The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday July 16th, 2023

Just saw on "CBS News Sunday Morning" a report on the heat across Europe as well. The Acropolis was closed for two days to protect tourists from the heat. Teperatures reached 40 degrees Celsius (104 F).

• Like 13
  • Thanks 6

4 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Just saw on "CBS News Sunday Morning" a report on the heat across Europe as well. The Acropolis was closed for two days to protect tourists from the heat. Teperatures reached 40 degrees Celsius (104 F).

They also closed the Acropolis in the afternoon in 2019 because of the heat.

@marshhawk  The last time we were in Mykonos, besides a shuttle from the port to the town, there was also a boat that would take you from the pier into the harbor area and back.  I don't remember how much is cost, but it was reasonable, and we liked it better than the bus.

Lenda

• Like 19

8 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Land temperatures in Central Spain reached 60°C 140°f.

Italy are expecting 49°C 120°F next week.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 9

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Land temperatures in Central Spain reached 60°C 140°f.

Italy are expecting 49°C 120°F next week.

They showed a thermal image map of Spain and it was almost entirely "red."

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

@marshhawk  A comment on Pompeii - it is very large and hard to walk it all. If it were me I would tour Herculaneum which is much smaller and doable and you get the entire experience of seeing this smaller city that was totally covered by ash.   

In Greece it is a long walk up to the Acropolis  but it is wheelchair accessible as is the museum so my suggestion for this trip is to rent a wheelchair for your husband and then use it at places like this one where he can access what he wants to see.  

Sagetraveling.com is a site that is for disabled travelers in Europe it gives you load of information and tours for those who have mobility issues.   I hope this helps.  You can get information port by port.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

Growing up in Arizona, rattlesnake “awareness” was a big deal, especially when Dad removed a few that had slithered too close to our home. As a science teacher, I one time accepted the gift of a harmless, non poisonous snake for the lab. When the snake escaped, a few of the staff were definitely uncomfortable. The creature was quickly recaptured (found coiled behind a small lab refrigerator) and I happily volunteered to ‘re home’ the snake. 

Glad about found luggage, love @ger_77 first cruise picture, happy to read about lives of The Daily-ites. 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

@kazu this is not a HAL cruise.  for 25 days I will be enjoying my platinum status on Carnival.  I can pack light, and the laundry is done for me.  And I guess I can buy some clothes in Rome, or Athens if I really need to. DH was very impressed with HAL, so I told him to keep working and we can do another HAL cruise in 2026. The Island Drive is booked through Carnival.

The steps and gondola wait is what is keeping us to the lower part of the port in Santorini. I've looked at pictures, there are cafes there.  There is water there.  We will be happy.  In Ephesus I chose the least strenuous excursion offered, and will skip at all possible rug making.  I doubt if DH will be able to ge to the Acropolis, we read that it is a hefty climb, but it was the excursion that included the museum.  I try to make life as easy as possible for DH.  Lord knows he's gone through a lot the last 15 years.

My roll call has pretty much depleted itself for Carnival on Cruise Critic, and I don't play on the other web site.  Oddly enough when I do meet people I am either extremely shy, or extremely out going, but it seems that through Covid, I became much more insulated.  Not as gregarious in person as I used to be.  I have a dentist appointment in the morning, about 25 miles from home, and I get anxious about that too.  Being far from home...unless on a cruise ship.

Well off to take my neighbor out to dinner after she fed me when I was ill, and fed me on Friday night.

• Like 21

I need to go back and read this afternoon's comments and posts because it's been very busy especially with travel advice (which is a great advantage of being on Cruise Critic).  But there was a news conference and the Hampton shooter has been engaged and was shot and killed this afternoon.  It happened in a county next to Henry County, Clayton county just north of Hampton.  Two officers were shot, both are going to be fine.  The names of the victims were read and they are a husband and wife, and two other men, all between the ages of 65 and 67 years old.  All lived in the neighborhood, including the shooter.  He was driving one of the victims' SUV.  No other information at this time but all are relieved though greatly saddened since Hampton is a small town and everybody says they know everyone else in town.  Prayers for them and the families of the victims.🙏

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 19

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Annie @marshhawk the clock begins its magic at 12 noon.  Here is an article about it.  Maybe try to look at a map of Messina or Google it so you can see where it's located and can get there on time.  What time are you in Messina?

https://www.messinarte.it/the-bell-tower-of-the-cathedral-of-messina/

When you get to Santorini you will need to get up to the top of the hill to enjoy the town.  There is a cable car you can buy tickets to.  I don't recommend the donkey ride up there!

I second the idea about taking the fast boat to Oia! They bus you up to the city (which is gorgeous!), and then bus you back to Santorini. DH & I walked down the donkey path on our first visit because the gondola line was so long. I don't recommend it!!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Annie, with your DH's problems with steps, I would not recommend a tour to the top in Santorini.  None of the tours take you back down to the tender pier.  There are steep steps to and from the gondola cars, and they are wide with a lot of people; so it might be hard to get over to the wall and have the hand rail to use.  There are tours to some of the out lying islands for a beach day, either through the ship or on the island near the tender dock.  You would have to decided if your DH could handle getting in and out of the boat on the island.

The Acropolis is visible from areas below the steep hill, so it can be seen even if you can't make it up close.  Unless the area has changed since we went all the way up to the Acropolis in 2003, the ground at the top was uneven and rocky.  That is another issue to be consider.

Most big tourist cities have Ho-Hos or tourist trains.  To get the best view, you have to climb some steep, narrow stairs to get to the upper deck on the busses.  There are stops all along the routes of the Hop-on, Hop-off busses, but when the town is crowded, if you get off, it might not be possible to get back on the bus.  There are people selling tickets to the busses, plus some ships have a Ho-Ho tour.  If the ship docks away from town, the Ho-Ho might have a bus at the ship, but it could just be used as a shuttle to get to the first stop.  

My advice, would be to Google the Hop-on, Hop-off buses for each city you are interested in using them.  They will have the price, and a route map.  You can even get the tickets on line.  Sometimes there are two competing lines with slightly different routes and prices.  If you do one, remember to keep you ticket because often if you show a ticket, they will give you a discount.  We often take them the first time we're in a port to get an overview of the town, and many times don't get off and on.

Ephesus is a must do, but it can be steep and uneven in places.  We were last there in 2019, and they had added a "boardwalk" over some of the steep, uneven areas.  DH used walking sticks which helped in the uneven areas.  Most tours start at the top and work their way down, which is easier walking.  And the busses wait at the bottom for the tours.  We've always done ship tours, so I don't know if private tours start at the top or the bottom.  I think on your own, you enter at the bottom.

I hope I didn't give you information overload.

Lenda

Annie @marshhawk -- in Ephesus don't forget to visit the tents (both at the entrance & exit)  that advertise the "Genuine Fake Watches"! We bought our DS a "Rolex" that was battery powered and the thing still works!

• Like 12
  • Haha 2

Good still hot and humid evening. Feel like is 103. Today was the first time I was out of the house since Wednesday. I just can’t stand the humidity.

On a sad update on the flooding in Bucks county, the missing people were a family from South Carolina visiting relatives in the area. The car was swept away. The mother’s body has been recovered, but still missing are a 9 month old boy and his 2 year old sister. The father and another child escaped.💔🙏

• Like 5
  • Thanks 10

We were in Delos once almost 30 years ago.  Fascinating small island covered with bits of ancient ruins.  As we walked the paths we realized that they were littered with pieces of ancient orange clay aqueducts - we found this island unique as it hasn’t (or hadn’t at that time) been developed at all and there were limits as to how many folks could be on the island at a time.  Of course you are forbidden to take home anything that you find there.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

@StLouisCruisersThank you for the update on sad situation near you. But relieved that the person was found. I did check to see if Hampton was anywhere near my son's place in Newnan.

@RedneckBobAnother vote for rum raisin and add Umpqua's spumoni

Hoping this next week cools off, the rains transfer to where needed and everyone has a great week.

• Like 10

Good Monday morning to all of you.  

I did not get to post yesterday.  We are in Helsinki today and arrive at 11 am.  

Yesterday we never left the ship in Stockholm.  Torrential rains all day.  We were glad we were able to spend the day in Stockholm on the first stop.  So we stayed dry yesterday.

Today we have a busy day.  We have a wine tasting event from AMEX at 10:30 am. Kind of a strange time to drink wine!  Then we are going on a tour with another couple from our roll call at 12:30 for 5 hours.

I got up at 6 am today and have spent the last hour or so reading all the posts and catching up.  i am able to stay connected so I am happy about that.

Thank you Sandi for keeping us going while Rich is taking a break.  Thank you to Vanessa for the Cares and Celebration List and to Debbie for her delicious recipes and Dixie and Ann on the libation front.

Prayers for Baby Murphy that she holds her own and makes a speedy recovery.

@marshhawk happy planning.  Your trip sounds wonderful.  I have a question.  Why are you not using RomeCabs from the airport?  They are wonderful.  Their prices are competitive and they are right there to meet you.

We are also on a transatlantic in November.  Looking forward to it.

While I am on the subject.  I need some advice from @kazu.  Do you have a recommendation for a private tour or taxi in Funchal?  I have to start planning for this adventure.  Not many stops for us but that is one we have not ever been to. Hope Ivan is doing better.

@smitty34877 I hope Lou starts getting more strength and feels like eating.  Glad that Tana helps when she can.  I am sure it is hard for her in this type of heat.

i do not like snakes.  I do not like to look at them or anything about them.  Can you tell I was a city girl?  

Never had a Woody Wagon.  Lucky if I had money for the subway.

i love Ice Cream and my favorite is Bico Rum and Raisin.  Only found in Barbados.  Can’t wait for my February cruise when we will stop there and I can pig out on it. LOL.

Not much else to report.  We have 12 more days until we go home and I am more than ready.

I did not think I would get so tired from this cruise, but I am.  I will need a vacation after this.  At least we are not suffering from the heat that is in the lower part of Europe.

I hope everyone had a great day.  

Take care and God Bless,

Terri

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Thank you Graham. I found this sermon very relatable. Wouldn't we always want to have a good heart. Have a great day. Best wishes. Jane xx

Thank you for your kind words Jane.

Graham xx

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I need to go back and read this afternoon's comments and posts because it's been very busy especially with travel advice (which is a great advantage of being on Cruise Critic).  But there was a news conference and the Hampton shooter has been engaged and was shot and killed this afternoon.  It happened in a county next to Henry County, Clayton county just north of Hampton.  Two officers were shot, both are going to be fine.  The names of the victims were read and they are a husband and wife, and two other men, all between the ages of 65 and 67 years old.  All lived in the neighborhood, including the shooter.  He was driving one of the victims' SUV.  No other information at this time but all are relieved though greatly saddened since Hampton is a small town and everybody says they know everyone else in town.  Prayers for them and the families of the victims.🙏

I'm pleased to hear your news Sandi and happy you and Dennis are safe.

Graham.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1