When is a sale not a sale? When it's an MSC sale!

Stockjock

I was close to booking a cruise when prices went up.  Then, they offered a Memorial Day sale.  Prices remained the same.  Now there's a 4th of July sale.  Prices are remaining the same.  In fact, several sailings increased in price.

I wouldn't mind paying up a bit if the "free drinks and wi-fi" were actually free, but they aren't.

Is anyone seeing any real sale prices?

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1

Nope. Not at all. Their version of sales are to adjust the OBC given. Funny part is when the OBC goes down from the previous "sale". Had a discussion this past week with the my MSC Regional Director about what I consider some marketing failures. This included the never ending "sale" to include drinks and wifi instead of being a standard "all-inclusive" rate code.. Also, as you mentioned the thought that some actual dollars off sometime might be appropriate for a "sale".

Bret

• Like 4

It's not just MSC. Royal Caribbean and Carnival are also constantly "on sale". None of the  sales mean very much. Every once in a while, there are legitimate promotions but even they do not help everyone, just specific segments of the market. Examples of promotions that help selected people are "kids sale free" promotions and reduced single supplements.

• Like 7

there is no such thing as a sale -- just keep checking and sometimes (sometimes) the price is better...  i find with MSC not point in hoping to get a deal, just pick the price you are comfortable with.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, xcell said:

there is no such thing as a sale -- just keep checking and sometimes (sometimes) the price is better...  i find with MSC not point in hoping to get a deal, just pick the price you are comfortable with.

I have seen and booked actual MSC sales.  But there last few sales haven't been actual sales.

12 hours ago, Stockjock said:

I have seen and booked actual MSC sales.  But there last few sales haven't been actual sales.

Every cruise line had sales to entice people back on to their ships. Now that they are all sailing at near capacity they are all trying to maximize profits to recoup losses from the Covid shut downs.

I booked some great solo rates (0 - 20% solo supplement) with free balcony upgrades in 2022 for sailings in 2022 &

2023. Those promotions no longer exist and solo supplements are 50 - 80%. MSC is still cheaper than other lines in most cases, but not the bargain it was just a few months ago. 

As far as the “Free Drinks & Wifi”, I’m not sure how they get away with that promotion, since it obviously isn’t free when you compare it to the cruise only pricing. They should change the wording to “Wifi & Drinks Value Package”, since it is cheaper than adding those items to the cruise only fare.

1 hour ago, JT1962 said:

I booked some great solo rates (0 - 20% solo supplement) with free balcony upgrades in 2022 for sailings in 2022 &

2023. Those promotions no longer exist and solo supplements are 50 - 80%. MSC is still cheaper than other lines in most cases, but not the bargain it was just a few months ago. 

As far as the “Free Drinks & Wifi”, I’m not sure how they get away with that promotion, since it obviously isn’t free when you compare it to the cruise only pricing. They should change the wording to “Wifi & Drinks Value Package”, since it is cheaper than adding those items to the cruise only fare.

The great solo deals with the status match from hotels drew me to MSC last year.  While Florida prices have gone up (though really just pricing closer to comparable class ships from other providers rather than the older generation), prices on the Meraviglia out of NYC can still be considered steals, especially the Bermuda cruises.  

• Thanks 1

We were lucky last year for our cruise this September. Our cruise was booked but then MSC had their Labor Day sale  - which was actually a sale! I happen to check our cruise with the sale. Found it for about  25% less, called and had a wonderful MSC representative help us as we had to cancel the original booking. Then we needed to snag our original staterooms (connecting) before they were lost. She needed to manipulate the booking so we that we would receive the Voyagers Club "5+5", OBC, and extra points.

Yes, there are actually sales - but you need to be constantly vigilant in the search. Currently playing the game for next Fall's cruise on MSC.

• Like 2

Just concluded, was a sale for all Mera sailings into next year for a free Balcony upgrade. We cancelled and rebooked (same cabins) and it turned out that we paid the O/V price. For 2 cabins - we saved about $1,000. Didn't have to search for this, it was right on their homepage. Sometimes you have scroll down.

• Thanks 1

While MSC prices have certainly gone up, Yacht Club suites still usually cost less than Retreat suites on Celebrity and far less than Haven suites on Norwegian. That makes Yacht Club suites still a very good deal, even at the current higher prices.  Moreover, for anyone willing to sail in a windowless room, Yacht Club inside rooms are a steal (when they are available).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I booked my first MSC cruise less than a month ago.  

I now see that the 4th of July sale is about 10% less.   I called MSC and was told that they don’t do a price match or adjustment. 

Is this true or is it the agent I got wrongfully telling me that?

If I do cancel and rebook I may  be ahead a few dollars after losing the deposit and wouldn’t be worth doing.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

11 minutes ago, miched said:

I now see that the 4th of July sale is about 10% less.   I called MSC and was told that they don’t do a price match or adjustment. 

If I do cancel and rebook I may  be ahead a few dollars after losing the deposit and wouldn’t be worth doing.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Is the deposit non-refundable?  Here in the USA, most bookings are refundable, other than Yacht Club and cruises that occur soon, within the final payment period.

Edited by Stockjock

25 minutes ago, miched said:

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

MSC considers repricing your one change for Fantastica experience.  However the wonderful thing about inconsistent customer service is that hanging up and calling again is a valid method since you are likely to eventually get somebody that will at least try.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mowogo said:

MSC considers repricing your one change for Fantastica experience.  However the wonderful thing about inconsistent customer service is that hanging up and calling again is a valid method since you are likely to eventually get somebody that will at least try.

That said, *if* they could cancel and rebook a Fantastica booking for no cost, they would preserve another booking change option in the future.  If they use it now, they're done.  If they're past the final payment deadline, then I agree that would be a good option.  

And I have definitely gotten different answers from different MSC reps, but I also think the less you talk to any of them, the better off you usually are.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 2

It is the same marketing tactics the entire industry uses.  Cruises fluctuate in price so often there is no point in trying to analyze anything.  If the price is acceptable for what you are getting then book it.

• Thanks 1

Drove my Bentley to the grocery and Grey Poupon went up a nickel!!!

A whole nickel, I tell you!

Newsflash, stuff went up in price: gasoline, groceries, utilities, everything including cruising.

If you can't afford or do not like the price, just do not book.

Funny what some find to complain about.

Pour another drink if you can afford it and Cheers to any cruise!

7 hours ago, Stockjock said:

Is the deposit non-refundable?  Here in the USA, most bookings are refundable, other than Yacht Club and cruises that occur soon, within the final payment period.

Thanks.  
It is in the Yacht Club.  

If I were to cancel and rebook I may end up saving $40.   But if for some reason I have to cancel I would now be out both deposits.   Not worth messing with. 

I will just have to eat and drink more to make up for it 😱🤢🤗🙄

Will have to follow pricing trends to see if it is worth booking on board too far in advance.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

13 minutes ago, NMsunset said:

Newsflash, stuff went up in price: gasoline, groceries, utilities, everything including cruising.

Do understand that the general premise of the thread isn't whether or not prices should ever go up, but rather, the constant ballyhooed "sales" that offer no price reduction whatsoever.

Edited by Stockjock

3 minutes ago, NMsunset said:

I was met a person that works at a Costco Service Desk .  She said some people would come in and want a price adjustment on the price of gas that went down 2 cents a gallon since they bought it a few days earlier.  She said that she would get tired of arguing with them and would reach into her pocket and give them the money that usually was less than 25 cents.   

I said that I wouldn’t have been that generous and would have stuck with the policy and if they insisted called for the manager.   

Those people that drive the Bentley are usually very frugal and cheap.   That is why they can afford one.  🤑

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, miched said:

I was met a person that works at a Costco Service Desk .  She said some people would come in and want a price adjustment on the price of gas that went down 2 cents a gallon since they bought it a few days earlier.  She said that she would get tired of arguing with them and would reach into her pocket and give them the money that usually was less than 25 cents.   

I said that I wouldn’t have been that generous and would have stuck with the policy and if they insisted called for the manager.   

Those people that drive the Bentley are usually very frugal and cheap.   That is why they can afford one.  🤑

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I was not a fan of my mother's ex-boyfriend.  I was a cop at the time and she said that he was terrified of me, which makes me happy, as I later discovered, years after they broke up, that he was verbally, psychologically and physically abusive towards her.

But that aside, the guy was so cheap, he would drive from San Diego to Tijuana to fill his tank with the cheaper, and lower quality, Mexican gas.  Not only was it a long drive, but a long border wait as well.

My mom (RIP) thought he was quite intelligent, but that didn't seem too bright to me.

Edited by Stockjock

So MSC present sale is funny...

I priced out my YC August 2023 -- cabin for 4

If I select the option for the Flash Sale price, I get $12.5K

If I select free Drinks/Wifi (on the same page), I get $9.8K

I love MSC website (sarcastically) -- sometimes best not to try to understand and just book the best price (but you won't know unless you monitor it)  

14 hours ago, Stockjock said:

Do understand that the general premise of the thread isn't whether or not prices should ever go up, but rather, the constant ballyhooed "sales" that offer no price reduction whatsoever.

The point is you are overanalyzing it.  Cruises are priced at brochure rates, anything off that is a 'sale'.