Looking at 12:10 flight home from Miami - doable or too stressful?

squierjosh

Sailing next March. One flight option is 12:10 out of Miami (we'll be on Horizon). What would be the process for making sure we get off the ship ASAP and onto the shuttle to the airport? Is it faster if we take our luggage with us? Or is 12:10 just pushing it a little close and not worth the headache?

If you carry your own luggage off, you'll likely be off the ship by 8:00. Tell them at guest services that you have an early flight. They make allowances for that. It shouldn't be a problem.

• Like 1

Do self assist off the ship and hop the first cab you see. I have an 11AM out of FLL. Talked with many off the cruise this past weekend. Everyone that did self assist and went to FLL were there by 8:30AM. Now, this doesn't take into account delays getting into port or anything else. In those cases, a lot of people are going to have issues anyway.

• Like 2

A 12:10 flight out of Miami is plenty of time.  We got off the Spirit in April over Easter and had a 9:30 am flight out of Miami.  We made it with an hour to spare.  Normally, I would never book a 9:30 am flight, but the only other option was the 5:30 pm flight from Miami to Chicago--then another 3-hour drive home and we had to work the next morning. We took the chance and made it.  Luckily!

• Like 1

I should add, the other option is 2:55. And there's 2 adults, 2 kids. Not sure how that works with grabbing a cab. Maybe an Uber XL? I mean if we're off by 8:30-9:00, it only takes about a half hour to get to the airport, correct?

2 hours ago, carib1 said:

A 12:10 flight out of Miami is plenty of time.  We got off the Spirit in April over Easter and had a 9:30 am flight out of Miami.  We made it with an hour to spare.  Normally, I would never book a 9:30 am flight, but the only other option was the 5:30 pm flight from Miami to Chicago--then another 3-hour drive home and we had to work the next morning. We took the chance and made it.  Luckily!

So you got to the airport at what time? An hour to spare makes it sound like you were there at 6:30, since you're supposed to be there 2 hours early. 😛

39 minutes ago, squierjosh said:

I should add, the other option is 2:55. And there's 2 adults, 2 kids. Not sure how that works with grabbing a cab. Maybe an Uber XL? I mean if we're off by 8:30-9:00, it only takes about a half hour to get to the airport, correct?

How much luggage will you have? You would need to make sure it'll fit in an UberXL. Also, how old are the kids?  Are you sure you want to self assist on the luggage?

If you take the 2:55 out of Miami, you can do Carnival's excursion South Beach Experience and MIA transfer. While a little pricey, it's low stress and provides something to do while waiting for your flight. 

To do Carnival's Everglades excursion, you need to depart MIA at 3:30 or later (or FLL at 3pm or later).  This is what we're doing.

4 hours ago, squierjosh said:

I would not want to have to spend that much time at MIA with kids. Take the noon flight...you'll be fine. Also there are van type taxi's...easy to do.

I've made that flight many times.  That being said, any delays can turn it into a very stressful day.  Definitely take your own luggage off.  Last cpl cruses we didn't and they didn't even start calling luggage tags until 10.  I think they are trying to push more people into self assist.

44 minutes ago, vwrestler171 said:

I've made that flight many times.  That being said, any delays can turn it into a very stressful day.  Definitely take your own luggage off.  Last cpl cruses we didn't and they didn't even start calling luggage tags until 10.  I think they are trying to push more people into self assist.

Do you have to sign up for self-assist? Or does it just happen automatically if you don't leave your bags in the hallway?

3 hours ago, squierjosh said:

Do you have to sign up for self-assist? Or does it just happen automatically if you don't leave your bags in the hallway?

You will get a notice in your cabin about how you'll be disembarking. However just don't leave your luggage out...and note the time self assist will start from your cruise. I'm not sure that anyone really cares or makes note of it. Luggage tags may or may not be left in your cabin so just disregard them.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2023 at 10:10 AM, squierjosh said:

Sailing next March. One flight option is 12:10 out of Miami (we'll be on Horizon). What would be the process for making sure we get off the ship ASAP and onto the shuttle to the airport? Is it faster if we take our luggage with us? Or is 12:10 just pushing it a little close and not worth the headache?

We had a flight at 11:54am out of Fll after our cruise on Celebration. We carried our bags off, had a shuttle pick us up. We were through security and at the gate about 9:30am.

I wouldn’t think twice about leaving from Miami at noon.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2023 at 8:30 PM, squierjosh said:

Just don't put your bags out and they will call you by muster station.

On 5/30/2023 at 2:34 PM, squierjosh said:

So you got to the airport at what time? An hour to spare makes it sound like you were there at 6:30, since you're supposed to be there 2 hours early. 😛

We got to the airport at 8:00am and boarding was at 9:05--so an hour to spare.  I was a nervous wreck that morning.  Debarkation was a cluster **** and I was sweating bullets!!

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, xcell said:

Although these things don't happen to often but when it does -- early morning flights might be missed...

PortMiami has re-opened after a closure of almost 12 hours. Over 15,000 disembarking and 15,000 embarking passengers have had their plans delayed.  What a mess.  I was surprised and pleased for disembarking passengers to see this in current Sun Sentinel (the local newspaper) reporting:

Greg Chin, a spokesperson for Miami International Airport said MIA notified domestic airlines about the situation at the port, and they are waiving rebooking fees for cruise passengers affected by the situation at the port.