Gratuities Increasing

CHEZMARYLOU

2 hours ago, publicpersona said:

A practical on-topic question for the thread:

When making a booking, adding pre-paid gratuities is an option before reaching the payment page. It also says "You can always add this later" or something to that affect.

But how? Yes, I want to go ahead and add the pre-paid gratuities but only partially so I will get the rates that were in effect when I booked. Actually, we ended up with much more OBC than expected and I want to go ahead and pay for things now because I can.

I don't see any option in Cruise Planner for adding pre-paid gratuities, even in Gifts and more .. or whatever.

You can always call in to pre pay the gratuities 

20 hours ago, Travel-and-See said:

I'm hoping that Virgin can help change the structure - if they continue to take customers away from other lines then the other lines will be forced to adapt and include gratuities, internet, etc. 

On my recent Celebrity cruise, I was happy that my OBC covered the gratuity and left me with some to spare. 

Virgin isn't taking market share from anyone

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Travel-and-See said:

I'm hoping that Virgin can help change the structure - if they continue to take customers away from other lines then the other lines will be forced to adapt and include gratuities, internet, etc. 

On my recent Celebrity cruise, I was happy that my OBC covered the gratuity and left me with some to spare. 

With 2 ships and very limited itineraries Virgin are hardly a threat to anyone.

I agree tips should be part of the basic cost along with port fees and taxes.

However WiFi, drinks or both are not "essential" elements and should remain optional.

1 minute ago, the penguins said:

With 2 ships and very limited itineraries Virgin are hardly a threat to anyone.

I agree tips should be part of the basic cost along with port fees and taxes.

However WiFi, drinks or both are not "essential" elements and should remain optional.

3 ships.

I would definitely include WiFi in the essentials and while I don't think all drinks should be included, I do think drinks should be affordable.  An iced latte on Virgin = $4, I just paid $8.25 for the same thing on Celebrity after the mandatory tip. 

• Like 1

I received this letter

July 4, 2023

Dear guest,

We can't wait to welcome you aboard your next voyage on Celebrity Cruises!

As you prepare to set sail, we want to notify you of an update on our daily tip charges*. Daily gratuity is a service charge shared by dining, bar and culinary service staff, room attendants and other service teams.

Starting July 11, 2023, the automatic daily tip charge will increase slightly per person per day. For standard rooms the charge changes from $17.50 to $18.00, for Concierge and AquaClass rooms from $18.00 to $18.50, and for suites from $21.00 to $23.00 per guest per day.

If you would like to prepay your daily gratuities at the current (lower) rate before sailing, we are pleased to provide you with this opportunity. If you prefer to pay on board, our gratuity charge will be applied to your onboard account at the new rate effective July 11, 2023.

For your information, other standard tipping policies remain unchanged, including: the automatically added 18% tip for spa and salon services and the 20% tip for specialty restaurants, room service, beverages* and minibar items. If you incur any of these tips, you will see them reflected as itemized charges on your receipt at the time of the transaction.

To prepay your tips before you sail at the current rate, go to https://www.celebritycruises.com/account , log into your account, select “Reservations Details” and add tips.

We look forward to offering you an amazing cruise experience; We can't wait to have a #JourneyWonderFULL with you on your next Celebrity Cruises vacation!

Sincerely,

Celebrity Cruises

*Excludes guests in all rooms reserved ( i ) with the All Included rate; or (ii) in The Retreat or AquaClass categories beginning July 14, 2022. Room service and restaurant gratuities, 20% beverage package, are included in the rate for all guests on an excluded reservation.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Travel-and-See said:

3 ships.

I would definitely include WiFi in the essentials and while I don't think all drinks should be included, I do think drinks should be affordable.  An iced latte on Virgin = $4, I just paid $8.25 for the same thing on Celebrity after the mandatory tip. 

Sorry for the error in the size of the Virgin Fleet.

I appreciate that you would like WiFi included but for many (including ourselves) it is not an essential.

Free/reduced cost WiFi is one of the perks offered within the Captain's Club and therefore including it in the cruise cost reduces the value of that perk.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, the penguins said:

I appreciate that you would like WiFi included but for many (including ourselves) it is not an essential.

I appreciate that WiFi is not essential to you but for many (including myself) it is.  🙂  

I enjoyed my recent cruise on Celebrity, but definitely want to give more of my business to Virgin since they seem to care and value what matters to me. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Travel-and-See said:

I appreciate that WiFi is not essential to you but for many (including myself) it is.  🙂  

I enjoyed my recent cruise on Celebrity, but definitely want to give more of my business to Virgin since they seem to care and value what matters to me. 

Enjoy Virgin until they become established and follow the suit of all other cruise lines, they are still trying to attract cruises and I guess for now will take a loss to gain a good reputation.

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

from that article "This year, the company says it has seen "exponential growth in bookings, including industry leading re-bookings, from customers".

8 minutes ago, Travel-and-See said:

from that article "This year, the company says it has seen "exponential growth in bookings, including industry leading re-bookings, from customers".

I’m sure the “exponential growth” on 2-3 ships will service the one billion dollar cash call 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, floridafolks said:

Question for those taking National Express from LHR to Southampton-  do you need to book a specific time slot? If so, how much time after arrival at LHR did you allow to get to National Express bus?  There have been so many changes to schedule at LHR that I am concerned about choosing time for National Express bus. TIA

I thought I posted this a couple of hours ago.  Guess not.  So….today I booked our National Coach from Heathrow to Southampton Coach Station.  DD took this cruise last year ( will be on board again).  She said to book T5 if you are flying in coming directly to Southampton.  We arriving on the 19th.  Flight is supposed to land around 11:50 am.  Notice I said “supposed to”.  I figured that we could be late. Getting through immigration and retrieving our luggage can also take a while.  Then, DD said that the walk to where we catch the bus is rather long.  Walking is not something I do exceptionally well, so we are taking a 16:15 coach.

We would love to have dinner the night before we cruise.  Just point us in the right direction.

Maybe a dumb question, but different cruise lines do it differently.....

We have about $325 OBC on an upcoming Celebrity cruise. All but $75 of that OBC is non-refundable. Please someone confirm we can use that OBC for our Celebrity cruise gratuities.😳

Doug

3 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

We have about $325 OBC on an upcoming Celebrity cruise. All but $75 of that OBC is non-refundable. Please someone confirm we can use that OBC for our Celebrity cruise gratuities.😳

Doug

Yes, I was just on the Millenium in June, I had $200 OBC and daily gratuities came out of OBC. I was pleasantly surprised because I wasn't expecting that. 

8 minutes ago, Travel-and-See said:

Yes, I was just on the Millenium in June, I had $200 OBC and daily gratuities came out of OBC. I was pleasantly surprised because I wasn't expecting that. 

Thanks for that information,

Heck, I'd ALWAYS expect that my OBC could be used for gratuities. I don't recall ever having to pay grats unless I had no OBC for that cruise.

Doug

• Like 1

On 7/3/2023 at 7:42 PM, Ex-Airbalancer said:

You can always call in to pre pay the gratuities 

And spend 3 hours on the phone on hold.....no thank you!

And I tried to follow the link in the letter they sent and it was a useless effort trying to find out how to prepay with OBC.

Edited by Arubamoose

19 hours ago, alfiemom said:

I thought I posted this a couple of hours ago.  Guess not.  So….today I booked our National Coach from Heathrow to Southampton Coach Station.  DD took this cruise last year ( will be on board again).  She said to book T5 if you are flying in coming directly to Southampton.  We arriving on the 19th.  Flight is supposed to land around 11:50 am.  Notice I said “supposed to”.  I figured that we could be late. Getting through immigration and retrieving our luggage can also take a while.  Then, DD said that the walk to where we catch the bus is rather long.  Walking is not something I do exceptionally well, so we are taking a 16:15 coach.

We would love to have dinner the night before we cruise.  Just point us in the right direction.

Well!  That's one way to shut down this gratuity silliness.

16 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Doug

Yes you can and if you have gratuities included with AI, you can use the OBC if you want to pay extra to a particular crew member.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2023 at 3:51 PM, Wineaux007 said:

I know Royal upped their gratuities then cut the stateroom service to once a day right after that, except for Suites.  We have AI on our next three Celebrity cruises, so gratuities aren't an issue, but did Celebrity cut back on stateroom service also, to once a day for all non-suites?

Not sure if your post was addressed, but Celebrity was giving you a choice of once or twice room cleaning...you could either chose to have the room cleaned in the morning or afternoon..and in exchange, if you chose once daily, you would get a bonus of one day's sailing credits, based on the room you booked.  I apologize if your post was previously addressed.