Booking while on board Worth It?

sherbear850

If you aren’t flexible and really want a specific cruise or a type of cabin, you’re stuck paying inflated prices.  As a former teacher , I used to vacation during summer or school recesses.  The prices were high.  It’s supply and demand.  If you can are flexible, you can save $.  I am retired.  I am very flexible. I have jumped on deals last minute that are very cheap. 
You mentioned inside cabins.  Be smart. Don’t just look at one category. Often when a certain category isn’t selling well, cruise lines will drop price on a specific category.  We just booked an Oceania cruise that dropped veranda cabins.  The price for Oceanview and inside are higher than verandas.  Cruises book from both ends.  The first cabins booked are insides and the best suites.  The verandas are often the last to be booked.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cruisinsusin said:

There is still a bottle of wine for booking on board on day 1

They should give it for the entire length of cruise. A few years ago a man at my table booked a cruise onboard and the next night he passed by and they were giving out the wine. When he asked was told the promo on just for that day but he got the wine anyway.  Silly rules. 

41 minutes ago, cruisinsusin said:

There is still a bottle of wine for booking on board on day 1

There is and I didn’t know that when I booked a future cruise when we were on the Solstice in May. Nice bonus because we didn’t have AI. The advantages for us is the $200 deposit for the two of us and the fact that we can book a non refundable deposit price which is not a big gamble. Also as has been mentioned the additional OBC is a plus. 

Edited by lienf

27 minutes ago, lienf said:

There is and I didn’t know that when I booked a future cruise when we were on the Solstice in May. Nice bonus because we didn’t have AI. The advantages for us is the $200 deposit for the two of us and the fact that we can book a non refundable deposit price which is not a big gamble. Also as has been mentioned the additional OBC is a plus. 

Well then maybe I will book another future cruise in November when on Silhouette. I can go through 3 bottles of wine in 10 days. Is it decent wine or their $2 offering? 😆 

16 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

Well then maybe I will book another future cruise in November when on Silhouette. I can go through 3 bottles of wine in 10 days. Is it decent wine or their $2 offering? 😆 

It’s been a different option each time, choice of red or white, some better than others

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Lastdance said:

Just remember that suites do not count, as of June 1, 2023.  

We have also been told by the representative while booking that if the $200(two people)is not used, that it will be refunded back to our card if we call Celebrity, after the six months, or whatever expires.  I have never had that happen because I book a cruise with it.  Can anyone on here verify that you received the money back?

Last year I got 3 certificates. I was told they are good for 1 year now. 

I booked my upcoming cruise 10 Months out. 7 Months out I found a better rate and saved around $600.00.  Would there be any issues getting Celebrity to match a lower future rate if you book a future cruise while onboard? 

Edited by TwoBeAtSea

1 minute ago, TwoBeAtSea said:

I booked my upcoming cruise 10 Months out. 7 Months out I found a better rate and saved around $600.00.  Would there be any issues getting Celebrity to match a lower future rate if you book a future cruise while onboard? 

No issue as long as it is before final payment— we have done that on several cruises. I watch prices from booking until final payment ( but stop watching after that😏)

41 minutes ago, cruisinsusin said:

No issue as long as it is before final payment— we have done that on several cruises. I watch prices from booking until final payment ( but stop watching after that😏)

I just did that this morning from a cruise I transferred that had a certificate.  Actually, I was really surprised to see that drop, as my cruise is 11 months away.  Just a nice surprise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigbenboys said:

Last year I got 3 certificates. I was told they are good for 1 year now. 

I also purchased one of those last fall on a TA; I booked a cruise quickly, so on my recent TA, I picked up another, but the longevity was only six months.  Right now, I do not have a cruise I am anxious to book, but I do have four forthcoming; one is a TA in 2025 on Oceania…great suite price on a new ship, so I took the plunge on a PH1.

1 hour ago, cruisinsusin said:

I watch prices from booking until final payment ( but stop watching after that😏)

I still watch after final payment as can always move up if prices drop. Sometimes they don't but doesn't hurt to look.

1 hour ago, drakes2 said:

I still watch after final payment as can always move up if prices drop. Sometimes they don't but doesn't hurt to look.

True but its a bummer when it drops and you can’t do anything 😒-loved it when you could get an OBC for the difference.

On 6/8/2023 at 6:15 AM, sherbear850 said:

We are looking at Celebrity Edge from Vancouver Sept 2024. What appealed to us with this cruise is the 2 days in every port.

If prices are rising that fast maybe we should quit messing around and make a decision and live with it.

Thanks for everyones help.

I have Edge next May from Honolulu to Vancouver; just had a $450 drop in price.  I check prices every day, or at least try to do that.  Sometimes you do just have to make that reservation and move forward. 

Edited by Lastdance

21 hours ago, TwoBeAtSea said:

Not a problem as long as you request a price match prior to final payment date.    I do it all the time.    I just call my agent and he has the new rate applied.   Be cautious that perks are the same or you could loose something with a better price.

20 hours ago, drakes2 said:

I do the same and have found some paid upgrades that were a good deal as long as they were $1 more than your existing reservation.

31 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I do the same and have found some paid upgrades that were a good deal as long as they were $1 more than your existing reservation.

That's how I got that beautiful Concierge SV on the Equinox last year. My CVP said someone must have upgraded and they didn't change the price which I don't really understand.  It seemed very cheap for that category. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/7/2023 at 3:30 PM, Ken the cruiser said:

OTOH you can just book a "place holder" cruise onboard as far out as possible (e.g., a cruise on the Beyond in April 2025 like we did) with a $100 per person refundable deposit, get the applicable OBC referenced in post #8 applied to that booking, and be done with it.

Then when you find a more suitable itinerary you like better and it's before the final payment date of that "place holder" booking, you can have your TA/CVP make the change. However, if for some reason you cannot find a better itinerary by the final payment date, just change the booking to another itinerary far down the road, possibly in 2027. As long as you keep that same booking number you got when you booked it onboard, you will not lose the OBC.

With the "place holder" approach you do not lose the OBC booking perk after 6 months if you don't find a suitable itinerary like you would if you purchased it through their "Book Later" program.

Future Cruise Vacations (celebritycruises.com)

Thanks for the helpful suggestion.

Sorry but I am new to cruising... So just to clarify, are you saying that, while on board, you use the "Book Now Program" featured in the webpage you shared? As opposed to the "Book Later Program"? 

Thx,

Craig 

8 minutes ago, SeaNutria said:

Thanks for the helpful suggestion.

Sorry but I am new to cruising... So just to clarify, are you saying that, while on board, you use the "Book Now Program" featured in the webpage you shared? As opposed to the "Book Later Program"? 

Thx,

Craig 

No form required. You can simply just book a cruise onboard as far out as possible (e.g., a cruise on the Beyond in April 2025 like we did) with a $100 per person refundable deposit, get the applicable OBC referenced in post #8 applied to that booking, and be done with it.

Then when you find a more suitable itinerary you like better and it's before the final payment date of that "place holder" booking, you can have your TA/CVP make the change. However, if for some reason you cannot find a better itinerary by the final payment date, just change the booking to another itinerary far down the road, possibly in 2027. As long as you keep that same booking number you got when you booked it onboard, you will not lose the OBC.

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Thanks 1

I agree completely with @Ken the cruiser.    Remember that even though your placeholder sailing is booked with a refundable deposit when you select a sailing to move it to you can select any rate you want.  NRD, AI, Cruise Only.    The key is to book a refundable deposit if you are going to move it in the future.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
On 6/6/2023 at 2:43 PM, sherbear850 said:

Has anyone booked a future cruise while on board? We are going to be on summit this October and are thinking of doing Hawaii on Edge next September and wondered if there is any advantage to wait to book then?

Another consideration on this topic is the pre-existing waiver on travel insurance. We paid the $200 for Future Cruise benefit and received a confirmation number at that time. It never occurred to us that the date we paid this became the booking date even though we had no cruise itinerary, nor dates defined. Now that we turned the booking into a real itinerary, the insurance company won't allow the waiver since the policy wasn't purchased within 14 days of the "initial" payment. At this stage we wish we had never signed up for this and we never will again!