Any Opinions on Ventura please

We have a cruise booked on Aurora next September and we were thinking of inviting our children along to make it a family cruise (first time for them). However one child is now pregnant so if all goes well there will be a baby in tow which rules out Aurora. So I have been looking at alternatives and there are only 2 that I like the itineraries for, 1 on QM2 and 1 on Ventura. We really like QM2 but the Ventura itinerary is appealing and obviously cheaper.

I know that Ventura has a mixed reputation so would appreciate advice on whether we should try her.

I was very happy with my Ventura cruise recently. No problems for us, the best Epicurean I’ve been in. Love the Glasshouse not being in the Atrium.

The balcony rail was a bit tatty but that’s being picky. The staff were friendly and we had a lovely time.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dorset cruise fan said:

We have a cruise booked on Aurora next September and we were thinking of inviting our children along to make it a family cruise (first time for them). However one child is now pregnant so if all goes well there will be a baby in tow which rules out Aurora. So I have been looking at alternatives and there are only 2 that I like the itineraries for, 1 on QM2 and 1 on Ventura. We really like QM2 but the Ventura itinerary is appealing and obviously cheaper.

I know that Ventura has a mixed reputation so would appreciate advice on whether we should try her.

You obviously were happy to go on Aurora rather than a mega monster, so Ventura a grand class ship is the smallest adult ship that P&O have along with Azura. We were on Ventura end of May and we too were concerned about some of the reports we had read especially as we had not been on her since 2014. However on boarding we were pleasantly surprised with all the painting and washing of paintwork going on. Based on our experience and that of others who have recently reported from Britannia, feel that the reductions in food quality, choice and entertainment and general cutbacks since the pause is fleet wide. Although we hope that when we go on Aurora next year the smaller ships may have escaped some of this as the fares seem to be at a premium. Sorry I am drifting off topic, If like us itinerary is the major factor in choosing a cruise, then I would go for the most appealing itinerary especially if it’s not one that in churned out en mass year on year.

I hope due to the circumstances if you decide to take your grandchild P&O will look at the transfer of booking favourably.

Edited by Bill Y
  • Like 1

I like the Ventura: it might be missing some things that other ships do better, but generally I think it’s a nice ship, not a mega sized one, and despite being a bit old in places (and the awful buffet that’s so badly laid out, I suspect a toddler designed it) it’s still a really good option.

Plus I always favour destinations and price over ship.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Cloudyrain said:

I like the Ventura: it might be missing some things that other ships do better, but generally I think it’s a nice ship, not a mega sized one, and despite being a bit old in places (and the awful buffet that’s so badly laid out, I suspect a toddler designed it) it’s still a really good option.

Plus I always favour destinations and price over ship.

I think that is being offensive to toddlers!

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Minnie29 said:

So is Ventura an adult only ship? 

No, correction should have said "smallest none adult only ship" as the OP is possibly looking for a replacement for Aurora, but most people are aware its a family ship

4 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

I was very happy with my Ventura cruise recently. No problems for us, the best Epicurean I’ve been in. Love the Glasshouse not being in the Atrium.

The balcony rail was a bit tatty but that’s being picky. The staff were friendly and we had a lovely time.

Thanks for posting Sue,  I am glad that you enjoyed your cruise.  We are booked on Ventura in November and as it has been a while since our last time on her I was starting to think that maybe it was a mistake to book on the spur of the moment.  We had already said that we would enjoy ourselves regardless of the age of the ship.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Dorset cruise fan said:

I've just been looking at Ventura's deck plans as hadn't clocked that she didn't have a Crows Nest Bar which is always a favourite. Does the Metropolis Bar work in the same way as a Crows Nest ie with a view of the sea, albeit it the wake rather than forward?

Yes. Although the view from the crows nest is popular you have to ask yourself how often you will need a forward facing view rather that a rear facing one or some people even prefer to use their balcony. The only time it’s probably desirably is a long scenic sailing such as the Panama or Suez canals. Grand class ships don’t sail there, they were too wide to go through the old locks on the Panama, not sure if they can use the new ones.  But only you can decide how important a crows nest is to you.

1 minute ago, Bill Y said:

Yes. Although the view from the crows nest is popular you have to ask yourself how often you will need a forward facing view rather that a rear facing one or some people even prefer to use their balcony. The only time it’s probably desirably is a long scenic sailing such as the Panama or Suez canals. Grand class ships don’t sail there, they were too wide to go through the old locks on the Panama, not sure if they can use the new ones.  But only you can decide how important a crows nest is to you.

The cruise we are looking at is only 7 nights so only a couple of sea days. Are babies allowed in bars? Is the ship likely to be sailing full outside of school holidays?

We had avoided Ventura like the plague…clearly total snobs! We went on her last year and must say we were very impressed. The ship’s activities weren’t up to full speed post Covid but we were more than happy with the MDR. Staff in general were keen to please. Deck games were well organise and up to schedule. Shows were similar to those on other P&O ships. We certainly found her as good if not better than Azura (big plus for Ventura is the lack of a blaring sea screen.)There isn’t a Crows Nest but the (the name escapes me) bar at the stern high up had a couple of nice nooks where you got a view forward. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Minnie29 said:

How does the demographic compare on Ventura to Iona? 

Difficult to answer. I’ve been on Ventura in August when it’s full of children and young families. I’ve also been on Ventura in January, long cruise, with fewer than a dozen children but thousands of retirees! 

8 hours ago, Britboys said:

If the sailing is a full ship, you will likely find it much more crowded than QM2. I've been on sister ship Azura twice and personally felt it was really overcrowded.

Same as our experiences Andrew. 

Although we liked Ventura on the whole, it does feel a lot busier than others, especially in poor weather when everyone crams inside. 

Andy 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ardennais said:

Difficult to answer. I’ve been on Ventura in August when it’s full of children and young families. I’ve also been on Ventura in January, long cruise, with fewer than a dozen children but thousands of retirees! 

And of course, us retirees can sometimes act like children!!

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Dorset cruise fan said:

The cruise we are looking at is only 7 nights so only a couple of sea days. Are babies allowed in bars? Is the ship likely to be sailing full outside of school holidays?

Sorry can’t comment on cruising with little ones. Thirty years ago we did not think that ordinary people went on cruises. We thought we were doing well taking the family to Eurocamp caravans,  I believe the minimum age for babies with P&O is six months, and there is a night nursery but don’t known any details. Suggest that you post another thread on this forum to find out more about travelling with babies/little ones

20 hours ago, Dorset cruise fan said:

Thank you Ranchi, one of my concerns was the passenger mix and you are very reassuring. Just been you tubing the Metropolis barxand it looks like a substitute for a Crows Nest

View from the Metropolis a couple of weeks ago

IMG_8755.jpeg

• Like 4

On 7/13/2023 at 7:34 AM, AndyMichelle said:

Same as our experiences Andrew. 

Although we liked Ventura on the whole, it does feel a lot busier than others, especially in poor weather when everyone crams inside. 

Andy 

We were on Ventura in May and agree it did feel very crowded. Although it was not school holidays there were a lot of children on board. We had good weather and the outside decks and pool side was extremely busy and it was impossible to find a quiet spot to sit. Fortunately we had our own balcony so were able to sit there.
The ship was in good condition and we had 3 fantastic meals in Epicurean, however the quality of the MDR food was, in our opinion, poor.

• Like 1