The "feedback" ...

I would like to GET THE SKINNY on something.

When I sailed Zuidy last year, i filled out 8 of those comment cards.  The ones you obtain from the Service desk.  I had 6 people that i wanted to recognize.  One person got 3 "pages" worth of praise.  That is another subject.

Alright.  Im on the Eurodam 10 days ago.  I am at the Service desk, and there are no cards visible.  I ask one of the clerks and he says "we are out of them", and instructs me to wait for the post cruise email.  And, to give feedback that way.  Hmm.

A day later, i inquire once again.  Curious to see if a seperate clerk has the same response.  Well, she says "the ship NO LONGER uses the cards".  Hmm.  I tell her "The wooden box is still there for drop-off".  She shrugr her shoulders.  Double hmm.

1st, I like the use of pen and paper for some things.

2nd, I am slightly old fashion.

3rd, I do understand people's hand writing is, frequently, bad.

BUT, when you are IN THE MOMENT --- you want to offer praise!  Is a customer going to remember a wonderful crew member's name, etc 5 days later?!

I am not a happy camper with this.

Other HAL ships?  Recent policies on the cards?  FILL ME IN please.

Thank you.

----MisterMatthew

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, iceman93 said:

Isn't there a way to submit compliments via the Navigator app?  I realize it's more cumbersome than pen and paper, but that's probably what they've transitioned to.

I believe there is. If HAL is like most companies, they're becoming more data-driven in their operations. It makes sense for them to want to collect feedback in a digital system where they can aggregate and analyze it. Not that I like this direction – but from a business standpoint, I get it.

• Like 1

This is where you find it in Navigator.  First you click on "Connect"  which you see highlighted at the bottom of my screenshot.  Then you click on "let us know".  There you can fill out the information that you want.  Once I got used to using it, I used it much more than I ever did the paper card. 

I enjoyed following your trip; thanks so much for sharing!

Linda R.

Navigator.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

We sent praises for our favorites via Navigator. The guys and gals said they got our feedback via an email,  in their digital files, on a message board in the crew room, and one day we heard an announcement (that we wrote) praising our Lido bar server staying with my husband when he started choking. The digital file is used for management when they look for promotions,  so it's very important to record this for our favorites who go above and beyond.

1231221727.jpg

0115221028_HDR.jpg

0115221640_HDR.jpg

0103221743.jpg

1231221818a_HDR.jpg

1231221852a.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

The answer to almost everything these days is "there's an app for that."

I like that compliments get relayed to the staff member so quickly. I wonder if Navigator compliments get more attention than the ones people write on their surveys because they're immediate.

This may seem silly but i usually bring postcards from home to not only share with my table mates our contact information but to send thank you and appreciation notes to the appropriate departments. If i am not sure whom to thank, the front desk always is eager to give me the correct name. I always receive a note in kind. I like to write also, and I always send postcards from the ship. The mail service is really great. I dont mind so much that they do not provide cards, but you can always ask for a paper and pen at the front desk. I think a kind note goes a long way for them. I know the captain and crew appreciate it, as well as my comments and pics at the end of the voyage. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I wonder if Navigator compliments get more attention than the ones people write on their surveys because they're immediate.

Knowing what I know about business processes and particularly staff retention, I'd say "yes." I also suspect that they're more visible to staff behind the scenes via instant notifications, leaderboards, and similar "motivation tools." Everything is metrics-based these days.

I attempted to leave positive feedback on the Navigator for several members of the cruise staff on my spring 21 day cruise. I never received any acknowledgement for any of them, not even a Thank You for letting us know.  The only time I knew my praise was passed along was when stopped in the hallway one evening by the uniformed head officer (sorry don't remember his title) over Hotel services and he asked how are things going and if I was pleased with the service. I verbally praised my room steward as he was wonderful and probably the best I've ever had. The next day my steward told me he was notified of my praise and awarded - now hold on to your chair - a whopping $11. 😵 Oh well, guess better than nothing!  I certainly attempted to make up it at the end of the cruise.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tuolumne couple said:

This may seem silly but i usually bring postcards from home to not only share with my table mates our contact information but to send thank you and appreciation notes to the appropriate departments. If i am not sure whom to thank, the front desk always is eager to give me the correct name. I always receive a note in kind. I like to write also, and I always send postcards from the ship. The mail service is really great. I dont mind so much that they do not provide cards, but you can always ask for a paper and pen at the front desk. I think a kind note goes a long way for them. I know the captain and crew appreciate it, as well as my comments and pics at the end of the voyage. 

Many years ago, on QE2, they gave up on "experts" placed by an agency, like speakers and performers and got a staff member to run the computer room. On a cruise where the internet was difficult and she was very helpful, DH and I  filled out "You have been a star!" cards for her. The next day she saw me and thanked me, so I knew they were letting crew know.

QE2 also did "employee of the month" awards for various departments and pictures would be posted somewhere. I don't know if Cunard still does that. One time, they had a little reception and invited the Diamond world club members to the reception to see crew members recognized for their good works. The captain said we were invited because "you're family, too."

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, regnig said:

I attempted to leave positive feedback on the Navigator for several members of the cruise staff on my spring 21 day cruise. I never received any acknowledgement for any of them, not even a Thank You for letting us know.  The only time I knew my praise was passed along was when stopped in the hallway one evening by the uniformed head officer (sorry don't remember his title) over Hotel services and he asked how are things going and if I was pleased with the service. I verbally praised my room steward as he was wonderful and probably the best I've ever had. The next day my steward told me he was notified of my praise and awarded - now hold on to your chair - a whopping $11. 😵 Oh well, guess better than nothing!  I certainly attempted to make up it at the end of the cruise.

Same.  I sent a lot of positive comments about the crew because many of them were so good.  Never heard a peep.

When I asked about sending comments while still onoard, I was also directed to use the App. This was on Eurodam April/May.

I agree the box shouldn't be out if it's not going to be used, but we probably need to use the App...

There has been a box with the Hotel General Managers photo on it by the front Desk, with a stack of special paper to use to let him know about whatever you wish.  This is what I used on our last 8 cruises.  The staff concerned let me know they were informed of my praise, etc. Much easier that asking at the Front Desk for something to on!

Edited by SilvertoGold
  • Like 1

We did the same thing- there are long, narrow strips of lined paper reading "Dear ....."  (whatever the Mgr. Name is)". Ours read "Dear Wessel" on the Rotterdam.

We took a stack of papers and filled out 1 per crew member to be recognized. I also took a photo of each one, before depositing them in the box at Guest Services. Then, I was able to rewrite them on the post-cruise survey verbatim.

One of the crew told me it helped to do it the second time because that went to headquarters, unlike the papers. Politics on the ship can sometimes dictate what happens, unfortunately.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am reading through the replies, and thank you!

Yes, i am aware that the NAVAPP has a feature.  I apologize for not saying so.

But, good point.  How do you know they are read? Accepted, and so forth.  Hmm.

During the cruise, i jotted down notes, names, etc..   Glad i did, so i can compose a response to the Email Survey.

• Like 1

Not to go off topic, but i am more of the type that enjoys getting to know the crew.  Much greater degree than 

MORE COFFEE PLZ.

I like learning bout where they came from, their hobbies, siblings, what their career hopes are, and more.  I talked with one person at the pinnacle bar, turns out they do sculpting - and, showed me some things.  They worked for three cruise lines, etc, etc, etc.

People have life, stories, everything.

Sorry, don't mean to ramble.  But, they remember you --- by name --- and, like when you sit in their Section.

--Matthew

• Like 3

Ever since we began cruising, I've carried small thank you type note cards that I write in and leave either with Guest Services or drop into the comment box if there is one.  While some of us use the Navigator, I do understand others like the written word, so I suggest heading to the dollar store and bringing along your own cards to submit your comments for favourable service.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

QE2 also did "employee of the month" awards for various departments and pictures would be posted somewhere. I don't know if Cunard still does that. One time, they had a little reception and invited the Diamond world club members to the reception to see crew members recognized for their good works. The captain said we were invited because "you're family, too."

HAL does an employee of the month award.  Our waiter at the Sea View Bar was dressed very formally and of course, we asked why.  The Sea View Bar team all chimed in together  - employee of the month.  And boy, did he deserve it.  A fantastic waiter.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

We learned very quickly that the Feedback through the Navigator apps works very well!  We submitted 3 unrelated comments, requests and feedback in the app and got nearly immediate response to all 3.  These were not staff compliments, but I do know that they are being read real-time at least on the Nieuw Statendam.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1