2-3 Night River Cruises in France or Germany

Debate

We are planning a trip to France and Germany next Summer - specifically to tour Paris and Munich but want to explore the region a bit as well. Are there companies that run short river cruises from these areas?  Our 16 year old will be with us so must allow teens.  I appreciate any advice or thoughts.  

Usually short cruises are only done during the Advent season. During summer the ships are usually busy with 7 night cruises. But there might be some shorter ones but only with German based cruise lines.

All US/CA/UK cruise lines don´t do any shorter cruises as the people usually have to fly over and want a 7 night or longer.

steamboats

Avalon has a couple, but for summer time, they only run Austria to Hungary. They will have no problem with your daughter, however you will have to book 2 cabins. You may get the  single supplement waived if you find the right booking.

You may find something searching for the French barge cruises.

Edited by Daisi

Very, very difficult. Like on the Rhine (suggested above) you can do day trips on the Danube: https://ddsg-blue-danube.at/?lang=en

or this way:

https://www.donauschifffahrt.eu/en/kurzurlaub/

Could not find anything shorter than four nights (SE-Manon in June 2024 and A-Rosa on the Seine).

notamermaid

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Daisi said:

Avalon has a couple, but for summer time, they only run Austria to Hungary. They will have no problem with your daughter, however you will have to book 2 cabins. You may get the  single supplement waived if you find the right booking.

You may find something searching for the French barge cruises.

Ya I know ama does something similar but it’s still 5 days Vienna to Budapest. 

BTW your 16 yo is no problem at all. My DD was on her first European river cruise at the age of 5 y. The main problem is to find a river cruise ship with accomodations for 3. Otherwise you need to book 2 cabins.

steamboats

Notamermaid-  The Donaushiffart link may be perfect for the OP.

They have a variety of options where you can cruise from Passua to Linz or Vienna, stay overnight, return by bike or train...I noticed them when we were in Passua and went down a rabbit hole.  There are a few sailing options that don't show up in American web searches unless you are very specific in your query.  So very good of you locals to help out.  I always see ships on the river I've never heard of.  Thanks.

• Like 1