Buffet Hygine

steveso

5 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

but these greedy passengers must go out of their way to avoid being in the buffet when I am there.

Haven't you previously said that you use the buffet at dawn whilst most other people are not there?

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

Being a veteran of nearly 40 cruises I can honestly say, that the number of buffet passengers I have seen pile too much food on their plates can be counted on not much more than one hand. I know that this is widely reported, but these greedy passengers must go out of their way to avoid being in the buffet when I am there.

I would say people just get up and go and get more if they want to. See what they are doing/eating then 😀.

I remember though on my first cruise which was on Celebrity on embarkation day. This was in 2017 and I had never experienced such vast choice in a buffet. I had small portions from about six different countries on my plate. It must have looked horrible, chops with spaghetti, a mini steak, anything! Like a kid in a candy shop!

Learnt then I wasn’t on a timer, but by the time all the different foods were on my plate it made the rest of the cruise more difficult for choice as I had attacked everything on the first day.

Pig!!

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Being a veteran of nearly 40 cruises I can honestly say, that the number of buffet passengers I have seen pile too much food on their plates can be counted on not much more than one hand. I know that this is widely reported, but these greedy passengers must go out of their way to avoid being in the buffet when I am there.

It’s one of the mysteries of cruising that people who ‘never’ go to the buffet ‘always’ see people who pile their plates high, yet people who’ve used the buffet quite a bit (like me) rarely notice people with overflowing plates. I’m a great people watcher, so I would most likely notice this happening! 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Fionboard said:

Problem is that some people believe sanitiser works, so do not wash their hands. I personally avoid the buffet but if I did I would use cutlery to load my plate instead of tongs. 

I use a napkin to hold the tongs, to avoid my hands touching the handles 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

It’s one of the mysteries of cruising that people who ‘never’ go to the buffet ‘always’ see people who pile their plates high

Have you not noticed that the design of many ships means that you cannot get from one place to another without going through the buffet, so even if you never eat there you cannot help but to pass through?

1 minute ago, 9265359 said:

Have you not noticed that the design of many ships means that you cannot get from one place to another without going through the buffet, so even if you never eat there you cannot help but to pass through?

Only if you happen to be on that deck and want to get from (for example) midships to aft.  I usually manage to traverse the ship without using the buffet as a corridor🤷‍♀️

3 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Only if you happen to be on that deck and want to get from (for example) midships to aft.

Umm, exactly. It isn't frequent, but it is frequent enough to see what is going on.

1 hour ago, Fionboard said:

Problem is that some people believe sanitiser works, so do not wash their hands. I personally avoid the buffet but if I did I would use cutlery to load my plate instead of tongs. 

That would work. Shove your fork in the bacon, next the eggs, peas next, oh they all rolled of and went in the beans.

• Haha 1

On Arcadia in May due to an outbreak of gastric arthritis staff were on hand at all entrances to ask people to wash their hands,some passengers still just walked past,any hand sanitizer not working were quickly replaced & the crew were serving the food,didn't stop some people helping themselves.

1 hour ago, 9265359 said:

Haven't you previously said that you use the buffet at dawn whilst most other people are not there?

Not me, we generally have breakfast 9:45 to 10;15 when it is at its fullest. We use the buffet less often at lunchtime, so I accept that we have less information about lunchtime habits.

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

It would be difficult to load fried eggs, baked beans, and scrambled eggs onto your plate using just your own cutlery, as well as very slow for everyone stuck behind you in the  queue.

Very true. I’ve found that the easiest and safest route (for me anyway) is just to scoop the food from the serving trays with my hands straight into my mouth.

It’s called the Les Patterson manoeuvre, and although it can attract a little more attention than you might otherwise attract, it does guarantee an easy and surprisingly unhindered journey to the table (if you still need one). And, more often than not, a totally empty table. Sometimes, even an empty buffet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

46 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Not me, we generally have breakfast 9:45 to 10;15 when it is at its fullest. We use the buffet less often at lunchtime, so I accept that we have less information about lunchtime habits.

That was me ,I tend to eat early morning and early evening and make sure we are one of the first through but still wash hands ,use their sanitiser and use serviette to handle serving utensils .

As I said before we do this in hotels that serve buffet breakfast . Just our way ,preference .

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kalos said:

That was me ,I tend to eat early morning and early evening and make sure we are one of the first through but still wash hands ,use their sanitiser and use serviette to handle serving utensils .

As I said before we do this in hotels that serve buffet breakfast . Just our way ,preference .

I do this at home in case Mrs YP hasn't washed her hands and sanitized.

• Haha 5

Plated items served from behind glass screens is the best solution but as it involves more staff the cheap cruise lines won't do it.

Ships with older passengers demographics can have more norovirus outbreaks as research shows the elderly can be less attentive about their personal hygiene. Before you flame me look it up.

Be first in the buffet in the morning, I am

If tested the serving utensils would show traces of feces.

Use the cutlery to get the items, the crew don't like it as they think you are using items that have been in your mouth.

I lasted a week on Britannia without getting the lurgy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 9265359 said:

Umm, exactly. It isn't frequent, but it is frequent enough to see what is going on.

I generally used to buffet for breakfast and lunch to control portion sizes.  It's a shame that you never saw my modest plates. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 9265359 said:

It’s one of the mysteries of cruising that people who ‘never’ go to the buffet ‘always’ see people who pile their plates high

for me its not the amount on the plates but what is left behind, if they have a nearly clean plate that is fine. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

It would be difficult to load fried eggs, baked beans, and scrambled eggs onto your plate using just your own cutlery, as well as very slow for everyone stuck behind you in the  queue.

All could be easily loaded with a spoon (and quicker)!  Not a problem anyway as I said I don't use buffet, prefer MDR.