When does HAL send upgrade offers

skidroe

3 hours ago, FreesiaE said:

Can those who booked via TA call this number or is it just for those who booked with HAL directly?

I always use a TA but usually handle my own upsells.  I am a pretty forward negotiator and I would not want her involved in my daring. 

• Like 1

On 6/6/2023 at 2:31 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

Did the offer come directly to you or did it route through the TA?

The upgrade offer came from HAL to the TA and the TA forwarded the email to us.  

50 minutes ago, TGCRUISEO said:

What is a good price?  I just got a 7 day Oosterdam upsell to a Neptune from a VA. For $649 per person?  What is the typical price you see?

I can't answer directly. I think this depends on how long your trip is. 7 day? 21 day?

Let's just say it's a 7 day trip. If you look at the amenity differences, are the upgrades worth about $90pp per day ($180 per day for the both of you) to upgrade? When I bid for upgrades I break it down by day to get a better idea.  Hope that helps.

59 minutes ago, TGCRUISEO said:

What is a good price?  I just got a 7 day Oosterdam upsell to a Neptune from a VA. For $649 per person?  What is the typical price you see?

We had a Neptune for our Alaska trip and it greatly enhanced our cruise.

2 hours ago, TGCRUISEO said:

Depends on the itinerary, how long till sailing, and the price you initially purchased the category room type for.  Upsells for European/Med itineraries have always been higher than Alaska or the Caribbean, in my experience. Depending on the initial purchase price, $649 is about average and will probably sell out really quickly.  I do like the NS amenities and rooms on the Vista class.

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TGCRUISEO said:

Price varies by how full the ship is as well as the length of the cruise.  My approach is to research the price of the old and new categories, and then multiply the difference by 1/3rd.  Thats what I feel is a reasonable deal.

On 6/8/2023 at 11:40 AM, Mary229 said:

I always use a TA but usually handle my own upsells.  I am a pretty forward negotiator and I would not want her involved in my daring. 

In my experience HAL would only deal with the TA and payment had to go through them.  Has this changed? 

Edited by bennybear

20 minutes ago, bennybear said:

In my experience HAL would only deal with the TA and payment had to go through them.  Has this changed? 

I don’t know.  I have been handling most of my upsells for the past year or so. 

Cabin changes, re-pricing, payments...details of those type have to go through TA if there's one on the booking.

Excursions, dining, add-ons... can be done w/o TA.

When you call in to HAL, usually the 2nd thing you hear (with the first being "I see you're a xx* Mariner, thanks for your loyalty") after giving them the booking number is "you'll have to contact your agent, we can't talk to you."

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Cabin changes, re-pricing, payments...details of those type have to go through TA if there's one on the booking.

Excursions, dining, add-ons... can be done w/o TA.

When you call in to HAL, usually the 2nd thing you hear (with the first being "I see you're a xx* Mariner, thanks for your loyalty") after giving them the booking number is "you'll have to contact your agent, we can't talk to you."

That’s my experience also

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Interesting,  how did you arrange payment?  

For the upsell, they take immediate payment for the difference over the phone.  These are after final payment upsells 

Edited by Mary229

3 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

For the upsell, they take immediate payment for the difference over the phone.  These are after final payment upsells 

That must be new,  if I have booked directly  with HAL that has been the case, but if I’ve booked through a TA they’ve always made me go though them.  Wondering if it makes a difference on who your TA is?  

7 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I think this is why the difference - after final payment upsells

1 minute ago, bennybear said:

Mine were always after final payment as well.   I am truly curious if there’s been a change in policy.

Are you calling the upsell department directly?   When you call there is a recording saying be ready with your credit card.  I haven’t done it in a while  but did so last summer.  

5 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Are you calling the upsell department directly?   When you call there is a recording saying be ready with your credit card.  I haven’t done it in a while  but did so last summer.  

Yup, but this was awhile ago,  they would barely talk to me and told me my agent had to call.  They were the only ones who could make changes on the bookings and all the payments had to go through them.  

• Like 1

So here’s a hypothetical question: If you book a lower category stateroom and add on Club Orange, and then later accept an upsell to a category that includes Club Orange benefits, do they credit you for the CO add-on that you’ve presumably already paid for? Or do you just have to suck it up and eat that cost?