Add boarding pass to Apple Wallet

quack2

2 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Easier to save it as pdf document into your Files so you can easily access it without internet/WiFi. 

This is what I do.  I'm on Android, I save all my confirmations to Google Drive in a folder, then set that folder to be available offline and (because I can since I'm on Android) I pin that folder to my homescreen for quick access.

As others have stated save the eDocs as a PDF.  You can then import it into Apple Wallet or just save it to a documents folder on your iPhone that you can then open up on demand.

Tip: download & install the NCL app on your iPhone or iPad BEFORE you board using your home WiFi!!!  I had it installed on DW's & my iPhones but forgot to put it on my iPad!  Tried installing it aboard en route but didn't feel like wasting my WiFi package minutes after I saw how long it was taking.  Ditto if you need any other specific apps like airline or hotel-specific ones. 

17 minutes ago, hallux said:

This is what I do.  I'm on Android, I save all my confirmations to Google Drive in a folder, then set that folder to be available offline and (because I can since I'm on Android) I pin that folder to my homescreen for quick access.

Ditto, and I’m on iPhone. When on ship I save the dailies to the Files folder each day 😊

6 hours ago, tomk3212 said:

Tip: download & install the NCL app on your iPhone or iPad BEFORE you board using your home WiFi!!!  I had it installed on DW's & my iPhones but forgot to put it on my iPad!  Tried installing it aboard en route but didn't feel like wasting my WiFi package minutes after I saw how long it was taking.  Ditto if you need any other specific apps like airline or hotel-specific ones. 

I'm able to get good cellular in many ports.  Could you have set your iPhone as a hotspot and downloaded the app to your iPad via that route?

18 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Or you can print 1 page on paper and not worry about having a phone service in a big metal terminal. 

True but when added to Home Screen you don’t need phone service. 

Slightly off-topic, tips & tricks - 

There is an "undocumented" option to download the "Norwegian" App (iOS and Android) onboard NCL ships, as long as you are connected properly to its WiFi inTRAnet (not using airtime minutes) - once you get to the "Sign On" screen - look closely & you should a small icon/link at the bottom of that webpage, it is free for "you" the user to download & install the NCL App on the spot (if you forgotten to do that before embarkation).  The app is, apparently, stored onboard ship's cached server and will install - an airtime allowance of 10 minutes associated with that session is given, free, at no extra charge whatsoever as the "connection" is typically sluggish & slow at best.  

P.S.  Once done & installed, with a bit of luck, you might still have 3 to 5 minutes of "free" access to browse the inTERnet as long as you do not log out & disconnect.  This will only work one-time on a given cruise, for devices that hasn't been registered and/or added to the whitelist under your account (as in "Remember the device" option, enabled)  Have fun & do tell & share if this "trick" works - that you read it here first on CC and past it along.    

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I'm able to get good cellular in many ports.  Could you have set your iPhone as a hotspot and downloaded the app to your iPad via that route?

Yes, absolutely!  The problem with that, though, is you're also competing for BW with your 3000-4000 'new best friends' off YOUR ship plus whatever other ships are in port if you're using a hotspot near the cruise ship terminal.  If you can find a quiet spot somewhere in the town itself you're probably GTG with that solution...

9 hours ago, cabincop said:

True but when added to Home Screen you don’t need phone service. 

All you need is to take a screen capture. It is only looked at twice, at most. Once, maybe, to enter the terminal and once to look up your reservation at check in. It is not like an airline pass where it is actually “used”. 

At check in, you are given your room key which is your “real” boarding pass. 

If you never complete online check in, you can still enter the terminal and check in without a “boarding pass”. 

During the pandemic, the stupidest people were “techie dad” trying to pull up boarding passes, vaccine cards, test results on their phone while the rest of us flashed good ole paper and walked on by. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

Ditto, and I’m on iPhone. When on ship I save the dailies to the Files folder each day 😊

I used to save the PDFs but on my last cruise, a few weeks ago, they appeared to have changed the app. In the past when I clicked the daily it would download and open a PDF I could then save, now the daily opens in the app with no PDF download taking place. I could find no way the save a PDF any longer.

I'm curious - on two cruises we did not show any paperwork whatsoever. We went through security, went to check-in and told them our names, showed our passports, and were done. Is this because we were in the Haven? It doesn't seem that you must have paperwork/PDF/whatever in order to enter the terminal. 

6 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

I'm curious - on two cruises we did not show any paperwork whatsoever. We went through security, went to check-in and told them our names, showed our passports, and were done. Is this because we were in the Haven? It doesn't seem that you must have paperwork/PDF/whatever in order to enter the terminal. 

I've only encountered one instance.  I was cruising out of FLL several years ago and the gate guard at the entrance to the terminal area wanted to see boarding passes.  Had a real issue since the passes were in the luggage and were not accessabile.  The guard insisted that I couldn't exit the car but that I had to show the passes to proceed.  Finally, I just ignored the guard, exited the car, opened the trunk, and removed the passes from the luggage.  

On 6/7/2023 at 12:19 PM, RocketMan275 said:

I've only encountered one instance.  I was cruising out of FLL several years ago and the gate guard at the entrance to the terminal area wanted to see boarding passes.  Had a real issue since the passes were in the luggage and were not accessabile.  The guard insisted that I couldn't exit the car but that I had to show the passes to proceed.  Finally, I just ignored the guard, exited the car, opened the trunk, and removed the passes from the luggage.  

🤣I'm sure that in your years in the defense industry, you learned all about the differences between "real" cops and rent-a-cops.  (hint for others: the "real" cops are the ones who carry guns)

On 6/7/2023 at 11:57 AM, tomk3212 said:

Yes, absolutely!  The problem with that, though, is you're also competing for BW with your 3000-4000 'new best friends' off YOUR ship plus whatever other ships are in port if you're using a hotspot near the cruise ship terminal.  If you can find a quiet spot somewhere in the town itself you're probably GTG with that solution...

You create your own hot spot on your phone using your mobile data for the internet connection. 

The only people using the hotspot will be you,

On 6/6/2023 at 9:50 PM, BirdTravels said:

Or you can print 1 page on paper and not worry about having a phone service in a big metal terminal. 

I agree totally.  IMO, it is much easier and most times faster for me to pull out that one sheet of paper and not have to mess with my phone.  I fold it up and keep it with my passport as I'll need both when I arrive at the port....but again, that's just my preference.

6 hours ago, insidecabin said:

You create your own hot spot on your phone using your mobile data for the internet connection. 

You’re still sharing the “pipe” to the outside world with the aforementioned people. Unless you have your own private satellite in MEO for internet access. 

6 hours ago, insidecabin said:

Hah?  You are paying for roaming data AND that roaming data is still using the satellite link along with Wi-Fi and Shi’a operations. 

48 minutes ago, tomk3212 said:

You’re still sharing the “pipe” to the outside world with the aforementioned people. Unless you have your own private satellite in MEO for internet access. 

This is embarkation day.

It's the land roaming partner cell you connect too.

Plenty of dirt cheap roaming options.

36 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Hah?  You are paying for roaming data AND that roaming data is still using the satellite link along with Wi-Fi and Shi’a operations. 

Not on embarkation day it's the land cell partner  you connect too. Nothing to do with the ship.

Roaming data is cheap.

On 6/6/2023 at 6:50 PM, BirdTravels said:

Thanks for this tip.  I’ll just print it and put it in the RFID folder with my passport.  It will be easy enough to show both at the same time then 🙂