Plastic Ducks??

jeanlyon

My grandson (4yr) was asked if he would like one from a lady on Britannia last year and he was very happy he got to choose which one he liked.  He took it home and still has it on a shelf in his bedroom 🙂 

It was their first cruise and very excited about it all so much we're doing another in October again!

I don't think they do any more harm than other things and certainly made our young grandson happy

• Like 7

7 hours ago, FangedRose said:

And binning them reduces the amount of plastic how?

Off topic - I notice Carlisle is now in the Unitary authority of Cumberland so Cumbria is no more. Hopefully they won't forget to keep their city status unlike Rochester which is no longer a city because they did not 'renew' their royal charter when Medway was set up. - Oops

34 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Off topic - I notice Carlisle is now in the Unitary authority of Cumberland so Cumbria is no more. Hopefully they won't forget to keep their city status unlike Rochester which is no longer a city because they did not 'renew' their royal charter when Medway was set up. - Oops

Nope. Only the council has changed. The county hasn't. Still in Cumbria.

42 minutes ago, FangedRose said:

Nope. Only the council has changed. The county hasn't. Still in Cumbria.

OK, now I understand, Cumbria remains as a 'Ceremonial County' with Cumberland and Westmorland & Furness as Unitary administrative areas. Apparently the ceremonial county of Kent contains Kent and the unitary authority of Medway.  A lot of people around here say they live in Medway. Apparently if the Cumbrian authorities wanted to they could have an overall mayor or some such office.

if asked where I came from I would happily say Cumberland because it is true 🙂

12 hours ago, July morning said:

My grandson (4yr) was asked if he would like one from a lady on Britannia last year and he was very happy he got to choose which one he liked.  He took it home and still has it on a shelf in his bedroom 🙂 

It was their first cruise and very excited about it all so much we're doing another in October again!

I don't think they do any more harm than other things and certainly made our young grandson happy

Well exactly - for kids yes.  But not on an Adult ship

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

Well exactly - for kids yes.  But not on an Adult ship

As it was you Jean that started this thread and raised awareness, inadvertently encouraging people to partake, I suggest we all collect them and send them down to you... 

They will look great floating around the harbour😂

Andy 

• Haha 17

I wouldn’t go looking for them as that’s a kids thing really but we did find one once on a Princess ship amongst the books in the library. We just hid it again on a different shelf. I don’t see the point of taking them home that just means people will buy more and hide then rather than them being recycled. 
It’s all getting a bit Americanised on P & O now with this duck think, like a lot of other things in the UK. Although I agree I’m sure on a big family ship it gives the kids something to look out for. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

All this plastic duck thing is new to me.  Our next two cruises are on the adult ships, so I doubt we'll come across any.  Sounds fun though.

I think I prefer the excitement over pineapples on adult ships rather than ducks. But I can never work out whether tinned or fresh is best.

• Haha 7

Its a bit of fun. People of all ages enjoy a bit of hide and seek. Children love it as there is a prize at the end. Adults enjoy it too, some collect the ducks from other people all over the world and some use the ducks to advertise stuff and net work. 

I wont touch on the environmental debate .

But some people need to just chill and enjoy themselves a bit and enjoy the enjoyment it brings to children and adults. Not every adult wants to sit at a bar or library in slippers drinking or snoozing on a cruise. Lol

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

All this plastic duck thing is new to me.  Our next two cruises are on the adult ships, so I doubt we'll come across any.  Sounds fun though.

We always have a look. If We find any they are going home with us. Too good for kids.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Scots Couple said:

Pineapple spotting was much more fun🤣🤣

These are my old swim shorts. I don't wear them since that nice American Lady asked for my cabin number.

20230603_115533.jpg

• Haha 15

1 hour ago, Camberley said:

I think I prefer the excitement over pineapples on adult ships rather than ducks. But I can never work out whether tinned or fresh is best.

I’m not sure as the whole pineapple thing is not something someone made up on facecloth as a joke, others ran with it and now people actually believe it. Has anyone actually seen one on a door? 

1 hour ago, Jazzytelly said:

I’m not sure as the whole pineapple thing is not something someone made up on facecloth as a joke, others ran with it and now people actually believe it. Has anyone actually seen one on a door? 

Yes I have. Walked past though....honest🤣

• Haha 4

On 6/2/2023 at 12:05 AM, Ardennais said:

I’m certainly not going to hide my prize duck. She’s too precious!

IMG_0072.thumb.jpeg.2b6d83959e390942c9fe0a652be413f9.jpeg

After today's result they will sound like a bird - going cheap...

• Haha 1