Luggage

After years of using my luggage, I have to get a new set.  I'm having trouble finding big enough luggage for a 10 day cruise with a 2 day pre-cruise.  Any suggestions for a checked in luggage that is big enough and will pass requirements.  Thanks!

42 minutes ago, travelfool123 said:

After years of using my luggage, I have to get a new set.  I'm having trouble finding big enough luggage for a 10 day cruise with a 2 day pre-cruise.  Any suggestions for a checked in luggage that is big enough and will pass requirements.  Thanks!

What is your destination?

Define "big enough"?

1 hour ago, travelfool123 said:

Please give us the dimensions of your current luggage.  And, what requirements are you referring to?  I don’t know of any for ships, but your airline may have weight and oversized guidelines.

1 hour ago, travelfool123 said:

The standard weight limit for checked luggage before fees are imposed is 50# (70# for some ticket classes or airline status).  Our largest checked luggage is 29".  We typically reach the standard 50# limit before the bag is full.  It provides more than enough space for a 12 day trip.  If we are going to be bouncing around with check-in bags, we use the 25" ones.   The brand we currently use is TravelPro.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, travelfool123 said:

Enough to handle enough clothes/shoes, etc. for a 10 day cruise and 2 day pre-cruise.  

What size was your old set?  25”?  29”?  Some people can pack enough for a 10 day cruise and 2 day pre-cruise in a carry-one while others would need a 29” checked bag and a carry-on for the same trip.  Do you prefer hard or soft sided luggage?  The questions are meant to better understand your requirements so people can make better recommendations for you.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, travelfool123 said:

Enough to handle enough clothes/shoes, etc. for a 10 day cruise and 2 day pre-cruise.  

I suspect you have no idea how meaningless that is. I have cruised on a 14 day B2B with a 20" carryon. I've also cruised for 10 days with a 29" AND a 20". If you choose to use a 29" suitcase, also buy a handheld luggage scale. It is very easy to exceed the weight limit with a bag that large.

And if you are such a clothes horse that you can't fit everything into one 29" suitcase, then either refine your packing  list or pay for 2 bags.

• Like 2

For us, no matter the trip we each have a 21" roller board and personal item.  On longer trips I am happy to send out laundry as well as a bit of washing up in cabin.  We make it work with limiting shoes and a capsule wardrobe.  Just finished 35 days including ocean cruise, land travel by plane and train then fabulous river cruise.  But that only works if you want it to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, travelfool123 said:

Don't get larger luggage. Pack less. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, katmu said:

What size was your old set?  25”?  29”?  Some people can pack enough for a 10 day cruise and 2 day pre-cruise in a carry-one while others would need a 29” checked bag and a carry-on for the same trip.  Do you prefer hard or soft sided luggage?  The questions are meant to better understand your requirements so people can make better recommendations for you.

7 hours ago, katmu said:

I believe it was 29". It just seems like looking at the one I got (29" seems small).  It doesn't matter if it's soft side or hard.  I had soft side for years and it worked as long as it's big enough.  Someone said "this post was meaningless".  To me it's not, or I wouldn't have posted it.  I just want to get other people's opinions.  Don't need to be smart about it.  By the time you pack day wear, night wear, shoes, etc. it gets full pretty quickly.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, travelfool123 said:

I believe it was 29". It just seems like looking at the one I got (29" seems small).  It doesn't matter if it's soft side or hard.  I had soft side for years and it worked as long as it's big enough.  Someone said "this post was meaningless".  To me it's not, or I wouldn't have posted it.  I just want to get other people's opinions.  Don't need to be smart about it.  By the time you pack day wear, night wear, shoes, etc. it gets full pretty quickly.  

If you want to stay with a 29” and stay with a name brand, you might start with a line like the TravelPro Max Lite 5 softside.  It comes in a 29” spinner that should still be fairly light for that size at around 8.5lbs.  That line also has several other roller bags, totes, and hard side bags available if you want other pieces.  It might also be good to go to a luggage store at check out some newer pieces to see what you like and don’t like. This bag should run around $200.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can you just take a second piece of luggage?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, travelfool123 said:

If there is any air travel involved, check the airline's baggage rules, 29" may be as large as you can go.

• Like 1

OP, I just want to say that I understand your desire to take what you want to take.  DH and I can pack for a month in Europe with one medium suitcase between us, but for a cruise we don't put limits on it. My only consideration now is that after I unpack, I want to be able to push the cases under the bed.  I learned that a soft-side that zips at the top, like a lid, doesn't go flat enough to do so.  With hard cases I can close or leave open.

17 hours ago, SPacificbound said:

If there is any air travel involved, check the airline's baggage rules, 29" may be as large as you can go.

No baggage handler wants to handle a 29 “ bag. Where I used to work a 26” or less bag was usually handled with some care. A 29” bag would have a higher chance of being abused. Not handled with care. 

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

No baggage handler wants to handle a 29 “ bag. Where I used to work a 26” or less bag was usually handled with some care. A 29” bag would have a higher chance of being abused. Not handled with care. 

Well, mine will be at least 29".  

• Haha 1

Well, mine will be at least 29".  

Maybe. Again check your airline. Many airlines say a maximium of 62 linear inches. So a common size like is 27" x 21" x 14" is exactly 62. 29" would have to be smaller on height or depth for airlines like American,United and Delta. 62 linear inches seems to be pretty standard for US airlines. Some airlines might allow you to go over that with an oversize fee. Also check weight allowances. Some are 50lbs and others are 75lbs. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Gwendy said:

54 night cruise, 2 nights pre cruise.  Had to fly from Australia so only 23 kg allowed.  Worked just fine.

That would be 50 pounds. OP seems be focused on one size dimension when it is weight and the linear dimension that matters.