Paul ludlow

binman2

“There has never been a more auspicious time for our two brands,” said Ludlow.

“P&O Cruises continues to deliver outstanding success and is clearly at the forefront of contemporary, mainstream holidays.

Aligned with global talent including Gary Barlow and Nicole Scherzinger, as well as credible, authentic partnerships such as the recent BAFTA Television Awards sponsorship, the future of the brand could not be brighter.”

I think that says everything. 

And in their new roles, Phillip and Holly later commented………..

• Like 5
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, binman2 said:

Carnival PLC - Carnival appoints Ludlow as president Carnival UK & P&O

Well, that's left my jaw on the floor...

Seems that Sture Myrmell is leaving Carnival Corp completely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

I bet a round of applause from the Cunarders.

Which will get even more enthusiastic when they find out the new Cunard President is fresh from 20 years with TUI....

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Although I am a Cunard fan, it does need to modernise. The silly auto gratuities and 15% service charges on beverages and onboard services are simply old fashioned now. P&O proved that by doing away with them. QM2 is nearly 20 years old now and I'm afraid showing it. I know she is due a refit this autumn.

The new P&O ships Iona and Arvia are amazing. In my opinion 🙃

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, swanseaboy said:

Although I am a Cunard fan, it does need to modernise. The silly auto gratuities and 15% service charges on beverages and onboard services are simply old fashioned now. P&O proved that by doing away with them. QM2 is nearly 20 years old now and I'm afraid showing it. I know she is due a refit this autumn.

Fair point. When we compared the two brands, whilst the list of what we preferred about Cunard was much longer than what we preferred about P&O, top of the latter list was the fact that tips are included on P&O. I didn’t feel comfortable removing the auto gratuities on QM2, but I also tipped our 3 waiters, 2 restaurant managers and our cabin steward personally, so ended up tipping twice. Thank goodness it was a short cruise 😂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, swanseaboy said:

As I understand it Cunard is ran according to the US based cruise lines system regards tips/service charges, as it is targeted partly at the US market and of course they use the US$ as the onboard currency. 

We are off to the US in the autumn and were very surprised to learn that, even in land based places over there, you are expected (indeed expected not just a case of "it would be nice if....), to tip at least 15% as the staff in restaurants and some other jobs need the tips as part of their income which is even less than they would get over here.  Seems anyone not complying is ln jeopardy of being accosted about it.  So not just an old style cruise ship thing over there, but something which as far as they are concerned is bang up to date.  If anyone can tell me what I have heard is incorrect, I would be very interested to  know about that.

Edited by tring
  • Like 2

What I do find amusing about Cunard is they sometimes advertise the QM2 crossing to Southampton as 'a transatlantic crossing to London'. I'm sure the American guests must be disappointed to see Southampton Docks!! Not quite the same as sailing under the Verrazzano Bridge with the view of Lady Liberty.

I agree Cunard uses US dollars and the tipping is so embedded in American culture that they get away with it. It just seems so old fashioned now. I know they are trying to change. The dress code has changed a lot and now no jacket is requited on an informal night. There is also an element of freedom dining on Britannia second sitting. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, tring said:

As I understand it Cunard is ran according to the US based cruise lines system regards tips/service charges, as it is targeted partly at the US market and of course they use the US$ as the onboard currency. 

We are off to the US in the autumn and were very surprised to learn that, even in land based places over there, you are expected (indeed expected not just a case of "it would be nice if....), to tip at least 15% as the staff in restaurants and some other jobs need the tips as part of their income which is even less than they would get over here.  Seems anyone not complying is ln jeopardy of being accosted about it.  So not just an old style cruise ship thing over there, but something which as far as they are concerned is bang up to date.  If anyone can tell me what I have heard is incorrect, I would be very interested to  know about that.

It's actually 20% in some of the major cities!  My BIL was chased on to the street in NY last year as he left 15%.  My US friend when in London tipped the guy at The Ivy £100 as he thought £25 each was standard.  I nearly fainted at his generosity!  Joking apart if you tell an American you don't tip they think you are a mean son of a gun and tell you so without mincing their words.

Ironically salaries in a lot of occupations in the leisure industry in the US are now higher than in the UK in a lot of areas but tipping is still very much alive.  The US Treasury assumes every worker in certain jobs gets 15-20% tips and they have to prove they didn't.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, swanseaboy said:

What I do find amusing about Cunard is they sometimes advertise the QM2 crossing to Southampton as 'a transatlantic crossing to London'. I'm sure the American guests must be disappointed to see Southampton Docks!! Not quite the same as sailing under the Verrazzano Bridge with the view of Lady Liberty...

Yes, that's quite common on the American lines. Lots of them also advertise itineraries including Paris - when they actually dock in Le Havre...

6 hours ago, Britboys said:

Which will get even more enthusiastic when they find out the new Cunard President is fresh from 20 years with TUI....

I think he has worked for Carnival for over 20 years?

45 minutes ago, davecttr said:

I think he has worked for Carnival for over 20 years?

I think Britboys is referring to Katie McAlister, new Cunard President, who used to be Chief Marketing Officer for TUI and not Paul Ludlow.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

It's actually 20% in some of the major cities!  My BIL was chased on to the street in NY last year as he left 15%.  My US friend when in London tipped the guy at The Ivy £100 as he thought £25 each was standard.  I nearly fainted at his generosity!  Joking apart if you tell an American you don't tip they think you are a mean son of a gun and tell you so without mincing their words.

Ironically salaries in a lot of occupations in the leisure industry in the US are now higher than in the UK in a lot of areas but tipping is still very much alive.  The US Treasury assumes every worker in certain jobs gets 15-20% tips and they have to prove they didn't.

Wow, that seems to put us in order then, though have a feeling I may have probs with DH who is of the opinion his normal 10% is ample and as he has just said they can chase all they like......  I was going to ask my US born SIL her opinion anyway, so he will trust her, I hope as do not want to get into a tassel.

Incidentally, what is The Ivy?

3 hours ago, tring said:

Wow, that seems to put us in order then, though have a feeling I may have probs with DH who is of the opinion his normal 10% is ample and as he has just said they can chase all they like......  I was going to ask my US born SIL her opinion anyway, so he will trust her, I hope as do not want to get into a tassel.

Incidentally, what is The Ivy?

Sorry, The Ivy is an upmarket London West End restaurant.  It's spawned a chain around the UK in recent years but the original tries to retain its exclusivity.

9 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

From what I have read there is a system in the US which is called the sub-minimum or tipped wage, which allows employers to pay lower salaries as the workers are expected to received tips regardless of the service they give. Effectively by tipping you are subsidising the employer who refuses to pay the minimum wage. 

This recent Newsweek article explains the tipping culture in the US and how it has evolved

https://www.newsweek.com/america-tipping-minimum-wage-1796267

As one who has never been or wanted to go the the US Inhave no experience of tipping there, but I only tip here if there is no service charge and the service is above and beyond what one would expect. 

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, majortom10 said:

I think Britboys is referring to Katie McAlister, new Cunard President, who used to be Chief Marketing Officer for TUI and not Paul Ludlow.

Oops, apologies Britboys.

10 hours ago, tring said:

We are off to the US in the autumn and were very surprised to learn that, even in land based places over there, you are expected (indeed expected not just a case of "it would be nice if....), to tip at least 15% as the staff in restaurants and some other jobs need the tips as part of their income which is even less than they would get over here.

When I was first sent to the US for work I was astounded when I was told that many people who work in restaurants, including many fast food outlets have zero basic pay and so rely on tips.

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 1

My friend in Dallas has a sister who works in the bakery department of a major US supermarket chain and believe it or not because her department has a coffee outlet she's paid by tips not a salary.

On the other hand, I have a friend I made in December 1999 who is employed in WDW, he was the barman in the bar of our hotel.  We met on his first night of employment and he was working at Disney's lowest grade hotel.  Four years later we came across each other again in Disney's Grand Floridian where he was now a senior barman.  In that period he'd climbed the ranks, got married, become a father and bought outright a house in Celebration (a WDW township). He was 25 at that date.  WDW employed him as salaried with all the benefits accruing like health care but he was allowed to keep his tips and believe it or not those tips over four years had paid for his house.

American tipping is complex for visitors from other countries as very few are aware of the position on non waged staff.  British and Australian visitors are frequently called mean as neither country tips apart from special service.  A lot of the problems visitors encounter are actually caused by travel gurus and holiday companies in the UK extolling the "cheap" costs in the US. Basically the visitor should look at a meal on the menu showing $20 as being $24 plus of course sales tax  which doesn't show in an items price upfront eg 4% in New York, 6% in Florida, 7.25% in California, 6.25% Texas or 0% in Oregon or Montana to name a few.  Alaska technically has no sales tax but municipalities have a right to levy one, Anchorage however remains free.  Confused? 

https://taxfoundation.org/publications/state-and-local-sales-tax-rates/

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/12/17/business/tips-coffee-ice-cream-touch-screens-ctrp/index.html

Edited by Megabear2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

Oops, apologies Britboys.

No problem. Yes, Mr Ludlow has been with P&O/Carnival for 21 years. The outgoing Carnival UK President had 30 years under his belt.

The new Cunard President, Katie McAlister, has been with TUI Holidays for 20 years and is their Chief Marketing Officer. Apparently, she is a "Digital Marketing" expert and is looking forward to joining Cunard as it "widens its appeal and expands its guest base"...

Karaoke in the Queen's Room anyone?........

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Britboys said:

No problem. Yes, Mr Ludlow has been with P&O/Carnival for 21 years. The outgoing Carnival UK President had 30 years under his belt.

The new Cunard President, Katie McAlister, has been with TUI Holidays for 20 years and is their Chief Marketing Officer. Apparently, she is a "Digital Marketing" expert and is looking forward to joining Cunard as it "widens its appeal and expands its guest base"...

Karaoke in the Queen's Room anyone?........

And there I was thinking it couldn't get any worse.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On the subject of tipping DH just pointed out to me that it is becoming more the norm here in the UK.  We invariably leave a tip of approx 10% when we eat out and when my sisters and I have our monthly lunch we also leave a tip.