cove balcony

6fan

looking at horizon for 8 day to a c and 2 dr ports. Covebalconys are available.  Any serious draw backs to a cove. We try to get an aft facing balcony. Will i be disappointed  ??  TIA

We had done over 20 cruises before we tried a cove balcony and found that we have really been missing out!  We returned home from a cove balcony on the Dream and immediately booked a cove balcony on the Horizon (same 8 day itenerary you are considering).  I just love being so close to the water.  So quiet and peaceful - we even saw dolphins.   

The only drawback for me is that a good portion of the cove balconies are under the galley (and I'm a light sleeper so that wouldn't work for me).  Our cabin was under the dining room and it was fine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 6fan said:

looking at horizon for 8 day to a c and 2 dr ports. Covebalconys are available.  Any serious draw backs to a cove. We try to get an aft facing balcony. Will i be disappointed  ??  TIA

I stayed in one and loved it and have another booked in Sept. However, I have a fear of heights so the cove balcony - so close to the water - it perfect for me.

Like @csm5986142 said, being that close to the water is pretty cool.

• Like 2

I had a cove on Vista and while I didn't think the weather was bad or the ocean rough, we woke up to salt on everything every morning, so we had to wipe down the chairs every day before we could sit down.  Not worth the hassle for me and I go back to my aft extended balconies.

We love a cove balcony.  A little more private, close to the water and extra nice when you come back from a long port day you don't need to wait on the elevator just a quick walk up a set or two of stairs to your cabin.  Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2

We love cove balconies!! Booked the next cruise today, almost booked an upper balcony, booked then came to my senses and booked 2 coves. We haven’t experienced an overly salty balcony but sometimes it gets salty. Not horrible though. 

• Like 1

The only draw back that I've experienced with a cove is that in bad weather, sometimes the spray from the ocean leaves salt residue all over the balcony which makes it very unpleasant to use until it's cleaned.

Otherwise, I think it's an amazing option and offers a really unique view, plus some private shade depending on time of day/direction traveling.

• Like 1

I have been in cove balconies the past 4 cruises and have another booked in September.

The only drawback might be that they take one morning of a 7 or 8 day sailing to wash the balcony off with fresh water.

They give you a notice the day before.

It usually takes 2-3 hours for them to work from one end of the ship to the other. 

David

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 6fan said:

We liked it because of the reasons everyone else was saying. One thing you need to be careful about is whats above you. We were towards the back (last available cove and now i know why) and located under what i think was a dishwasher or some big machine for the MDR. All night we would hear constant thuds, it was so bad that i thought a piece of the ship was broken because the banging sounded like it was coming from the outside. Our first morning i said something to guest services. To their credit they were extremely honest and told us "Im not going to lie, you have one of the worst rooms on the ship for noise". And they totally made it right even though i told them they didnt have to. Just double check what your under before you book.

• Like 3

Love the privacy and being close to the water in the Cove Balconies.  Do not like the salt spray all over everything or the fact that every one of my pics from the balconies have lifeboats blocking the sky.  We were not huge fans of the Cove Balconies and unless the price is too good to pass up, we will book the aft view balconies.  Love that wide open view of the sky and the sea from a regular balcony.

From my experience in a cove balcony (on the Horizon), be sure to look and see what's above you.  I totally forgot to do that as I was booking the last Family Harbor Suite that was available.  I realized the first night that I should've prepared myself with something to drown out of the table moving and bumping that went on in the galley above us.  I fully accepted it all, as I didn't do my proper research, so absolutely my fault.

Another thing, I missed the glass wall.  Being able to sit and drink coffee, or sip wine and stare out at the ocean was not an option for my wife.  But, like I had been telling her for years, get taller!  Your height is NOT Carnival's fault.  

Still, I'd give it another try, especially now that I know what to expect.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, 6fan said:

Any serious draw backs to a cove. 

Hi @6fan🙂

Just something to keep in mind & be prepared for. 

If warranted by weather, wind, rough seas, etc...Crew will close the Storm Door on a cove balcony & the balcony will be off limits, unusable & inaccessible for a period of time. 

This does not happen frequently, but this definitely does occur. Even though some members will say this has never happened to them, it does not mean it doesn't happen. 

The cove balcony storm doors are there for a reason & are certainly used when needed. 

Other drawbacks are:

Balcony can get wet & salty.

Further walking to venues.

Balcony can feel too enclosed for some people. 

Note what is above your cabin. Especially kitchen areas.

Balcony might be too shady for some people. 

⬇️ Cove Balcony Storm Door ⬇️

carnival-horizon-carnival-123128.jpg

bb6f247a7d6dd5f38f37a86a33da9ebc-1.jpg

🍹

Edited by ObstructedView2
  • Thanks 2

We have considered getting a cove in the future but after reading these posts about the salt issues, probably not. Also, not fond of the balcony rail type. Have had similar ones on ships in the past and didn't care for them.

We have cruises about 50/50 in cove balconies and regular ones. 

Pro's- Coves are protected from rain and intense sun.  More private as well.  They are also closer to the atrium (if you want to slip out for a quick nightcap). You also have a better chance of seeing dolphins or flying fish from them.  Finally, they are far easier to get to and from in ports, as you only have 2 flights of stairs to get to them, vs a crowded elevator for most regular balconies.

Con's- in foul weather they can be louder.  Waves against the hull, as well as the creaking of the lifeboats overhead are a bit loud in 10-15 ft seas.  Much further from lido and most of the outdoor activities, so more elevator usage during sea days.  

For me, if I anticipate better/normal weather, I'll get a cove.  But I'd probably never get one during hurricane season or itineraries where heavy seas are expected regularly.

Edited by Indytraveler83
  • Thanks 2

we just got off the Horizon Sat! great cruise but i would NEVER NEVER book a cove balcony again! we booked 2286 figuring how much noise could there be since it’s under the shore excursion desk. BOY WAS I WRONG! it was noise ALL NIGHT LONG! sounded like dragging and banging! i complained the 1night and they said they were doing work with heavy machinery. Fine, but this went on every single night and i complained every single day. I will say they were very helpful in trying to find the noise. I even called one morning at 3 AM and they came down to listen to the noise and couldn’t figure out where I was coming from. They ended up giving me $200 off my bill but i would have rather had the sleep! i literally did not sleep the whole trip! it was AWFUL! we will continue to book our cabins on the Lido. we never had noise issues!! some people love it some hate it! we hated it and will never do it again!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, matymil said:

We liked it because of the reasons everyone else was saying. One thing you need to be careful about is whats above you. We were towards the back (last available cove and now i know why) and located under what i think was a dishwasher or some big machine for the MDR. All night we would hear constant thuds, it was so bad that i thought a piece of the ship was broken because the banging sounded like it was coming from the outside. Our first morning i said something to guest services. To their credit they were extremely honest and told us "Im not going to lie, you have one of the worst rooms on the ship for noise". And they totally made it right even though i told them they didnt have to. Just double check what your under before you book.

matymil, do you remember the cabin number?

1 hour ago, Pyrate13 said:

We have considered getting a cove in the future but after reading these posts about the salt issues, probably not. Also, not fond of the balcony rail type. Have had similar ones on ships in the past and didn't care for them.

We have been in several Cove Balconies without any ‘salt’ issues. Most recently we were on the Celebration in a Cove on Deck 5 and absolutely enjoyed the location, made everything on ship easily accessible, were able to quickly orientate ourselves to the ship. Actually we enjoyed the “cove” location on the Celebration so much we booked an Oceanview on same ship, same deck, because coves were all booked. Just another aspect of the Cove Balcony.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

We have our first cove balcony booked on the Celebration in October because of all the rave reviews. It is on the port side in the middle of the ship, so no lifeboats above us, and hopefully no other issues. 

What was your cabin number? Thanks!!

On 7/12/2023 at 4:33 PM, 6fan said:

I adore cove balonies and book one whenever I can. I have forgone 2 upsell offers to move to higher balcony decks. I love the wind and occasional spray from being so close to the water. Plus it's shaded and cooler.

• Like 1