I thought I wouldn't miss 2x a day room cleaning... I was wrong.

1 hour ago, RoyalC said:

That crosses a line and I think Royal needs to rethink this. Who wants and unkempt room coming back from shore and before getting ready for dinner? How do these exes get their jobs?

Royal isn't going to rethink a decision that is in place and accepted by most cruisers.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RoperDK said:

That's great, but did you have to be there to get the towels or would they put them in your room for you?  I'm not a big fan of needing something and then having to wait for it.  I can plan ahead for later in the day, but don't want to hang around and miss something going on around the ship. Especially since I was used to already getting those things before the cutbacks.

No,  the extra items were delivered  when we were out of the cabin.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We just got off the Explorer. I actually really liked the once a day cleaning. We had 1 adult and 1 teen in a balcony room. We are pretty tidy in general so he really just changed the towels and emptied trash. I liked the once daily because with twice a day I always felt like I had to be out of the room to stay out of the steward's way, or we would try to go back to the room and find them in there. So this time we spent more time reading on the balcony or napping on sea days which was nice.

• Like 5

On 7/21/2023 at 8:13 AM, Twolittleboys said:

It is absolutely fine to disagree with others and good for you if you are happy with once a day cleaning. But there is no need to be rude about others whose wishes and priorities may be different.

Also, if you are not looking for trivial things to be mad about - why are you ranting on here about an internet thread? Have a blessed day.

100% right on!

Also, if I want things to be "as usual", I'd stay home and save thousands of $s.  Also, I don't live in a home that is, on average, less than 200 square feet of living space.  Also, my garbage cans at home are much bigger than a gallon-size chromed or plastic bucket and I can empty them at any time I want to, how they get full is not the issue.  Also, I'm not living in such close proximity to others and don't know whatever I might have brought into the cabin with me.  Also, there isn't a good place to hang up a towel to dry after use (can't hang a towel on the balcony, by policy. Hanging on the hook in the bathroom and they are still wet the next morning, yuk).  Also, I don't want used plates, glasses, and uneaten food hanging around in my cabin or at the front door for who knows how many hours or a day (we don't do that at home).   Also, what I want and pay for on my vacation is no one's business and no one should feel intimidated to justify their desires. 

To go a little further, sheets and pillowcases need to be cleaned and replenished at least once a day, especially in newlywed's cabins, or very *@>^ active adults, and young boys.  Or if you are like me, a profuse perspirer.  I think, that means it is my opinion, that twice-a-day cabin service and towel/sheet/pillowcase <once a day, isn't just a desire, it's also a sanitary issue.  At home when we mess up towels/sheets/pillowcases, for whatever reason, they get put into the hamper to be washed at the earliest convenience, not just put back on the towel rack or put back on the bed.  Never used again and again.  

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Ret MP said:

100% right on!

Also, if I want things to be "as usual", I'd stay home and save thousands of $s.  Also, I don't live in a home that is, on average, less than 200 square feet of living space.  Also, my garbage cans at home are much bigger than a gallon-size chromed or plastic bucket and I can empty them at any time I want to, how they get full is not the issue.  Also, I'm not living in such close proximity to others and don't know whatever I might have brought into the cabin with me.  Also, there isn't a good place to hang up a towel to dry after use (can't hang a towel on the balcony, by policy. Hanging on the hook in the bathroom and they are still wet the next morning, yuk).  Also, I don't want used plates, glasses, and uneaten food hanging around in my cabin or at the front door for who knows how many hours or a day (we don't do that at home).   Also, what I want and pay for on my vacation is no one's business and no one should feel intimidated to justify their desires. 

To go a little further, sheets and pillowcases need to be cleaned and replenished at least once a day, especially in newlywed's cabins, or very *@>^ active adults, and young boys.  Or if you are like me, a profuse perspirer.  I think, that means it is my opinion, that twice-a-day cabin service and towel/sheet/pillowcase <once a day, isn't just a desire, it's also a sanitary issue.  At home when we mess up towels/sheets/pillowcases, for whatever reason, they get put into the hamper to be washed at the earliest convenience, not just put back on the towel rack or put back on the bed.  Never used again and again.  

So it's all about being excessive at home. If you are changing sheets every day because you sweat or need a new towel after every shower, you're just excessive and you expect the same on vacation. I get it. 

• Like 3

On 7/14/2023 at 5:55 PM, Wineaux007 said:

gracefully

Key word Grace.  I put the Do not disturb sign on my door all the time because it's not necessary.  And I don't require a new towel every time I shower.  Every couple days is sufficient.  I don't mind picking up after myself, I keep a ship shape cabin without any help from the steward at all because I can't stand clutter.  It may take 45 seconds to do that if you keep it uncluttered from the beginning.  Big deal.  I lightly spread our bed in the morning cuz I can't stand rumpled bedding (that takes less than 30 seconds), have taken dishes out of my room multiple times and laid then on the cart in the hall along with damp towels, and I keep shoes and clothes in the ample storage in our cabins...period.  I am OCD and that's how we roll in our shire.  You could visit my home any time, any day without embarrassment.  It's always spotless.  I have a robot and 2 vacuums and a dust buster and Shark floor cleaner. Some days my floors get sucked twice, we live in the dusty country.   That's how my Momma taught me.  She was a clean underwear person too!  No embarrassment there.  I don't change my sheets at home but once a week on cleaning day (Saturday at my house) which is adequate so I usually tell the steward not to bother but once a cruise.  Who really changes sheets every day at home...sorry, I will never believe that one!  I have walked by cabins with the door open and the cleaning going on where it looks like a tornado was in there...people in general are slobs.  Not me.  But...to each his own, it doesn't bother me a bit that your cabin may look like the wreck of the Hesperus...what was that anyway, Longfellow poem!  Mine never will and this new policy isn't even on my radar.  I wouldn't even miss it.  Neither is Half n Half.  It's all relative, one man's Ugggg is another man's Meh!  Happy just to be on the water...always.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ret MP said:

100% right on!

Here's the problem though.  Royal Caribbean is no longer providing twice a day service (except to suites).  If that is something that is important to you, which only you can judge, for whatever reason, then either book suites, or find another line.  

As long as you (general) keep giving Royal money and put up with the cutbacks, they don't have reason to change back.  

Folks claim Royal reads on here.  OK, fine.  But the ships are sailing full.  So why would they go back to spending money they don't need to? 

9 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

if I want things to be "as usual", I'd stay home and save thousands of $s.

Wow, this would never keep me off a ship...

None of these changes will keep anyone off a ship.  

That's why they are like 1000 straws on the camels back. 

Individually people overlook them.  Just a $5 charge for this, just a $10 charge for that, just an increase to this charge, just a decrease to this service, just a removal of 3 menu items, just a shortening of hours available for included dining venues, just a mild increase in dining package costs, oh internet got slightly faster so just double the price, it's already an $8000 vacation, what's another $300 in incremental costs and value deletion by the service provider...

Anyways, I guess I don't really care if they clean 1x or 9x a day; so long as my expectations of the outcome are being met. Unfortunately, us guests pay more than ever before and have reasonable expectations/conditioning over the years of what those services include and many of us take some resentment towards services being halved yet charges increased, or seeing included dining venues scaled back significantly on choice and selection, all while services are reduced, and new fees implemented designed to just drive you to a dining package anyways. Then we have the 'Just happy to be on a ship, I don't have to cook or clean' brigade who tell everyone they should not have individual wants and needs and to just shut up, suck it up, pay up, and get whatever they feel like giving, and if it's even less by the time you ding onboard, oh well. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Also, what I want and pay for on my vacation is no one's business and no one should feel intimidated to justify their desires. 

We're all paying for the same thing and getting the same thing. 

On 7/22/2023 at 9:46 PM, RoyalC said:

That crosses a line and I think Royal needs to rethink this. Who wants and unkempt room coming back from shore and before getting ready for dinner? How do these exes get their jobs?

You do realize that most people will still have a kept room when you return from shore with once a day service?

12 hours ago, Ret MP said:

100% right on!

I don’t think sheets were changed daily before the change.

1 hour ago, LMaxwell said:

Anyways, I guess I don't really care if they clean 1x or 9x a day; so long as my expectations of the outcome are being met. Unfortunately, us guests pay more than ever before and have reasonable expectations/conditioning over the years of what those services include and many of us take some resentment towards services being halved yet charges increased, or seeing included dining venues scaled back significantly on choice and selection, all while services are reduced, and new fees implemented designed to just drive you to a dining package anyways. 

I think you need to look at the history of pleasure cruising.  You may think you're paying  more, but you're not.   With inflation, the addition of so many amusements and the size of ships and cabins, you're not paying more unless you choose to.  Cruising used to be something only really well off people could do, even on what are now mass market lines.  That has changed dramatically.  

Regardless, people can whine all they want about what they want.  If they gave every single person what they "wanted", the cost of cruising would be twice what it is.  This idea of twice a day cabin service came from the old days of elegant cruising where people changed clothes 2, 3 or 4 times a day(dressed for each meal and different activities) and no one had a mini-cooler in their cabin.  If you want that kind of service in a hotel or resort, you have to stay in a very high end one in a suite that provides a butler and pay a lot for it. 

The cost of everything has gone up and a lot of services have gone down.  Why should cruising be immune to this?   

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I don’t think sheets were changed daily before the change.

Agree. Sheets are changed at the end of a cruise, i.e., 3, 4, 7nts or every  7 nts on longer cruises.  Never changed on a daily basis.

2 minutes ago, BND said:

I think you need to look at the history of pleasure cruising.  You may think you're paying  more, but you're not.   With inflation, the addition of so many amusements and the size of ships and cabins, you're not paying more unless you choose to.  Cruising used to be something only really well off people could do, even on what are now mass market lines.  That has changed dramatically.  

Regardless, people can whine all they want about what they want.  If they gave every single person what they "wanted", the cost of cruising would be twice what it is.  This idea of twice a day cabin service came from the old days of elegant cruising where people changed clothes 2, 3 or 4 times a day(dressed for each meal and different activities) and no one had a mini-cooler in their cabin.  If you want that kind of service in a hotel or resort, you have to stay in a very high end one in a suite that provides a butler and pay a lot for it. 

The cost of everything has gone up and a lot of services have gone down.  Why should cruising be immune to this?   

I prefer the mostly inclusive model; I don't like being presented with charges constantly. I don't feel that's a better value. I never said they shouldn't increase charges. 

3 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

Unfortunately, us guests pay more than ever before and have reasonable expectations/conditioning over the years of what those services include and many of us take some resentment towards services being halved yet charges increased, or seeing included dining venues scaled back significantly on choice and selection, all while services are reduced, and new fees implemented designed to just drive you to a dining package anyways.

And again, what's wrong with saying "if things are that bad, either stop cruising or find another company"?  

No one can explain why, if you don't think you're getting a good value from a company, you keep giving them money?  

That's really what this boils down to. 

10 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

And again, what's wrong with saying "if things are that bad, either stop cruising or find another company"?  

No one can explain why, if you don't think you're getting a good value from a company, you keep giving them money?  

That's really what this boils down to. 

Everything is a balance, no company is perfect.  Choose what appeals to you; but them changing offerings after you pay is a party foul 

15 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Everything is a balance, no company is perfect.  Choose what appeals to you; but them changing offerings after you pay is a party foul 

Agreed.  And a company should be willing to refund your money if they've made a significant change to the offering.  Is cutting housekeeping a "significant" change?  

And you're right, no company is perfect.  So you're saying, even though you don't think you're getting good value for the money, other companies are "worse"?  THATS why you continue with Royal?  In which case, you're satisfied with the value for the money.  

On 7/13/2023 at 4:15 PM, Wineaux007 said:

You mean to tell me you can't figure that out why that is?  BTW, I can't remember ever staying in a hotel more than one or two days.

Do you travel overseas? We always spend 4 - 7 days in a foreign port to sightsee. Adds that much more to the cruise.

On 7/14/2023 at 2:53 PM, njkruzer said:

Btw there may also be a visa problem.  Getting employees US visas can be a problem.   I know there was during covid.

I think that’s still an excuse. They didn’t seem to have a problem before covid.

On 7/14/2023 at 3:23 PM, Wineaux007 said:

Maybe I won't, but if I do, they will certainly get an earful all the way up the chain.

Why wait to see if you decide to cruise? You can always write Michael Bayley’s office at MBayley@rccl.com and give them an earful. 

On 7/14/2023 at 6:06 PM, pilot said:

I chuckle everytime I see someone state that they don't use a clean towel, everyday, at home.

Well, if you used a clean towel to dry off a clean body, why do you need another clean one the next time?

Our Sept cruise on Oasis will be our first with the "new menus" and "new once a day state room service". I'm thinking we will be fine w the once a day service, because it never fails we come back to our room when they are there, or ours is next in line. Its awkward and inconvenient. Picking a time in the evening would work out great for us. Extra towels would be a must. And I have always wished an empty cart would be available somewhere along the hallway to dispose of dirty dishes.

In my opinion the entire dining experience has declined since our very first cruise in 2008. Selections and quality in the dining room and Windjammer are not as good. We still have had very nice meals and excellent service, and plenty of food available, but not fine dining. And I do miss seeing everyone dressed up 🙂The extra charge dining options have more than doubled in price and we only choose them for a special occasion. Food is the big one for me... I'm no foodie...but I need good food! 🙂

All of that being said...the overall cost of a cruise has not changed that much in 15 years. (not counting the deal of the century covid cruises lol). We have enjoyed all of our cruises, and so far we still find them to be of good value.

Edited by Royal Fun
  • Like 1

I wonder how many on this thread also vacation via other means?  For instance all inclusive.  I can say firsthand that cruise companies are by far not the only ones cutting back on services and moving to more revenue generating aspects.  An all inclusive that we used to frequent has made CRAZY cutbacks.  Cutting off all drink service to loungers, charging for nightly shows, housekeeping is optional unless you specifically ask for it.  The list goes on.  Compared what is happening in other venues I still feel as though cruising is a great value.  Is it what it once was?  No, but that is not exclusive to cruising.

Heck we just came back from a few days in Vegas.  You want to see cutbacks and crazy prices??  Try that on for size.  

For us (this is for us only, to each their own) moving to once a day housekeeping did not make one single bit of a difference to us.  We didn't even notice it.  Our steward asked us on day 1 and we asked for morning service.  Every morning it was like clock work.  Then again we spend incredibly little time in our room.  For others that won't be the case.  Like everything else in life you get to vote with your wallet.  If this is a bridge too far, then take your business elsewhere.  Truth is corporations will always cut where they can until they notice an impact on profits.  So in a way if you do go elsewhere you are helping those of that continue cruising (and free up a lounge chair!).  Cheers.

5 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Agreed.  And a company should be willing to refund your money if they've made a significant change to the offering.  Is cutting housekeeping a "significant" change?  

And you're right, no company is perfect.  So you're saying, even though you don't think you're getting good value for the money, other companies are "worse"?  THATS why you continue with Royal?  In which case, you're satisfied with the value for the money.  

No, that's not what I am saying. I've been on 7 different cruise lines in the past 2 years because I realized long ago that shacking up to one with loyalty was not a good play, because these companies move the goal posts and amenities so often that dedicating years and tens of thousands of dollars to perks isn't a good return. Value is relative; and one of the fundamental questions is 'Did I get what I had bargained for when handing over payment?'

If I book a family vacation for....$5000 based on the amentiies and offerings of the company and particular ship, and those offerings are reduced after I pay, that's a reduction in the value for money. These changes are designed so that no one is leaving any cruise line over a reduction in room cleaning, or a $5 room service fee, or a pizza fee, etc. They are annoying and devalue the package. I'm not a crayon writer or glue sniffer, so I understand about needing to operate profitably, but it's not my position to advocate for anything that devalues my vacation. 

Cutting service in half and overloading a worker with more rooms, while charging me more for it, is a devaluation of my package deal. Is it going to make me leave? No. The revenue departments for these cruise lines know that they are in no danger of running off any significant amount of business, and in all actuality increasing revenue as planned. 

But there's also a big giant forum I can point out the obvious and share my views about it on also. And it will change nothing. 

• Like 3

I'll not address all the responses or quotes to my post.  Why?  Most didn't get what I was saying.  AND, those are my thoughts, I did not try to tell anybody else how to think.  I did not get rude to/at ANYONE.  Also, it was important enough for me to talk/type enough about but not a deal breaker.  Royal will do what ever with or without me.

One thing that I did not say in the post is that the twice-a-day service was included in a much cheaper cruise fare.  Now it's down to once a day and the fare has gone up and up.  

Next, I'll not defend my personal hygiene habits other than to say that "excessive" is in the eyes of the beholder.  I happen to like clean.  I spent 20+ years in the Army going without clean cloth, showers, clean towels, and clean sheets for many days or even weeks at a time.  I swore that I'd never do that again as a civilian.  

Those that find fault with my post, so sad, too bad.  You are free to have your own thoughts and actions.