Entertainment Cutback Concerns and Real Disappointment

cusematt4

1 hour ago, UKstages said:

i love the big band sound, as well as what would be described as “crooners,”

The Swing revival was a blast, over 20 years ago now, and it was spurred by young people like myself at the time. So not at all just for "old people"  So it's time for another revival so kids can see how cool it was once again. Great tunes and fun to dance to.  The crooners, have never completely disappeared, there has been a constant string of one or two, Michael Buble having taken the torch the past few years.
I would certainly take time out of my cruise to see a jumping big band.

7 hours ago, yakcruiser said:

I don't think there are many people left of the big band generation who are still cruising.  Now an Elvis impersonator maybe? 

I live in a 55+ community, everyone still talks about the Elvis impersonator who was here over. A year ago, so yes you are spot on!

12 hours ago, Shidah said:

Agree on several fronts, Six -  not my cup of tea, Syd Normans - so good that I now only book cruises that have it.  NCL should develop similar shows to meet different demographics.  Maybe a big band era show playing the same time as Syds for older folks?  

They are(as are other cruise lines) going that way with the other entertainment.

More and more themed sets are hitting the schedules in the lounges and they seem very familiar(different ships) as if using the same song lists.

Pretty sure many of the party bands are now cast rather than existing bands.

They to have themed sets that feel very familiar. Different band same songs

On ships with show bands they get to do themed sets in lounge/Atrium.

Show cast often have non show themed sessions.

4 hours ago, UKstages said:

the big band era was long gone when I was born.

i love the big band sound, as well as what would be described as “crooners,” the era for which had also long since passed by the time i was born.

@Cruising Lynne and @UKstages I must be an old soul then, because I would rather hear big band or "crooner" music than anything from the "2000s". 

Now...you give me some Journey, Queen or Toto and I am a happy girl!

Warmest, Amy

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Our first NCL cruise was to Bermuda in 2006 on the NCL Crown. I remember there was a big band from Poland. They played at the shows and did their own concert one night, Glenn Miller tunes. We really enjoyed them (and that is despite my tastes run to 60s rock having attended the original Woodstock festival.

• Like 2

regarding the prevalence of duos and trios and quartets in the lounges, atrium and elsewhere… cover bands are extraordinarily popular in the phillipines, so many of these acts are hired outright and not cast and put together by NCL... they are existing acts.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Anyone remember "Arvin and Emily"?  They used to sing in the Atrium....I tried to attend every performance!

Yes and i also remember a band called Fire and Ice. it was on the breakaway back in the day

20 hours ago, Shidah said:

Agree on several fronts, Six -  not my cup of tea, Syd Normans - so good that I now only book cruises that have it.  NCL should develop similar shows to meet different demographics.  Maybe a big band era show playing the same time as Syds for older folks?  

I'm with you on Syd's...

17 hours ago, yakcruiser said:

I don't think there are many people left of the big band generation who are still cruising.  Now an Elvis impersonator maybe? 

LOL my 77YO DM wasn't into big band or Elvis--give her the Beatles or Lourde (NOT kidding: she drove the grandkids to school & let them pick the station)--she had a great range of musical interest!

I'd say VERY few big band generation still cruising (esp. NCL)--big band was the 30s-40s. 

My parents were BORN in the 40s. 

OK I was born in the 60s & appreciate Beatles but not my #1 music of choice (GIVE ME SYDS!)

I would say Elvis' big core is 80+ (again, always some "younger" who appreciate)...but again, not a huge part of NCL's demographic.

1 hour ago, shof515 said:

Yes and i also remember a band called Fire and Ice. it was on the breakaway back in the day

I really enjoyed Arvin and Emily and Fire and Ice. Both were really good. Arvin and Emily were more mellow and Fire and Ice was more high energy. 

While I do like the music they play in Syd's, I never go there on our cruises. It is just too crowded for me. Never go to Cavern Club either. I would rather sit in one of the more comfortable, less crowded, lounge areas. I really enjoy the piano players, duos and bands like Siglo that played all over the ship. 

Enjoyed the band that was on our Prima trip, but can't remember their name. It was something like Perfect Strangers?

On 7/13/2023 at 11:24 AM, laudergayle said:

We understand the reason for the cuts, but they are  DEEP and have started to greatly impact the NCL cruise experience.  We have one more cruise in 2023–which was booked in 2022 before the 2023 budget constraints.  Even though I continue to shop for cruises, we currently have no NCL cruises booked for 2024.  There are a couple we would like to book but likely won’t book anything until after January 2024 when another round of budgetary impacts (good or bad) are announced.  We do have a “trial” MSC cruise in August, I just wished MSC had more US departure ports and itineraries. Might have to do a look-see at Carnival Celebration and Mardi Gras.  

I too understand the need for the cuts, however I think they have been deeper than needed or even wise. ( NCL.. I hope you are listening!)  I just completed my 10th cruise... and if it had been my first I would have never had taken the next 9. The quality and quanity of the food in the MDR was greatly reduced. Our wait staff was clearly disgruntled and stressed out . I always raved about the music and entertainment on the ships..alas this was not the case.  We had a raunchy comedian, and a singer who like to kick her left leg up about every 90 seconds. NO NCL production shows! The theater was under utilized..  Our CD was the invisible woman... the activities scheduled were either trivia or spa pushes... Really People ? 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Anyone remember "Arvin and Emily"?  They used to sing in the Atrium....I tried to attend every performance!

I'm on Joy presently and they are here! 

And my cabin was ready at 3pm. 

Edited by bkrickles1
  • Like 3

On 7/22/2023 at 2:41 PM, Shidah said:

Maybe a big band era show playing the same time as Syds for older folks?  

You should check out Princess. A few years ago, they had an entire production of what could best be described as "head scratchers you don't remember from the 40s and 50s." Not like great American songbook stuff, but odd, gimmicky songs. Watching a 20something woman wailing "THREE COINS IN THE FOUN-TAIN!!!" like an Idol contestant at the climax of the show has stuck with me much longer than it should have.

On 7/23/2023 at 12:40 AM, MacGuffin3 said:

The Swing revival was a blast, over 20 years ago now, and it was spurred by young people like myself at the time. So not at all just for "old people"  So it's time for another revival so kids can see how cool it was once again. Great tunes and fun to dance to.  The crooners, have never completely disappeared, there has been a constant string of one or two, Michael Buble having taken the torch the past few years.
I would certainly take time out of my cruise to see a jumping big band.

The Gem had a licensed production of the Broadway musical Swing! until it was cut several weeks ago for (what I assume were) budgetary/licensing reasons. It was surprisingly good, especially for a show on a Jewel class ship. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, amygutman said:

@MacGuffin3 Oh Steve Perry...Not THAT is a singer!

Steve Perry | Journey steve perry, Steve perry, Perry

If  at some point there could have been a trio with Stevie Nicks, Tom Petty, and Steve Perry those 3 iconic singers together would have been light years beyond amazing. One of my favoritie Stevie songs:

Edited by Red-Sol
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, shof515 said:

I am not positive but I think Fire and Ice might still make occasional appearances on NCL ships.

Bring back the Jean Ann Ryan Productions from the "old" days, seriously ... just kidding, can't afford them & then it was NCL Productions that taking over.  

@Red-Sol - OMG, listening to that FW Mac video in my 72 Dodge Demon then ... can't held but to admit, getting old.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mking8288 said:

Bring back the Jean Ann Ryan Productions from the "old" days, seriously ... just kidding, can't afford them & then it was NCL Productions that taking over.  

@Red-Sol - OMG, listening to that FW Mac video in my 72 Dodge Demon then ... can't held but to admit, getting old.  

We may all be getting a bit older but it has been one hell of a ride enjoying the best music ever! And it all sounds new to me even today.

• Like 1