How Many Ducks have you Found!??

sirclean

We are on a 2 week, round trip to Vancouver on the Glacier Bay, Alaska run! 

I scored FIVE ducks on this trip!!

How many have you found on one trip??

Did you keep them (I am, as my 3 year old niece will add them to her toy collection) or release them back in the wild?

My max number of found ducks on one cruise:  3.   I am not counting the duck that buffet personnel had found amongst the fruit/veggie carvings at the buffet and which they were discussing -- several of the personnel had not known of the duck hiding game, so they were being educated by other buffet attendants.  I am also not counting the duck that was attached to a cabin door (whether a duck found by a guest or as a declaration from the duck hider), because it was not hidden.  

I always catch and release.  I don't have a three year old niece to gift the ducks to.  Maybe I can adopt yours!

I wasn't sure if this was still being done, because I haven't found a single duck on my two (so far) 2023 cruises.

• Haha 1

Out of all my cruises I've kept one duck because it was so glittery and pretty. But I have spot it many in my years of cruising but usually I just leave them for the little ones or for anyone who is young at heart. It is a rather fun scavenger hunt of duckies!

Edited by Jeter02
  • Like 1

One - on the SKY 'inaugural' v2.0 - kept it

but I've been Duck, Duck, Jeep numerous times.  My favorite time was at the Post Office when a little girl came up as I was about to get into the Jeep and 'Ducked" me - with the biggest smile on her face and mine.  I just smiled at her Mom across the parking lot

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

Out of all my cruises I've kept one duck because it was so glittery and pretty. But I have spot it many in my years of cruising but usually I just leave them for the little ones or for anyone who is young at heart. It is a rather fun scavenger hunt of duckies!

I do the same - I've seen several, but I always leave them for the kids.

• Like 1

We schedule regular daily duck hunting expeditions. 
Even found some on MSC last month. We’ve found Princess, however, to make for better hunting. 
We typically rehide them. 

From time to time  though we will keep an especially cute one. 

I'm a hider, not a finder.  

I leave no tags and no identifying marks.  

They are bound and gagged with a bracelet with the specific cruise details printed on it. 

Not interested in where they go, but happy to see them gone.  

And I put them in plain sight!

BAHAHAHA!  The mad ducker strikes again!

We have found a few—catch and release is the norm unless they are very unusual—but I now make and hide crabs (see profile) on our cruises. The Ruby had 40 deployed over the course of 10 days and finished a few while onboard just before hiding.

I’m no sure how many end up in passenger hands. Because I haven’t started teaching people how to make them while I tested simplifying the process, they are rare but very popular with the crew. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, KatRangoon said:

What is this duck hiding/finding game and what are the rules? I've never heard of such a thing!

Oops, I realize I pasted the wrong link, so it likely won't show up - sorry CC, I didn't mean to! 🙄 

Just do an internet search for cruising ducks and you'll find everything you wanted to know Cruising Ducks 101, if you will.

Basically, you can hide ducks for people to find or search for ones that have been hidden. If you find one, you can keep it or re-hide it for someone else to find.

Edited by Haljo1935
Added text
  • Like 1

No joke, I found over 50 on one 4 day cruise. I have so many ducks I created a duck Christmas tree. A lot of ducks have a hole in the bottom, and you can put the light inside and it lights up the duck; although, it works better on light colored ducks as opposed to darker ones. Now, I order ducks and hide them on the ships.

Duck Tree.jpg

• Haha 3