Antarctica cruise and clothing

Mary229

Hello,  DH wants once again to return to South America (5 times since 2016!). This time is Santiago to Buenos Aires on the Oosterdam.  My theory is that dress onboard ship is fairly casual like Alaska. I do eat in the MDR and am hoping not to bring the dressy wear.   What was your experience?  Thank you. 

Just did this cruise, but in reverse, in March. Dress was very casual in the MDR.  Think I didn’t even take a dress or skirt. Just wore dressy pants for Gala. The rest of the time I wore casual…not jeans, however. Did not see anyone dressed to the nines

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cabinluvn said:

Just did this cruise, but in reverse, in March. Dress was very casual in the MDR.  Think I didn’t even take a dress or skirt. Just wore dressy pants for Gala. The rest of the time I wore casual…not jeans, however. Did not see anyone dressed to the nines

I was also on Oosterdam in 2023 BA to Santiago, and agree that many dressed for comfort.  There was still the occasional gown or tux, but much more rare than the Mediterranean cruise I took on Eurodam the year prior. 

• Thanks 1

Several years ago (pre-covid times) we did the Buenos Aires-Santiago cruise.  A significant number of passengers were from Argentina or Chile.  The Latin American passengers were much better dressed than the English speaking (Canadians, Aussies and US).  Given the state of the their economy, I do not know if there will be many Argentines.  Nevertheless, my suggestion, try and dress up a little for the gala nights.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cabinluvn said:

Sounds good. 

7 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Hello,  DH wants once again to return to South America (5 times since 2016!). This time is Santiago to Buenos Aires on the Oosterdam.  My theory is that dress onboard ship is fairly casual like Alaska. I do eat in the MDR and am hoping not to bring the dressy wear.   What was your experience?  Thank you. 

More than a little envious - we very much wanted to do that cruise, but just couldn't make the dates work.

I'm sure it will be wonderful no matter your final wardrobe choices. 🙂

Safe travels  - enjoy your cruise!

• Thanks 1

We are excited about our SA & Antarctica cruise in 2024.  We always travel with just a carry on.  My husband insists that we take a duffel with cold weather gear.  I do think it will be challenging to pack with 90 degrees in Buenos Aires and freezing temperatures as we approach Antartica.  I want to be comfortable on our tours and able to be on deck during scenic cruising.  How do you suggest we pack with regards to the weather.

@Mary229DH always wears a collared shirt and khakis to the MDR.  On dressy nights, he wears black pants, long sleeved shirt and tie.  I wear a black skirt or pants and a variety of tops.  Never felt under dressed or out of place, even when cruising with Europeans who tend to dress up.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, 0106 said:

We are excited about our SA & Antarctica cruise in 2024.  We always travel with just a carry on.  My husband insists that we take a duffel with cold weather gear.  I do think it will be challenging to pack with 90 degrees in Buenos Aires and freezing temperatures as we approach Antartica.  I want to be comfortable on our tours and able to be on deck during scenic cruising.  How do you suggest we pack with regards to the weather.

@Mary229DH always wears a collared shirt and khakis to the MDR.  On dressy nights, he wears black pants, long sleeved shirt and tie.  I wear a black skirt or pants and a variety of tops.  Never felt under dressed or out of place, even when cruising with Europeans who tend to dress up.

We pack carry on only when doing combo land and sea but this is strictly cruising. Even though we can bring as much as we want I have learned not managing too much luggage makes life much easier.  I am bringing on one skort and t shirts for the hot weather days.  It really shouldn’t be much cooler than early season Alaska so I am hoping to keep it simple.  Not having to take formal dress sure makes packing easier. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

It really shouldn’t be much cooler than early season Alaska

I have read that the average temperature when visiting Antarctica in February is 34 degrees F and that there is often a strong wind; to me that is cold.  I want to be prepared.  I’d appreciate any replies from cruisers who have been there as to what to pack to be prepared for the weather.

3 minutes ago, 0106 said:

I have read that the average temperature when visiting Antarctica in February is 34 degrees F and that there is often a strong wind; to me that is cold.  I want to be prepared.  I’d appreciate any replies from cruisers who have been there as to what to pack to be prepared for the weather.

I have sailed to a lot of cool weather climes late season and I hike in cold places .  I like the cold.  Your best defense is some new high-tech wool blends undies or as they are called today - base layers.  You should have tops and bottoms.  The packable puff jackets are a good choice and they are graded by temperature.  Finally a good wool hat, gloves and a scarf and a rain slicker.  Make sure you get some nice wool socks, they can be either the thick ones or again the base layer wool liners.  It doesn’t take special clothes just good quality layers.  If you have the budget try silk base layers instead of wool.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

We pack carry on only when doing combo land and sea but this is strictly cruising. Even though we can bring as much as we want I have learned not managing too much luggage makes life much easier.  I am bringing on one skort and t shirts for the hot weather days.  It really shouldn’t be much cooler than early season Alaska so I am hoping to keep it simple.  Not having to take formal dress sure makes packing easier. 

Are you actually going to Antarctica? Or just around the Horn? We did the Santiago-Ushuaia-Buenos Aires cruise on the Zaandam Nov 24 - Dec 8, 2014. We checked four carry-on sized suitcases (because checking the one extra, why not check them all?), for three adults. The fourth case was for the cold-weather gear -- long johns, down vests, etc. That we never needed or wore. I did wear my thermal undershirts as tops; they were bright colors -- but not because I needed the warmth. 

I believe you do walk the decks, you would want a windproof layer, hat, maybe gloves. Just like Alaska! It did rain in Punta Arenas and Ushuaia.

It was very casual. My mom and I did take a skirt and nicer top/cardigan, each. But many didn't. These days I would probably go with shiny pants and a sparkly tank. Just one, wear every gala dinner. No heels ever these days.

Oh, yeah, and checking the bags home, my husband's was delayed. It did turn up but if it was on the way there...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Are you actually going to Antarctica? Or just around the Horn? We did the Santiago-Ushuaia-Buenos Aires cruise on the Zaandam Nov 24 - Dec 8, 2014. We checked four carry-on sized suitcases (because checking the one extra, why not check them all?), for three adults. The fourth case was for the cold-weather gear -- long johns, down vests, etc. That we never needed or wore. I did wear my thermal undershirts as tops; they were bright colors -- but not because I needed the warmth. 

I believe you do walk the decks, you would want a windproof layer, hat, maybe gloves. Just like Alaska! It did rain in Punta Arenas and Ushuaia.

It was very casual. My mom and I did take a skirt and nicer top/cardigan, each. But many didn't. These days I would probably go with shiny pants and a sparkly tank. Just one, wear every gala dinner. No heels ever these days.

Oh, yeah, and checking the bags home, my husband's was delayed. It did turn up but if it was on the way there...

Around the horn.   I agree about cold weather gear.  I walk at home in very cold temperatures, no problem and rarely even wear a coat. (People don’t know that north Texas gets very cold but we do get some very frigid air).

I am glad to hear it is Alaska casual for dining and dressy night.  I have two shift dresses that pair well with my tights so should good to go.  He can wear a “Texas suit”

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 0106 said:

A long "puffer" hooded zip up coat is handy for being out on deck, in the wind. Easy to pack and quickly put on over your normal layered clothes when the captain announces things to see on deck.  I like the ones they have at Uniqlo - maybe also resale online? Head gear, ear muffs/ear-pops, long cashmere neck scarf, and silk glove liners worked for me.

It is not as cold as expected,  because it is their summer and the 24 hour days reflect a lot of sunshine. Except when it isn't raining. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 0106 said:

In

We were on the oosterdam over Xmas.  I have a women’s arctic parka, large, available. Only wore it 4 days.   Definitely you will need wind protection and my insulated stocking cap from Walmart was wonderful.  I lost it somewhere onboard so hopefully a crew member found it and using it.  We packed a suitcase solely for cold weather gear and hauled it out only the 4 days in Antarctica.  Otherwise a windbreaker and scarf were enough the rest of the cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 7/6/2023 at 10:48 AM, Mary229 said:

What date are you going on cruise

For the cool temps - I have a suggestion - SILK UNDERWEAR (long sleeves, and legs covered - think 2 piece long underwear 😉). DD DH and I did this sailing and he came up with the idea.  It was one of his great ideas.  I found it kept me very warm, wasn’t heavy, very compact to pack   Not itchy nor thick and yet provided warmth when needed.  I still have mine as who knows?  It’s well worth the investment IMO.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Having been to both arctic and Antarctica (on land)… with great gusto I second “silk”.  Such a great insulator?   And takes virtually no space    Top And bottom!   Fleece or wool over that, with a good “wind break” layer that is also waterproof.   If you think legs may be an issue, rain pants (also take little space) will keep wind/rain from freezing the legs. Not the most fashionable, but very functional.
wind is definitely an issue there, even more so on a moving ship.   I found that I had to almost dress warmer when on the ships due to wind, than when off ship and moving about.  The good thing is that inside warmth is only a few steps away (although if there are whales, icebergs, etc, you will not want to go inside… FOMO). 
Multiple light layers are best, can use alone or in combination.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kazu said:

For the cool temps - I have a suggestion - SILK UNDERWEAR (long sleeves, and legs covered - think 2 piece long underwear 😉). DD DH and I did this sailing and he came up with the idea.  It was one of his great ideas.  I found it kept me very warm, wasn’t heavy, very compact to pack   Not itchy nor thick and yet provided warmth when needed.  I still have mine as who knows?  It’s well worth the investment IMO.

Silk underwear has been my secret stealth packing tip for years, as I like to travel Europe in the fall/winter/early spring. It takes little room, keeps you warm, protects somewhat against wind and avoids the need of packing a whole bunch of "just in case" clothes.

• Like 2

It isn't hard to pack if you think layers.  Many hiking pants come with roll ups so you can make them into  capris so you can wear them for hot/cold weather.  One or two sun protector shirts (Columbia has long sleeve ones with roll up sleeves - I wear them for casual dinners too since they are a button down shirt)  and a  sun hat and you are good to go.  Then layer the hiking pants - with long underwear for the cold.  Buy some performance tops with a high neck  - REI has some great ones - they are lightweight and warm- and are quick drying.  A fleece, and then a water proof jacket for the cold.  Hat, gloves, and you are set.  The issue is wind not so much the cold.   HAL has a great laundry service so figure this into what you pack - we did laundry every other day and it was returned by the same day or the next day.

Also just know that the ship shops sell wonderful jackets for layering - at least they did during our Alaska cruise and many bought them vs packing one.  They were waterproof with hoods and a lining so all you needed underneath was your silks, a turtle neck top and a fleece or sweater.  BTW they also had some nice fleece tops as well in case you have a lot of OBC.  

We loved Antarctica - it is hard to explain the incredible beauty of it to those who haven't been there.  We feel incredibly blessed that we got to see it.    

• Like 2

@Mary229 I'll make a note to myself when I arrive home 12-17 to let you know what the dress situation is.  We are on Oosterdam from Ft. Lauderdale Nov 15 to Santiago, then down around the horn over to Falklands then up to Buenos Aires disembarking Dec 16.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I loved my flannel lined waterproof pants and some days I used silk underwear too.  Warm scarf is essential and warmer gloves than you think you’ll need.   I took my down winter parka and was glad I did.  We spent hours outside.  No way am I watching all of that from behind a window.