Looks like P&O are changing the way dining bookings are done on Arvia

solentsam

9 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

We had a MDR meal after an 8.30pm show arriving at 9.25pm one night. Last table to arrive. It was in one of the smaller MDRS on Iona

Perfectly nice service. Quicker than normal and staff able to give you more personal attention as the restaurant was quieter 

Had nothing at all we could complain about we were the last group in and second to last group to leave. We still had soup and a starter and we had cheese and biscuits after dessert which we chose to take back to our cabin with us I seem to remember

And we chose to dine that late

Nobody forced us to do that

It just suited our schedule that night

Glad we could do it

Glad you enjoyed it and it suited .. and you had good service. How it should be :'-)

• Like 1

Interesting point Megabear about casual family cruisers also choosing dining venues that P&O hadn't anticipated.

I think in general she is attracting a higher proportion of passengers each cruise who she wasn't actually built for. Especially during term time and with bargain fares on offer. Many also do not have a disposable income, are on a budget and cannot afford speciality on multiple nights.

Edited by CarlaMarie
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

To your last point whats wrong with more tables being able to be Pre-booked for those that want to pre-book them at set times in more restaurants. 

Isn't that exactly what some people want and complain they can't do at the moment?

Ie the people who are used to set dining and in the past never complained at all about 6.30pm or 8.30pm dining slots every night. Can't this work for them?

Unless you only let people book early slots 6pm and late slots 9pm, then allowing people to book the peak time 7.30 to 8.30 slots means a reduced availability for everyone else.

Land based restaurants have the ability to say 'tough, we are full, you are not eating here tonight' but the MDRs on cruise ships cannot do that. They have to have a table for everyone that wants one, and preferably if they are to avoid complaints, roughly at the time someone wants to eat.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Now the other thing that I have to question is people who refer to losing the spontaneity of being able to do what they wanted when they wanted in the old days?

Weren't the old days 6.30pm or 8.30pm every night that you had  to decide when you booked your cruise holiday - sat on the same table in the same restaurant every night?

And if your were lucky one alternative restaurant for a special occasion. That you needed to pre-book asap to have a chance of getting a table

Is there any spontaneity whatsoever in the above?

What spontaneity exactly has been lost on the bigger ships? Compared to the old days?

What spontaneity at all actually existed in the  old days of cruising?

I’ll try to explain again. The ‘old days’ scenario you describe is more than 20 years ago, when there was no Freedom Dining. That is not what we are talking about. We are talking about the original Freedom Dining. 

Freedom dining was a great concept that worked purely on a ‘first come, first served’ basis. You could not book a table. Consequently, the only ‘down time’ when a table wasn’t being used was when there was no demand for it. As a table was vacated, it was reset and the next guests to arrive were shown to it. This provided passengers with complete flexibility to dine when they wanted (spontaneity) and most times you were seated immediately. If you wanted a table for two, they usually asked you to stand to one side for a few minutes until a suitable table was free. At the busiest times (and in particular on very busy cruises, such as summer school holidays) you might be given a pager. In these scenarios the wait was usually very short but the longest I can recall was around 45 minutes on Britannia in August school holidays (well below the sort of waits people are reporting now at peak times).

Arvia and Iona weren’t meant to have Club (fixed) dining, and were meant to be 100% Freedom Dining, using the process described above. It became clear that there was still a demand for fixed (set time dining) so P&O introduced a hybrid system where an element of fixed dining has been introduced in restaurants designed to be operating on a Freedom basis. Our P&O insider has confirmed in an earlier post what some of us said was the inevitable outcome that, as a result of this approach, tables are sitting vacant for anything up to 30 minutes. This goes some considerable way to explain why the wait times are so long during the busier periods, as this ‘down time’ should not be happening in a proper Freedom dining restaurant.

Please keep in mind that on the very rare occasions that you use the MDR you are usually dining very early or very late. There will be less demand at these times. Most people probably prefer to dine between 7 and 9pm, with the peak period time probably being around 8pm. According to reports, this seems to be when the longest waits occur. You also use speciality restaurants a lot (most meals I believe). Cruises are sold as being an “all inclusive” concept (when it comes to food) and whilst there are extra cost venues (which, like you, we use), P&O are targeting a new market (particularly on Iona and Arvia) which possibly has less disposable income and won’t be budgeting  for paying extra for meals most nights, so demand for MDRs is more than anticipated. Many of us might say that this was entirely predictable, but it seems to have caught P&O out.

Finally, you’ve mentioned in a couple of posts that with the large increase in passenger numbers  on Iona and Arvia, the previous system of Freedom Dining wouldn’t work. I would argue the complete opposite. The increase in the numbers of passengers is precisely why they shouldn’t have tried to fix a problem that never existed. I would suggest that if they scrapped the ability to pre-book MDR tables completely and operated proper freedom dining, wait times would fall. However, this assumes that P&O want to accommodate more passengers in the (free) MDRs

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

And so the table is unused for the 15 minutes before cancellation and up to 15 minutes whilst the new people arrive - so double the unutilised time as before. That is a significant impact.

You mean just going back to the 6.30 / 8.30 fixed dining.

So you now have to book if you eat in the buffet or any of the other casual dining places on board - that's new.

Point 1. People who go to the effort of Pre-booking and not turning up are in the minority. But yes they exist. 

However, in the real world of restaurants - you give card details now and are "fined" if you don't turn up. So seeing as P and O already have our card details. Why not fine those people who don't turn up and don't cancel 15 pounds per person?

With proviso you have to cancel at least 30 minutes before your meal. Very simple to add that to the app.  And your problem above is solved?

Anyone who gets fined I have absolutely zero sympathy for as they are just selfish for not cancelling 

Point 2  - not at all. If I have a 5.30pm reservation I have to vacate within 1hr 45 mins. Ie by 7.15pm latest  (Or whatever the standard  time is)

6.15pm reservation I vacate by 8pm etc

7..15pm reservation I vacate by 9pm etc

Nothing like 6.30pm and 8.30pm at all

Works all over the world now with modern restaurant systems. You sign upto it when you book. Of course if the restaurant doesn't serve you in that time period that's the restaurants problem and not your problem. 

Point 3 where did I say you should need to book for buffets or the take aways  etc? Of course not. No problems there. Sit down served table restaurants only.

(I'm also unaware of any P and O smaller cruise ships with sit down speciality restaurants where you don't need to reserve tables in advance of sitting down. Even GlassHouse). Am I wrong?

2 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I’ll try to explain again. The ‘old days’ scenario you describe is more than 20 years ago, when there was no Freedom Dining. That is not what we are talking about. We are talking about the original Freedom Dining. 

Freedom dining was a great concept that worked purely on a ‘first come, first served’ basis. You could not book a table. Consequently, the only ‘down time’ when a table wasn’t being used was when there was no demand for it. As a table was vacated, it was reset and the next guests to arrive were shown to it. This provided passengers with complete flexibility to dine when they wanted (spontaneity) and most times you were seated immediately. If you wanted a table for two, they usually asked you to stand to one side for a few minutes until a suitable table was free. At the busiest times (and in particular on very busy cruises, such as summer school holidays) you might be given a pager. In these scenarios the wait was usually very short but the longest I can recall was around 45 minutes on Britannia in August school holidays (well below the sort of waits people are reporting now at peak times).

Arvia and Iona weren’t meant to have Club (fixed) dining, and were meant to be 100% Freedom Dining, using the process described above. It became clear that there was still a demand for fixed (set time dining) so P&O introduced a hybrid system where an element of fixed dining has been introduced in restaurants designed to be operating on a Freedom basis. Our P&O insider has confirmed in an earlier post what some of us said was the inevitable outcome that, as a result of this approach, tables are sitting vacant for anything up to 30 minutes. This goes some considerable way to explain why the wait times are so long during the busier periods, as this ‘down time’ should not be happening in a proper Freedom dining restaurant.

Please keep in mind that on the very rare occasions that you use the MDR you are usually dining very early or very late. There will be less demand at these times. Most people probably prefer to dine between 7 and 9pm, with the peak period time probably being around 8pm. According to reports, this seems to be when the longest waits occur. You also use speciality restaurants a lot (most meals I believe). Cruises are sold as being an “all inclusive” concept (when it comes to food) and whilst there are extra cost venues (which, like you, we use), P&O are targeting a new market (particularly on Iona and Arvia) which possibly has less disposable income and won’t be budgeting  for paying extra for meals most nights, so demand for MDRs is more than anticipated. Many of us might say that this was entirely predictable, but it seems to have caught P&O out.

Finally, you’ve mentioned in a couple of posts that with the large increase in passenger numbers  on Iona and Arvia, the previous system of Freedom Dining wouldn’t work. I would argue the complete opposite. The increase in the numbers of passengers is precisely why they shouldn’t have tried to fix a problem that never existed. I would suggest that if they scrapped the ability to pre-book MDR tables completely and operated proper freedom dining, wait times would fall. However, this assumes that P&O want to accommodate more passengers in the (free) MDRs

Thank you Selbourne, you have said exactly what I was going to say.

People weren’t talking about the dining arrangements of a quarter of a century ago, but the freedom dining era as it was prior to Covid.  I’ve had a think, and I’m fairly sure that freedom dining was only introduced around 2008, when Ventura first sailed.  Therefore the period of time is 2008-2019.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Point 1. People who go to the effort of Pre-booking and not turning up are in the minority. But yes they exist. 

However, in the real world of restaurants - you give card details now and are "fined" if you don't turn up. So seeing as P and O already have our card details. Why not fine those people who don't turn up and don't cancel 15 pounds per person?

With proviso you have to cancel at least 30 minutes before your meal. Very simple to add that to the app.  And your problem above is solved?

Anyone who gets fined I have absolutely zero sympathy for as they are just selfish for not cancelling 

Point 2  - not at all. If I have a 5.30pm reservation I have to vacate within 1hr 45 mins. Ie by 7.15pm latest  (Or whatever the standard  time is)

Works all over the world now with modern restaurant systems. You sign upto it when you book. Of course if the restaurant doesn't serve you in that time period that's the restaurants problem and not your problem. 

Point 3 where did I say you should need to book for buffets or the take aways  etc? Of course not. No problems there. Sit down served table restaurants only.

(I'm also unaware of any P and O smaller cruise ships with sit down speciality restaurants where you don't need to reserve tables in advance of sitting down. Even GlassHouse). Am I wrong?

You could certainly go to the Glasshouse as recently as 2019 with no prior booking. I know this, because I did this several times on my last P&O Cruise on Azura in Sept 2019. In fact, it was one of my favourite things to do. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Thank you Selbourne, you have said exactly what I was going to say.

People weren’t talking about the dining arrangements of a quarter of a century ago, but the freedom dining era as it was prior to Covid.  I’ve had a think, and I’m fairly sure that freedom dining was only introduced around 2008, when Ventura first sailed.  Therefore the period of time is 2008-2019.

I couldn’t remember when it was introduced, but terrierjohn had said 20 years ago in one of his posts so I went with that. You may well be right though. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

Unless you only let people book early slots 6pm and late slots 9pm, then allowing people to book the peak time 7.30 to 8.30 slots means a reduced availability for everyone else.

Land based restaurants have the ability to say 'tough, we are full, you are not eating here tonight' but the MDRs on cruise ships cannot do that. They have to have a table for everyone that wants one, and preferably if they are to avoid complaints, roughly at the time someone wants to eat.

I don't get that point?

Once someone books they won't be dining elsewhere at other times? So it's inevitably pressure off other venues somewhere on the ship? And each table in MDR should be able to be used at the very least twice per dining session which I imagine is the plan?

A 7pm or earlier  booking would free table for 9pm onwards or earlier 

An 8pm onwards booking frees that table from 6pm or earlier 

11 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Good informative post MB

My observation is that when given the choice most people (not all) would only choose to share if it means getting a table sooner when they don't want to wait. We would share in that situation in some instances. I made that observation in my live thread on Iona where larger tables now are much less common to see. And mainly larger family groups as well.

We've not had to do that yet even if it worked as we've just found if we join the queues for where we want to eat at the right times we don't have to wait as we plan it to co-incide when we finish what we were doing before

So basically if people understand how to use the app. By and large they won't face problems 

To your last point whats wrong with more tables being able to be Pre-booked for those that want to pre-book them at set times in more restaurants. 

Isn't that exactly what some people want and complain they can't do at the moment?

Ie the people who are used to set dining and in the past never complained at all about 6.30pm or 8.30pm dining slots every night. Can't this work for them?

For people like me and you who may want different things on different nights it's a bonus as well IMO

I don't see this as a step backwards but as a step forwards myself

The same people who say they don't like to pre-book and prefer spontaniety seem to me to be mostly the ones who in the past only had one choice anyway 6.30pm or 8.30pm?

Maybe that old fashioned  option could even be added to the app. One click gets you set dining in MDR every night at same time?

Then to book a speciality that booking automatically gets amended that night and you don't even have to  cancel

Anyway like I say

It seems a positive to me. Not a negative. 

You'd be surprised how many people actually do like to share,what people previously were nervous of wasa shared table with the same people all of the cruise. The demand for tables for 2 stemmed originally from that from what I can see.

The main point is still can Arvia offer a seat in a free serviced restaurant to every passenger who wants one, shared or otherwise and the answer seems to be no at least at present.

Other lines have these big ships with lots of pay dining options.  What they do to tempt people to use them and relieve pressure on the included ones is sell in advance a package for X, Y, or Z nights, often discounted. People then choose a time and restaurant from advance on board guaranteed their place but not a time.  This of course allows the cruise line to see how many prospective diners they may have in the "free" restaurants and they add other promotions or events to tempt others away. What they also have is more MDR capacity in the first place.

Maybe the package idea should be considered on P&O.  We have lots on here who'd presumably like one as they eat specialty every night.

• Like 3

If you are going down that route then perhaps the alternative is charging people to book - £15 per person if you want to book a slot and if you want to eat for free then stand in the queue.

6 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Who is eating at 5.30pm in the afternoon? That is why there is a shortage of tables because everyone wants to eat at 7.30 to 8.00pm

9 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

And meanwhile your pre-booked MDR table goes unused because P&O don't know you are eating elsewhere.

7 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I don't get that point?

Once someone books they won't be dining elsewhere at other times? So it's inevitably pressure off other venues somewhere on the ship? And each table in MDR should be able to be used at the very least twice per dining session which I imagine is the plan?

A 7pm or earlier  booking would free table for 9pm onwards or earlier 

An 8pm onwards booking frees that table from 6pm or earlier 

Most people don't want to eat at either 6pm or 9pm, that's the issue.

By allowing bookings for the peak times then you reduce capacity for those tables as they cannot be turned as quickly because instead of just taking the next person from the queue and serving them, you have to allow time for the pre-booked party to arrive.

And once you have taken a booking for a 7.30pm table then it is incredibly unlikely it is going to be turned twice as few are eating at 5.30pm or 9.30pm.

Edited by 9265359
  • Like 2

Before you very rarely had to reserve a table at Sindhu, the Glass House etc... 

Currently, the advice on ships other than Iona and Arvia does state that you do not need to book and they will accept walk ins. 

My Dad went to the Glass House during the day on Britannia to try and book a table for an evening, he was told he wasn't able to do that. That evening they went to the Glass House to get a table and were then asked to join the virtual queue using the app if they wanted a table.

So it is misleading. 

7 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I couldn’t remember when it was introduced, but terrierjohn had said 20 years ago in one of his posts so I went with that. You may well be right though. 

I was having a think about it. I know that I embraced freedom dining as soon as it came out.

I also remember going on a cruise in late 2007 on Oriana, where we had to have a table for 6. Also, I went on little Artemis in 2009, where I felt that we had to go backwards to Club dining. That’s why I guessed 2008, when Ventura came out, and we did Freedom dining on our 2008 Ventura cruise. 

I can understand why terrierjohn thought it was 20 years since freedom dining came in, as the previous dining arrangements seem like they were from a long ago era ! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CarlaMarie said:

Before you very rarely had to reserve a table at Sindhu, the Glass House etc... 

Currently, the advice on ships other than Iona and Arvia does state that you do not need to book and they will accept walk ins. 

My Dad went to the Glass House during the day on Britannia to try and book a table for an evening, he was told he wasn't able to do that. That evening they went to the Glass House to get a table and were then asked to join the virtual queue using the app if they wanted a table.

So it is misleading. 

Britannia uses the app as well. Ventura, etc. do not. I have walked into the Glass House on Ventura, Arcadia, and Aurora for lunch in the past year, no booking required. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fionboard said:

Britannia uses the app as well. Ventura, etc. do not. I have walked into the Glass House on Ventura, Arcadia, and Aurora for lunch in the past year, no booking required. 

We tend to use the Glasshouse quite a bit for lunch and, like you, have just walked in (no booking required). 

When you say that the app isn’t used on Ventura, does that mean that Freedom Dining still works as it used to i.e. you just walk down to the restaurant when you fancy dinner and are seated immediately? 🤞

17 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Selbourne I cannot possibly envisage how with less certainty of where or when 5,300 to 6500 people want to dine that the meal times could become smoother. If someone offered me the job of managing that I would turn the job down and tell them they must be crackers! Lol

I'm a born organiser. Logistics and organising are jobs I've done all my life. That scenario would terrify me. 

I've used that freedom dining you described on some of our early cruises. We always chose it when given the choice compared to fixed dining. I honestly believe nowadays most people on cruises would choose that as well. Hence why a selling point of Iona when launched was all freedom dining 

I feel what I get now on Arvia and Iona is the same and far far better as what you describe. Having experienced both myself.  Now I not only get to choose when I want to dine. I get to choose where as well. 

If I want to secure smaller speciality restaurant dining I need to book in advance. Exactly the same as in those days on Azura and Britannia?

If I'm on a smaller ship than them I've got so few choices anyway I've kind of lost spontaneity before it even started? Let's be honest? And still need to pre-book speciality on Acadia etc or not have it at all.

I can eat early, middle, late in a huge variety of places. 

If I pre-book I can do it with certainty and plan other stuff before or after 

If I want to fly by the seat of my pants I can do that as well. Albeit if I choose to do that I need to expect I won't always get what I want when I want it. 

But what I have now is a huge amount of choice Is never had before on a cruise ship. I love that

I totally accept the  choice and needing to be pre-organised actually puts people off the bigger ships

So surely they just keep booking smaller ships where theres less to think about doing and where theres structures you can just jump right into

What I can't accept  is people saying that provides more spontaneity though. 

I can go on Arvia and Iona and try and walk in MDRS whenever I want still?

I just choose not to do that. I like a bit more control of my nights

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Selbourne said:

We tend to use the Glasshouse quite a bit for lunch and, like you, have just walked in (no booking required). 

When you say that the app isn’t used on Ventura, does that mean that Freedom Dining still works as it used to i.e. you just walk down to the restaurant when you fancy dinner and are seated immediately? 🤞

Suppose so, however my one and only time on "Freedom" ( oxymoron!) was on Iona.

18 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

You'd be surprised how many people actually do like to share,what people previously were nervous of wasa shared table with the same people all of the cruise. The demand for tables for 2 stemmed originally from that from what I can see.

The main point is still can Arvia offer a seat in a free serviced restaurant to every passenger who wants one, shared or otherwise and the answer seems to be no at least at present.

Other lines have these big ships with lots of pay dining options.  What they do to tempt people to use them and relieve pressure on the included ones is sell in advance a package for X, Y, or Z nights, often discounted. People then choose a time and restaurant from advance on board guaranteed their place but not a time.  This of course allows the cruise line to see how many prospective diners they may have in the "free" restaurants and they add other promotions or events to tempt others away. What they also have is more MDR capacity in the first place.

Maybe the package idea should be considered on P&O.  We have lots on here who'd presumably like one as they eat specialty every night.

Do we actually have examples of anyone unable to have non paid MDR dining on board Arvia or Iona though? 

Or are we just talking about it not happening at the perfect time for them. Or having to wait in either a virtual queue or if they prefer a physical queue to have it happen?

1 hour ago, Fionboard said:

Lucky you. Looking at all these posts, many obviously were not. 

You are confusing Iona and Arvia. I have not seen many complaints about Iona.

Just now, daiB said:

I have a complaint about Iona, but that hopefully that issue will be resolved by the new booking system, if that is rolled out to Iona. 

1 minute ago, daiB said:

My experience is of Iona. Twice as I gave her a second chance to make sure she was not for me. Have not been on Arvia but assume the experience would be the same. 

51 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

Not being disrespectful at all. I have done 74 cruises with 5 different lines but most with P&O. As I have said before, I travel alone and have had fixed (late) dining on all cruises, except Iona of course. I use the MDR for all meals, never the self service buffet. I do not want to dine alone, so obviously do not use the speciality venues either. Try to understand that successful, sociable cruising solo is far more enjoyable on the smaller ships which you, as a couple and younger, would probably dislike. 

I 100 per cent totally get that, respect that and will likely want something like that myself if I'm single in the future. Or vice versa my wife will.

But youve pretty much exactly confirmed my observation. 

What you have described is not spontaneous at all. It's the total opposite.

It's set dining without speciality dining at a set time each night?

No choice, no decision, no spontaneity at all.

And that's exactly what you prefer and want. Which I totally understand.

But that's why I totally don't understand people saying they don't like the bigger ships as you have to pre-book everything.

You effectively pre-book everything the day you book your  holiday.  You remove any choices to be made. 

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

10 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Now the other thing that I have to question is people who refer to losing the spontaneity of being able to do what they wanted when they wanted in the old days?

Weren't the old days 6.30pm or 8.30pm every night that you had  to decide when you booked your cruise holiday - sat on the same table in the same restaurant every night?

And if your were lucky one alternative restaurant for a special occasion. That you needed to pre-book asap to have a chance of getting a table

Is there any spontaneity whatsoever in the above?

What spontaneity exactly has been lost on the bigger ships? Compared to the old days?

What spontaneity at all actually existed in the  old days of cruising?

The old days were not all fixed dining, 2 out of the 3 MDRs offered freedom dining with no pre booking permitted, you just turned up when you wanted and were seated, rarely were there queues. That was true spontaneity.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Do we actually have examples of anyone unable to have non paid MDR dining on board Arvia or Iona though? 

Or are we just talking about it not happening at the perfect time for them. Or having to wait in either a virtual queue or if they prefer a physical queue to have it happen?

Several people have stated they were unable to get seated in the MDR, and had to use the buffet, quays or pay extra in one of the speciality dining options.

• Like 4