husband read an article this morning about renewals taking up to six months.  Should we wait and renew after the cruise (and break the six months rule)  or send them in and risk travelling with only a BC and DL?

Department of State got our renewal application on May 9, 2023, we received our renewed passports 2 or 3 days ago, just as advertised.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, handbellplayer said:

So, rather than reading the internet, go to the passport processing agency, the Department of State and see what they say.... 

image.png.dc0b8e7327d28d36f5cd6af1d91f9883.png

Edited by BirdTravels

My passport expired less than 30 days after a cruise last and had no issues. More of an issue when traveling internationally by flying. Mine was put away during the pandemic and just never even occurred to me to look. But you can also send them in and use birth certs and drivers license if not received back in time. For renewals you need not send in the birth certificates.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Scoobydobe7 said:

My daughters expire April 4, 2024 and we have a cruise on Nov 12, 2023...Shouod I be getting her a new passport now??

Depends on if flying international and where the cruise is departing from and returning to.

On 7/8/2023 at 3:58 PM, sweetgirl26 said:

Mailed both our passports separately on June 12th using expedited service. Passports were both received on June 16th. I received my new passport today!!! My husband's passport is still in process. Our passports were mailed  from Florida. 

My husband's passport arrived today!