Alaskan cruise - Rock opera show question

Taykee1

Hi Guys,

My husband and I are soon to be on our Alaskan cruise 25th June. I have read lots of comments of how good the Rock Opera show is.

Can anyone tell me if it is a nightly show or only on a couple of nights during the cruise. I really would like to see it and don't want to miss out. Basically wanting to know do I have to line up at the door of the theatre early to ensure we actually get in 🙂 . Would anyone who has done this cruise be able alleviate my fears, and advise how many shows there are. Starting to get very excited for my very first Princess Cruise

Thanks for any help

Rock Opera is a production show on several Princess cruises across the fleet.  It will be offered on one day with 2 shows that night. 

Night will vary depending on Entertainment Director scheduling.  Seating availability will be dependent on which ship you are sailing on.  The bigger the ship (Royal Class ship), the more difficult it will be to get a seat.  Princess Theater capacity was not increase with the building of bigger ships.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Rock Opera is a production show on several Princess cruises across the fleet.  It will be offered on one day with 2 shows that night. 

Night will vary depending on Entertainment Director scheduling.  Seating availability will be dependent on which ship you are sailing on.  The bigger the ship (Royal Class ship), the more difficult it will be to get a seat.  Princess Theater capacity was not increase with the building of bigger ships.

Thanks for the info, I will be on the Discovery

2 hours ago, Taykee1 said:

Basically wanting to know do I have to line up at the door of the theatre early to ensure we actually get in

To be honest, yes, you really do, but that's if you care about your seat choice. Some line up at least an hour early and it's really easy to see why, because the attendance is really high for the production shows and the theater capacity just doesn't really cut it.

There is more than one production show onboard and I do want to let you know that weather or technical issues can affect the entertainment schedule in the theater, so please prepare for that possibility as I don't want you to be crushed. The rest of the nights that they do not have a production show in the theater, they will usually have a guest comedian, magician, or vocalist/instrumentalist.

Edited by snoozecrooze

Our motto is to always get there early for all the production shows to get our choice seats, especially the newer shows. If your dining with friends, just excuse yourself & continue your conversations on another evening. 

You might check Journey View on the app. It is close enough to sailing that the day and times should be listed. There is an early and late show. Typically there is higher demand for the early show. Suggest you plan your meal around the timing for the show. You really have to be there around 45 to 60 mins early to obtain the seat that you wish. Bring reading materials with you. Those that have booked the premier fare have a reserved seating section. You still have to show up somewhat early. 

8 hours ago, Taykee1 said:

Hi Guys,

My husband and I are soon to be on our Alaskan cruise 25th June. I have read lots of comments of how good the Rock Opera show is.

Can anyone tell me if it is a nightly show or only on a couple of nights during the cruise. I really would like to see it and don't want to miss out. Basically wanting to know do I have to line up at the door of the theatre early to ensure we actually get in 🙂 . Would anyone who has done this cruise be able alleviate my fears, and advise how many shows there are. Starting to get very excited for my very first Princess Cruise

Thanks for any help

It will be one night, 2 shows. I recommend arriving 1/2 hour early, the theatre will likely fill up by show time. You wont usually find lines at the entrance, though. I hope you get to see it, my last 2 cruises have had  show changes/ cancellations and I had really wanted to see it again! 

1 hour ago, sirclean said:

I have found that the 730 shows have been pretty full, but the 930 shows were not as full. 

The only problem with going to the late show is that I want to attend other functions going on at that time. 

Decisions, decisions.

Are all of the production shows usually full at 7:30 or is Rock Opera particularly full because it's new?  

Currently, we have dinner reservations at 5:40, so would not realistically be able to line up at 7.

8 minutes ago, theloo said:

Are all of the production shows usually full at 7:30 or is Rock Opera particularly full because it's new?  

Currently, we have dinner reservations at 5:40, so would not realistically be able to line up at 7.

I believe it's mainly because the show is relatively new that it gets filled to capacity early. 

At 7 PM you'll probably be fine to get seats but I still wouldn't dilly dally in the DR any longer then necessary.

Also tell the waiter you want to be finished before 7 PM.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theloo said:

You can always hedge your bet by standing around until they open up the reserved Premium Beverage Package seats (House left) and beeline it for the remaining seats.  Not the best seats in the house, in my opinion.

• Like 1

In general, the early show is busier than the later show, no matter what it is.  I suspect that Princess folk are not busy late into the night, so they are getting ready for bed by 10.  (At least I am!)  So the later shows seem to be less well attended, in general.

• Like 1

We were just on the sky for 14 nights. Rock Opera was on one night only at 8:00 pm and 10:00 pm.

Both shows were packed and arriving at least 45 minutes early is advised.

• Thanks 1

Our Rock Opera happened on our first Sea Day (formal night).  During our Meet and Greet, the ED had mentioned that they would have to juggle entertainers around.  I think the lead was a tenor?  He was jumping from ship to ship.  That's why our production show was early in the cruise.  

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Our Rock Opera happened on our first Sea Day (formal night).  During our Meet and Greet, the ED had mentioned that they would have to juggle entertainers around.  I think the lead was a tenor?  He was jumping from ship to ship.  That's why our production show was early in the cruise.  

Rock Opera has a fly on, fly off guest tenor. He will do back to back shows, usually last evening of a cruise, then second night of the next, then he leaves the ship. He will have his stand alone show either the night before or after Rock Opera. (Connor, Nick, etc.)

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Rock Opera has a fly on, fly off guest tenor. He will do back to back shows, usually last evening of a cruise, then second night of the next, then he leaves the ship. He will have his stand alone show either the night before or after Rock Opera. (Connor, Nick, etc.)

Our show is on sea day 2 (of 5) and he can't really fly off until our first port day (day 7).  What is the stand-alone show called?  On the day before, we have "Vocal Instrumentalist Dan Delgado" and the day after, we have a comedian.  

1 hour ago, theloo said:

Our show is on sea day 2 (of 5) and he can't really fly off until our first port day (day 7).  What is the stand-alone show called?  On the day before, we have "Vocal Instrumentalist Dan Delgado" and the day after, we have a comedian.  

What ship are you on and what voyage?

Dan usually does the Hawaii or PC cruises, and he's a trumpet player variety act (not in Rock Opera).

The stand alone shows will have different names, based on whomever is the guest tenor (they have their own).  I believe all guest tenors have their own show, sometimes it's shown, sometimes not. For example Max, another guest tenor, had his own show, but it wasn't on during our voyage. 

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

What ship are you on and what voyage?

Dan usually does the Hawaii or PC cruises, and he's a trumpet player variety act (not in Rock Opera).

Emerald to Hawaii on July 6.

So does vocal instrumentalist mean that Dan will be the instrumentalist and someone else the vocalist?  It's been a while since I've cruised, so can't remember any entertainment from my last Princess sailing.  

23 minutes ago, theloo said:

Emerald to Hawaii on July 6.

So does vocal instrumentalist mean that Dan will be the instrumentalist and someone else the vocalist?  It's been a while since I've cruised, so can't remember any entertainment from my last Princess sailing.  

Google Dan Delgado to see what he does.  He's pretty awesome, and a crowd pleaser.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2023 at 10:34 PM, Taykee1 said:

Basically wanting to know do I have to line up at the door of the theatre early to ensure we actually get in

There is no line. The theater is pretty much always open. Just get a drink and then take it to the theater with you 30 minutes before the show. Find a seat and enjoy your drink. I always do this and read on my phone while I wait for the show to start. (I usually ask for whatever drink I'm taking to be put into a "rocks" glass so it's easy to carry.)

Edited by Thrak

16 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Google Dan Delgado to see what he does.  He's pretty awesome, and a crowd pleaser.

Sounds good.  He is doing a total of 4 shows on my sailing.  The only other vocalist will be Isaac Matthews, but his CV doesn't seem to include Rock Opera.  I guess it will be a surprise.

14 minutes ago, theloo said:

Sounds good.  He is doing a total of 4 shows on my sailing.  The only other vocalist will be Isaac Matthews, but his CV doesn't seem to include Rock Opera.  I guess it will be a surprise.

He has two unique shows (each one is shown twice, early and late show).

Issac is the guest tenor for Rock Opera on Emerald Princess. 

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Thanks 1