Paul ludlow

binman2

3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Who is taking over from Paul Ludlow at P&O?

Nobody, according to the article; he stays and also takes on the role of Carnival UK President.

28 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

On the subject of Paul Ludlow and other appointments within Carnival:

Share price: Up or Down?

I doubt that the fortunes of P&O and Cunard alone, have a significant impact on the Carnival share price.

9 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I doubt that the fortunes of P&O and Cunard alone, have a significant impact on the Carnival share price.

New appointments and the response to those can make the share price unsettled.

6 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Sorry, The Ivy is an upmarket London West End restaurant.  It's spawned a chain around the UK in recent years but the original tries to retain its exclusivity.

AHH right, we do not know London and do not frequent expensive places, preferring to spend longer away.  I presume that restaurant will be well used to Americans, so perhaps a very large tip is not so unusual for them - must be a pretty good job working there.

• Like 1

I say good luck to him tbh. At the end of the day it's a business. One that went through massive upheaval with covid. One of the few businesses where they had 0 financial help. He must be doing something right to get promoted. Wether i agree or not dosnt matter. I am not a share holder and i still go on cruises. 👍 Id be more worried if someone else came in and made drastic changes. The unknown......

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

It's actually 20% in some of the major cities!  My BIL was chased on to the street in NY last year as he left 15%.  My US friend when in London tipped the guy at The Ivy £100 as he thought £25 each was standard.  I nearly fainted at his generosity!  Joking apart if you tell an American you don't tip they think you are a mean son of a gun and tell you so without mincing their words.

Ironically salaries in a lot of occupations in the leisure industry in the US are now higher than in the UK in a lot of areas but tipping is still very much alive.  The US Treasury assumes every worker in certain jobs gets 15-20% tips and they have to prove they didn't.

I was in the states in feb and didn't leave a tip at a casual pub style resturant. The manager came over right away and started to be some what aggressive that i didnt tip. I asked the manager if they tipped the workers at mcdonalds as they did the same as his waiter, took my order, got it right, delivered it to my table and that was it. He said no but then explained how they are on a minimum wage yet his staff are not and rely on tips. I then replied maybe he should pay them more and left it at that. 

No i have nothing against tipping but it has to be above and beyond not expected or to top up wages. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Who is taking over from Paul Ludlow at P&O?

Mr L is taking over from Sture Myrmell who was President of Carnival UK and Cunard Line. Mr L will be President of Carnival UK and P&O and there is a new President of Cunard Line.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lincslady said:

Very well known for all sorts of celebs. eating there - Joan Collins etc. etc.  Almost certainly lots of US rich and famous folk too.  No idea how well they might tip though.

Celebs etc in London maybe but not so many famous folk dine at the ones up here. There is still a “discretionary” service charge of 12% added to the bill though!  

20 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Probably very talented in saying "yes sir" to the bosses in Miami...

Being happy to still do his old job as well as a new one, which was likely previously paid at a higher rate might just have a bit to do with it as well.  I doubt his salary has more than double.  So it is basically a cutback.

4 minutes ago, tring said:

Being happy to still do his old job as well as a new one, which was likely previously paid at a higher rate might just have a bit to do with it as well.  I doubt his salary has more than double.  So it is basically a cutback.

Yes, I'm sure they have saved some money although it has been two people doing three jobs for a while now. I guess how much they have saved depends on how much they've had to pay the new Cunard President.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

I was in the states in feb and didn't leave a tip at a casual pub style resturant. The manager came over right away and started to be some what aggressive that i didnt tip. I asked the manager if they tipped the workers at mcdonalds as they did the same as his waiter, took my order, got it right, delivered it to my table and that was it. He said no but then explained how they are on a minimum wage yet his staff are not and rely on tips. I then replied maybe he should pay them more and left it at that. 

No i have nothing against tipping but it has to be above and beyond not expected or to top up wages. 

You would get on very well with my husband who thinks he should offer a tip - that being "to join a union and get better pay".  I do not like the sound of aggression though, could become a very nasty situation and I would just prefer to enjoy my holiday, after all we are always very careful to obey the local customs when abroad, making sure we do not wear anything that could be considered not right by the locals in a muslim country for instance.

Like you our view is that tips should be given for good service, though not often we come across anyone we do not tip at all and sometimes do go over the 10% if deserved, so if we are treated well, 15% does not sound too bad, especially if you take the tax off before calculation it.

Edited by tring
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, tring said:

You would get on very well with my husband who thinks he should offer a tip - that being "to join a union and get better pay".  I do not like the sound of aggression though, could become a very nasty situation and I would just prefer to enjoy my holiday, after all we are always very careful to obey the local customs when abroad, making sure we do not wear anything that could be considered not right by the locals in a muslim country for instance.

Like you our view is that tips should be given for good service, though not often we come across anyone we do not tip at all and sometimes do go over the 10% if deserved, so if we are treated well, 15% does not sound too bad, especially if you take the tax off before calculation it.

Reminds me of many years ago when Tony and me were in New York. We went to Little Italy for an italian meal and the service was absolutely dreadful - very unusual in the USA - certainly in those days anyway. We didn't tip and the waitress came after us suggesting that we didn't realise it was customary to tip in the USA. I quietly explained that we fully understood that and are very happy to tip when acceptable service had been given but unfortunately her service was very poor and therefore we would not be tipping. She was not a happy bunny...

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Mr L is taking over from Sture Myrmell who was President of Carnival UK and Cunard Line. Mr L will be President of Carnival UK and P&O and there is a new President of Cunard Line.

So does that mean that he won’t have anything to do with Cunard? If so, that’s a relief. However, what does Carnival U.K. comprise other than P&O and Cunard?

13 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

So does that mean that he won’t have anything to do with Cunard? If so, that’s a relief. However, what does Carnival U.K. comprise other than P&O and Cunard?

As I understand it, Carnival UK is just Cunard and P&O. The new Cunard President (the current Marketing Chief of TUI UK & Ireland) will be the day to day CEO of Cunard but she will report to Mr Ludlow. He reports to Josh Weinstein, the Carnival Corp President in Miami.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

Reminds me of many years ago when Tony and me were in New York. We went to Little Italy for an italian meal and the service was absolutely dreadful - very unusual in the USA - certainly in those days anyway. We didn't tip and the waitress came after us suggesting that we didn't realise it was customary to tip in the USA. I quietly explained that we fully understood that and are very happy to tip when acceptable service had been given but unfortunately her service was very poor and therefore we would not be tipping. She was not a happy bunny...

On a past holiday in the US we were told by the holiday rep to tip 10% if you got poor service, 15% for average service and 20% for good service.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, tring said:

I would agree with your husband on that tip. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Many years ago we had very poor service at a restaurant in Florida; as we got up to leave the waiter came up to us to say that we hadn't left a tip. My late brother-in-law glared at him and said, "Here's a tip for you, don't sit down with a light bulb in your back pocket". We then left. 

• Haha 5

My wife and I met as students doing a summer job in a large restaurant. She was a waitress and I a waiter.

We were paid 12.5p per hour, and needed tips to make that up to something a little more respectable.

Can anyone explain why the17 year old female students (we had several there) earned so much more than we did as males?  🙂

• Haha 3