Muster Drill

Britboys

Seen a post elsewhere from someone who has boarded Arcadia today saying that they are having to do a full, old-fashioned Muster Drill today - not the new scan cruise card at Muster Point on deck and then watch tv drill. Seems a very backward step...

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

I believe now we’re out of the pandemic, a ship has to undertake a traditional muster periodically. So so not every cruise.

Not disputing what the rules are but it seems a bit pointless only doing it periodically - either do it all the time or not at all.

• Like 6

Just now, david63 said:

Not disputing what the rules are but it seems a bit pointless only doing it periodically - either do it all the time or not at all.

Or even possibly on cruises where there is a significant percentage of first time cruisers?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ardennais said:

I think we all prefer the new method, but I still find it a bit worrying on my recent cruises where there have been so many first time cruisers. 

I like the Princess system where you are forced to watch the video (well have your Medallion in the vicinity of the TV whilst it is playing) before you can watch the TV.

A periodic, full muster drill is probably more about keeping the crew 'current' rather than passengers.

Safety is all about risk and ensuring that the right things happen consistently to mitigate those risks. As passengers, we are on the ship for a very small amount of time and our responses in an emergency are highly likely to be random. Crew, however, are onboard for long periods of time and, therefore, their natural responses are likely to be far more influential.

The aim will be to get the crew's muster drill actions to be part of their 'muscle memory' so that they do it without thinking. The only way to achieve this is by repeated and regular practice.

As a passemger, the post COVID changes to muster drills make more sense and I think they are great!

• Like 8

I wondered whether whatever regulatory authority oversees safety at sea might have told P&O that, now that Covid was more-or-less over, they wanted cruise lines to start doing "proper" muster drills again, rather than its being P&O's choice.

17 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

NCL brought them back but apparently have now dropped them again so assumedly not a regulatory change.

Maybe they will do them periodically too?

• Like 1

On Iona in Feb/Mar, we had our cruise cards scanned at our muster station. A couple of days later we got a note through our cabin door saying that as we had not had our cards scanned we must go to the muster station at a set date and time. We did this and a couple of days later we got the same letter. We went again and they apologised - a computer glitch! We didn’t get any more letters.

17 hours ago, Britboys said:

Seen a post elsewhere from someone who has boarded Arcadia today saying that they are having to do a full, old-fashioned Muster Drill today - not the new scan cruise card at Muster Point on deck and then watch tv drill. Seems a very backward step...

Very strange. We did the new style one on Ventura just over a week ago!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ardennais said:

I think we all prefer the new method, but I still find it a bit worrying on my recent cruises where there have been so many first time cruisers. 

Yes I agree I like the new style one but I do worry if new cruisers take much notice!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Yes I agree I like the new style one but I do worry if new cruisers take much notice!

I wonder how many of the seasoned cruisers take notice. The number of fellow cruisers we met on board the past year who almost boasted they didn’t bother watching it 

Besides, if there is an emergency I wonder how many - having watched or not - would behave in an orderly, sensible manner etc

Edited by Camberley
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, david63 said:

I like the Princess system where you are forced to watch the video (well have your Medallion in the vicinity of the TV whilst it is playing) before you can watch the TV.

Perhaps that is new on Princess.  We were on Sky Princess in Oct 22 and had sat down to watch it as we entered the cabin, then the cabin steward knocked, walked into the cabin uninvited and sat down with us saying that was not important, later deciding that it was important, but not as important as him.

We were very confused as we did not realise he was a cabin steward, in fact I asked him who he was and he told me his name loudly, I repeated my question and he repeated his reply, it was a fairly alarming moment, though he did not seem threatening in any way.  Eventually he told us he was our cabin steward and we felt more relaxed allowing him to do the speil he wanted to do - he knew we were new to Princess.  We never returned to the drill after that, the moment having been lost and we needed to get over that ordeal, but the TV worked fine.

Edited by tring

1 minute ago, tring said:

We were very confused as we did not realise he was a cabin steward, in fact I asked him who he was and he told me his name, I repeated my question and he repeated his, it was almost an alarming moment, though he did not seem threatening in any way. 

Was it Paul Ludlow in disguise, sniffing out what goes on on Princess…..?

Edited by Camberley
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

14 hours ago, david63 said:

Confirming what others have said, that this is a full crew refresher. I'm not aware that its the reintroduction of the old process. Its worth noting that P&O had already started pre-pandemic to no lifejackets required when attending.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

25 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Just boarded Britannia. Everyone had to go directly to their muster station on embarkation to be scanned. Hopefully that’s it. 

Got your ship on cruise cam . Looks like you have chosen well with the weather .

Hope you and Mrs Selbourne have a great cruise .🙂

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFsDS0L8Qdk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Clearly the ships crew are as confused about this as we are. Just had an announcement on Britannia saying that we had to go to our muster stations for the drill. Cut off half way through. A few minutes pause then a further announcement correcting the first, saying that we didn’t need to attend the muster stations 🤔😂

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Clearly the ships crew are as confused about this as we are. Just had an announcement on Britannia saying that we had to go to our muster stations for the drill. Cut off half way through. A few minutes pause then a further announcement correcting the first, saying that we didn’t need to attend the muster stations 🤔😂

Screenshot_20230707-1742254.thumb.png.a42f3ba3542b397d4602d2037c8ffcfc.png

• Haha 2