Celebrity is not any better than Royal Caribbean

Static events

Well I cam from RCCL moved to X- then - Cunard, with a few cruises with MSC- in their wonderful Yacht Club.

So the OP´s question was - what cruise line to turn to- so I would recommend Cunard- very refinded- very different in style, excellent service. Food comparable to X ( I never sailed in the Grills- so I can only comment on Britannia Class)

Cunard offers a very " British" cruise experience. What I never encountered where Kids on Cunard ships. Wheras on MSC ships there ( outside of Yacht Club) are - well i felt that way- 1000´s of kids.

4 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

I don't even know how to respond to posts like this.   I am sorry the OP experienced a cruise they felt was very lacking.  It was their cruise and their opinion of their experience.

All I can say is that I have sailed a lot since re-start - don't know the exact number but at least a dozen including 6 so far this year alone - in cabins from Aqua to suites on a variety of Celebrity ships, M, E, and S class.  Of all those cruises only one was somewhat below par, and far from horrible.  So from my perspective, if this cruise really was as bad as advertised, I feel it was an exception.  

The issue that I am seeing is that whereas pre pandemic there used to be a handful of people with misses and complaints,  there now seems to be a very large number.  Perhaps they are used to the old X who executed 95% of the time and was the foodie line...  

Even in your own posts you have noted that you had to adjust your expectations.  Why?

I find myself keeping my traveling expectations consistent or raising them.  And why not?

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Static events said:

same here Elite plus but I will seriously think twice going with Celebrity again…

We had the same experience on our B2B Eclipse cruise this past March-April, we were not the only passengers very unhappy!  From food to bar service. We just made Elite too.   

45 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

The issue that I am seeing is that whereas pre pandemic there used to be a handful of people with misses and complaints,  there now seems to be a very large number.  Perhaps they are used to the old X who executed 95% of the time and was the foodie line...  

Even in your own posts you have noted that you had to adjust your expectations.  Why?

I find myself keeping my traveling expectations consistent or raising them.  And why not?

Why am I adjusting my expectations you ask. The reason is that the world has changed. All companies are struggling with supply issues, difficulties hiring staff, training new staff, etc..  Cruise lines lost millions of dollars from the shutdown. In order to survive they need to make cuts and raise prices.  Only a clueless person expects life to be the same as before because it just isn’t. To expect it to be is just a recipe for disappointment. Doesn’t mean one can’t or shouldn’t address important issues when/if they happen. But it will take time for things to get back to normal.

• Like 13

14 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Why am I adjusting my expectations you ask. The reason is that the world has changed. All companies are struggling with supply issues, difficulties hiring staff, training new staff, etc..  Cruise lines lost millions of dollars from the shutdown. In order to survive they need to make cuts and raise prices.  Only a clueless person expects life to be the same as before because it just isn’t. To expect it to be is just a recipe for disappointment. Doesn’t mean one can’t or shouldn’t address important issues when/if they happen. But it will take time for things to get back to normal.

Yet I have had vacations where land vacations exceeded my expectations.  Where the businesses had zero staffing issues and zero supply chain issues.  Where they simply exceeded my expectations and went above and beyond.    Sure these were top tier companies that were run well.  This is not 2022, 2021, or 2020?  I have seen very few supply chain issues in 2023.

Regarding the cruise lines losing millions.  If their quality has declined then perhaps that is a reason to book something else...

I go down to the local steakhouse and I get a steak or fish dish that is cooked to perfection with zero staffing issues.  Why compromise?

Why is it my issue that I need to help pay down the cruise line debt and help fund new ships?

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 7

7 hours ago, Static events said:

I have been on loads of cruises with various lines but now trend to cruise only with RCCL or Celebrity. 

I recently got off the Silhouette and I can say without question it was THE worst cruise I have been on in every aspect.

Food was shocking

Entertainment in the main theatre was beyond awful, every show was extremely poor.  
Service in the bars slow 

Room attendant non existent 

Queues getting back onto the ship 

Cruise Director poor

Given the higher price point (which I don’t mind paying) I no longer see why I would cruise on Celebrity and would rather opt to cruise with RCCL. 

If not RCCL or Celebrity who else should one try?

Viking, Crystal, Oceania, Azamara, Regent are the ones who come to mind right away....

Please let us know how you enjoy these lines and how the service compares...

bon voyage

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

Yet I have had vacations where land vacations exceeded my expectations.  Where the businesses had zero staffing issues and zero supply chain issues.  Where they simply exceeded my expectations and went above and beyond.    Sure these were top tier companies that were run well.  This is not 2022, 2021, or 2020?  I have seen very few supply chain issues in 2023.

Regarding the cruise lines losing millions.  If their quality has declined then perhaps that is a reason to book something else...

I go down to the local steakhouse and I get a steak or fish dish that is cooked to perfection with zero staffing issues.  Why compromise?

Why is it my issue that I need to help pay down the cruise line debt and help fund new ships?

The primary issue is staffing. No one wants to work in hospitality. No one wants to get stuck on a shop at sea for months during a pandemic. No one wants to be the recipient of complaining guests. 

I work in tourism. The best hotels can’t get staff for better paying roles and it’s considerably more difficult to fill positions like housekeeping, servers, etc. Cruise lines face the same thing so yes, people must change their expectations. If they don’t want to do that, plan to spend more money or take a different type of holiday. 

In regards to paying down the cruiseline’s debt, if the customers don’t do that, who will? Investors might take on some of the burden but at some point they will expect ROI and that has to come from somewhere. 

But then maybe I’m overly pragmatic. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, mrgabriel said:

The primary issue is staffing. No one wants to work in hospitality. No one wants to get stuck on a shop at sea for months during a pandemic. No one wants to be the recipient of complaining guests. 

I work in tourism. The best hotels can’t get staff for better paying roles and it’s considerably more difficult to fill positions like housekeeping, servers, etc. Cruise lines face the same thing so yes, people must change their expectations. If they don’t want to do that, plan to spend more money or take a different type of holiday. 

In regards to paying down the cruiseline’s debt, if the customers don’t do that, who will? Investors might take on some of the burden but at some point they will expect ROI and that has to come from somewhere. 

Sorry to hear that you are still having problems in Canada.

Back in the USA we are back to normal and have been since the first of this year.

I hear we have many workers from down south that we could send you 🙂🙂 

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, mrgabriel said:

Perhaps they could have put a hold on building new ships and growing the business and expecting the cruiser to foot the bill.

Seriously have you looked at the current Cruise Critic reviews for whatever ship you are sailing on next.  They have dropped significantly.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 2

Hello,

So far this year I have done 1 x Cunard and 2 x MSC. Next week I will be doing my first Celebrity for this year (I am Elite Plus) and will be able to make a current comparison of the three.

Regards,

Cublet

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cublet said:

Hello,

So far this year I have done 1 x Cunard and 2 x MSC. Next week I will be doing my first Celebrity for this year (I am Elite Plus) and will be able to make a current comparison of the three.

Regards,

Cublet

how did you find Cunard and MSC post pandemic?

3 hours ago, mrgabriel said:

I oversee quite a large F&B business and it’s the same issue in the UK. No one can find staff, it must be infinitely more challenging to find staff around the world to live/work on a ship. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Azllama said:

We had the same experience on our B2B Eclipse cruise this past March-April, we were not the only passengers very unhappy!  From food to bar service. We just made Elite too.   

agree. Staff were apologetic towards us for issues we didn’t even experience 😂 they were just apologising to everyone. 

2 hours ago, Static events said:

how did you find Cunard and MSC post pandemic?

Hello,

I'll answer re MSC later, but the simple one-liner for Cunard is that I felt I was on a stage-set for a Miss Marple episode - minus the bodies.

Regards,

Cublet

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Static events said:

I oversee quite a large F&B business and it’s the same issue in the UK. No one can find staff, it must be infinitely more challenging to find staff around the world to live/work on a ship. 

Cruise ships take staff from around the world,,,,,countries stop staff coming in from around the world.
I don’t think the staffing,supply or pandemic issues can be used as excuses for poor service on cruise ships any more.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, cublet said:

Hello,

I'll answer re MSC later, but the simple one-liner for Cunard is that I felt I was on a stage-set for a Miss Marple episode - minus the bodies.

Regards,

Cublet

me too. It all felt staged and fake…

12 hours ago, basenji56 said:

Maybe they have improved it! I remember the buffet was particularly disappointing. a lot of jello. 

Oh, we try not to eat in the buffet so I can't really comment except that we both DO hate the way Princess sets it up, at least on the Royal class of ships.  We found the food in MDR and Alfredo's and Sabatini's to be easily as good as Celebrity.  We book Club Class, now called the Reserve so that may make a difference.  We aren't fond of Crown Grill. 

8 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Yes the world has changed but if Celebrity is trying to recoup their pandemic losses in part by huge increases in costs to the customer then the customer has every right, if they are willing to pay that price, to expect exceptional goods & service.  

I am in the hospitality business and YES it is very difficult to find employees, yes, we have increased our rates substantially, however we have not reduced what we provide to our customers. Sometimes we have to restrict how many rooms we have available so that we can insure proper service, which I know is common in the business these days.  I don't see Celebrity doing that, they want to sell every room every sailing (and Celebrity is not alone in this).  If you don't have proper staff to take care of your customers then at some point you begin to lose them. It is a dangerous strategy being played that may or may not pay off in the long run for them.  

For us, we're most likely done with Celebrity after 25 years.  We can't justify the cost/benefit ratio and so are looking elsewhere.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

We have gone on quite a few cruises in the last two years, and our experiences were wildly different on each one.  Our two Edge cruises and our Apex cruise were excellent.  We had great food, entertainment, and fun.  We were on HAL’s Nieuw Statendam and had an excellent cruise as well.  Then we sailed the Silhouette, and like you, had a very disappointing cruise as far as food (severe cutbacks on evening buffet, poor quality cuts of meat, etc.), bar service (we had to stand in line to get served as there wasn’t enough bar staff to wait tables), and entertainment.  This led us to book our first Oceania cruise.  We were hoping to love it, but just didn’t.  The food was better than X’s, but not every meal was a home run by any means.  The service was excellent, but the entertainment was just …blah!  (A tribute to Peggy Lee?)  We have another HAL cruise coming up for the British Isles in August, but they have changed the itinerary so much since we booked it that it barely resembles the original cruise.  Anyway, we decided to cancel our Feb ’24 cruise to Australia/New Zealand on X and contacted a company that made us an individualized self-drive itinerary—booking a car, hotels, and excursions—for New Zealand that has us very excited.  I think we are going to try spending more time on land for the time being!

• Like 1

I am not pro or con X, no cheerleader or hater effect from me but I do have concerns and have sailed pre and post shutdown so have first hand experiences. I am in no way being snarky, honestly questioning what's realistic going forward? 

All of the above posts ring true, staffing shortages, supply chain issues, rising inflation. So I ask at what point do you feel Celebrity should be able to deliver what once was? How long does the cruiser accept less and adjust expectations? I've have always LOVED Celebrity and have boasted for years to many friends about the service and food being so much better than NCL, RCCL or Princess. I can't say that now! Sadly... It's lost its luster. Celebrity was the WOW for us and now it was just FINE. No major issues and needs were met but nothing stands out as special anymore. Secondly if the cruiser accepts this as the new temporary normal and keeps giving Celebrity the pass because of all the mentioned issues, why would they ever up their product gong forward? Seems they are making bank off those who are willing to accept less. So no real incentive to improve? Many have lost years of their travel time and are willing to do whatever it takes to Go Go Go.... I am guilty of being one of them but I am also beginning to see that this isn't a temporary problem its blatant cutbacks that will never be uncut! 

I have done lands trips post covid and there is no comparison between the quality of dining & accommodations vs that on ship. So I guess my personal acceptance & adjustments going forward is my travel style. I've broadened my view to what I can see and do by land. 

Patty 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

" Secondly if the cruiser accepts this as the new temporary normal and keeps giving Celebrity the pass because of all the mentioned issues, why would they ever up their product gong forward? Seems they are making bank off those who are willing to accept less."

This is the crux of the problem.  Especially because prices have increased substantially while the experience has declined.  I am willing to give all cruise lines more time to rectify the issues---but others may justifiably disagree.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Perhaps they could have put a hold on building new ships and growing the business and expecting the cruiser to foot the bill.

Seriously have you looked at the current Cruise Critic reviews for whatever ship you are sailing on next.  They have dropped significantly.

These decisions are made YEARS in advance. They first cut steel on Ascent in June 2021, and the planning would have begun well before that. 

i put very little credence on reviews here on Cruise Critic. This website is a very small percentage of those who cruise. And we have sailed three times in the past 11 months without any of these horror stories that seem to pop up. I’m not discounting them just saying that I have not seen the issues that some others have. Maybe we’re lucky. Maybe we look for the good and overlook some of the bad. Who knows. 

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, mrgabriel said:

i put very little credence on reviews here on Cruise Critic. This website is a very small percentage of those who cruise. And we have sailed three times in the past 11 months without any of these horror stories that seem to pop up. I’m not discounting them just saying that I have not seen the issues that some others have. Maybe we’re lucky. Maybe we look for the good and overlook some of the bad. Who knows. 

I actually use them as a ranking system,  much like TripAdvisor.  On TripAdvisor I can find out the top 10 or 20 hotels in a city.  TripAdvisor is also a small percentage of travelers,  yet provides a good comparison from one hotel to the next.  The same for Cruise Critic.  If one ship has a 4.2 ranking and the other a 3.7 I can use that to make my cruise purchase decision.

Perhaps Cruise Critic reviewers are more selective?  Well that fits in with my purchasing choices as well.

Edited by NMTraveller

8 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Sorry to hear that you are still having problems in Canada.

Back in the USA we are back to normal and have been since the first of this year.

I hear we have many workers from down south that we could send you 🙂🙂 

In my experience, hotels in the States are NOT operating at full staff complements. I’ve spent about 3 dozen room nights in Hilton properties  in resort areas and big US cities in the past 18 months including as recently as last month and there is no more daily housekeeping service unless you’re paying upwards of $500 a night. A nice resort hotel offered housekeeping once every 4 nights. Restaurant service is slow. Service is stores is horrible. 

I took a picture of a sign in a coffee shop in Palm Springs. It said, “The world is short staffed. Be kind to those who show up.”

it’s a problem everywhere. If it isn’t in your region then you are fortunate. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cw2go said:

Many have lost years of their travel time and are willing to do whatever it takes to Go Go Go.... I am guilty of being one of them but I am also beginning to see that this isn't a temporary problem its blatant cutbacks that will never be uncut!  

This was us...  I remember saying to my DH "just get on a ship, any ship"  and we did.  We sailed 2 Royal cruises and then 2 Celebrity in the last 18 months.  The 1st a Royal TA and we were so happy to be on a ship it didn't matter that there was only 1 port in 13 days.  

We took 2 Apex cruises, this after saying "pre-pandemic" we had no interest in the Edge class...that went by the wayside "post-pandemic."  After our Apex TA that just ended a few weeks ago we just decided that while nothing was terribly wrong on that trip the cost just didn't justify our enjoyment.  As you said it was "nice."  We spent more than double what we had 4 years ago for the same type room.  I think we should expect it to be far more than "nice."  It wasn't.... our desire to cruise "any ship, anywhere"  is gone.  We are looking at more rewarding, more satisfying ways to spend our $$'s now.  

I'm sure Celebrity doesn't care as long as they keep filling their ships repeat business is unimportant.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1