Further Cheapening of the Brand as Half and Half Disappears from Cruises

I know they have 1/2n1/2 on the ship because they use it too much, along with cream to prepare the dishes in the galley.  I will ask for some nicely.  They've never failed to bring me what I request yet.

When they stopped using shaved parm in the Caesar salad, we asked for it and it was delivered, when they went with some kind of fake butter, again, they brought us the real thing. We ask for our sour dough rolls to be heated and our waiter has done it every cruise in fact, they are usually waiting for us on our table after the first night.   And I even ask for powdered sugar for my french toast and I get that on every cruise.  I'm betting I can get it...but I'll let you know. Still planning on Starbucks though just for convenience.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, footzz said:

Been a while since I've touched base on this board and it sure looks like RCL's trajectory of higher prices and diminishing amenities is still in full swing. At this rate, it probably won't be too long before they start matching status with Carnival.

This is exactly what we are seeing.  Cruise after cruise, we are paying much more and getting much less.  Pretty much at the point now where we no longer see value in the brand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/7/2023 at 9:49 AM, alistairg said:

Single cream is what we would pour over our Black Forest gateau in the UK! Makes a piece of chocolate cake lovely and moist. My American wife is horrified by me wanting to pour cream over chocolate cake. As an American who has lived in the UK for the last 30 years (and I'm sure you've had this conversation with your wife) British cake is dry. My expat friends and I refer to it as "dry and crappy". American cakes don't need cream because they're super moist in comparison to British cakes. Sorry, but it's true.

For some reason cream is very country specific. When my wife makes whipped cream she adds sugar and a little vanilla to it, making it very sweet. To my thinking cream should be plain and less sweet than he dessert you put it on. Americans have a real sweet tooth. 

The other similar item that we have here, but you hardly ever see in the US is custard. Americans have vanilla ice cream with hot desserts, we have custard. I have been gradually converting my in-laws to this. They had copious amounts of sticky toffee pudding and custard on their last visit with us. The combination of hot and cold (hot apple pie with a scoop of ice cream) is divine. I do enjoy a sticky toffee pudding with custard though.

23 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

I know they have 1/2n1/2 on the ship because they use it too much, along with cream to prepare the dishes in the galley.  I will ask for some nicely.  They've never failed to bring me what I request yet.

When they stopped using shaved parm in the Caesar salad, we asked for it and it was delivered, when they went with some kind of fake butter, again, they brought us the real thing. We ask for our sour dough rolls to be heated and our waiter has done it every cruise in fact, they are usually waiting for us on our table after the first night.   And I even ask for powdered sugar for my french toast and I get that on every cruise.  I'm betting I can get it...but I'll let you know. Still planning on Starbucks though just for convenience.

I would agree that the staff tends to be accommodating.  However, Half and Half just might not be accessible to the dining room staff.  I've been on at least a dozen cruises over the past 10 months, sailing on 7 different ships.  The dining room standard has been to serve milk for use in coffee.  In November, when someone I was with only uses half & half, it took awhile and they eventually brought some.  

As others have noted, and I have seen first hand, every cruise seems to bring a new change that decreases service or diminishes quality.  And it's all with the aim of increasing profitability.  

To that end, they just aren't provisioning half & half, or certainly not as much.  (Most likely it's not used for cooking or baking where heavy cream is used instead.  Its limited use would be specialty coffee and certain bar drinks.  But reports are they're using milk for the bar drinks as well.)

Related to this, even though the new MDR menus specifically mentions "whipped cream" for some desserts, I've noticed they're using non-dairy whipped topping, as a cost savings measure.

Royal's ONLY focus seems to be on increasing profitability --mainly I believe-- because they aren't turning a sufficient operating profit to service their debt.  Add to this--according to what I've read in their most recently published quarterly financials-- they have NOT secured 100% of the funded needed to take delivery of Icon of the Seas.   

• Like 2

On 6/11/2023 at 4:30 PM, BecciBoo said:

I know they have 1/2n1/2 on the ship because they use it too much, along with cream to prepare the dishes in the galley.  I will ask for some nicely. 

1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

What I'm saying is, don't really care.  Milk is fine with me.  I do know that they aim to please.

At first you were saying that you would ask for Half & Half.

It occurs to me that with all the new staff since the restart, they may not know where to find half-and-half or other requested items or even know what they are, or if they are allowed to provide them. 

I have worked in a lot of restaurants, lots of staff from different cultures/countries, new to their jobs.  Guest asked one of the assistants for Bailey's. He went looking for bay leaves.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, PWP-001 said:

Royal's ONLY focus seems to be on increasing profitability --mainly I believe-- because they aren't turning a sufficient operating profit to service their debt.  Add to this--according to what I've read in their most recently published quarterly financials-- they have NOT secured 100% of the funded needed to take delivery of Icon of the Seas.   

This is false.  According to the press release with the first quarter earnings  -

Capital Expenditures and Capacity Guidance

Capital expenditures for full year 2023 are expected to be $4.2 billion. The company expects to take delivery of three new ships in 2023 including Icon of the Seas, Celebrity Ascent and Silver Nova. All ship orders have committed financing in place.

On 6/6/2023 at 2:14 PM, SailorMarg said:

I am doing exactly that for the President’s cruise, bringing my own.  Just in case it is a repeat of our May 15 cruise where it was simply unavailable anywhere other than with purchased coffee at Cafe Promenade.

I challenge you to screenshot this post, and then show it to the Prez while offering him a pack or two.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rockmom said:

You should ask it over in the NCL forum, someone there might have the answer.  

Seems to be quite a lot of specialization around here, apparently I need to spend more time hanging out in the "NCL cream" thread,  not the "RCI cream" thread.  I just like to be where there is cream.

• Haha 2

Just now, MacGuffin3 said:

Seems to be quite a lot of specialization around here, apparently I need to spend more time hanging out in the "NCL cream" thread,  not the "RCI cream" thread.  I just like to be where there is cream.

haha!  Well, the overall site is divided into separate forums for each cruise line.  

7 hours ago, drjohn4 said:

This is false.  According to the press release with the first quarter earnings  -

Capital Expenditures and Capacity Guidance

Capital expenditures for full year 2023 are expected to be $4.2 billion. The company expects to take delivery of three new ships in 2023 including Icon of the Seas, Celebrity Ascent and Silver Nova. All ship orders have committed financing in place.

Here's why there's no more Half & Half for your coffee!

From the Financials, Form 10-Q released 05/04/23 presenting quarterly results through 03/31/23.

Quote #1-Page 30 

Our future capital commitments consist primarily of new ship orders. As of March 31, 2023, the aggregate expected cost of our ships on order presented in the table above, excluding any ships on order by our Partner Brands, was $10.2 billion, of which we had deposited $0.9 billion.

Quote #2-Page 32

As of March 31, 2023, we had $7.8 billion of committed financing for our ships on order.

Quote #3-Page 30

As of March 31, 2023, we anticipate overall full year capital expenditures, based on our existing ships on order, will be approximately $4.2 billion for 2023.

Quote #4-Page 32

As of March 31, 2023, our obligations due through March 31, 2024 primarily consisted of $2.1 billion related to debt maturities, $1.3 billion related to interest on debt and $2.7 billion related to progress payments on our ship orders and, based on the expected delivery date, the final installment payable due upon the delivery of Silver Nova, Icon of the Seas, and Celebrity Ascent.

Quote #5-Page 32

As of March 31, 2023, we had liquidity of $3.9 billion, including cash and cash equivalents of $1.2 billion, and $2.6 billion of undrawn revolving credit facility capacity.

-New ship orders represent a capital commitment of $10.2 billion (Quote#1) while secured financing is $7.8 billion (Quote #2).

-As of 3/31/23 obligations (bills to pay, if you will) over the next 12 months are expected to be $6.1 billion (Quote#4) while there's only $1.2 billion in cash (or like-cash) with another $2.6 billion available through borrowing, leaving a difference of $2.2 billion to be presumably acquired through operating income.  (In simple terms that's what's left over from what passengers spend after paying all the bills associated with getting those passengers to spend their money.)  

I probably shouldn't have singled out Icon, but not that the financials indicate that they do not have financing in place for all of their ship orders.  

Keeping this on topic, the financials point to an ongoing need to increase operating income.  With first quarter ship occupancy listed at 102.1% (triple/quad occ. in a cabin helps raise it above 100%) cutting costs and services to reduce expenses seems to be the route they are taking to drive higher operating income.  

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, goldfish65 said:

It occurs to me that with all the new staff since the restart, they may not know where to find half-and-half or other requested items or even know what they are, or if they are allowed to provide them. 

I have worked in a lot of restaurants, lots of staff from different cultures/countries, new to their jobs.  Guest asked one of the assistants for Bailey's. He went looking for bay leaves.

After the first day, a new server has served hundreds of passengers and I suspect at least one asked for creamer or half and half.  It is not an unusual request or one that should need additional training when a customer orders a cup of coffee. 

M

• Like 2

On 6/6/2023 at 11:54 PM, shipgeeks said:

I've seen people - including guests of genuine Diamonds - maltreat the coffee machine quite harshly if they think it isn't brewing quickly enough.  Please, people, follow instructions and be gentle.  Some of us cherish our DL coffee.

Hello,

One of the instructions rarely followed by Royal is only to use semi skimmed milk in the coffee machine. Anything with more fat will clog its arteries and result in downtime.

Regards,

Cublet

13 hours ago, PWP-001 said:

Here's why there's no more Half & Half for your coffee!

From the Financials, Form 10-Q released 05/04/23 presenting quarterly results through 03/31/23.

Quote #1-Page 30 

Our future capital commitments consist primarily of new ship orders. As of March 31, 2023, the aggregate expected cost of our ships on order presented in the table above, excluding any ships on order by our Partner Brands, was $10.2 billion, of which we had deposited $0.9 billion.

Quote #2-Page 32

As of March 31, 2023, we had $7.8 billion of committed financing for our ships on order.

Quote #3-Page 30

As of March 31, 2023, we anticipate overall full year capital expenditures, based on our existing ships on order, will be approximately $4.2 billion for 2023.

Quote #4-Page 32

As of March 31, 2023, our obligations due through March 31, 2024 primarily consisted of $2.1 billion related to debt maturities, $1.3 billion related to interest on debt and $2.7 billion related to progress payments on our ship orders and, based on the expected delivery date, the final installment payable due upon the delivery of Silver Nova, Icon of the Seas, and Celebrity Ascent.

Quote #5-Page 32

As of March 31, 2023, we had liquidity of $3.9 billion, including cash and cash equivalents of $1.2 billion, and $2.6 billion of undrawn revolving credit facility capacity.

-New ship orders represent a capital commitment of $10.2 billion (Quote#1) while secured financing is $7.8 billion (Quote #2).

-As of 3/31/23 obligations (bills to pay, if you will) over the next 12 months are expected to be $6.1 billion (Quote#4) while there's only $1.2 billion in cash (or like-cash) with another $2.6 billion available through borrowing, leaving a difference of $2.2 billion to be presumably acquired through operating income.  (In simple terms that's what's left over from what passengers spend after paying all the bills associated with getting those passengers to spend their money.)  

I probably shouldn't have singled out Icon, but not that the financials indicate that they do not have financing in place for all of their ship orders.  

Keeping this on topic, the financials point to an ongoing need to increase operating income.  With first quarter ship occupancy listed at 102.1% (triple/quad occ. in a cabin helps raise it above 100%) cutting costs and services to reduce expenses seems to be the route they are taking to drive higher operating income.  

Thanks for the breakdown.  Sure makes it easy to see why Royal continues to go cheaper and cheaper with what they are providing their passengers.  I wonder when they will run out of new cruisers who don’t know any better and are currently responsible for well over half of the passenger counts filling the ships.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2023 at 4:07 PM, little britain said:

And 1/2 wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole….!

Hello,

And I would be in that half.

It brings back memories before we became 'ground down' by tattooed barristas in hyped coffee shops, and a 'treat' was having individual coffee filters (a piece of plastic to sit on a branded cup with a section in the base containing ground coffee) and on the side a jigger pot containing half cream for coffee.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Regards,

Cublet

18 minutes ago, cublet said:

Hello,

And I would be in that half.

It brings back memories before we became 'ground down' by tattooed barristas in hyped coffee shops, and a 'treat' was having individual coffee filters (a piece of plastic to sit on a branded cup with a section in the base containing ground coffee) and on the side a jigger pot containing half cream for coffee.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Regards,

Cublet

When this was classy and very grown up! And I had no idea you could still get them!

IMG_1038.png

Edited by little britain
  • Thanks 1

On 6/12/2023 at 4:40 PM, MacGuffin3 said:

Can you get full/whipping cream for your coffee on the NCL encore anywhere?

I asked for it at the coffee cafe on rcl and got whipped creme. 

Why are you asking about ncl here? Rcl has it. 

• Like 1

On 6/7/2023 at 1:30 AM, little britain said:

I always thought “half and half” was half milk/half skimmed milk… until I tried it.🤢

Perhaps with more and more international guests they have found there is little requirement for this.  No other nation puts cream in coffee ...  Think of all those unnecessary additional calories. 🤷‍♀️

Two tablespoons of half & half in a cup of coffee is 35 calories. It is milk & cream. I drink two cups a day and eat 1200-1500 calories a day. Now, heavily processed flavored coffee creamers are a whole other story. They are not the same. 

• Like 1