Outdoor Promenade Decks

horseymike

Hi everyone,

Call me a dinosaur, but one of our favorite things about cruising is walking on the outdoor promenade deck.

Would anyone who has recently cruised on a ship that has one kindly mention the name of the ship ?

Thanks

• Like 3

I absolutely love walking the ship out on deck.  It's amazingly annoying to have to detour through the interior to keep moving.   I hadn't considered this aspect of a ship before experiencing Royal Princess.  We're on NCL's Epic in October and I gather that there's little or no promenade deck at all.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, marden1970 said:

Within the last year we have been on Princess, Ruby,Crown and Emerald.  All have Promenade decks.  Check other Princess and Holland America ships.

These 3 Princess ships do have 2 flights of stair to  circle the Promenade Deck though.

I've only cruised Royal, but at least some of the Royal class ships have a Promenade Deck, at least on both sides, and some continue around the stern to the other side.  It's probably my favorite place on ships, maybe because many years ago I sailed on the Queen Elizabeth (the one built in the late 30's) and have memories of the Promenade on it.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, auntmeg said:

Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam on Holland America have full Promenade decks.

ALL HAL ships have them, although the newest class (Pinnacle class) has narrowed theirs. But you can still walk all around on the exterior.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, horseymike said:

Hi everyone,

Call me a dinosaur, but one of our favorite things about cruising is walking on the outdoor promenade deck.

Would anyone who has recently cruised on a ship that has one kindly mention the name of the ship ?

Thanks

HAL ships and Cunard’s QM2 (possibly their others) all have real, outdoor promenade decks circling the ship — most other lines seem to prefer  bars and shops to such classic ship amenities.

• Like 1

Dream class ships do Carnival; I believe Spirit class of Carnival goes 3/4 of the way around.  Crystal Serenity (when she gets moving again);  Seaside class of MSC, also Fantasia class almost all the way around.  EM

• Like 1

On 6/9/2023 at 11:44 AM, MCC retired said:

These 3 Princess ships do have 2 flights of stair to  circle the Promenade Deck though.

The 2 flights of steps are one flight up and then down at the bow of the ship.  We will be on the Caribbean Princess in 3 weeks and I know they have a Promenade Deck but IIRC it has the steps.

Sapphire Princess (I would think Diamond too since they are the same class) has a Promenade Deck but I don't remember if has steps or not.  I don't think so but am not 100% certain (we were last on it in 2019).

Coral Princess have a lovely Promenade Deck with no steps (and wonderful padded lounges - we were on it for 28 days in April).

On Princess the Royal Class ships do not have a Promenade Deck.

Edited by capriccio

On 6/11/2023 at 11:56 AM, Mum2Mercury said:

I think all ships have an outdoor promenade deck.  We enjoy them, particularly when we sail in an indoor cabin.  We find these decks a nice, quiet place to sit and relax.  They're shady and quieter than other areas of the ship.  

Celebrity’s Edge class ships do not have a promenade deck, unless you count the area where you walk behind the lifeboats.

• Thanks 1

I do enjoy a proper promenade deck!

It was one of the only things I didn't enjoy about our cruise on Oceania. On the Marina the only outdoor walking area was on the top of ship with stairs up and down at the bow and stern. Not very enjoyable in the rain or blistering heat.

On HAL ships, I love the deck 3 promenade decks (Pinnacle class ships not as much). They are continuous and sheltered and much closer to the sea. Just a wonderful place to go for a walk!

• Like 2