Should i do sushi making?

Seems to be a hit or a miss on be allowed to take out to go containers on what you can't eat. Seems weird that all ships wouldn't allow you to take it with you rather then throw it away.

This thread got me hungry think I'm going to go book it on our next cruise.

Thanks

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Seems to be a hit or a miss on be allowed to take out to go containers on what you can't eat. Seems weird that all ships wouldn't allow you to take it with you rather then throw it away.

This thread got me hungry think I'm going to go book it on our next cruise.

Thanks

I know on NCL you can’t take sushi out of the restaurant, food safety concerns.

1 hour ago, The Fun Researcher said:

By the time you are done with class, it is right around lunchtime, so it makes sense just to stay and eat it.

Yes, Time I just got on Jewel was 10am.

• Like 1

From the before picture, it looks like all ingredients were pre-cut. I've been working on sushi making skills at home. For me, the hardest part is knife skills, especially getting nice slices of fish for nigiri. Did the class include any of that?

32 minutes ago, new_cruiser said:

From the before picture, it looks like all ingredients were pre-cut. I've been working on sushi making skills at home. For me, the hardest part is knife skills, especially getting nice slices of fish for nigiri. Did the class include any of that?

No, you are correct. It is all prepared and ready to make sushi rolls without having to use a knife.

Yes, absolutely especially if you're an avid cook. My wife who loves to cook did the sushi class a few years back on Anthem and really enjoyed it, she took her new skills back home and rolled some sushi for dinner a few times. 

Jonathan

• Like 1

What would you do with the leftover food if you could take it with you?  No refrigerators in most cabins and fish will smell!  I guess you could share with others who didn't go to class.  I'm fine if my daughter can't take leftovers with her.  I wouldn't eat it and I don't want it in the room. 🍣

They probably don't let you take it with you for safety concerns.

Edited by moposh

3 hours ago, mikefromny said:

I can't speak to the sushi making, but if you've done it and are looking for something close but different we did the sushi-saki lunch on Oasis earlier this month and really enjoyed it.

Any pictures on what is served on that lunch........Is everything picked for you as to what you are served or is there a menu?

Our cruise Saki-Lunch is $39.99, regular Izumi Dinner is $34.99..............Sushi class is also $34.99

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Any pictures on what is served on that lunch........Is everything picked for you as to what you are served or is there a menu?

Our cruise Saki-Lunch is $39.99, regular Izumi Dinner is $34.99..............Sushi class is also $34.99

PXL_20230615_151302855.thumb.jpg.e1306a11170828626bbfec4fd1a05642.jpg

Served with YELLOWTAIL JALAPEÑO CARPACCIO* - Yellowtail carpaccio thinly sliced with sea salt, truffle oil, yuzu citrus and house ponzu with jalapeño on top (I don't know why they didn't just say sashimi). Sorry, ate it before I could take a picture.PXL_20230615_151756674.thumb.jpg.b88497da7ff63cb0d463a1695f155055.jpg

CRISPY SHRIMP & FUTOMAKI - Crispy spicy shrimp with spicy aïoli and avocado, topped with tenkasu bits and sushi sauce, along with futomaki, wakame salad and cream cheese that is flash fried and topped with aïoli sauces and ginger dressing with chili thread. Was served with a REALLY good saki cocktail (She's a Geisha)

PXL_20230615_152729447.thumb.jpg.fee5a868fb05a7d514dbb2f7e8d9a7bf.jpg

CHAMPAGNE LOBSTER & CREAMY LOBSTER TEMPURA - Champagne lobster (blanched cold lobster), avocado and daikon sprouts wrapped with soy paper and a creamy lobster tempura roll—salmon and hamachi asparagus, topped with lobster tempura in truffle oil and spicy aïoli. Served with MIO SPARKLING SAKE.

PXL_20230615_153950496.thumb.jpg.1da68de06f11facfe1f9fb1dcd4707a8.jpg

TEPPAN BEEF FRIED RICE - Vegetable and egg fried rice with garlic-butter-soy filet mignon. The menu says it was served with KIKUSUI PERFECT SNOW SAKE, but I think it was served with the Tyku coconut saki (REALLY good).PXL_20230615_154112713.thumb.jpg.8772e09261cbb566cf0cdd65346601ee.jpg

And, for dessert,

PXL_20230615_155950140.thumb.jpg.5a77da440131c33056b1d2f95a3c192d.jpg

MOCHI ICE CREAM - Assorted mochi of mango, strawberry and green tea with strawberry coulis

All of the food was very good and the saki's were even better. They also would just leave the bottle on the table for you to pour as much as you'd like. We would definitely do it again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I signed up solo (my husband does NOT like sushi LOL.  If you like sushi, take the class!  You can always keep an eye out if the price of the class goes down - I don't remember what I paid (it was on one of the Oasis ships two years ago).  I don't think it was $50, but it could have been.