Ruby Princess Pier Runners in Skagway?

dobiemom

4 hours ago, ldtr said:

The ship is charged and the fine is passed on to the passenger. An even bigger impact is not being able to reboard at the next US port. Same problem in Hawaii for cruises close loopfrom US mainland

I'm not sure this is true.  Passengers and crew who miss the ship in Vancouver fly to Ketchikan and board there.  I think payment of the fine allows them to board.  The same if you miss the ship in another port.  A group was stranded at the dog camp in Juneau overnight because of fog.  They were flown to the next port.  

1 hour ago, wolfie11 said:

I'm not sure this is true.  Passengers and crew who miss the ship in Vancouver fly to Ketchikan and board there.  I think payment of the fine allows them to board.  The same if you miss the ship in another port.  A group was stranded at the dog camp in Juneau overnight because of fog.  They were flown to the next port.  

Keep in mind if the ship is returning to Vancouver they can board in the US ports because it does not violate PVSA because they would be returning to Canada, not another US port.  A bit more complex if they are on the one way Vancouver to Whittier where if they board in Ketchikan would trigger a PVSA violation.

Also the same restriction does not apply to crew totally different Visa and legal situation.  They are not bound by PVSA.

In those cases where either 1. they were on a ships excursion (Princess had a good example of that a few years ago when an excursion to Hanes could not return due to weather, had to over night in a gym and got flown to Juneau on a charter paid by the cruise line) 2. Have purchased air through the cruise line and the passengers missed the cruise due to a flight problem cruise line have absorbed the penalty and allowed boarding in Alaska and in Hawaii even though it is a PVSA violation.  I have heard of a couple other times when there has been a major airline problem such as South wests meltdown a few months ago and Princess allowed others to fly to and board in Honolulu.

In general if it is by your mistake I expect that you will at a minimum pay the fine and will probably be denied boarding until it is legal to do so.  They might let you, but I would not count on it

In cases such as excursions or flight purchased through cruise lines then their guarantee of getting you to the ship applies and they absorb the fine.

Edited by ldtr

8 hours ago, donaldsc said:

We have a friend who was always late.  The joke was that she would be late for her own funeral.  One time  she and her husband were going to take a vacation in Hawaii - we live in Vegas.  Departure time for the Vegas to LAX was say 9:00 AM.  This means that the boarding gate closed about 15 minutes before the takeoff time.  She gets to the gate before departure time but after gate closure and they would not let her get onto the plane.  They missed their connection in LAX to Hawaii.  I am surprised that her husband did not kill her but you can be sure that she never did that again.

DON

My wife feels that if the airplane's door is not closing, she is too early!   I stress if I am not there two hours early.

She was late for our wedding.  The priest started Mass without her!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 6/11/2023 at 5:06 PM, Bemidji Ty said:

This reminded me of an incident several years ago on a Princess MR cruise.  The ship had just left the pier in Puerto Vallarta when we see "that guy" (the recognizable loud drunk from the ship) yelling and waving his arms on the pier.  We all waved back at him.  Then, we saw him boarding a small, motorized boat and head for the ship.  He's on the bow, still yelling and waving his arms.  Our captain apparently decided to allow our ship to coast to a stop while a rope ladder was lowered from a door so he and his overserved girlfriend could climb up the rope ladder while the Mexican boat was riding mildly rough seas and striking the Princess ship with a bit of force.  I thought I had a photo but can't find it.  Cheers

That happened on our very first Princess cruise.  A couple was late in St. Marten, and the ship left the pier and started sailing away. About 15 minutes after we sailed, a small boat was racing toward the ship (Sun Princess 2003). We leaned way over on the Promenade Deck and could see the boat pull up next to the ship, a rope ladder get tossed out with a life jacket attached to it, and, one at a time, the couple donned the life jacket and climbed the ladder. But when the man tried to bring along a cardboard box with four bottles of liquor, he wasn’t allowed to. He left the liquor, and something tells me it wasn’t the first time that small boat captain got a liquid tip. 

We had done about 10 cruises at that time, but none on Princess, and we had never seen anything like that before or since. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

So many "could have avoided" here.

There's a direct flight from LAS to HNL

LAS is a "smaller" airport

You are supposed to check in 90 minutes to 2 hours before flight

TSA precheck

I realize I don't know the circumstances.  But I am almost always an "early" person. 

We have all watched pier runners.  They all have the same common thread.  

- the ship wouldn't leave without me

- I don't have to run, they see me coming

- It doesn't matter that 4000 passengers and the captain are waiting on me

- most often Carnival/RCL passengers (this could be due to size of ship or destination or)

Still waiting for video of Skagway passengers.  sigh

I would like to think that most (some?) passengers who are late truly just made a mistake or got caught up in some circumstances  and are not self-absorbed 'the ship will wait for me'  type.  Not to say the ship should wait for them, but I do have some sympathy for those who simply made a very expensive mistake. I always make  sure to be back early, but things can happen......

1 minute ago, Buckeye10640 said:

I would like to think that most (some?) passengers who are late truly just made a mistake or got caught up in some circumstances  and are not self-absorbed 'the ship will wait for me'  type.  Not to say the ship should wait for them, but I do have some sympathy for those who simply made a very expensive mistake. I always make  sure to be back early, but things can happen......

You are very glad you shared the "other" half of people being late.  I will agree that a few may be in this group, but I do not believe many.

We had overnighted in San Francisco just recently.  I chose to pick up something from the Embarcadero on the second day.  There was a delay in my order.  For a brief moment, I panicked.  It was now 2:30.  Was all aboard at 3 or 4? 

Fortunately, I had a contact on the ship.  I called him.  He looked at his patter and affirmed sail away was at 5 PM.  He then called me back, again, to say that he spoke to someone in security who confirmed that I should get myself back by 4. PM.  

It hadn't even crossed my mind that I might have been late or missed the ship.  

Another time, I was on an Independent Panama Canal tour.  I specifically told the operator I wanted to be back to the pier 2 hours before the last tender.  Got stuck in traffic.  When we arrived, they were loading the trash barrels, water coolers, stanchions, etc.  I am sure I am not the only one that has "almost" missed the boat.  

Only guarantee is that this won't be the last time people will miss the boat.  Hoping never to be in that special club.

2 hours ago, Buckeye10640 said:

You have a better opinion of your fellow cruisers and of mankind than I do.

DON

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

51 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

We’ve had cruisers that have had medical issues, taxis or rental cars have broken down, car accidents, etc.

So, there are valid reasons, however, call port authorities so they can inform the ship.

Same reasons people miss planes and trains, yet planes and trains don't wait, so why should people expect a ship to wait?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, donaldsc said:

What should happen is that the ship should leave at precisely the posted time.  If the departure time is say 6:00 PM the ship should leave at 6:00 and 10 seconds even if a bunch of people are running down the dock.  If they did that it might teach the entitled slowpokes a lesson they would not forget.

We have a friend who was always late.  The joke was that she would be late for her own funeral.  One time  she and her husband were going to take a vacation in Hawaii - we live in Vegas.  Departure time for the Vegas to LAX was say 9:00 AM.  This means that the boarding gate closed about 15 minutes before the takeoff time.  She gets to the gate before departure time but after gate closure and they would not let her get onto the plane.  They missed their connection in LAX to Hawaii.  I am surprised that her husband did not kill her but you can be sure that she never did that again.

DON

My ex-wife was the same way.  That's one of the reasons she's my ex-wife!.😉

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

We had done about 10 cruises at that time, but none on Princess, and we had never seen anything like that before or since. 

We've seen it many years ago on Princess, but not lately.

I doubt if you'll ever see it again since that Pilot recently got killed during that maneuver.  

7 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Same reasons people miss planes and trains, yet planes and trains don't wait, so why should people expect a ship to wait?

If they can and not have it impact their schedule they will (if they are notified about the problem).  They will not wait past the point where they incur additional costs or where it will impact their arrival time at their next port.