Disembarking on first day of an overnight

Gary72

Just curious if anyone has experience disembarking on the first of a 2 day stay at the end of a cruise. We are on an Infinity cruise that ends with 2 days, 1 night in Athens.  Due to flight plans, we would prefer to get off the day before the official disembarkation. 

Called Celebrity  and was told nothing could be arranged until beginning the cruise.

5 hours ago, Gary72 said:

Just curious if anyone has experience disembarking on the first of a 2 day stay at the end of a cruise. We are on an Infinity cruise that ends with 2 days, 1 night in Athens.  Due to flight plans, we would prefer to get off the day before the official disembarkation. 

Called Celebrity  and was told nothing could be arranged until beginning the cruise.

We looked into this for a cruise finishing in Singapore. I seem to remember having to submit a form and being told there was a time window to disembark (10 - 11am) if I remember correctly. I would think the ease of doing this could be port specific. I seem to remember a small fee to $20. This was all some time ago so I hope someone with more recent experience responds.

I strongly recommend you clear this with Celebrity before booking flights etc. I certainly wouldn’t wait until onboard. I suggest you phone back and speak to another agent. Whatever they say I would ask for an email to confirm so when on board you have evidence…

• Like 1

I too have done this - Hong Kong was the port. However is was several years ago in pre-Covid times.

My TA cleared it with Celebrity before I booked flights.

Edited by anniegb

17 minutes ago, emmas gran said:

I recall Jim_Iain talking about this they call it a cruise deviation and I believe he mentioned a $65 fee fairly recently

Nickle and Diming again ?? I never paid any cruiseline a fee for disembarking early at end of a cruise.

I have done this a couple times on Celebrity. Once in Hong Kong and once in Singapore.

The ship will be cleared by the local authorities asap once it arrives in port.

we went to guest relations a few days prior to disembark and filled out a form that basically said we were not due any refund for leaving early. There were no additional charges.

it was easy to get a taxi when we got off. 

the process should be the same in Athens 

Edited by Nachosdelux

2 hours ago, emmas gran said:

I recall Jim_Iain talking about this they call it a cruise deviation and I believe he mentioned a $65 fee fairly recently

It is a downline debarkation.  We have done it to leave the ship for a side trip and return at a different port ( pre shut down).  The request was handled by the emergency services department and there was a $65 fee.  
I wouldn’t count on a phone rep to know the in’s and out’s of debarking early in various ports. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Gary72 said:

Hi

Just asking did you book direct or use a TA??

If the latter, I would ask your TA to field the question with Celebrity. If the former, I would submit the question in writing to Celebrity.

I also recall when my cruise ended in Hong Kong, once the ship was cleared, there were at least 100 pax lined up with their luggage boarding taxis.

Good Luck

1 minute ago, anniegb said:

Hi

Just asking did you book direct or use a TA??

If the latter, I would ask your TA to field the question with Celebrity. If the former, I would submit the question in writing to Celebrity.

I also recall when my cruise ended in Hong Kong, once the ship was cleared, there were at least 100 pax lined up with their luggage boarding taxis.

Good Luck

Thanks...I booked through United Cruises and will contact them.

3 hours ago, emmas gran said:

Thanks for bringing that up but the per-authorization and fee were for a download disembarkation and embarkation.

We were taking a side trip from Goa to Taj Majal and rejoining the ship 3 days later. 

We have however departed on the first day of a overnight at the last port in Singapore, Buenos Aires and Yokohama.    On those occasions I got confirmation in advance but had to make arrangements while on the ship.   They just had to make arrangements that customs would be on duty at the time we were to leave the ship.    It was really easy and like when you disembark they have to swipe you off the ship and after that you are unable to just leave the ship and walk past Customs and Immagration.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

We'll be on Infinity, which arrives in Athens April 25. The ship overnights there and the cruise officially ends April 26. We'd like to get on a ferry leaving for another island around 9 a.m. on the 26th. We can carry our own luggage. Any chance we can disembark early make the ferry, which leaves from the Athens port? 

The fee charged certainly looks like nickel and diming - you are leaving the ship 24 hours or so early during which time you will no longer be wining & dining or sleeping on board, all of which you have paid for AND you are charged a fee for forgoing all that food & drink, as well as the use of the cabin!

2 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

The fee charged certainly looks like nickel and diming - you are leaving the ship 24 hours or so early during which time you will no longer be wining & dining or sleeping on board, all of which you have paid for AND you are charged a fee for forgoing all that food & drink, as well as the use of the cabin!

In my experience there is no fee to leave the first night of an overnight at the end of the cruise.  

I've only been charged when I left in the middle of a cruise and then rejoined after 3 days.   I did this in India to take a side trip to the Taj on our own at about 1/4 of the cost of what Celebrity charged for the same tour.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, indy406 said:

We'll be on Infinity, which arrives in Athens April 25. The ship overnights there and the cruise officially ends April 26. We'd like to get on a ferry leaving for another island around 9 a.m. on the 26th. We can carry our own luggage. Any chance we can disembark early make the ferry, which leaves from the Athens port? 

Since that is the regularly scheduled disembarkation day, you should have no trouble getting off the ship early enough to make the ferry

We wanted to do this in Mumbai next February.  Celebrity denied the request to do this.  As we are using miles for our airfare we are staying for the extra day in Mumbai.  Flights from Mumbai to Florida leave between midnight and 4am so we have to stay in a hotel the extra day.

From their email

We understand you wish to disembark early that the scheduled time. We will no longer allow cruise passengers to pre-plan early debark or late embarkation for any of our ships.

Many countries continue to implement travel restrictions like denying non-citizens from entry, closing their borders and requiring mandatory quarantines with little or no advance notice. In an abundance of caution for the safety and security of our guests, all requests for modified guest movement will be denied.

We appreciate your understanding and patience.

23 hours ago, Knitwit555 said:

We just booked this cruise.  I am so ready to see Israel.  Any others looking to book a tour from a Jewish perspective?

I have a tour guide for Athens that I have used twice thru TripAdvisor.  I will contact her and set up a day tour of Athens, if there is any interest.  We can fit 12-15 in her pink bus!  

Julie

Unsure if this refers to early on disembarkation day or prior day in same port. What prevents someone from just leaving a day early and not returning?

29 minutes ago, Gary72 said:

Unsure if this refers to early on disembarkation day or prior day in same port. What prevents someone from just leaving a day early and not returning?

Leaving with your luggage will alert the crew who are checking you out at the gangway and you won’t be allowed to leave without the proper clearances.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2023 at 4:34 AM, Gary72 said:

It depends on the port/country. 

22 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

In my experience there is no fee to leave the first night of an overnight at the end of the cruise.  

I've only been charged when I left in the middle of a cruise and then rejoined after 3 days.   I did this in India to take a side trip to the Taj on our own at about 1/4 of the cost of what Celebrity charged for the same tour.  

Likewise, I have not been charged for leaving early or for staying off a ship overnight with family, hence my comment re. nickel & diming.