Roommate can't go

1 hour ago, Ms313city said:

Both my kids are attending this cruise on Royal. My daughter bunks with me and in another room my cousin bunks with my son(14 yo). My cousin can't go. Will they deny my son access?

It is highly likely that Royal will not let him sail unaccompanied .  But you should not waste your time seeking advice on Cruise Critic. Talk to your travel agent, if you booked through one - or directly with Royal. The likely way to resolve this situation is to change your booking to a three person cabin, followed by trying to replace your cousin with another adult.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

It is highly likely that Royal will not let him sail unaccompanied .  But you should not waste your time seeking advice on Cruise Critic. Talk to your travel agent, if you booked through one - or directly with Royal. The likely way to resolve this situation is to change your booking to a three person cabin, followed by trying to replace your cousin with another adult.

Just say nothing. No will will deny him boarding if she is a no show. Say nothing. If they ask say oh she is behind us  ...they dont track if she didnt get on and kick him off. Just let her no show.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

While that may be true depending on cabin location in relation to the parents if they call Royal to remove the cousin ahead of time but if the cousin is a no show at the pier then they will be fine as once on board no one cares and worst case scenario is the child sleeps on the couch

Also, there are several travel agents that post on CC and a whole lot of posters that know a whole lot more than many of the travel agents out there so asking here is a great place to turn for advice.

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

You have a minor in a room by themselves. 

I would not gamble with this one 

Change your booking to move the son in your own cabin. 

The last thing you want is to worry if your child will be denied boarding .

Feel bad for your cousin, but your priority should be that the 3 of you will be ok

• Like 3

From RCCL site:

For voyages originating in North America:

No Guest younger than the age twenty-one (21) will be assigned to a stateroom unless accompanied in the same stateroom by an adult twenty-one (21) years old or older. A guest's age is established upon the first date of sailing.

This age limit will be waived for children sailing with their parents or guardians in connecting staterooms; for underage married couples; and for active duty members of the United States or Canadian military.

I know there have been situations where the cabins can be adjacent or directly across from the parents but I would make sure....

13 minutes ago, luvbrady said:

I know there have been situations where the cabins can be adjacent or directly across from the parents but I would make sure....

This - I've cruised with my kids when minors next door, across the hall, a couple doors away, and once a enough doors down where they even ended up in a different muster station.  All were fine, they were booked that way though, since you can book that way if you call in (an adult does not have to be booked in the same room when you call).  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, CGinMTL said:

Feel bad for your cousin, but your priority should be that the 3 of you will be ok

I agree with ourusualbeach beach who is a ta and deals with this more than most. Once boarded and the adult doesnt board they will not throw him off the ship. 

• Like 1

While I agree with others and would be tempted to just let the cousin be a 'no-show', I'd not chance it.  Picture the three of you standing on the pier trying to figure out what to do if RCCL denies him boarding.  I'd definitely try for adjoining cabins or a cabin big enough for the three of you.  Such a shame, but it's fixable.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

Is there another friend or relative who wants to go on a free cruise?  You could simply change the name on the reservation.  As others said, the no show option may also work, with your cousin arriving "later" after you are already on board....

He was the add on when another friend of mine couldn't go due to surgery. I don't have anyone else and it's in 10 days

49 minutes ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

Is there another friend or relative who wants to go on a free cruise?  You could simply change the name on the reservation.  As others said, the no show option may also work, with your cousin arriving "later" after you are already on board....

I didn't have another friend. He was the switch when the 1st person couldn't go. It's in 10 days

3 hours ago, CGinMTL said:

Yes! True. Still waiting to hear back if they will release him from the hospital or he will be able to stay.

2 hours ago, jsn55 said:

While I agree with others and would be tempted to just let the cousin be a 'no-show', I'd not chance it.  Picture the three of you standing on the pier trying to figure out what to do if RCCL denies him boarding.  I'd definitely try for adjoining cabins or a cabin big enough for the three of you.  Such a shame, but it's fixable.

Our rooms are right next door to each other. I'll confirm if they are adjoining. Waiting to confirm if they will let him out the hospital before I make a change. Thank u

2 hours ago, ShillyShally said:

This - I've cruised with my kids when minors next door, across the hall, a couple doors away, and once a enough doors down where they even ended up in a different muster station.  All were fine, they were booked that way though, since you can book that way if you call in (an adult does not have to be booked in the same room when you call).  

Our rooms are next door to each other. Waiting to hear if the hospital will keep him or not

3 hours ago, luvbrady said:

From RCCL site:

For voyages originating in North America:

No Guest younger than the age twenty-one (21) will be assigned to a stateroom unless accompanied in the same stateroom by an adult twenty-one (21) years old or older. A guest's age is established upon the first date of sailing.

This age limit will be waived for children sailing with their parents or guardians in connecting staterooms; for underage married couples; and for active duty members of the United States or Canadian military.

Great info. Thank u

33 minutes ago, Ms313city said:

Our rooms are right next door to each other. I'll confirm if they are adjoining. Waiting to confirm if they will let him out the hospital before I make a change. Thank u

Adjoining means next door, connecting means a door connecting the cabins.