Just how much of a problem ARE interlopers in the YC?

mafig

12 hours ago, tony s said:

How would you feel if you kept being asked for your wristband because you look different. Happened to my wife on both occasions we have been in YC, including at the insistence of a Hyacinth Bucket wannabe. So IT’S NOT THE WRONG ANSWER! Would that not ruin”the experience “. And for the record she carries here card as she can’t wear her wrist band due to a medical condition. So rather than play YC police look at the whole situation 

Please pardon my ignorance but what is a ‘Hyacinth Bucket Wannabe?’  I can relate to your wife’s inability to wear the wristband but I don’t have near the hostile experience as you. Would you mind elaborating?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mafig said:

Oh no.  Absolutely not.  I would be slightly envious of their good fortune and admire them for getting a "good deal."  Probably ask them for the name of their TA.  

However, I don't think most people, especially in the YC (nose in the air) discuss price.🤑

I think you have figured out how to determine who belongs in the YC and who doesn't. If they don't have their nose in the air, they don't belong there !!!!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

You are suggesting that getting a “good deal” for YC is somehow akin to Walmart shopping

Not quite. I used the term "Walmart Yacht Club" as another way of saying, "cheaper Yacht Club".

Because, you know, Walmart has the reputation of having lower prices.

39 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Please pardon my ignorance but what is a ‘Hyacinth Bucket Wannabe?’  I can relate to your wife’s inability to wear the wristband but I don’t have near the hostile experience as you. Would you mind elaborating?

shock-horror.gif

From the BBC TV show "Keeping Up Appearances"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

It happened during the Lighthouse show.

The pool desk was not staffed, and I didn't see any YC staff. Someone went down the exterior stairs and the door was slow to close. The next thing I knew the entire front of the ship was standing room only as people came up the exterior stairs to watch the show.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, GPPhilly said:

My response was that the OP should not ask as the answer would be no and that would put the staff and the OP in an uncomfortable position. 

Interesting topic.  We sailed the World Europa Repositioning cruise from Dubai to Genoa this year in the YC.  About a month before sailing we realized a colleague would also be on board but not in YC.  We met them several times for drinks in the main portion of the ship.  Come to find out they are very regular MSC cruisers but had never sailed in the YC, not knowing if it was really worth the extra cost.  We asked our Butler if they could join us for dinner in the YC restaurant one night.  The butler informed us this was possible, subject to the YC Hotel Director confirming it would not be too busy on the night we selected and that there would be a EUR 70 fee (if I remember correctly).  She then suggested that it would also be possible to invite them for a drink in the YC lounge if we paid for their drinks.  Finally, she said in any case she could arrange a "tour" of the YC spaces for them.  We opted to have them into the lounge for a couple of drinks, after which we went down to the speakeasy.

I add to this conversation as our Butler seemed to treat this as a quite appropriate request which had been thought about and a contemplated response.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here is another potential problem exacerbating this situation. Been reading social media from those traveling in the Yacht Club on World Europa, sister ship to the new World America. It appears that the YC venues are the same square footage while the number of guests will be doubled. Perhaps we should just 'suck it up' and enjoy the "Sea".....ships because the worst is yet to come.

In addition, I have read on another cruise site the importance of a ship's 'space ratio'. Over all, not YC portion, the space ratio of the World America is 34.2. Less than 33 means crowded in areas. Greater than (>) 39 means plenty of space for each passenger. When a ship is not sailing at capacity the space ratio can be as good as 41. These details are very difficult to ascertain before one books a ship and date well in advance. We just have to go with more CC postings like these.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Brighton Line said:

The pool desk was not staffed, and I didn't see any YC staff. Someone went down the exterior stairs and the door was slow to close. The next thing I knew the entire front of the ship was standing room only as people came up the exterior stairs to watch the show.

Yes, the same thing happened on our Divina cruise. The interlopers actually forced and broke the lock and poured into the YC section. DW and I were crowded out from our viewing position and just left the area altogether missing the show. This problem is inherent on all the Seaships we have been on.

Thanks for reminding me about something I am trying to forget. (there are many counter balancing positives about the YC that make it worthwhile booking).

Edited by morpheusofthesea

18 hours ago, GPPhilly said:

I was flamed by a person on a group on facebook because someone asked since they were in the YC but the people they were traveling with were not could they have them join them for dinner few nights.  Some said it could not hurt to ask.  My response was that the OP should not ask as the answer would be no and that would put the staff and the OP in an uncomfortable position.  The person that said it couldn't hurt to ask, ripped into me saying I was what was wrong with the elitist YC guests.  

My response and view on this is very simple.  People pay money to have the YC and the service level in the YC and to expect that someone should be able to join you that hasn't paid is not fair to the other paying guests.  You as a YC guest are free to go join them at a general restaurant or specialty restaurant or other public area.  Simple.  

Oh, hey... I'm on that FB post too and also got ripped.  I'm 100% on your side.  Why put someone in a position of being uncomfortable KNOWING that's they are pushing the issue.  (In this case it was a woman who wanted her Mom and Aunt to join her.  My answer is either upgrade your Mom & Aunt you cheap *** or join them in the rest of the ship. She was the one wanting to be a show off!)

• Like 5

On 6/20/2023 at 10:13 AM,  tony s said: 

the staff member actually asking for proof and entertaining this cracker would be offensive. 

18 hours ago, Bgwest said:

Please elaborate and enlighten us all. 

Still awaiting a response

2 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Yes, the same thing happened on our Divina cruise. The interlopers actually forced and broke the lock and poured into the YC section. 

Doesn't MSC have Security ???😒

Edited by mafig

4 hours ago, Brighton Line said:

We tend to watch the Lighthouse show from the outside area in front of the Top Sail lounge. We've only had about one or two other couples out there with us. (Not condoning what you experienced though.  I had wondered about that gate on our last cruise on the Mera because it seemed slow to close and like someone could probably leave it intentionally ajar so others could try to sneak into YC.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Morgsmom said:

Oh, hey... I'm on that FB post too and also got ripped.  I'm 100% on your side.  Why put someone in a position of being uncomfortable KNOWING that's they are pushing the issue.  (In this case it was a woman who wanted her Mom and Aunt to join her.  My answer is either upgrade your Mom & Aunt you cheap *** or join them in the rest of the ship. She was the one wanting to be a show off!)

I also saw the post and agree 100%!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jules815 said:

I also saw the post and agree 100%!

1000% agree! I do not have a problem with bringing a guest to simply show them and then show them out, but to utilize the amenities they have not paid for….nope! Fork over the cash and book a yacht club, or stay the heck out ! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

The interlopers actually forced and broke the lock and poured into the YC section. 

I picture a scene from an old movie showing the storming of the Bastille.  

4 hours ago, Bgwest said:

On 6/20/2023 at 10:13 AM,  tony s said: 

the staff member actually asking for proof and entertaining this cracker would be offensive. 

Still awaiting a response

Keyboard warrior has vanished into the night.  Personally the story sounded far fetched.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Morgsmom said:

Bingo.

• Like 1