Ruby Princess Pier Runners in Skagway?

dobiemom

Still waiting for the video.  In the meantime, I was able to find one about 4 passengers (almost) being left at the pier on Kauai. 

NCL had already pulled away from the dock.  Ship returned to dock to pick up passengers (amazing).  NCL overnights in Kauai.  Kauai is a short plane ride to Oahu.  Kauai is the last port before returning to Oahu for disembarkation.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Still waiting for the video.  In the meantime, I was able to find one about 4 passengers (almost) being left at the pier on Kauai. 

NCL had already pulled away from the dock.  Ship returned to dock to pick up passengers (amazing).  NCL overnights in Kauai.  Kauai is a short plane ride to Oahu.  Kauai is the last port before returning to Oahu for disembarkation.

Maybe the Captain fined them more than the airfare cost.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

Maybe the Captain fined them more than the airfare cost.

I didn't think passengers were fined for being late to the ship.  They did not deploy the gangway.  They sort of hopped on through the open door.  Looked like there was a piece of board from the ship to the dock.  Crew was tossing in bags and backpacks first, before gingerly reaching out by hand to get these passengers on board.  

12 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I didn't think passengers were fined for being late to the ship.  They did not deploy the gangway.  They sort of hopped on through the open door.  Looked like there was a piece of board from the ship to the dock.  Crew was tossing in bags and backpacks first, before gingerly reaching out by hand to get these passengers on board.  

Oh, I am sure such cases get a good dressing down from senior officer, if not the Captain himself.  I was on a voyage once where this happened and the Captain waited - and waited - and you could tell he was not amused.  I honestly don't know whether the cruise line can fine the guests, but it would seem reasonable if extra costs were incurred due to a late departure or overtime for the port pilot, etc.

• Like 2

On my first cruise, in the caribbean, back in 82, the ship Boheme, not a big ship just a little one, they kept pagin & pagin for this one guy, but to no avail, when the ship pulled back from the dock, this taxi came rushin up, & some guy jumped out with his duffle bag, an the ship had already pulled back 10 ft, threw him a rope, an.... come to find out, this guy was the drummer for the group, an the bosses weren't very happy with him, they were ready to fire the group. Didn't have my camera handy, but after that, always carried it with me.

• Like 1

By waiting, ship's captains have trained entitled people that the ship will wait on them.  Planes don't wait.  Trains don't wait.  Why do ships wait - unless it's an official excursion that is running late.

If word gets out that cruise ships don't wait on passengers who can't tell time, that behavior would change.

• Like 13

Oh! this is interesting. It appears that they could rent a car in Skagway and drive over to Whitehorse as long as they are carrying their passports where they can catch a flight over to Juneau on the 12th at a price of $972 with three different stops. If not they could keep driving to Fairbanks which would be closer than Anchorage. Remember all the ports south of Skagway are landlocked and cannot be accessed until you get all the way down to Prince Rupert, Canada. Sounds like they might have better luck with the Alaska ferry system. Time will tell. Tim

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, vivian02 said:

Oh! this is interesting... Time will tell. Tim

Agree!

To follow up my earlier post, today the Ruby cruised the glacier bay area. They have already been to Juneau. Tomorrow they will be in Ketchikan. Prince Rupert on the 13th. Ferry system sounds like the best option.

• Like 1

If it's a Princess excursion they will more than likely wait or get them to the next port. I'm guessing sometimes it cheaper to wait. If it's not a Princess excursion you're on your own and good luck.

On our very first cruise in Alaska, we were taking the train from Talkeetna to Whittier to pick up the ship. Because of northbound freight we were almost 3 hours late getting to the ship.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

By waiting, ship's captains have trained entitled people that the ship will wait on them.  Planes don't wait.  Trains don't wait.  Why do ships wait - unless it's an official excursion that is running late.

If word gets out that cruise ships don't wait on passengers who can't tell time, that behavior would change.

I think there are enough YouTube videos of pier runners missing the ship to show that anyone expecting the ship to wait is definitely taking a chance on it leaving without them.

• Like 1

Since the Ruby is doing round trips out of San Francisco, by missing the ship in Skagway they have effectively triggered a PVSA violation.  Boarding in another Alaska port and returning to SF will trigger another one.

13 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Since the Ruby is doing round trips out of San Francisco, by missing the ship in Skagway they have effectively triggered a PVSA violation.  Boarding in another Alaska port and returning to SF will trigger another one.

How about next week?  If the ship returns to Skagway and picks them up?

What a dilemma.