Why don't bartenders on cruise ships know how to make a Tom Collins?

tallyho8

Just now, DarrenM said:

This may well be the case. It was like sucking on a salt tablet.

Not sure how anyone can enjoy drinking something salty as a drink mind.

The nearest thing it reminded me of was accidentally swallowing salt water whilst swimming in the sea.

Interesting analogy. I have accidentally swallowed sea water but my dirty martinis don't taste like that. It is more like a quick sharp taste that mellows.

Just now, frantic36 said:

Interesting analogy. I have accidentally swallowed sea water but my dirty martinis don't taste like that. It is more like a quick sharp taste that mellows.

Maybe it was because we had had various drinks in other bars prior to getting to the martini bar.

Taste buds might have been already sweetened.

Wife couldn't stand it either.

1 minute ago, DarrenM said:

Maybe it was because we had had various drinks in other bars prior to getting to the martini bar.

Taste buds might have been already sweetened.

Wife couldn't stand it either.

That is what I find interesting on forums like this, it is fine to have different likes and dislikes. Though my opinion is always right 😂, only joking.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DarrenM said:

I had a vodka martini with dill pickle.

It was shockingly bad.

The worst one was a martini with olive brine.

Was like sucking sea water.

The only appropriate garnishes for a martini are olives or a lemon twist. Anything else and it is not a martini. For example, garnishing a gin martini with a pickled onion makes it a Gibson. 

After the gin or perhaps vodka the only appropriate addition to a martini is vermouth to taste. Polluting a martini with the waste water from an olive jar should be a chargeable offense. 🙂

Edited by K32682
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I love a good dirty martini. But I'm not a fan of sweet drinks. Keep your strawberry daquiris, mudslides and the like away from me.

Aren't you Brits the ones who invented salt and vinegar crisps?

Hi Cynthia, a good mudslide isn't too sweet really. If made properly it should be tasting like a boozy milkshake🙂

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I love a good dirty martini. But I'm not a fan of sweet drinks. Keep your strawberry daquiris, mudslides and the like away from me.

errrrrrrr yes, but they are food

13 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Cynthia, a good mudslide isn't too sweet really. If made properly it should be tasting like a boozy milkshake🙂

I guess I just don't like mixing my liquor with something sweet. I don't really like liquor in desserts either. 

(I will make an exception for a limoncello though. 😉 )

Edited by cruisemom42

On 6/21/2023 at 8:02 AM, cruisemom42 said:

I’m not a sweet or “foo foo” drinks, also.  But I cannot stand a dirty martini.  Probably because I am not a salter.  When I cook only pasta water gets salted.

I saw a thing today for new spritz recipes.  One was a dirty Aperol spritz.  Maybe you could make that one…

8 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I’m not a sweet or “foo foo” drinks, also.  But I cannot stand a dirty martini.  Probably because I am not a salter.  When I cook only pasta water gets salted.

I saw a thing today for new spritz recipes.  One was a dirty Aperol spritz.  Maybe you could make that one…

It's not salt I taste with a dirty martini, it's olives (which I like).

Not sure I can get behind a dirty Aperol spritz. I read about it too -- I'd be willing to try a sip.

On 6/22/2023 at 11:31 PM, cruisemom42 said:

It's not salt I taste with a dirty martini, it's olives (which I like).

Not sure I can get behind a dirty Aperol spritz. I read about it too -- I'd be willing to try a sip.

It tasted like swallowing sea water to me.

And I love olives.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/5/2023 at 6:12 PM, new_cruiser said:

I sometimes like a Gin Rickey which is gin, lime juice and soda water served over ice with a lime garnish. Almost no bartenders today know what that is. I have to ask for gin, lime juice and soda water.

After several martinis it's time to slow down a little with Gin Rickeys.  Hopefully the bartenders will know what I'm talking about. (I'm going to assume they don't have sugar-free tonic on the boat so gin and tonics are out) The sugar-free part is essential.

Edited by MacGuffin3

2 hours ago, MacGuffin3 said:

After several martinis it's time to slow down a little with Gin Rickeys.  Hopefully the bartenders will know what I'm talking about. (I'm going to assume they don't have sugar-free tonic on the boat so gin and tonics are out) The sugar-free part is essential.

You might be able to ask in advance — I have seen both Schweppes and Canada Dry sugar free tonics in many places.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my goodness Tom Collins.  I quit my job once working for my inlaws.  Went to the bar with my two co workers and one of them liked Tom Collins'.  I had never had one made the bad choice of drinking a lot of them, loved them apparently and left the bar with no shoes on.  Walked across the street and about got hit by my mother in law (wasn't as close as I make it sound).  A third co worker drove me home.  I do not drink now (barely did them)  maybe I should have one again just to see what I liked so much.  

• 5 weeks later...

who knows?

is it a common drink around the world?

They cant possibly know every variation of every drink everywhere.

if you know what you want in it, just bring a little instructions print out or such like and ask for that recipe to be made up

I don't think a lot of people realize how international many popular cocktails are. A lot of cocktails were "invented" in the Jazz age/roaring '20s when international travel was becoming easier and more popular (think of all the Americans in Paris like Hemingway and Fitzgerald...)

At any rate, both the mimosa and bloody Mary were first created in Paris. And the aperol spritz and Bellini are Italian. Cuba can claim the mojito and daquiri. And London was the birthplace of the topic-relevant Tom Collins.

In my experience, the majority of these popular cocktails are well known in watering holes wherever there is a population of tourists, ex-pats, or locals wealthy enough to indulge.

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I don't think a lot of people realize how international many popular cocktails are. A lot of cocktails were "invented" in the Jazz age/roaring '20s when international travel was becoming easier and more popular (think of all the Americans in Paris like Hemingway and Fitzgerald...)

At any rate, both the mimosa and bloody Mary were first created in Paris. And the aperol spritz and Bellini are Italian. Cuba can claim the mojito and daquiri. And London was the birthplace of the topic-relevant Tom Collins.

In my experience, the majority of these popular cocktails are well known in watering holes wherever there is a population of tourists, ex-pats, or locals wealthy enough to indulge.

the St. Regis New York may disagree on the Bloody Mary.  We were taught in our St. Regis indoctrination classes that the Bloody Mary was invented in the King Cole Bar in the SRNY by Fernand Petiot. He was French.  The named was changed to "Red Snapper" because some were offended by the name.  Whether or not it's true, it's what we were taught.  Little known fact:  Each St. Regis around the world has it's own riff on the SRNY's Bloody Mary.  My SR had the "7452 Mary", named for our altitude in the mountains.   If I'm traveling somewhere that has a St. Regis I always make a point to go into the bar and order their special Mary.

2 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

the St. Regis New York may disagree on the Bloody Mary.  We were taught in our St. Regis indoctrination classes that the Bloody Mary was invented in the King Cole Bar in the SRNY by Fernand Petiot. He was French.  The named was changed to "Red Snapper" because some were offended by the name.  Whether or not it's true, it's what we were taught.  Little known fact:  Each St. Regis around the world has it's own riff on the SRNY's Bloody Mary.  My SR had the "7452 Mary", named for our altitude in the mountains.   If I'm traveling somewhere that has a St. Regis I always make a point to go into the bar and order their special Mary.

Interesting. In the two places I looked, both said Paris -- but I imagine there are probably a lot of disputed origins out there...

Here's one, with a nice little graphic:  https://vinepair.com/wine-blog/map-birthplaces-famous-cocktails/

• Like 1