The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday May 28th, 2023

richwmn

For Terri's research purposes these links are to the dates we had the cities as our port of the day.

Ronne, Denmark (Bornholm Island)

Kristiansand, Norway

Haugesund, Norway

Molde, Norway

Trondheim, Norway

Tallinn, Estonia

The rest of your ports are no-shows.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 7

Terri @Cruzin Terri We were in Gothenburg on the Eurodam in 2014.  We spent the day going on a canal boat ride and walked to the beautiful botanical gardens. It's an easy DIY port.  Here are some of my photos. 

Canal boat ride

canalboatride2.jpg.f1b06dd0c12160dff259bb2737f0908d.jpg

Botanical Gardens

botanicalgarden.jpg.6177430ee65210f225c8c725d80bc6f4.jpg

Gardens

garden.jpg.540239c0a00089eb2f55765c5295d1cd.jpg

I loved this view from a park bench.

viewfromparkbench.jpg.c1bec85d8cb9eda79a07b5b952327514.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4

10 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Terri @Cruzin Terri We were in Gothenburg on the Eurodam in 2014.  We spent the day going on a canal boat ride and walked to the beautiful botanical gardens. It's an easy DIY port.  Here are some of my photos. 

Canal boat ride

canalboatride2.jpg.f1b06dd0c12160dff259bb2737f0908d.jpg

Botanical Gardens

botanicalgarden.jpg.6177430ee65210f225c8c725d80bc6f4.jpg

Gardens

garden.jpg.540239c0a00089eb2f55765c5295d1cd.jpg

I loved this view from a park bench.

viewfromparkbench.jpg.c1bec85d8cb9eda79a07b5b952327514.jpg

Carolyn, that looks lovely and like something we'd enjoy doing.  Thanks for adding to the discussion.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I almost forgot the port of the day.  Macapa sits near the mouth of the Amazon (North shore) and almost precisely on the equator.  It's a tender port but on Decenber 5, 2013 MS Prinsendam went a few miles further upstream to dock at Puerto Santana to avail ourselves of a dock.

santana.jpg

I had a "Macapa Highlights" tour and our first stop  was Fortaleza, a fortification that never saw shots fired in anger:

fortaleza.jpg

We were warmly welcomed by the locals although their buses displays ran a bit short:

welcome.jpg

We visited an open air museum of river life.  We saw a floating market that brought goods up to remote villages on tributaries:

floatmarket.jpg

market.jpg

We also saw a typical river house:

riverhouse.jpg

My favorite spot was the equator monument where there was a line and we could stand with one foot in the northern hemisphere and the other in the southern:

equator.jpg

Roy

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

Thought I should check in as I have been reading this daily, but didn't have anything significant to add.  Good weather here, so have been doing yard work for the last few days.  Today I repainted the railings on my deck as my son and I will replace the wood decking in a week or two with Trex like boards and I didn't want to drip any paint on the new boards.  I was impressed how many members of the Daily pitched in with useful info on some obscure (to me) Scandinavian ports a few minutes after a member asked for it.  I don't do Twitter or You Tube or the other popular social media sites, but I do enjoy checking into CC every day.

Ray

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Thought I should check in as I have been reading this daily, but didn't have anything significant to add.  Good weather here, so have been doing yard work for the last few days.  Today I repainted the railings on my deck as my son and I will replace the wood decking in a week or two with Trex like boards and I didn't want to drip any paint on the new boards.  I was impressed how many members of the Daily pitched in with useful info on some obscure (to me) Scandinavian ports a few minutes after a member asked for it.  I don't do Twitter or You Tube or the other popular social media sites, but I do enjoy checking into CC every day.

Ray

Thanks Ray.  We miss seeing you here and many others who used to post.  We can use your experience as well.

• Like 12

Sandi and Lenda thank you for all you did.  I can't believe you took all that time to find all the threads for those ports that I can look at to get ideas.  You people are so wonderful to help me.

I cannot thank you enough.

A big THANK YOU.

Terri

• Like 14

@marshhawk so sorry to hear of your Covid. A number of friends who have avoided Covid until now are down with it. I think even the most careful of us have loosened up and that’s why. No one has been too sick and hope your case is a mild one.

Speaking of fraud - we got one of those grandchild in need calls last week.  In an ornery mood, I played along for a while. When he said he needed money for some problem and could I do anything for him. I said I would pray for him. He said F——- You and hung up on me. To me, this is an especially heinous scam. We were in no danger as we don’t have grandchildren.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

11 minutes ago, srdancer said:

@marshhawk so sorry to hear of your Covid. A number of friends who have avoided Covid until now are down with it. I think even the most careful of us have loosened up and that’s why. No one has been too sick and hope your case is a mild one.

Speaking of fraud - we got one of those grandchild in need calls last week.  In an ornery mood, I played along for a while. When he said he needed money for some problem and could I do anything for him. I said I would pray for him. He said F——- You and hung up on me. To me, this is an especially heinous scam. We were in no danger as we don’t have grandchildren.

I love it.  It reminds me of our older DD.   As background, at our house at the time,  we had two phone lines, one personal, and one for the business.  We were getting calls in the mornings with just heavy breathing.  She said, while I was still on the phone,  next time let her handle.  She'd tell me to get on the other line, call the police and tell them it was the pervert again.  He heard her and never called again.

Lenda

• Like 14

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

My favorite spot was the equator monument where there was a line and we could stand with one foot in the northern hemisphere and the other in the southern:

equator.jpg

What a great picture, and great location!  Thanks for sharing @rafinmd

Edited by ocean sounds
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

While in the back yard, I started deadheading and pulling weeds, and found a weedy thing that smelled like....Cilantro.  Anyone who knows me knows I detest the stuff, and whatever this is has to be related to Cilantro.  Now my garden gloves smell like it and I'm itching all over and have a headache.  People laugh that I hate Cilantro, but I really do think I have a mild allergy to it.

Cilantro is one of my triggers for migraine headaches. I actually like cilantro and many of the foods where it can be found.

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

Cilantro is one of my triggers for migraine headaches. I actually like cilantro and many of the foods where it can be found.

I'm sorry to hear about the migraines. And it's in so many dishes now.  

Thankfully my headaches are mild so other than really not liking the taste (I'm one of those people who thinks it tastes like soap) I don't have a strong reaction to it.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1