Niew Statendam, Neptune Suite??

jules815

If you were sailing on New Statendam in a Neptune suite, which one would you choose or avoid, and why?  Also, would prefer Starboard side since this will be an eastbound transatlantic.

Am I correct in that a move up to Neptune gets you Club Orange and some other things included?  (This will be our first time sailing with HAL)

Neptune Suites get all the CO benefits and more.

Aft corner Neptunes are very popular, but, having been in all but deck 8 aft corners, I would suggest only deck 4 or 7.

Otherwise, it is mentioned here frequently to avoid the SQ and SCs. They have some balcony size issues.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Neptune Suites get all the CO benefits and more.

Aft corner Neptunes are very popular, but, having been in all but deck 8 aft corners, I would suggest only deck 4 or 7.

Otherwise, it is mentioned here frequently to avoid the SQ and SCs. They have some balcony size issues.

Good to hear! In the process of booking 4211 with my ta right now.

47 minutes ago, jules815 said:

If you were sailing on New Statendam in a Neptune suite, which one would you choose or avoid, and why?  Also, would prefer Starboard side since this will be an eastbound transatlantic.

Am I correct in that a move up to Neptune gets you Club Orange and some other things included?  (This will be our first time sailing with HAL)

In addition to what @CruiserBruce said, we found access to the concierge in the Neptune lounge enough of a benefit to motivate me to book a stateroom between the lounge and the elevators on our second HAL cruise, but you'd have to be on 7 for that.

Access to the lounge has other benefits, such as some items for breakfast and snacks all day, but having access to a concierge who can handle almost any issues made it worthwhile for us.

On the Rotterdam, in addition to walking to the lounge, we had easy access to the concierge from our phone, but that didn't seem to have been the case on the Noordam.

The midship Neptunes are larger and laid out better than the corner afts. I love the afts on Signature and Vista ships, but not on the PInnacles. I had a corner aft on K'dam (deck 6 or 7) and hated it. Odd layout, bad bathroom with a ridiculously small shower, long hike to the lounge, and on top of that, the ship rode badly at the back. Next time, I had a midship Neptune and couldn't believe how much nicer it was in all respects.

9 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

The midship Neptunes are larger and laid out better than the corner afts. I love the afts on Signature and Vista ships, but not on the PInnacles. I had a corner aft on K'dam (deck 6 or 7) and hated it. Odd layout, bad bathroom with a ridiculously small shower, long hike to the lounge, and on top of that, the ship rode badly at the back. Next time, I had a midship Neptune and couldn't believe how much nicer it was in all respects.

Oh no. This will be our first time in an aft and we were looking forward to it. I understand you can feel movement, was it horrible? Neither of us suffer from motion sickness. 

Have ridden on N. Statendam and KDam in afts for a total of 4 times. I can think of a few hours one day it was a bit rough near Iceland. The seas move, it can be rough. Not sure how one can say the ship rode "badly". The stern and the bow are going to move more in many sea conditions. Fact of life.

Were in Deck 6 aft on N. Statendam for 18 days, and can't recommend those...the smallest Neptune we have been in. Deck 7 on Kdam and deck 4 on most all the ships with aft corners are nice. Deck 5 ( family) on KDam was also a bit on the smaller side, particularly if you are splitting the beds.

N. Statendam Neptune bathrooms are better than KDam, although there wasn't anything really bad about Kdam. Just better designed on Statendam.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jules815 said:

Oh no. This will be our first time in an aft and we were looking forward to it. I understand you can feel movement, was it horrible? Neither of us suffer from motion sickness. 

It doesn't always happen. It depends on the way the waves come at the ship. In "following seas," where waves hit the ship at the back, they come in under the ship and then the ship slaps down on the water. It isn't rhythmic like pitching or rolling. It was random and jarring and it happened a few days in a row because of our direction and the weather system we were in. In all of my cruises, I never had an experience like that, and I've been aft plenty of times. It's why I booked midships for my second time on the K. 

6 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Not sure how one can say the ship rode "badly".

Because hours on end of random slap BANG is jarring and uncomfortable. I don't mind pitch or roll. I've been aft on Zuiderdam when the pitch was so strong that the drawers under the bed kept rolling in and out and that didn't bother me. We listed so much in the wind on Amsterdam that the desk drawers slid open. That didn't bother me. 

6 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

N. Statendam Neptune bathrooms are better than KDam, although there wasn't anything really bad about Kdam. Just better designed on Statendam.

I had 7188 on K'dam and the shower was smaller than a standard US phone booth. Seriously, I had my knitting with me so I had a tape measure. And no shower over the tub, so the tiny stall was the only option.

When I had the midship Neptune, I couldn't believe the improvement in one "step" from SB to SA. Bigger room, bigger bathroom and bigger shower stall. Still no shower over the tub. I've heard that they put showers over the tubs in the Neptunes of the later Pinnacles. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

When I had the midship Neptune, I couldn't believe the improvement in one "step" from SB to SA. Bigger room, bigger bathroom and bigger shower stall. Still no shower over the tub. I've heard that they put showers over the tubs in the Neptunes of the later Pinnacles. 

The shower in our midship Neptune on the Rotterdam was large enough to have a seat at the back, a few feet from where we stood for the shower. The area of the shower stall was almost as large as the area of the tub.

As the OP is asking about N. Statendam, the shower (no tub) in our aft corner Deck 6 SB on Statendam was twice the size of standard shower stalls in most ships, and had a "rain" shower head. Might be the best shower stall in our 25 cruises.

But the room was small, and not a really good layout. Deck was nice, as most of the aft SBs are.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

As the OP is asking about N. Statendam, the shower (no tub) in our aft corner Deck 6 SB on Statendam was twice the size of standard shower stalls in most ships, and had a "rain" shower head. Might be the best shower stall in our 25 cruises.

But the room was small, and not a really good layout. Deck was nice, as most of the aft SBs are.

Have only booked aft corner Neptune.

We loved the corner wraparound balcony so much I really couldn't tell you many details about the cabin itself other than DH loved the coffee pot.

Prefer deck 4 to have the extra space on the side so we can truly enjoy the best views.

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

We loved the corner wraparound balcony so much I really couldn't tell you many details about the cabin itself other than DH loved the coffee pot.

Prefer deck 4 to have the extra space on the side so we can truly enjoy the best views.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you.  We've booked 4211. 

We were originally booked for a transatlantic on a Celebrity ship sailing from Fort Lauderdale on 4/14. We're going to be there for a wedding and decided to add a cruise to the end of that trip. Wedding venue and date changed to the weekend before (6th) which left us scrambling for something that sailed on 4/7. That's how we found this cruise on HAL, which tbh, is better for us because all the ports are new. For the Celebrity TA we were booked for the first time in an aft cabin. Did a lot of research on that and so many people love those afts and we were excited to finally try it. Then I read about people not getting enough sun on TA's and you should book starboard (eastbound) to really enjoy your balcony. We were excited to find 4211 because it seems like the best of both worlds. 

(sorry for the long post)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jules815 said:

We were originally booked for a transatlantic on a Celebrity ship sailing from Fort Lauderdale on 4/14. We're going to be there for a wedding and decided to add a cruise to the end of that trip. Wedding venue and date changed to the weekend before (6th) which left us scrambling for something that sailed on 4/7. That's how we found this cruise on HAL, which tbh, is better for us because all the ports are new. For the Celebrity TA we were booked for the first time in an aft cabin. Did a lot of research on that and so many people love those afts and we were excited to finally try it. Then I read about people not getting enough sun on TA's and you should book starboard (eastbound) to really enjoy your balcony. We were excited to find 4211 because it seems like the best of both worlds. 

I believe on the side of the balcony there will be a somewhat large window washing "equipment." Doesn't bother some but bothered me enough not to book that particular room. 

Edited by reposado

12 minutes ago, reposado said:

I believe on the side of the balcony there will be a somewhat large window washing "equipment." Doesn't bother some but bothered me enough not to book that particular room. 

We had that once on our balcony; it wasn't pretty but didn't interfere with balcony space as it was at the end. I might have felt differently had it been in the middle, but other than adjusting some shots to be sure we didn't capture it in pictures, it didn't bother us. We would have been sad to miss out on that Neptune wrap suite for the week.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

We had that once on our balcony; it wasn't pretty but didn't interfere with balcony space as it was at the end. I might have felt differently had it been in the middle, but other than adjusting some shots to be sure we didn't capture it in pictures, it didn't bother us. We would have been sad to miss out on that Neptune wrap suite for the week.

Ic. We ended up booking the warp suite on deck 8 which may have its own issues (larger overhang... but may come in handy in raining Alaska). Anyways it's all first world problems right?

Enjoy the extra large balcony on deck 4!

46 minutes ago, reposado said:

Yes there is. I've seen it in pictures and it's definitely a large piece of equipment on the outside of the balcony, but that one is so huge that it's really only taking up a small portion of what we'll have. I almost feel guilty taking a room with such a massive balcony when we're only two people. We will use it though, that's for sure.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Enjoy your cruise!

Speaking of that coffee pot, do you think I'd be able to get a kettle?

8 minutes ago, jules815 said:

Speaking of that coffee pot, do you think I'd be able to get a kettle?

No, no kettles allowed.  You can get hot water from the machine, I believe and there is lots in the Neptune Lounge.

On 6/2/2023 at 9:58 AM, jules815 said:

Sorry I didn't see your questions earlier. We got off the N.S. on the 28th and were in 4211. We loved it! I know it was smaller than other Neptune Suites and it is a hike to the Neptune Lounge but for us that was not an issue. We had one day/night of moderate, 20ft, seas with a good swell and had no alarming noises, clanking, booming or whatever. We were in Norway so it was cold but we were on that balcony a lot. One side or the other was always out of the wind. On our cruise  the scenery was very important so it was the perfect choice for us.

20230514_163314.jpg

20230514_173315.jpg

20230516_121622.jpg

20230516_121638.jpg

IMG_20230514_092629470.jpg

20230518_173519.jpg

20230518_173524.jpg

20230518_173532.jpg

Edited by Sea42
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

Sorry I didn't see your questions earlier. We got off the N.S. on the 28th and were in 4211. We loved it! I know it was smaller than other Neptune Suites and it is a hike to the Neptune Lounge but for us that was not an issue. We had one day/night of moderate, 20ft, seas with a good swell and had no alarming noises, clanking, booming or whatever. We were in Norway so it was cold but we were on that balcony a lot. One side or the other was always out of the wind. On our cruise  the scenery was very important so it was the perfect choice for us.

20230514_163314.jpg

20230514_173315.jpg

20230516_121622.jpg

20230516_121638.jpg

IMG_20230514_092629470.jpg

20230518_173519.jpg

20230518_173524.jpg

20230518_173532.jpg

Thanks for posting the pictures. Your trip looked amazing. Glad to hear you enjoyed the cabin and that huge balcony. This will be our first time sailing with HAL and we're excited about this trip. We definitely use our balconies when we cruise, even when the weather's a bit chilly. I don't think that room size will be a problem for the two of us. I do see that we won't have the jacuzzi tub in the bathroom, not sure if we'd use it anyway. Love a nice shower though. It's kind of hard to tell, but is there a seat on the back wall of the shower? Thanks again!

3 minutes ago, jules815 said:

Thanks for posting the pictures. Your trip looked amazing. Glad to hear you enjoyed the cabin and that huge balcony. This will be our first time sailing with HAL and we're excited about this trip. We definitely use our balconies when we cruise, even when the weather's a bit chilly. I don't think that room size will be a problem for the two of us. I do see that we won't have the jacuzzi tub in the bathroom, not sure if we'd use it anyway. Love a nice shower though. It's kind of hard to tell, but is there a seat on the back wall of the shower? Thanks again!

Yes, there is a seat at the end of the shower. In addition to the overhead shower, there is a handheld wand and 3 vertical shower jets on the wall. 

• Thanks 1