Which city in Australia is best to live?

33 minutes ago, ceeceeDee said:

Yep, we literally couldn't leave when Madam Premier locked us up. Living more or less on the border was especially excruciating.

"Queensland hospitals are for Queenslanders"

• Like 1

A clever comment, Mic, and a correct one from Sinbad.  My offering was meant go reflect my feelings at the time:  it saddens me sometimes when we resort to parochialism, and here I’m thinking of crises such as the recent pandemic.  It did also bring out the  best of us, fortunately.  I’ve always been content that our ACT health and (generally) education facilities welcome our near and far NSW neighbours.

Parochialism can be entertaining and fun when it involves healthy competition and sport, although we daren’t raise the topic of cricket atm😜

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mareblu said:

And don’t get me started with the Yobs in Suits

And the media too, glad to see Piers Morgan get his comeuppance from Australian cricket journalist Peter Lalor and Merv Hughes.

29 minutes ago, possum52 said:

And the media too, glad to see Piers Morgan get his comeuppance from Australian cricket journalist Peter Lalor and Merv Hughes.

Read that this afternoon, Leigh.  Couldn’t agree more.  England’s NZ Coach needs to brush up on imparting the basic rules of this wonderful game.  My father played 1st grade for Waverley, my uncle captained Tasmania and was 12th Man for Australia, and Dad’s other two brothers played  1st grade, one Melbourne, one Sydney.  The very first thing I can hear them saying, in chorus from The Beyond, is, “Do not leave your crease until the ball is dead”.  Cricket 1.01.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Read that this afternoon, Leigh.  Couldn’t agree more.  England’s NZ Coach needs to brush up on imparting the basic rules of this wonderful game.  My father played 1st grade for Waverley, my uncle captained Tasmania and was 12th Man for Australia, and Dad’s other two brothers played  1st grade, one Melbourne, one Sydney.  The very first thing I can hear them saying, in chorus from The Beyond, is, “Do not leave your crease until the ball is dead”.  Cricket 1.01.

It sure is cricket 101 Linda. Our 15 year old grandson is a keeper and we saw him stump a few senior players this past season doing similar to Bairstow. It was just good cricket by Carey, exactly what a keeper should be aware of. It has made me shake my head with the Emglish team and media coming out with spirit of the game. Bairstow has tried to do the same thing a couple of times wthout success. Methinks it is bad sportmanship. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

That same 'spirit' was also absent with the English team and Captain after Starc caught Duckett but then grounded the ball in his slide.

Yes, you are correct Mic. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

That same 'spirit' was also absent with the English team and Captain after Starc caught Duckett but then grounded the ball in his slide.

Spot on👍

• Like 2

What is this spirit of the game we talk about? Gilly is the only player I have seen in the last 40 years to always walk after nicking behind, and is almost universally applauded for his respect of conventions of the game.

Playing to the rules of the game is paying respect to the spirit of the game. Anything beyond that is just taking pity of your opponent.

By the rules of the game, the Starc catch was not out.

By the rules of the game, Bairstow was out.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, arxcards said:

What is this spirit of the game we talk about? Gilly is the only player I have seen in the last 40 years to always walk after nicking behind, and is almost universally applauded for his respect of conventions of the game.

Playing to the rules of the game is paying respect to the spirit of the game. Anything beyond that is just taking pity of your opponent.

By the rules of the game, the Starc catch was not out.

By the rules of the game, Bairstow was out.

Yep, agreed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Could we get shuffleboard replaced by ship cricket? Ball overboard is six and out.

Shuffleboard? Didn't that go long time ago? Get rid of pickleball and set up cricket nets.

Edited by lyndarra
typo

2 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Shuffleboard? Didn't that go long time ago? Get rid of pickleball and set up cricket nets.

Merge the two and call it picket, use the pickleball ball and the pom members can have sour grins all day by eating real pickles while they lose.

• Haha 1

Canberra would be a nice place to live. Good infrastructure, facilities etc. Good transport links, airport, train, buses. But I have been there 100 times and still get lost, lol.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Could we get shuffleboard replaced by ship cricket? Ball overboard is six and out.

P & O. UK play some serious cricket up top of their ships.  When on Arcadia in 2012, Sydney to Southampton, I played cricket most arvos inc a test match Pax v Crew. I damaged my foot when I got smashed by a fast bowling Indian Waiter.😢

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

P & O. UK play some serious cricket up top of their ships.  When on Arcadia in 2012, Sydney to Southampton, I played cricket most arvos inc a test match Pax v Crew. I damaged my foot when I got smashed by a fast bowling Indian Waiter.😢

We have encountered similar matches on Princess. It depends on how passionate the Indian crew is about cricket.