Coffee on board

"Tell me you don't know a lot about cruising without saying you don't know a lot about cruising."

We are on the Jewel, leaving Vancouver on Sept. 4. For the first time we have a room with a balcony, and I have this romanticized image of sitting outside while sipping coffee.  So how do you do that?  (I am not talking about Starbucks or any additional charge for a coffee package. Just the normal coffee that is served)  If I go to the buffet before breakfast just to bring coffee back to our room, do I have to "badge in" and does that count as my meal?!?  Are there places on the ship where you have access to coffee that you can take with you?  Thanks.

You go to the buffet as many times and as long as you like, no checking in. with the exception of the speciality restaurants you can return to the complimentary as often as you like but you do give a room number or swipe card in the MDR
You can ask your room steward for a coffee machine or go collect coffee from the buffet. You can even have room service for a fee.

• Like 1

If I'm in a balcony I don't go anywhere to get a cup of coffee to enjoy on my balcony, I make it! There should be a coffee maker somewhere in your cabin with free coffee ingredients, coffee, sugar, cream. If it's not visible, check out the top shelf in your closet or 1 of the other storage areas and enjoy. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, All-ready2cruise said:

If I'm in a balcony I don't go anywhere to get a cup of coffee to enjoy on my balcony, I make it! There should be a coffee maker somewhere in your cabin with free coffee ingredients, coffee, sugar, cream. If it's not visible, check out the top shelf in your closet or 1 of the other storage areas and enjoy. 

You need to ask for them now.

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Not anymore.... 😉 As Ziggyuk said, you need to ask for it now.

image.thumb.jpeg.517af9635ca7484f4b1872baf03fb137.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, just ask your room steward and they will provide it for you!

We tipped our room steward Juan as soon as we met him and our coffee maker was delivered in about 20 minutes! And he made sure we never ran out of coffee or creamer!

Drinking coffee in the morning on your balcony is soooooo nice!

I also bring little breakfast cookies from home so we can have our morning routine even on vacation! 

Yes I know I can go to the buffet and grab cookies but that means getting dressed and we like our first cup of coffee on the balcony in our jammies!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Steve in Omaha said:

"Tell me you don't know a lot about cruising without saying you don't know a lot about cruising."

We are on the Jewel, leaving Vancouver on Sept. 4. For the first time we have a room with a balcony, and I have this romanticized image of sitting outside while sipping coffee.  So how do you do that?  (I am not talking about Starbucks or any additional charge for a coffee package. Just the normal coffee that is served)  If I go to the buffet before breakfast just to bring coffee back to our room, do I have to "badge in" and does that count as my meal?!?  Are there places on the ship where you have access to coffee that you can take with you?  Thanks.

We were in a Haven cabin last March on Breakaway with one of those Nespresso machines that I dislike.  Several times a day, I would go to the buffet and fetch coffee.  Really easy  to do.  Suggest  you take a couple of coffee mugs with lids. You should only use their cups to refill your mugs but having the larger mugs with lids make the trip back to the cabin easier. There is no charge, no 'badging in', and you can get a couple of pastries or cookies to take with you.  

We never badged in anywhere on the Getaway except for specialty dining, or for drinks in O'Sheehans. Didn't know we could get coffee makers, or I would have taken advantage of that.

Going to bring coffee pods for the Nespresso machine on the Viva in March. Unfortunately, they don't make my favorite coffee for the Nespresso, and I'm not allowed to bring my Keurig machine. But we're in the Haven, so there's always room service.....

43 minutes ago, frayedend said:

If we request a coffee machine is it a Nespresso machine or a standard type.  I'd love it if they had Nespresso.  I saw that in the haven rooms but not sure elsewhere.

It will not be a Nespresso. It will be a Hamilton Beach single serve. For us, it is easier to go to the buffet and grab a couple of cups. 
IMG_6454.png.00b0f168b44b53d5464c8c110450ee73.png

• Like 2

19 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

We were in a Haven cabin last March on Breakaway with one of those Nespresso machines that I dislike.  Several times a day, I would go to the buffet and fetch coffee.  Really easy  to do.  Suggest  you take a couple of coffee mugs with lids. You should only use their cups to refill your mugs but having the larger mugs with lids make the trip back to the cabin easier. There is no charge, no 'badging in', and you can get a couple of pastries or cookies to take with you.  

Thanks! Can you explain why you use their cups at the buffet to refill your own mugs?

4 minutes ago, Steve in Omaha said:

Thanks! Can you explain why you use their cups at the buffet to refill your own mugs?

Germs!!

You got these 5 things about germs all wrong in 2017! | The Times of India

Source: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/health-fitness/photo-stories/you-got-these-5-things-about-germs-all-wrong-in-2017/photostory/62195000.cms?from=mdr

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Steve in Omaha said:

Because the sign says not to fill your mugs directly from the dispenser.  You fill their cups, then tranfer the liquid to your mug which minimizes the chance of your mug contaminating the dispenser.  It's not fool proof but it's better than nothing.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, frayedend said:

If we request a coffee machine is it a Nespresso machine or a standard type.  I'd love it if they had Nespresso.  I saw that in the haven rooms but not sure elsewhere.

The Nespresso machines are in the Haven. I should have been more specific about that. Sorry. The 'standard' coffee maker is a drip coffee machine.

43 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Because the sign says not to fill your mugs directly from the dispenser.  You fill their cups, then tranfer the liquid to your mug which minimizes the chance of your mug contaminating the dispenser.  It's not fool proof but it's better than nothing.

Works for me. I'm ordering coffee pods for the Nespresso similar to what I use in my Keurig. Gonna miss my caramel cappuccino though (I usually mix them). Might try the caramel espresso, but I never really cared much for espresso.

16 minutes ago, omahabob said:

The Nespresso machines are in the Haven. I should have been more specific about that. Sorry. The 'standard' coffee maker is a drip coffee machine.

Works for me. I'm ordering coffee pods for the Nespresso similar to what I use in my Keurig. Gonna miss my caramel cappuccino though (I usually mix them). Might try the caramel espresso, but I never really cared much for espresso.

If you don't like espresso you could try to use the Lungo setting on the Nespresso. I do that a lot at home or in  Spanish Airbnb where Nespresso compatibles are more or less standard  if I want a trong coffee but not an espresso. (I have no idea how NCL's Nespresso compatible machines are set up, but there should be a cup size option).

There is a cup size option. I just prefer the flavor of dark coffee. Or are you saying the only difference between cappuccino and espresso is strength? I'm not a coffee connoisseur. I'm a Juan Valdez sort of coffee drinker, and I say 'large' instead of 'grande'.

There is apparently a size difference in Nespresso pods, and they aren't interchangeable, so I have to figure out what size the Haven machines use.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, omahabob said:

There is a cup size option. I just prefer the flavor of dark coffee. Or are you saying the only difference between cappuccino and espresso is strength? I'm not a coffee connoisseur. I'm a Juan Valdez sort of coffee drinker, and I say 'large' instead of 'grande'.

Basically an espresso and a lungo use the same amount of coffe powder (approx 5-7 gram), but a lungo water it out a little bit more. 5 g coffee in lungo size cup would still be pretty strong!

Dark or light is a matter of roast and should not be controlled with water amount. 

For a Capuccino you add steamed milk to espresso. 
(For European drip coffee we typically use 7 gram coffee/cup, same as USA. The difference is that European size "cup" is 125 ml and US cup is 225-250 ml. So we typically drink our coffe twice as strong as USA.)

Edited by Asawi
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, omahabob said:

The 'standard' coffee maker is a drip coffee machine.

Yes, the Hamilton Beach machine. I bring Senseo extra strong pods with me (Amazon etc) which are great. I find that coffee far more authentic than Neshitpresso hah!

Edited by podgeandrodge

7 minutes ago, Asawi said:

Basically an espresso and a lungo use the same amount of coffe powder (approx 5-7 gram), but a lungo water it out a little bit more. 5 g coffee in lungo size cup would still be pretty strong!

Dark or light is a matter of roast and should not be controlled with water amount. 

For a Capuccino you add steamed milk to espresso. 
(For European drip coffee we typically use 7 gram coffee/cup, same as USA. The difference is that European size "cup" is 125 ml and US cup is 225-250 ml. So we typically drink our coffe twice as strong as USA.)

Love this explanation and the exact grams.  I loved the coffee I had in France and Germany but haven't tried to replicate it yet.  The measurements will help.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I don't like strong coffee.  That's why I wish I could exchange the Nespresso for my Keurig.

I like strong coffee. Or rather, I hate weak coffee...

But I don't think Nespresso is ideal for "regular coffee". So not a great choice for the cabins! Keurig, Tassimo, Senseo, Dolce Gusto... All of them would be better for that.