Odd things we sometimes like to bring with us on a cruise

larrybritt

10 hours ago, damiross said:

After 6 cruises, many airplane flights, hotel stays, etc., I have remained healthy.  I do admit one time I got on a plane with a stuffed head.  Not recommended!  I swear the pilot took his sweet time going from cruise to landing just to maker my ears hurt more.

On a serious note, I find this posting to be quite condescending.  I thought of a quote from Planet of the Apes when I read this post.  It was the first words spoken to the apes by a human:  "Take your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape!" 

Your last paragraph re finding my comments condescending is interesting.

I in no way am being critical or disparaging of the room steward. I like our stewards. But as I mentioned before one sure conduit of Norwalk at least or an GI infection ( read ‘poop) is staff/ supplies moving from cabin to cabin,

I also liked my medical lab coworkers yet was required to wipe down with industrial grade disinfectant any surface anyone had touched. It’s just being precautionary not condescending. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, jackiel3290 said:

Those motion sensors were a problem for my husband. I am the one getting up during the night. Blue tape is a great suggestion. There is also the sensor that turns on the closet light. It is really bright. I am not sure where the sensor is for that.

It is located on the side of the light itself.  Not too hard to reach because those ceilings are not "full height".

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, remydiva said:

I also liked my medical lab coworkers yet was required to wipe down with industrial grade disinfectant any surface anyone had touched. It’s just being precautionary not condescending. 

I look at that as an apple/orange comparison.  There's a big difference between a medical lab and a cruise ship.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2023 at 11:59 AM, Rick&Jeannie said:

Many people have commented that they do not like the "new" motion sensor lights on the nightstand and in the "hallway" outside the bathroom.  It can be quite annoying for the person still in bed if the other gets up in the middle of the night.  Take a short length of blue painters tape wrapped on a pen or any other type of item that packs easily.  Tear off about 3-4 inches for each motion sensor.  Blue tape removes very easily and will not harm the sensor at all.  I carry this wrapped on a popsicle stick and carry it in my little "emergency" toolkit (a very small plastic pouch with things like ty-wraps, tiny/medium screwdrivers & anything I can think of that might get you out of a bind.)

We use magnets and tissues lol

those lights areeeee annoying 😜

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bwana Tom said:

hen the airlines once damaged our luggage I asked the guy taking the report if he thought when the baggage handlers went on vacation themselves if they stand back 6 or 8 feet from the trunk of their car and throw their bags inside, but I got no answer. 

Priceless!! 🤣

• Haha 2

On 6/2/2023 at 8:21 AM, CruzeQueen2 said:

@YehootuWhen were you on the Crown last? I'm getting worried about the condition of the mattresses. I may switch to another sailing on another ship. Crown has many pluses, over the Royal class ships, but a bad bed is not acceptable. TIA 

We were on the Crown in March/April for 28 days, our mattress was fine for us but everyone has their own preferences.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, damiross said:

I found out every building has a built-in back scratcher.  I use the door frames to scratch my back. 🙂

Far too many walls and door jambs have rounded corners. It's getting harder to find nice scratching places. I also use trees.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, LACruiser88 said:

You only have to cover the sensors which are about the size of a quarter.  We use black electrical tape.

Your suggestion about that link-up cable you used to stream from your tablet was a good one!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We bring individual packets of Via instant coffee from Starbucks (or your preference) to add to the room service coffee urn - one or two to the pot usually does the trick. Without the additive, it can be quite tasteless. The top of the urn just twists off easily. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

As a retired endodontist, I never leave home without a dental repair kit.  If you’re cruising internationally, or to remote locations, finding a dentist can be challenging, to say the least.  I suggest that you ask your dentist to give you a little emergency packet, containing temporary filling material, oral cotton swabs, a small plastic monojet syringe for rinsing difficult areas, an interproximal brush and some Sensodyne toothpaste.

If you’re in the middle of treatment, be it root canals or crown and bridge, your dentist can also supply you with a prescription for antibiotics or pain meds, just in case of a flare up.

I know it’s not at the top of anyone’s list, but if something happens when you’re away from home, it can either make or break your vacation.  I’ve used my kit twice for fellow passengers.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, loge23 said:

Your suggestion about that link-up cable you used to stream from your tablet was a good one!

For those who missed my Live thread from the Sapphire a few months ago, I posted what we use to stream via the TV while charging our tablet at the same time.

The HDMI cable goes from the back of the TV to the below adapter.

Screenshot_20230316-131226_AmazonShopping.thumb.jpg.72789fcd68d928320e7e7c71cae1270e.jpg

I use our tablet charging cable from the below adapter to power source.  And the tablet is connected to the short cable coming out of the adapter.

Screenshot_20230316-131158_AmazonShopping.thumb.jpg.bf7d22fa5891e149f4949647e183e190.jpg

• Like 1

There are some really interesting items in this thread. Something I take with me is an extra pair of glasses. I was grateful, when I broke my regular pair on a trip, to have the second pair. (I wouldn't have been able to merely repair them as the hinge was snapped off.)

Other items I take with me: a notebook - for the highlights, cold/cough remedies, a pack of disinfectant wipes*, towel clips, laundry pods and dryer sheets, and magnets.

*I generally use the wipes most often on my flights. A friend, who is a pilot for a Canadian airline, told me once that the crew are now responsible for cleaning between flights. He also shared some of the stories of what people use those trays for. In addition studies have shown that the arm and head rests are also repositories. You're in an enclosed tube with a good air filtration system, but...

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Sasksilver said:

Something I take with me is an extra pair of glasses. I was grateful, when I broke my regular pair on a trip, to have the second pair. (I wouldn't have been able to merely repair them as the hinge was snapped off.)

I always take my "regular" progressive glasses - mostly for watching TV - and 2 pairs of my cheapo readers from Amazon. I lost my only pair of glasses on one cruise. They were prescription glasses. I was told that "all" found items are turned in at Guest Services but mine weren't there. They I mentioned it at one of the Lido bars and the bartender pulled out a large collection of glasses but, again, mine weren't there. (So much for "all" being turned in at Guest Services...) Since then I've always traveled with extra glasses. I read a lot so extra readers are essential and I buy them cheap from Amazon so, eventually, the left earpiece always breaks.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sasksilver said:

There are some really interesting items in this thread. Something I take with me is an extra pair of glasses. I was grateful, when I broke my regular pair on a trip, to have the second pair. (I wouldn't have been able to merely repair them as the hinge was snapped off.)

I bring an extra pair of (prescription) sun glasses. I can go with out regular glasses but not sunglasses!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Coral said:

I bring an extra pair of (prescription) sun glasses. I can go with out regular glasses but not sunglasses!

We always travel with backup pairs of Rx sunglasses and several extra pair of readers.

I can't tell you how many times I've lost readers in taxi's/cars/buses/trains!  We buy ours in bulk at the "big box store."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

As a retired endodontist, I never leave home without a dental repair kit.  If you’re cruising internationally, or to remote locations, finding a dentist can be challenging, to say the least.  I suggest that you ask your dentist to give you a little emergency packet, containing temporary filling material, oral cotton swabs, a small plastic monojet syringe for rinsing difficult areas, an interproximal brush and some Sensodyne toothpaste.

If you’re in the middle of treatment, be it root canals or crown and bridge, your dentist can also supply you with a prescription for antibiotics or pain meds, just in case of a flare up.

I know it’s not at the top of anyone’s list, but if something happens when you’re away from home, it can either make or break your vacation.  I’ve used my kit twice for fellow passengers.

OK......am I there first person ere googling " endodonist?

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, tml1230 said:

OK......am I there first person ere googling " endodonist?

Just look up “the dentist everyone hates”!  Root canals get a bad rap but if you have tooth pain I’m your best friend, well sorta. lol

Edited by Lady Arwen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3