Portland on our own?

emarismom

I will be in Portland in late September from 10-7. I am thinking about just walking around and doing one of the Mail Run cruises.  Would this be a good option?  What are some things to see in the Old Port area besides shopping and eating (I will stop at Holy Donuts and get a Lobster Roll), Would I be better off renting a car for the day and if I did, where should I go?

4 hours ago, emarismom said:

I will be in Portland in late September from 10-7. I am thinking about just walking around and doing one of the Mail Run cruises.  Would this be a good option?  What are some things to see in the Old Port area besides shopping and eating (I will stop at Holy Donuts and get a Lobster Roll), Would I be better off renting a car for the day and if I did, where should I go?

I would absolutely agree with your DIY plan....enjoy !!!

• Like 1

I really like the walk along the Eastern Promenade as well - but definitely do the Mail Run (or any of the other options they happen to be running, like the Diamond run). If you are short on time, you can just do Peaks Island and back (I think you can just stay on and ride the ferry back).

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, nycfa said:

Those that did the mail run….did you stay on the boat the whole time out and back? or did you get off at any islands and catch the next ferry to get back? 

I've done it several times (not on cruises, but when visiting Portland). If you want to walk around somewhere, the short ferry to Peaks is nice. We've done that and walked around a good bit. It's lovely.

We've also stayed on Cheabgue. It's also very pretty, but you'd have to be careful about your timing.  There is also a fancy restaurant on one of the Diamond stops. I've never been, so I just know they point it out of the mail run.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, nycfa said:

Those that did the mail run….did you stay on the boat the whole time out and back? or did you get off at any islands and catch the next ferry to get back? 

I don't remember which stop it was but you had a few minutes where you could get off and walk around.  Frankly there is really nothing to do anyway.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, cleophus12 said:

mets123 what can you tell me about the train ride?  Where does it go?  Cost?  What is it called so I can look it up?

Pricing is between 15-20 dollars. It's about a 45 ride up Casco Bay. The train runs hourly.  Just Google Portland train ride.

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, ellenw said:

Been trying to access that link. Keep getting a message that it can't be viewed from my location (Northeast PA). Any ideas on how to resolve this? Thanks.

google   "narrow gage railway in Maine "  maybe it will come up

We visited the Eastern Cemetery in Portland.  It is on the National Registry of Historic Places and, at least when we were there pre-pandemic, they gave guided tours. Even our teen-age grandkids enjoyed it.  Right up the street from the cemetery is the Portland Observatory, also very interesting. Then you can stroll along the Eastern Prominade (great place for a picnic) before heading back to the ship.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ellenw said:

Been trying to access that link. Keep getting a message that it can't be viewed from my location (Northeast PA). Any ideas on how to resolve this? Thanks.

Not worked Ng from the UK either.

works for me in Canada  or I would not have found it

Maybe your setting are too strict 

The name of the company is "Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad Company "  maybe try google

• Like 1

We live in Portland and have done the mail boat run a few times. Play it by ear and see what the weather is like. I don’t think it sells out. It’s about 3 hours (a three-hour tour🎶). You can get off briefly at the outermost stop. There’s a general store there to get a snack or an ice cream. 

As other said, a short ferry ride to Peaks Island is a good option too. You can walk around the island or rent a bike, or get lunch near the ferry terminal. The ferries run frequently during the day and it’s a 15 minute ride or so. 

The ferries run regularly and reliably. 

Eastern Cemetery is interesting. But I’m biased, our son gives tours there in the summer!

Edited by CruiserFromMaine
  • Like 1

You can definitely do portland on your own! The boat docks in the heart of the city with everything in walking distance. Ferry ride is beautiful and relaxing, I’d recommend grabbing some food and drinks to bring along with you. IMO the train isn’t worth it. It goes out towards a beach and then goes back the same way you came. You could easily walk the route it goes on, as it’s next to a walking path.

1 hour ago, growthruit said:

You can definitely do portland on your own! The boat docks in the heart of the city with everything in walking distance. Ferry ride is beautiful and relaxing, I’d recommend grabbing some food and drinks to bring along with you. IMO the train isn’t worth it. It goes out towards a beach and then goes back the same way you came. You could easily walk the route it goes on, as it’s next to a walking path.

But  if you like trains  then walking is not the same thing 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I am having a hard time deciding what to do in Portland. I definitely want to do one of the mailboat/island rides and am trying to decide on taking the "Downtown Portland City and Lighthouse Tour" through Viator. Any advice and recommendations will be appreciated!

41 minutes ago, georgiacat said:

We won't be going until October

I will be there ahead of you - September 5th. The one I booked is 2 1/2 hours long and is supposed to go to 3 lighthouses. Not a bad price and my daughter is very interested in lighthouses, (much more than I am). My minimum interest in the lighthouses is one of the reasons I am debating whether to take a tour or roam on my own. Then I remember my walking ability is limited. 😕Decisions, decisions!