How to survive if you fall off a Carnival cruise ship

Eli_6

15 hours ago, cxr133 said:

quick question....  if one was to fall off and it was a witnessed event.

approx how long does it take to  1. either stop the ship and turn around   2. launch a rescue/crew vehicle.

my heart broke for that teenager who jumped on a dare but he was lost immediately?

14 hours ago, rolloman said:

Yeah, lost immediately, once you fall off a ship, you and the ship separate quickly due to current. It takes a today's cruise ship 10 nautical miles to do a complete turnaround.

That's why the crew will throw flares/smokers and other markers overboard as soon as they can - those objects will float in the current the same as a body (generally).  If the ship can slow reasonably quickly, it might be easier/faster to launch a lifeboat than try to turn the ship around.  Then the ship can turn around using the azipods, maybe.

20 hours ago, cxr133 said:

quick question....  if one was to fall off and it was a witnessed event.

approx how long does it take to  1. either stop the ship and turn around   2. launch a rescue/crew vehicle.

my heart broke for that teenager who jumped on a dare but he was lost immediately?

The teenager that jumped was not on a cruise ship...it was a pirate ship in the Bahamas...like an excursion ship..

1 minute ago, Eli_6 said:

You know,  if you see a post you disagree with or think is pointless, you can just keep scrolling...

Yes, there is no requirement you read every thread. If it is not of interest to you, or you think it is a stupid topic, just scroll on by.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, rolloman said:

Yeah, lost immediately, once you fall off a ship, you and the ship separate quickly due to current. It takes a today's cruise ship 10 nautical miles to do a complete turnaround.

The bigger problem is the impact with the water from what will be anywhere from 20 to 170 feet above - and presumably while not using good diving form.

• Like 2

On 6/29/2023 at 6:22 PM, cxr133 said:

As stated, it would take about 6-8 miles to slow the ship enough to make a tight turn around.  Going any faster than 6-8 knots will cause the ship to heel over to the point where dishes will fly, and passengers will skid across the deck.  You cannot launch a  lifeboat or rescue boat at any speed above about 2 knots ( for a lesson in this, there is an episode of "Whale Wars" where the inexperienced crew tried to launch a RIB boat while the ship was moving, and it ended up spilling the boat crew into the Antarctic sea).

9 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

That's why the crew will throw flares/smokers and other markers overboard as soon as they can - those objects will float in the current the same as a body (generally).  If the ship can slow reasonably quickly, it might be easier/faster to launch a lifeboat than try to turn the ship around.  Then the ship can turn around using the azipods, maybe.

Even better than flares and smoke floats (though those raise visibility), is the ability to mark the ship's exact position at the time the overboard is reported, and then the ship can return to that exact spot and start the search from there.  This is done on the ship's electronic chart system, it has a special button just for this.

Again, you have to be virtually stopped to launch either a lifeboat or rescue boat, and you also need to be heading in the right direction to protect the boat being launched from wind and waves.  So, at that point, the azipods would turn the vessel in place (after launching the boat), but whether a ship has azipods or rudders, trying to make a turn of more than 1-2* of heading while at full speed will result in damage to the ship and injuries to the passengers from "turn induced heel".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Yes, there is no requirement you read every thread. If it is not of interest to you, or you think it is a stupid topic, just scroll on by.

It's not specific to carnival, so it doesn't belong here

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, FastShip24 said:

It's not specific to carnival, so it doesn't belong here

No one forced you to read it, or to post any response.

Also, that is up to the mods to determine if it should be moved to a different forum.

• Like 2

No offence to the OP but I don’t understand how this topic can even be a thread. I would think that the majority of cruise passengers would have the common sense to not just “fall off”. The Darwin Awards exist for a reason.

Edited by RD64

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Even better than flares and smoke floats (though those raise visibility), is the ability to mark the ship's exact position at the time the overboard is reported, and then the ship can return to that exact spot and start the search from there.  This is done on the ship's electronic chart system, it has a special button just for this.

Again, you have to be virtually stopped to launch either a lifeboat or rescue boat, and you also need to be heading in the right direction to protect the boat being launched from wind and waves.  So, at that point, the azipods would turn the vessel in place (after launching the boat), but whether a ship has azipods or rudders, trying to make a turn of more than 1-2* of heading while at full speed will result in damage to the ship and injuries to the passengers from "turn induced heel".

As you know, typically, a call will go out to trailing ships in the vicinity to begin a search. There are a few documented cases where a trailing cruise ship launched a successful recovery. 

• Like 1

As an aside, I posted this half-way tongue-in-cheek but also because I did think it made some good points...especially the one about using trash as a signaling method.  My family and I occasionally do off-shore fishing and a boat capsizing or other issues while not common also isn't unheard of. My grandfather was a professional fisherman/shrimper in the gulf...even built his own boat in his back yard. So, I was honestly just trying to be helpful in the 0.00000000001 percent chance someone ever found themselves floating in the gulf or any other body of water. I know that I have also heard of divers left by excursion crews before...although, again, this is rare. I didn't expect so many people to get so worked up over a post. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

As an aside, I posted this half-way tongue-in-cheek but also because I did think it made some good points...especially the one about using trash as a signaling method.  My family and I occasionally do off-shore fishing and a boat capsizing or other issues while not common also isn't unheard of. My grandfather was a professional fisherman/shrimper in the gulf...even built his own boat in his back yard. So, I was honestly just trying to be helpful in the 0.00000000001 percent chance someone ever found themselves floating in the gulf or any other body of water. I know that I have also heard of divers left by excursion crews before...although, again, this is rare. I didn't expect so many people to get so worked up over a post. 

giphy.gif

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Eli_6 said:

Because the post wasn't funny nor of any use. Now it's tongue in cheek after the backlash

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, FastShip24 said:

Because the post wasn't funny nor of any use. Now it's tongue in cheek after the backlash

The backlash seems to be coming only from you.

Do you see the three dots in the upper right corner next to the post number? You can report the post if you wish. Make your point to the mods and see if they either move it or delete the thread.

But that is their call, not yours.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

The backlash seems to be coming only from you.

Do you see the three dots in the upper right corner next to the post number? You can report the post if you wish. Make your point to the mods and see if they either move it or delete the thread.

But that is their call, not yours.

Hahaha enjoy your day.  There is a location for general information.   

Edited by FastShip24