Never seen so many unhappy people on RCCL Cruise - Anthem out of UK

7 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Seems like a lot of your complaints are the result of rude or inconsiderate passengers, with a dose of poor parenting.  Also, unrealistic expectations.

Sailed Anthem on the spring TA to Southampton.  Many happy people aboard.

But that is Royals fault for appealing to them, it seems. 

And the “issue” with the shows has been around since we started cruising. Costs a lot to change shows, so they don’t do it. Unless there is a more expensive licensing problem. The shows on the Adventure are the same ones we saw in 2004. 

As for the layout of the ship, it’s certainly an issue for some. But less can be done about that than the shows. 

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

These types of posts are always good for a laugh.

Yep!

Many other cruise lines / departure ports / classes of ship out there.

If one doesn't suit you then find one which does - each person has different wants/expectations from a cruise.

I'm willing to bet you could find thousands of satisfied , happy passengers on the same cruise.

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, SummerBeee said:

Never seen Spectra. Only saw We Will Rock You once and that was on land.

Also haven’t ever sailed on Anthem. It appears you need to pick a different departure port

49 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

Nope, haven't seen We will Rock you, or Spectra ever.

We love the Anthem!  And we always enjoy the We Will Rock you show.  We have seen Spectra on Quantum, Anthem and Ovation and don’t need to see it anymore.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pandamonia said:

Diamond status - The ONLY reason id ever consider sailing with Royal now. 4 drinks per day each, free days wifi, Diamond Lounge with free Coffee and nice food and a relaxing place to sit and listen to people talk about how bad Royal has gotten it seems

Thank you for your incredibly comprehensive review. You gave terrific details and examples.

The quoted section was perhaps was my favorite paragraph.  The  times I’ve been in D lounge or upper tier lunch, it seems many just sit there and complain.

m

59 minutes ago, Trixie21 said:

Yep!

Many other cruise lines / departure ports / classes of ship out there.

If one doesn't suit you then find one which does - each person has different wants/expectations from a cruise.

I'm willing to bet you could find thousands of satisfied , happy passengers on the same cruise.

Seeing as the number of first time cruisers who want to take a second cruise is higher now than it was before covid, I'd say just about every passenger is happy.

Even those that have a terrible time seem to enjoy finding ways that it was terrible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, sowhat said:

Seems to me that some people  on Cruise Critic may like the quote  from A Few Good Men

You can't handle the truth,"

"Truth" in this case are just opinions.  And opinions vary depending on the person.

Sure, opinions are true to you, since you generated that opinion.  But extrapolating that to everyone, well, you can try.  

Also, in many cases, it's interesting how people don't expect to have someone explain why things are the way they are- like why shows never, ever, change.  Although, I also find it interesting how many "experienced" cruisers don't seem to know that.  Or they just like to complain about it for reasons.  Which is fine- it's their money they are spending.

But at the same time, nobody is forcing you to take this RCI cruise, let alone a cruise.  Sucks that people have a bad time.  In the end, if this means less people on Royal cruises, that's fine with me- anything to get the costs down.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Well pricing should be based on market. Especially since Magners or Bulmers cider is made in the UK which makes US prices irrelevant for a UK cruise. A bottle of bud in the UK is 15 GBP for 20 bottles. im still trying to understand how it becomes 8.25 USD when it gets from the UK port to the ship bar. 

Id love to meet the braindead Royal manager who put together the pricing scheme for Euro sailings. Its like they got the interns to put the menus together this year. Never seen anything like it. 

Sounds like the standard markup for alcohol resale the world around. I truly don’t see a unique situation here that backs your claims that Royal is treating the Euro market

differently than any other. 

• Like 2

Sounds like panic stations from Royal UK HQ. I bet they will throw all inclusive back on the ships too when it comes back and cut back on the waiters. 

This year MSC didnt do all inclusive drinks and basically they are having to give away cabins instead. Tui all inclusive is constantly sold out in comparison. 

I'm not saying your original comments aren't justified, although your experiences haven't matched our own on Anthem, but our August 2024 UK Anthem sailing is almost sold out even with extremely high prices compared to 2022 and 2023.

I'm not personally seeing Royal UK panic stations.

1 hour ago, Tin can said:

I'm not saying your original comments aren't justified, although your experiences haven't matched our own on Anthem, but our August 2024 UK Anthem sailing is almost sold out even with extremely high prices compared to 2022 and 2023.

I'm not personally seeing Royal UK panic stations.

selling cabins isn’t the issue. People don’t know what it’s like until they book and school holidays are an exception. Royal cannot make profit on school holidays alone. 

I cannot imagine being on that boat in august. It must be a nightmare experience with 1500 kids running amok. The staff told me what it was like during half term the week before my sailing and they said it was chaos. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think I need to point out to a few people on here that anthem is the 3rd worst rated experience in the entire fleet of ships rated by both sides of the Atlantic. 

so the port it leaves from or the people on board seem to matter very little as it’s consistently getting bad scores. 

Some people are just happy living in ignorance though and quite honestly don’t know what good looks like. There are also plenty of people who do know though and will not be happy. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Sounds like the standard markup for alcohol resale the world around. I truly don’t see a unique situation here that backs your claims that Royal is treating the Euro market

differently than any other. 

Standard mark up lol. 

I didn’t say they treat euro market any different for prices other than the rooms are way more expensive and the drinks the same price as the US. 

MSC will do 2 for one margaritas for £8 in happy hour without tips and speciality dining is £20 a head. Cocktails on P&O are £7 and so is most wine. Not 15usd which is around £12.50. 

oh and somehow they managed to do that without 32usd per day in staff tax and 18% service tax on everything you buy. 

Edited by Pandamonia
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Pandamonia said:

Standard mark up lol. 

I didn’t say they treat euro market any different for prices other than the rooms are way more expensive and the drinks the same price as the US. 

MSC will do 2 for one margaritas for £8 in happy hour without tips and speciality dining is £20 a head. Cocktails on P&O are £7 and so is most wine. Not 15usd which is around £12.50. 

oh and somehow they managed to do that without 32usd per day in staff tax and 18% service tax on everything you buy. 

Tell me you don’t understand the business model without telling me you don’t understand the business model. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, parpot said:

Very true, accurate review. We’re on Symphony in two weeks. Went on it in its first year and it was amazing. I just hope standards have not slipped on there too. 

We had a great cruise on Symphony last month. Weather wasn't brilliant, but in the Med its all about the ports. Shows were fab. Food was a bit hit and miss, our poor waiter was rushed of his feet. 

If you prebook restaurants take proof of payment. After pre-paying £60 each for Chops they mysteriously cancelled the reservation on the day (hubby's birthday) and then tried to charge us again when we got the booking reinstated. 

Even though The Diamond Lounge was pretty quiet,  we had some great conversations and met some lovely people.  Nobody was moaning about Royal Caribbean.

Edited by sgmn

3 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Seeing as the number of first time cruisers who want to take a second cruise is higher now than it was before covid, I'd say just about every passenger is happy.

Even those that have a terrible time seem to enjoy finding ways that it was terrible.

I think the issue is with royal loyalists. Cruisers who have enjoyed RCL's previous quality and standards are seeing and feeling the downgraded experience. This is where all the complaints are. People who just started to sail this year don't know any better. There's an article out there where the CEO talks about how new to Royal Caribbean are the majority of customers now - at a much higher rate than pre-covid.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Pandamonia said:

I think I need to point out to a few people on here that anthem is the 3rd worst rated experience in the entire fleet of ships rated by both sides of the Atlantic. 

In your first post you said you were told this. Now you are repeating it. Where is this ranking of cruise ships that you refer to?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, seasidemama said:

I think the issue is with royal loyalists. Cruisers who have enjoyed RCL's previous quality and standards are seeing and feeling the downgraded experience. This is where all the complaints are. People who just started to sail this year don't know any better. There's an article out there where the CEO talks about how new to Royal Caribbean are the majority of customers now - at a much higher rate than pre-covid.

I haven't noticed any downgraded experience.

• Thanks 1