Looking for "not the normal FLL hotel"

1025cruise

I'm flying in to FLL for a cruise in Miami. Planning to spend the night in FLL before heading to Miami. Since I'm cruising on Virgin, I'm in no rush to get to Miami (my check in time isn't until 3:30). Looking for a place that either has a restaurant or is walking distance to something, ideally an included breakfast, and won't have an issue with the fact that I won't be in a rush to leave. I already checked out the Hard Rock, but it's beyond what I'm looking to spend.

Thanks.

Try Hyatt Place. You can also ask for a late check out but they'll hold your luggage. Several places near by to get breakfast. If you're a Hyatt member breakfast is included.

Hampton Inn (Andrews Ave - Downtown), or Tru By Hilton (NW 4th St - Flagler Village).  There are some very good restaurants within walking distance (local spots).

If you need transportation to Miami, the BrightLine station is close-by, so check the schedule.  While Tru is walking distance to the station, the Uber to / from the stations is free (might not want to walk the 2 blocks to the station with luggage in the heat).

Edited by brunello22

3 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

I'm flying in to FLL for a cruise in Miami. Planning to spend the night in FLL before heading to Miami. Since I'm cruising on Virgin, I'm in no rush to get to Miami (my check in time isn't until 3:30). Looking for a place that either has a restaurant or is walking distance to something, ideally an included breakfast, and won't have an issue with the fact that I won't be in a rush to leave. I already checked out the Hard Rock, but it's beyond what I'm looking to spend.

Thanks.

I once stayed at The Riverside Hotel.  Nice walking area, a few blocks to the beach, and if i remember, there wee canals  ( with pretty nice boats docked) right behind it.  I think it was on Las Olas Blvd, lots of restaurants close by.

• Like 3

Perhaps I should explain. Since I'm not cruising out of Port Everglades, and don't need to rush to the port, I don't need to rely on the "normal" hotels people use for precruise stays. And since I can't get to Miami until around 2:00, I was hoping for somewhere I could hang out a bit. It seems most of the "normal" hotels all charge a late check out fee. Plus, hoping to avoid the crowds of pre-cruisers.

2 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

Perhaps I should explain. Since I'm not cruising out of Port Everglades, and don't need to rush to the port, I don't need to rely on the "normal" hotels people use for precruise stays. And since I can't get to Miami until around 2:00, I was hoping for somewhere I could hang out a bit. It seems most of the "normal" hotels all charge a late check out fee. Plus, hoping to avoid the crowds of pre-cruisers.

Try https://www.margaritavillehollywoodbeachresort.com/stay

Look at the hotels at the beach.  In addition to some local hotels/resorts (Lago Mar, Pelican Grand) all the major chains have hotels.  The area has lots of restaurants (we like Coconuts on the Intracoastal) and the people watching is great.  Check out the tourist bureau's listings:

https://www.visitlauderdale.com/places-to-stay/hotels/beach-hotels/

Why Fort Lauderdale over Miami? FLL hotels in general are not great at all. Budget? All of the places mentioned so far are classic entry/mid level tourist traps. Are you trying to avoid that? You need hotel status or pay for a guaranteed late checkout. There's really no way around that. If you were already in Miami it would make more sense to pay for a late checkout since you would avoid the commute time on departure day, giving you more time at the hotel. 

On 6/11/2023 at 2:44 PM, Ashland said:

Try Hyatt Place. You can also ask for a late check out but they'll hold your luggage. Several places near by to get breakfast. If you're a Hyatt member breakfast is included.

Let's Not try the Hyatt Place and let's try the Courtyard Marriott on Seabreeze right between the BEACH the Marina and COCONUTS!! 

7 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

I'm flying into Ft. Lauderdale and arriving in the late evening. Makes more sense to stay there than head to Miami. Based on previous suggestion, I booked the Riverside Hotel.

Hi, in my opinion you made a great choice🙂

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TTEllis said:

Let's Not try the Hyatt Place and let's try the Courtyard Marriott on Seabreeze right between the BEACH the Marina and COCONUTS!! 

They can try what works out best for them 😐

On 6/12/2023 at 5:54 PM, Lois R said:

Hi, in my opinion you made a great choice🙂

Yes that's a great choice but what's the cost on the Riverside per night? It's more to stay there than it is to stay on the beach.

On 6/12/2023 at 6:01 PM, Ashland said:

They can try what works out best for them 😐

Good grief I was just kidding. I told you a long time ago I stayed here at The Hyatt Place the place was slammed PACKED couldn't sleep worst shuttle ever to the port which Thank goodness is only 2 miles away. Everybody pissed tons of kids. 

I just felt God forbid if your going to Ft. Lauderdale in the State of Florida which is world famous for its fabulous beaches you may want to stay in a location that's genuinely indicative of a vacation. That's all.

I mean for first time cruisers out of Port Everglades who would feel.a bit more comfortable staying right beside the Port instead of staying over on the beach I'm sure that's fine and dandy.

For those of us veteran cruisers who thoroughly enjoy planning and staying in a resort hotel on Las Olas Beach for basically the same price, this is the only way to go. That's all.

I just got on Hotwire which is how I book hotels. Yes hotel prices have gone up alot but Ft. Lauderdale is still doable on the beach for a more than fair price. I hope you don't take this wrong when I stay in Florida I stay on the beach. I'm just recommending others do the same. That's all.

4 hours ago, TTEllis said:

Yes that's a great choice but what's the cost on the Riverside per night? It's more to stay there than it is to stay on the beach.

Hi Todd, depends on the time of year really. I just really like the Riverside. Of course folks who prefer a beach property will have plenty of choices there too.

28 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Todd, depends on the time of year really. I just really like the Riverside. Of course folks who prefer a beach property will have plenty of choices there too.

I would stay at The Riverside that place is classic I just thought the rates are outta my league. That's all.

Thanks Lois 

Appreciate all your help👍

1 hour ago, Fosterddrc said:

The W Hotel is pretty cool.  Was lucky enough to stay there for a work trip.  It's right on A1A...with ocean views.

The W is my favorite of all the Resort hotels on A1A. Best vibe and atmosphere on the Beach. Nice pool great menu excellent service. Steak 954 is awesome.