Mediterranean Advice

desmith

My husband and I are considering a Mediterranean cruise. I have cruised the Caribbean multiple times and feel like I know the ins and outs. However, traveling abroad that far from home is making me hesitant. The itinerary we are considering has Barcelona at embarkation and Rome at debarkation. This would mean overnight stays in both cities. Lots of planning!!  
I have two main questions:

1) I have a TA that I have used for Disney in the past and I respect her knowledge. However, she does charge a fee. Are the cruise line reps just as good as a TA?
2) Do most people use cruise insurance? When I spoke with my TA she suggested that I not go through the cruise line for insurance. Apparently it doesn’t cover enough for most medical emergencies. I certainly don’t want to be oversees without adequate insurance coverage. 
Any thoughts and suggestions are much appreciated. 

Edited by desmith

Without knowing your TA, hard to say. I would trust somebody I know over somebody I am randomly going to meet by phone.

A number of people buy insurance, probably more since Covid. Can't say what percentage that is. There is a board here on insurance plans and ideas...like the very good insuremytrip.com. Also know exactly what your insurance covers outside the US.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, desmith said:

My husband and I are considering a Mediterranean cruise. I have cruised the Caribbean multiple times and feel like I know the ins and outs. However, traveling abroad that far from home is making me hesitant. The itinerary we are considering has Barcelona at embarkation and Rome at debarkation. This would mean overnight stays in both cities. Lots of planning!!  

1) I have a TA that I have used for Disney in the past and I respect her knowledge. However, she does charge a fee. Are the cruise line reps just as good as a TA?
2) Do most people use cruise insurance? When I spoke with my TA she suggested that I not go through the cruise line for insurance. Apparently it doesn’t cover enough for most medical emergencies. I certainly don’t want to be oversees without adequate insurance coverage. 

First, here is a link to the CC section on Travel Insurance:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

There will be LOTS of information there for you to browse or ask specific questions.

We would *never* get insurance through the cruise line.  We use 3rd party coverage, and use a broker. We are among the many here who use and recommend

www.TripInsuranceStore.com

But CALL them; don't rely upon the limited online policy summaries.  Let them help you find the best policy for your specific circumstances.

And your TA *charges* you a fee to book a cruise?  Don't TAs get commissions from cruise lines when they book for their clients?  Sounds a bit like double dipping. 😠

GC

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, desmith said:

Most importantly: “Pay a TA?” RIDICULOUS.

The cruise line is already paying them for doing the cruise line’s work. And the best TAs would NEVER charge you a fee!!! In fact, my preferred TAs share their commissions in the form of a rebate or refundable SBC.

Overnight stays at start (BCN) and finish (FCO)? Make that multiple land days to two of the best ports to visit for, at least, 3 days each.

For insurance, use a travel broker like Insuremytrip.com (excellent) and get a comprehensive policy to dovetail with your normal health et al. insurance overage. Disregard any suggestions here regarding specific insurance companies since YOUR needs and preferences are all that matters.

• Like 2

Over the decades we have used several different travel agencies. Never has one charged us a fee. On the other hand, we always receive OBC (onboard credit) and/or a substantial rebate from them. Just got a check from our current agency for $1000 after the conclusion of a recent cruise. Shop for a travel agency that will give you benefits, not charge you.

Agree on buying travel insurance from a broker. We use the aforementioned www.TripInsuranceStore.com   The broker never charges you a fee, and you pay the same for your chosen insurance that you would buying directly from the insurance company. Plus the broker explains your coverage and will be your advocate if necessary. DO read the terms and conditions from several potential policies and choose the one that suits your needs.

I also find it a bit odd that your TA charges you to book Disney.  

I buy my own trip insurance, especially for a longer trip like a Med cruise where you will be doing a pre and post cruise stay. I just booked a Med cruise myself that starts in Barcelona and ends in Rome.  I’m staying 3 nights pre-cruise in Barcelona,  and 3 nights post-cruise in Rome.  You could stay in Rome longer for sure as I was in Rome for a week a few years ago and felt like I barely scratched the surface.

What is commission on Disney Cruise?

Agencies booking less than $82,000 will receive a 10% commission rate. Agencies booking between $82,000 and $161,999 will receive an 11% commission rate. Agencies booking between $162,000 and $354,999 will receive a 12% commission rate.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rest of the schedule goes up to a max of 15%.  Which is why high volume TAs can afford to provide perks like OBC.

Your TA has been ripping you off, IMO.

We have a travel medical insurance policy because our domestic policy does not provide international coverage beyond emergency room visits.   Because we usually make 3 international trips/year, we have an annual travel medical policy.  It is easier and less expensive than buying coverage for each trip.     We do not purchase insurance for the actual trip costs.   

At the risk of repeating what has already been said, our TA is "better" than the cruise ship rep's because we can get better fares using them.   

We have taken many trips out of Barcelona and Rome.  Those two major hubs make travel connections a little easier.   Enjoy.   

In addition to the points already mentioned, I would strongly suggest that you start periodically reading the ports of call forums here on Cruise Critic for the areas you're interested in visiting -- there is a section under Europe called Mediterranean Ports and these are divided into ports located in France, Spain, Italy, Greece and one for other countries.  Lots of good information that will help you know what to expect, hotel recommendations, how to get around, etc. 

• Like 1

The decision to go with an agent boils down to final costs. I wouldn't book with an agent if the total savings is less than $100. An agent who charges a fee, likely nonrefundable, needs to do way better than a $100 difference.

With some research on these boards, you can easily find your own hotels and tours on your own. 

I would definitely get travel insurance but never accept the one offered by the cruise line. Fewer benefits for the money, unless you are REALLY old. That is when most travel insurance gets really out of control. The cruise lines don't base the policy on age.

Both ports are great. Know that Rome is at least an hour from the port while Barcelona is just minutes away. You should find lots of advice. Also look on the Tripadvisor forums for advice. (under "more.")

Sorry for not answering your questions as above but I did just want to say that my husband and I cruised the Caribbean for many years and enjoyed our winter getaways down south.  Once we took the plunge to start cruising abroad, we found a whole new world waiting for us and we haven't looked back since.  It is a bit more daunting to travel to other areas of the world but don't limit yourself to just the familiar places.  We have cruised to countries that we had only dreamed of and yes, there is a lot more to plan but we have met many interesting people and traveled to far away destinations which have been fantastic experiences.   So, go for it and enjoy all the new experiences while you can.

Best of luck and bon voyage,

Barb

Just a note about travel agents who charge a fee!  For all but the most exotic itineraries (such as planning an African safari) we would never pay a fee.  In fact, our favorite cruise agents pay us...sometimes thousands of dollars, for our business.  There are plenty of decent high volume cruise agencies that will give customers 5-10% in On Board Credit (OBC) or other extra amenities such as pre-paid gratuities.  

As to a first trip to Europe (be it a cruise or land), it is usually exciting, a little scary, and can require doing some real homework (regarding the itineraries and ports).  Just keep in mind that a European cruise will be more expensive than the typical Caribbean cruise because you have an expensive air component coupled as well as the expense of the ports (and just getting to/from places).  You also need to have Passports (valid for at least 6 months after your scheduled return).

The issue of insurance is a very personal issue that varies depending on your risk tolerance, existing medical insurance, etc.  You can come over the Cruise Critic Cruise/Travel Insurance blog (under Cruise Discussion Topics) and get plenty of help/advice  Also keep in mind that your "fee" travel agent gets a nice commission on any insurance he/she can sell.   Before you start looking into insurance, take a good look at your existing medical insurance and find out the extent to which you are covered outside your home country.

Hank

Lots of great comments here, maybe enough to seem to make your decisions seem more complicated! ! I agree with almost all that is said, adding that finding a good travel agent who is familiar with whatever cruise line you choose, as well as hotels in other cities, is not as easy as it may sound; but it's worth the effort, in the long run.

We are on a cruise departing Barcelona in November. Finding the right hotel was as time-consuming as booking the cruise! I followed a thread here - hotels in Barcelona - on the message board for the cruise line we're on.

On another note, certain credit cards include travel insurance, and usually for a tiny fee you can get really comprehensive coverage. These cards are a bit expensive, but the insurance (together with some other benefits) makes them worthwhile, I feel. I pay an additional $64 for each cruise or trip that we take to AmEx for very extensive coverage. Yes, you should have insurance.

17 hours ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

Lots of great comments here, maybe enough to seem to make your decisions seem more complicated! ! I agree with almost all that is said, adding that finding a good travel agent who is familiar with whatever cruise line you choose, as well as hotels in other cities, is not as easy as it may sound; but it's worth the effort, in the long run.

We are on a cruise departing Barcelona in November. Finding the right hotel was as time-consuming as booking the cruise! I followed a thread here - hotels in Barcelona - on the message board for the cruise line we're on.

On another note, certain credit cards include travel insurance, and usually for a tiny fee you can get really comprehensive coverage. These cards are a bit expensive, but the insurance (together with some other benefits) makes them worthwhile, I feel. I pay an additional $64 for each cruise or trip that we take to AmEx for very extensive coverage. Yes, you should have insurance.

Check out hotel universal Barcelona, great hotel has cool pool and bar on its roof with a great view of the city , floor 9 has a nice suite.

I'm the one off that has never used a travel agent, because I love making extensive travel arrangements, especially in Europe. Two or three months or more, no problem, I truly enjoy all of the planning, booking, etc. For me it's part of the fun of the whole trip.

Barcelona and Rome are wonderful cities with lots to see. I hope you are able to spend a few days in each. From Civitavecchia you can take the train or a taxi into Rome. 

Travel medical and evacuation insurance are a must for us. I use The Trip Insurance Store. You can read all the info on travel insurance here 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

• Like 1