The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday July 16th, 2023

I found my pictures of Busan, and I'll try scanning them in a few minutes.  The problem now days with actual printed pictures is you rarely drag the photo albums out and look at them.  If and when I get some of my other time consuming projects finished, I might start scanning the photos into the computer.  In that case, "might" is the operative word.

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

I would have been out of that boat in a heartbeat!!!!!

Gerry, while that snake was big, it was pretty slow moving and not really interested in us.  Also, the guy never let go of the snake.  BTW, I loved the picture of your first cruise.

1 hour ago, RMLincoln said:

Another sticky day in MD but there was rain overnight, maybe more today so not as hot. I’ll call my sister in Vermont when the sun comes out there , she’s less stressed when it’s sunny, unlike me, a true cloud worshiper!  

@grapau27 Thanks to Fr David for his message, he sure gets to the heart of it! 😄

We have spinach a lot. Now I usually add it to our nightly salad. I used to buy the huge bags of it in Costco and quick-steam it for supper side dishes, add a bit of Greek seasoning and a bad of butter or olive oil. But now my fridge is too cramped for those big bags, but I buy a small container and love having it fresh. 

I used to waitress at a Pennsylvania Poconos resort in the 70s to make college money. Well the owners sons had a “surprise” for me one afternoon, had me sit with me eyes closed and hands out…. I was anticipating their prank so didn’t react when they handed me a snake. I figured if they handled it, it wasn’t going to hurt me. They were so disappointed !  Im not fond of snakes but tolerate them in their environment. We lived in desert parts and snakes were common. Came upon rattlesnakes out sunning on the walking paths trying to get warm a couple of times, just gave them a wide pass.  They do a lot of good keeping the rodents down. 

Haven’t been to Korea, will pass on drinks, DH doesn’t eat any type of squash but I’d enjoy the meal for sure!  Love Blue Bell ice cream!  Can’t imagine a flavor I wouldn’t like!  There’s a brand in Oregon that rivals it too, I think it was Umqua?  The PNW will know!  

@marshhawk Annie, my heart goes out to Chuck and his family ❤️ and all the decisions they must make under very stressful circumstances. Glad he finally got his luggage but that is very poor indeed!  

@cruising sister You were right, baby Murphy is on a long road, and some days will go sideways!  We’re hanging in with her and you!  

@smitty34877 Terry you are creative finding foods DH can enjoy now. I’m sure it is so heartwarming to see him eating and trying!  And to have Tana helping. I hope you can do something enjoyable for yourself today too!  

Everybody stay safe and well!  Blessings to all in need of healing, comfort or hope! And for the shooting and flood victims, and Ukraine, and all on the Cares List.  May all our air conditioners keep working !  

Cheers to those celebrating, Life is good! 🌈. Love the photo @ger_77Gerry!  That’s an anniversary to remember!  @kazu Love that array of Ivan’s toys!  Reminds me of being 5 with a bed full of stuffed animals to keep me company. 

Tomorrow is DH’s pre- surgery physical 🤞. So far, so good!  One day at a time is everything! 🌻
Maureen 

Maureen, we've enjoyed Umpqua ice cream on motorhome trips along the Oregon coast.  Tillamook is the other big Oregon ice cream brand.  I think Umpqua is slightly better than Tillamook, but both are good.  I hope your DH has a good report from his pre-surgery physical.

43 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

Good morning. Still sunny, hot and dry but we do have forecast break in the weather the end of the week ahead. I can but hope. Dogs and I took two walks this morning as there were some loose dogs out when during our first attempt. They are now crashed for the morning.

I was married to a herpetologist at one time so snakes don't bother me. I always try to identify quickly since we do have rattlers which are becoming more common at our elevation. Our kennel club is hosting another avoidance training and tomorrow I will be putting up posters. Have not been to the port of the day and probably never will be. I like spinach and do eat it fairly regularly. Right now I am so tired of my own cooking that I am not eating much. Will have to start thinking about some variation in the menu.

Haven't heard anything further about M who fell and was found by the mail carrier. Will have to try to check. My usual source of information who is a neighbor of hers has also been having issues with depression and has been away. Living alone as you get older can get really tough unless there is immediate family close by (and I know that does help in some cases). Am going to have to give that some thought. I do not want to move closer to my nephews and nieces as they all live in places that that are hot and humid. Actually, the thought of moving leaves me cold. Better get hiking and get more down-sizing done.

Take care all. @marshhawkGlad the luggage has joined your DH. Sounds like he is going to have a somewhat stressful visit without missing luggage. Most positive thoughts to all. I need to reach out to some friends in town in the next few days since I obviously have missed some things with a few of them.

Susan

Susan, I hope you do get that break in the weather at the end of the week.

34 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I'm not a fan of spinach, fresh or cooked. Snakes have their place, just not near me. BFF had a large one (nonpoisonous) in his backyard last year, and whenever I go there I look around carefully! I remember seeing woodie wagons when I was growing up. Let's not forget National Ice Cream Day!! I agree with the quote, to a degree; some things need to be memorized. Maybe on the meal, no on the drink (basil) and yes to the wine. An important day in history. I have not been to Busan.

It's another hot and humid day here today, with possible thunderstorms this evening. Also we're supposed to get wildfire smoke tomorrow, but they can't say how bad it will be yet. I'll be inside today, watching Wimbledon tennis and doing stuff around the house. Tomorrow AM I have to get going for appointments, mammogram and bone density. I'll try to remember to close the car to outside air when I leave.

@StLouisCruisers Thank you for starting us up today, and @richwmn for laying the groundwork. Excellent photos from Busan. Sad about so many shootings with people killed and injured; every morning on the local news there seems to be new ones here. Stay safe! 

@grapau27 Thanks for the link to Fr. David's sermon. 

@dfish What are spiedies?

@smitty34877 I hope DH's appetite picks up, but probably not easy if his diet is limited. So sorry to hear of the weather's impact on Tana; but good that she is still participating with meal choice and prep.

@kazu Thanks. Your jam sounds great; my mother used to make jam that she put wax on top of (I gather this is no longer considered that safe).

@cruising sister Continued prayers for baby Murphy that she progresses in her recovery. After several times losing refrigerator and freezers full of food, I have a couple of indoor power sources to keep them going about a day. It's terrible, plus trying to sleep in the heat.

@ger_77 Congrats on your 1st cruise Anniversary!

@marshhawk Good to hear that DH got his luggage! I hope the brothers can get things straightened out about their DM. 

@Nickelpenny Yikes on the snake on your neck! And the big one. You're braver than I am. 

@RMLincoln I hope DH's physical tomorrow goes well, so there's no impediment to surgery on August 1.

@RedneckBob My favorite ice cream is the hazelnut gelato in Germany (see pic below). I've tried to replicate it by making my own, but haven't gotten a satisfactory batch yet. Commercially, my favorite is Haagen Dazs Rum Raisin. 

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers to those with something to Celebrate.

008-5.16-HazelnuticecreamatBuonissimoHeilbronn.thumb.jpg.436868f7a554b071d17133e5f61e860a.jpg

Vanessa, I hope the smoke tomorrow isn't too bad.  And I hope you get good results from both tests tomorrow.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 1

this has become my new favourite ice cream. I made a batch for my Wednesday group this past week and we ate it all up. Very easy and very good.

No-Churn Maple Pecan Ice Cream

Ingredients

•    2 cups (500 mL) heavy cream cold
    •    1 can sweetened condensed milk

•    2 teaspoons (10 mL) pure vanilla extract

•    1/4 cup (60 mL) maple syrup, divided

•    1 cup (250 mL) candied pecans, chopped and divided

Preparation

In your stand mixer, whip the cold heavy whipping cream until soft peaks form. Turn the mixer on high speed and continue to whip, add in the vanilla extract and then start adding the sweetened condensed milk in a steady stream until it's fully incorporated and hard peaks form.

Spread half of the ice cream base into a loaf pan. Drizzle with half of the maple syrup, then sprinkle half of the chopped candied pecans over the top. Use a knife to gently swirl the mixture to combine.

Pour the remaining ice cream base on top, and repeat the process above with the remaining maple syrup and candied pecans.

Wrap the pan tightly in plastic wrap and freeze until firm, at least 6 hours. Serve in ice cream cones or keep frozen for up to 2 weeks, tightly wrapped in plastic.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 6

Favorite ice cream?  Right now its Tillamook Mudslide.  Which I am out of.  There is a container of Tillamook Oregon Cherry in the freezer.  It has not been opened.  I like to cut up chocolate brandied cherries and add it to the ice cream.  My wrist is now allowing me to open water bottles, not sure about the ice cream container.  Best if it stays closed.  I am currently hearing transformers blowing, so maybe later I will have to eat the entire container.

My first beau had a Woody Wagon, but the brakes did not work, and I lived on a hill.  So when he showed up, I would have to run out and put bricks in front of the tires.  And move them when he was ready to leave.  

OK, this is what I did this morning after I popped in here.

I created a calendar of the upcoming B2B cruise.  I am calling it my Rome to Home adventure. I finished booking excursions, I contacted Rome Cabs for a ride to the port from our hotel, I contacted the hotel (Hotel Nazionale Roma) regarding their Limo service from the airport to the hotel, any chance of seeing an opera performance during the time we are in town, and tour recommendations for a rather handicapped hubby to the Coliseum.  I also wanted to know what time church was on Sunday at the Pantheon.  Not that I would understand it, but I sat through many latin services with our Nanny when we lived in France.  She was from Austria and at that time Mass was in Latin. I asked her if she understood what the priest was saying, and she said no, it was the showing up for God on Sunday that made her go.  God knew.

There are a few ports where I did not book anything.  You are mostly all world travelers, and I know that you had posted about my ports for the trip,  so here is a list of ports and excursions, and if there is no excursion for a port, please comment!

Mykonos-Delos

Kusadasi-Ephesus St Johns and Virgin Mary

Santorini-we were just going to wander the lower port area, have lunch, and coffee

Athens- Acropolis and Ancient History Museum

Katakolon-wander port- I think @ger_77 ? had posted pictures of lunch there

Messina- wander port- I think @StLouisCruisershad mentioned visiting a church with a wonderful clock-if so, do you remember what time the clock show was?

Naples-Pompeii on our own (it is an excursion, but very vague, they take us, they bring us back)

Cartagena-Discover Elche/UNESCO site

Madiera-Island Drive

Ponta Delgada-Crater Lakes

Grand Turk-been there, so beach time. We have never done an excursion there, we just love the snorkeling.

oh, and about snakes.  We had a plethora of water moccasins a couple of years ago, all babies, but mom had to be somewhere....there is a creek behind the houses across the street.  We had a fountain in our tiny pond,  this year we don't have the fountain going.  Maybe it was the sound of water?  I don't like snakes.  Didn't mind them until I knew the dangers.  And in Georgia, we have rattlesnakes, we have water moccasins, copperheads, and coral snakes.  Pretty much covers why I don't like snakes! 

• Like 20

Annie @marshhawk the clock begins its magic at 12 noon.  Here is an article about it.  Maybe try to look at a map of Messina or Google it so you can see where it's located and can get there on time.  What time are you in Messina?

https://www.messinarte.it/the-bell-tower-of-the-cathedral-of-messina/

When you get to Santorini you will need to get up to the top of the hill to enjoy the town.  There is a cable car you can buy tickets to.  I don't recommend the donkey ride up there!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Favorite ice cream?  Right now its Tillamook Mudslide.  Which I am out of.  There is a container of Tillamook Oregon Cherry in the freezer.  It has not been opened.  I like to cut up chocolate brandied cherries and add it to the ice cream.  My wrist is now allowing me to open water bottles, not sure about the ice cream container.  Best if it stays closed.  I am currently hearing transformers blowing, so maybe later I will have to eat the entire container.

My first beau had a Woody Wagon, but the brakes did not work, and I lived on a hill.  So when he showed up, I would have to run out and put bricks in front of the tires.  And move them when he was ready to leave.  

OK, this is what I did this morning after I popped in here.

I created a calendar of the upcoming B2B cruise.  I am calling it my Rome to Home adventure. I finished booking excursions, I contacted Rome Cabs for a ride to the port from our hotel, I contacted the hotel (Hotel Nazionale Roma) regarding their Limo service from the airport to the hotel, any chance of seeing an opera performance during the time we are in town, and tour recommendations for a rather handicapped hubby to the Coliseum.  I also wanted to know what time church was on Sunday at the Pantheon.  Not that I would understand it, but I sat through many latin services with our Nanny when we lived in France.  She was from Austria and at that time Mass was in Latin. I asked her if she understood what the priest was saying, and she said no, it was the showing up for God on Sunday that made her go.  God knew.

There are a few ports where I did not book anything.  You are mostly all world travelers, and I know that you had posted about my ports for the trip,  so here is a list of ports and excursions, and if there is no excursion for a port, please comment!

Mykonos-Delos

Santorini-we were just going to wander the lower port area, have lunch, and coffee

Messina- wander port- I think @StLouisCruisershad mentioned visiting a church with a wonderful clock-if so, do you remember what time the clock show was?

Naples-Pompeii on our own (it is an excursion, but very vague, they take us, they bring us back)

Madiera-Island Drive

Grand Turk-been there, so beach time. We have never done an excursion there, we just love the snorkeling.

oh, and about snakes.  We had a plethora of water moccasins a couple of years ago, all babies, but mom had to be somewhere....there is a creek behind the houses across the street.  We had a fountain in our tiny pond,  this year we don't have the fountain going.  Maybe it was the sound of water?  I don't like snakes.  Didn't mind them until I knew the dangers.  And in Georgia, we have rattlesnakes, we have water moccasins, copperheads, and coral snakes.  Pretty much covers why I don't like snakes! 

Annie, you have been busy this morning.  I'll try to answer some questions about your upcoming cruise.

Mykonos --  We haven't been to Delos, but love Mykonos.  If there's time, it's an interesting town for wandering.

Kusadasi -- We've been to Ephesus twice and Mary's house.  Both are better on a tour because of timing.  You'll probably have time to wander  around Kusadasi after the tour.  BTW, you can skip the rug store if you want.  There will be plenty of shopping, including "Genuine Fake Watches". 

Santorini -- You can take the gondola up to the top, but the lines back down can be long at times.  There's only a little bit to see on the waterfront.  Another way to see the top is to take a tour to Oia and you'd be dropped near the gondola to come down.  The ticket is included in the tour price.

Athens -- The Acropolis is interesting, but it's a steep climb to the top.  

Katakolon -- It's a small town to wander around.  Mainly one main street and the waterfront.  There is a small, but interesting museum and it takes donations.  If you are up early, you can get a local tour bus to Olympia which in 2019 was about 8 Euros pp to take you to the town and pick you up about two hours later.  You are on your own for the entrance fee to the Olympic site..  You'd still have time to wander around Katakolon and have lunch.  Did I mention there's plenty of shopping -- clothes and jewelry.

Messina --  The clock in the church "does its thing" at noon.  You can walk there from the port, but is a fair walk, and there is a Ho-Ho in town.

Naples -- Pompeii is very interesting, just be aware that now days with crowds you probably won't be able to see it all.  However, on your own, you can move faster than on a tour.

Cartagena --  A very walkable and interesting city.  There is an old Roman theatre.

Madeira --  If you get a chance after your tour, check out the market which has everything from flowers, soft goods to meat, vegetables and fish.

Ponta Delgada -- You picked a good tour, and you may have time to wander town afterwards.  The new dock is nearer the town too.

Annie, we had all those snakes in The Woodlands.  Now, it's rattlesnakes, copperheads, cottonmouth and water moccasins.  

Lenda

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

@marshhawk

I agree with Lenda, take the trip to Oia.  It is beautiful and the cable car back down.  

There is probably a ships tour in Messina to beautiful Taomorina with its ancient theatre.  It really is spectacular and has been my pick on two occasions.   The ground in town is flat,  it make sure to wear money belts with valuables under your clothes.   DH got pickpocketed in the large elevators that come from the bus parking garage there.  

in Athens it’s worth taking a taxi to the acropolis first thing when it’s cooler and less crowded.

For Katakalon, I would suggest the visit to Olympia if you haven’t been followed by lunch when you return,  I’ll put the pictures of where we like to go,  the local priest and some crew also enjoy this one. It’s on the end of town farthest from the ship. 

IMG_2739.jpeg

IMG_2738.jpeg

IMG_2737.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

I found my pictures from our visit to Busan in 2000 and scanned them into the computer.  It was a sunny day, but as you can see from the pictures, the pollution was bad.  We did a tour that day which included a temple and the UN cemetery.

Our first stop was the Tongdosa Temple.  This Buddhist temple is known for having shrines instead of statues and includes 35 buildings.

img20230716_11231152.thumb.jpg.c0a15cb5245315390fe5874e7b3b7cfb.jpg

img20230716_11231153.thumb.jpg.b681ede6912c62cd11bfeef2473fe238.jpg

img20230716_11264016.thumb.jpg.b2c3661ce98044ed8911a1c75305751e.jpg

img20230716_11291909.thumb.jpg.409be6b07b308aaf88e4d183504b7f72.jpg

img20230716_11303052.thumb.jpg.0c9f9add034cfb0bd5eeb4166ed5317d.jpg

img20230716_11303052_0001.thumb.jpg.6baa5c3369db7a4fe3c29ce3ce6a4b25.jpg

img20230716_11321328.thumb.jpg.ef57e397fe1a2b7c1e878202b932964e.jpg

The UN Memorial Cemetery which is divided into sections, each of which contain the graves of soldiers from the same country.  It is the only UN cemetery in the World.

img20230716_11331718.thumb.jpg.a25f76a79b9dc32e4c1fc2b6ec551d62.jpg

This is the section where the British soldiers were buried.  Interestingly, there is a small section for the US since most the US dead were repatriated home.

img20230716_11331718_0001.thumb.jpg.3d0ed597ed729d5296a26a39c73dbb7f.jpg

All my pictures of the city were taken form the ship when we sailed.

img20230716_11344440.thumb.jpg.9716d8ddb6387995137b1f3a2e3c4f85.jpg

img20230716_11344441.thumb.jpg.4788869d3d7345da6784357e5d4e74a4.jpg

img20230716_11354693_0001.thumb.jpg.9d7fd8e69d9853e7c7a06a2826adb7cc.jpg

Lenda

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, bennybear said:

@marshhawk

I agree with Lenda, take the trip to Oia.  It is beautiful and the cable car back down.  

There is probably a ships tour in Messina to beautiful Taomorina with its ancient theatre.  It really is spectacular and has been my pick on two occasions.   The ground in town is flat,  it make sure to wear money belts with valuables under your clothes.   DH got pickpocketed in the large elevators that come from the bus parking garage there.  

in Athens it’s worth taking a taxi to the acropolis first thing when it’s cooler and less crowded.

For Katakalon, I would suggest the visit to Olympia if you haven’t been followed by lunch when you return,  I’ll put the pictures of where we like to go,  the local priest and some crew also enjoy this one. It’s on the end of town farthest from the ship. 

IMG_2739.jpeg

IMG_2738.jpeg

IMG_2737.jpeg

Gerry, we enjoyed Oia on our tour along with the Minoan ruins at the other end of the island.  We also did a tour to Taormina and to Mt. Etna from Messina.  The last time we were in Messina, the ship had stopped nearer Taormina, so we decided to explore Messina that day.  

There are pickpockets all over Europe.  DH had his pocket picked on a bus in Palermo, but all he had in the pocket was tissues and candy.

Lenda 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

For @Quartzsite Cruiser and @JazzyV and anyone else who might be interested in what spiedies are:  

The spiedie is a snack consisting of marinated meat cut into cubes, grilled and placed in a long bread roll, local to Binghamton in the central Southern Tier of New York State, and somewhat more broadly known and enjoyed throughout Central New York.] A spiedie consists of cubes of chicken, pork, lamb, veal, venison or beef. The meat cubes are marinated overnight or longer, then grilled on spits over a charcoal pit.

The traditional method involves serving freshly prepared cubes of lamb, chicken, or beef on soft Italian bread or a submarine roll, occasionally drizzled with fresh marinade. Spiedie meat cubes can also be eaten straight off the skewer or can be served in salads, stir fries, and a number of other dishes. The marinade recipe varies, usually involving olive oil, vinegar, and a variety of Italian spices and fresh mint.

Spiedies have been celebrated at the Spiedie Fest and Balloon Rally in Binghamton, New York, every August since 1983. The annual event includes a spiedie cook-off in search of the best spiedie recipes.

The original spiedies were made from lamb and you could buy a spiedie sandwich from a corner street vendor.   When we would go to Binghamton every summer to visit Grandma, we would always have spiedies.  

spiedies.jpg.65ecfadcda574bcca010b10340497394.jpg

When I make spiedies, I always marinate them for at least two days.  A day longer is even better.  The meat really absorbs the flavor and is so delicious to eat.  I have bought spiedie marinade when I've been in Binghamton, but I also have a couple recipes to make my own.  I copied the top 3 recipes from the Spiedie Cookoff one year and I kind of combine them to make mine. 

1 cup olive oil

1/4 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed

3/4 cup red wine vinegar

4 garlic cloves, minced

1 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

1 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano 

1 1/2 teaspoon dried basil 

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon black pepper

I teaspoon paprika

1/2 teaspoon mint

2 bay leaves

spiedie2.thumb.jpg.7f01943ce9c8600a4d1b59e921f7fc9a.jpg

They are easy and they are good!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 11

48 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Annie, you have been busy this morning.  I'll try to answer some questions about your upcoming cruise.

Mykonos --  We haven't been to Delos, but love Mykonos.  If there's time, it's an interesting town for wandering.

Kusadasi -- We've been to Ephesus twice and Mary's house.  Both are better on a tour because of timing.  You'll probably have time to wander  around Kusadasi after the tour.  BTW, you can skip the rug store if you want.  There will be plenty of shopping, including "Genuine Fake Watches". 

Santorini -- You can take the gondola up to the top, but the lines back down can be long at times.  There's only a little bit to see on the waterfront.  Another way to see the top is to take a tour to Oia and you'd be dropped near the gondola to come down.  The ticket is included in the tour price.

Athens -- The Acropolis is interesting, but it's a steep climb to the top.  

Katakolon -- It's a small town to wander around.  Mainly one main street and the waterfront.  There is a small, but interesting museum and it takes donations.  If you are up early, you can get a local tour bus to Olympia which in 2019 was about 8 Euros pp to take you to the town and pick you up about two hours later.  You are on your own for the entrance fee to the Olympic site..  You'd still have time to wander around Katakolon and have lunch.  Did I mention there's plenty of shopping -- clothes and jewelry.

Messina --  The clock in the church "does its thing" at noon.  You can walk there from the port, but is a fair walk, and there is a Ho-Ho in town.

Naples -- Pompeii is very interesting, just be aware that now days with crowds you probably won't be able to see it all.  However, on your own, you can move faster than on a tour.

Cartagena --  A very walkable and interesting city.  There is an old Roman theatre.

Madeira --  If you get a chance after your tour, check out the market which has everything from flowers, soft goods to meat, vegetables and fish.

Ponta Delgada -- You picked a good tour, and you may have time to wander town afterwards.  The new dock is nearer the town too.

Annie, we had all those snakes in The Woodlands.  Now, it's rattlesnakes, copperheads, cottonmouth and water moccasins.  

Lenda

Excellent descriptions which I would definitely agree with.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

I found my pictures from our visit to Busan in 2000 and scanned them into the computer.  It was a sunny day, but as you can see from the pictures, the pollution was bad.  We did a tour that day which included a temple and the UN cemetery.

Our first stop was the Tongdosa Temple.  This Buddhist temple is known for having shrines instead of statues and includes 35 buildings.

img20230716_11231152.thumb.jpg.c0a15cb5245315390fe5874e7b3b7cfb.jpg

img20230716_11231153.thumb.jpg.b681ede6912c62cd11bfeef2473fe238.jpg

img20230716_11264016.thumb.jpg.b2c3661ce98044ed8911a1c75305751e.jpg

img20230716_11291909.thumb.jpg.409be6b07b308aaf88e4d183504b7f72.jpg

img20230716_11303052.thumb.jpg.0c9f9add034cfb0bd5eeb4166ed5317d.jpg

img20230716_11303052_0001.thumb.jpg.6baa5c3369db7a4fe3c29ce3ce6a4b25.jpg

img20230716_11321328.thumb.jpg.ef57e397fe1a2b7c1e878202b932964e.jpg

The UN Memorial Cemetery which is divided into sections, each of which contain the graves of soldiers from the same country.  It is the only UN cemetery in the World.

img20230716_11331718.thumb.jpg.a25f76a79b9dc32e4c1fc2b6ec551d62.jpg

This is the section where the British soldiers were buried.  Interestingly, there is a small section for the US since most the US dead were repatriated home.

img20230716_11331718_0001.thumb.jpg.3d0ed597ed729d5296a26a39c73dbb7f.jpg

All my pictures of the city were taken form the ship when we sailed.

img20230716_11344440.thumb.jpg.9716d8ddb6387995137b1f3a2e3c4f85.jpg

img20230716_11344441.thumb.jpg.4788869d3d7345da6784357e5d4e74a4.jpg

img20230716_11354693_0001.thumb.jpg.9d7fd8e69d9853e7c7a06a2826adb7cc.jpg

Lenda

Nice photos Lenda.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and Happy Sunday. Last night we had a lot of wind, the windows were rattling and this morning our backyard looked like a dust devil hit. Lots of debris and stuff off neighbors trees.  Craig has it cleaned up now. 

I like spinach, hate snakes, remember woodies, and the best ice cream is Trader Joe’s vanilla. Actually my favorite is stracciatella gelato because the chocolate is irregular, yum, but have to go to the gelato shop to get it. I have made my own but you have to melt the chocolate and add it in while the vanilla base is churning so it’s a bit of extra work. I’ll pass on everything else. 

Yesterday we smoked a whole chicken and it was very good. I made potato salad and baked beans for sides. I discovered wood chunks and they are so much easier to use than wood chips. Highly recommend if anyone here likes to smoke using their kettle grill with charcoal.  I think we’ll have steak today. 

I haven’t been reading much of the other threads on CC lately and after reading some of it today I’m kind of glad.  🤷🏼‍♀️

Prayers for all who need them, especially Baby Murphy. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 24

5 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Today is an anniversary of sorts - an important one, as far as I'm concerned.  34 years ago today we embarked on our very first cruise - I won it on a radio contest - on the Carnival Jubilee.  Who knew that day how many countries, ports and cities we would ultimately visit, and how many wonderful friends we would make along the way?  

Carnival.thumb.jpg.5eab2e5b49c3c9834e4c32330c1f71a8.jpg

What a great anniversary to celebrate!  Super picture 👍 

4 hours ago, marshhawk said:

I talked with DH last night, his luggage was delivered yesterday! He said it was nice to put on clean clothes.

Thanks heavens, Annie 👍 

4 hours ago, marshhawk said:

And he said that what they are discussing, planning, and researching is very stressful.  They are discussing the future of two lives, their mom, and the great grand daughter (who may or may not be their "sister")  While she raised the kid, no one is sure if she really was legally adopted.  Something else that needs to be researched.  I told Chuck that while Mom was still there, and until they can find a recent will, to ask Mom to allow them to take what they want before the house is emptied out.  All DH wants are some family pictures.  And actually since the other brother has power of attorney, maybe he should ask him instead.

Oh dear - this doesn’t sound good.  Best wishes to him in this effort 🙏 

If the POA has been enforced - yes, he should ask his brother.  If not, he can ask his mother.

3 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

@kazu Love that array of Ivan’s toys!  Reminds me of being 5 with a bed full of stuffed animals to keep me company. 

LOL - he drags them all out of his box to tempt me to play fetch (he would play for hours if I let him) but there’s only one he wants thrown.  It’s a guessing game 😂. It’s never the same one.

3 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

Tomorrow is DH’s pre- surgery physical 🤞. So far, so good!  One day at a time is everything! 🌻

Best wishes for him for tomorrow 🙏 

2 hours ago, durangoscots said:

Right now I am so tired of my own cooking that I am not eating much. Will have to start thinking about some variation in the menu.

I totally understand that.  It’s no fun cooking for one.  I hope you can find some variation and eat better 🤞 ( I know, pot calling kettle black 😉)

2 hours ago, durangoscots said:

Haven't heard anything further about M who fell and was found by the mail carrier. Will have to try to check. My usual source of information who is a neighbor of hers has also been having issues with depression and has been away. Living alone as you get older can get really tough unless there is immediate family close by (and I know that does help in some cases). Am going to have to give that some thought. I do not want to move closer to my nephews and nieces as they all live in places that that are hot and humid. Actually, the thought of moving leaves me cold. Better get hiking and get more down-sizing done.

I hear you all too well.  Down-sizing is a lot of work and takes time 😔 

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

@kazu Thanks. Your jam sounds great; my mother used to make jam that she put wax on top of (I gather this is no longer considered that safe).

I remember my Mum did that decades ago.   she didn’t do it long.   It isn’t needed and can cause problems with regular jam setting and expanding as it sets.  

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, memory jogged.  @bennybeari remembered your picture of the gyro with the fries, which I giggle about everytime we go to our greek restaurant and I order a gyro.  I do believe that most europeans believe we live off of our fries.

The church bell event is at noon, I think we arrive at 8 am.

There is a two fold philosophy about our Rome to Home trip.  One, DH does not handle walking well, and with his loss of peripheral vision, stairs, steps and drop offs are not easy for him. So the trip up into town, in Santorini sounds a bit frightening for both of us.  I chose a few ports not to do something that is a big crowd or excursion,  but just a nice day of doing as much as we can without having to do more.  Since we are on a tour, I'm pretty sure the climb to the Acropolis is optional, but DH wants to "see" it, and of course visit the museum of antiquities.  The first part is the 10 day cruise which consists of two days at sea, and 7 straight port days.  The transatlantic is sea day, port, sea day, port, sea day port, and then 5 days at sea.  Lots of down time to recoup.  Every since DH had his fall, every day has been a wait and see day.  I know we don't want to miss things, but we also don't want to overdo, and lose out on things we really want to do..  

Now, tell me about the Ho Ho bus.  How do you know where to find it?  How do you know where it goes?  How much do they really run? 

And just an observance of this cruise.  I dont think Carnival has done this cruise in a long time.  Many of the excursions sound great, and then end the description with "find your own way back to the ship".

We chose the Delos excursion, even though it says lots of walking, extremely strenuous, and it was a find your own way back, because I read that the tour guides are not in the best shape, so they are not going to be leading a rapid crusade, and will let us wander at our own time.

• Like 21

Hi Everyone!

First, my continued thanks to all contributors here especially @StLouisCruisers for keeping this up and running while @richwmn is taking a break. I hope he is doing something enjoyable.

Lots of really good converstaion on the thread this week. I really liked all of the photos and info about the ports of the day; some of them I had not even heard of and the pictures were great. Lots of 'laugh out loud' memes too. I'll be sitting by myself and just laugh....🤣

I only like spinach in a salad or in a dish but not cooked spinach by itself, it probably is a texture thing for me.

Nope to the snakes....just nope. Some of you are much braver than me.

We had station wagons when I was growing up, we are a family of 6 kids, but they were not a Woodie Wagon. We always had a Chevrolet; I remember most of them being blue.

My favorite ice cream is vanilla bean but recently I had a vanilla salted carmel ice cream cone that was delicious; right up there with the favorite. 😋 Thanks @superoma for the ice cream recioe, it looks yummy and something I would like to try to tmake.

@dfish and @Crazy For Cats I would be excited for my next crusie too! Very fun you will see each other on the cruise. Thanks @dfish for explaining what speiedes are; I have never heard of them. Being that they tend to be on a stick I am surprised someone has not tried to get them into the MN State Fair in a food booth. They do look good!

@cruising sister glad to hear sweet baby Murphy is progressing nicely, small steps in the right diretion are stil very good. IMO. I am sure your experience and kinds words were a comfort to her parents. Thanks for sharing her progress with us.

Yesterday, here in MN we had another high air quality alert from the smoke in Canada. The smoke smell was really strong. It also set a record for the state on number of air quality alert days. Just the kind of record we want...not! Otherwise our weather has been pretty good though we do need more rain.

I think I am in the IT issue club going on this week, my desk top computer is being weird and making an intermitent buzzing noise. IDK.

Continuing prayers for us all and praying extra beads on the rosary for those in need.

Congrats on the celebrations and joys everyone has had this past week. All are good for the soul and heart.

Take good care.

Caron

• Like 24

Oops - my multi quote failed, sorry.  

@JazzyV best wishes for your tests tomorrow 🤞 

2 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Madiera-Island Drive

For Kusadai - Ephesus is a must - wonderful.   If you can, do it privately - it is so much better in a small group and you see a lot more.  There may even be someone on your roll call organizing a tour.

For Madeira - is the Island Drive with HAL?  If it is, I would definitely book a tour with Daniel.  You will see a lot more and the buses can’t go to all the spots.  Daniels’ tours are very reasonable (ridiculously so) and he knows the island like the back of his hand.  anytime I am going to Madeira, my first email is to his wife to secure services.  https://danielmadeirataxis.com/

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Thank you, memory jogged.  @bennybeari remembered your picture of the gyro with the fries, which I giggle about everytime we go to our greek restaurant and I order a gyro.  I do believe that most europeans believe we live off of our fries.

The church bell event is at noon, I think we arrive at 8 am.

There is a two fold philosophy about our Rome to Home trip.  One, DH does not handle walking well, and with his loss of peripheral vision, stairs, steps and drop offs are not easy for him. So the trip up into town, in Santorini sounds a bit frightening for both of us.  I chose a few ports not to do something that is a big crowd or excursion,  but just a nice day of doing as much as we can without having to do more.  Since we are on a tour, I'm pretty sure the climb to the Acropolis is optional, but DH wants to "see" it, and of course visit the museum of antiquities.  The first part is the 10 day cruise which consists of two days at sea, and 7 straight port days.  The transatlantic is sea day, port, sea day, port, sea day port, and then 5 days at sea.  Lots of down time to recoup.  Every since DH had his fall, every day has been a wait and see day.  I know we don't want to miss things, but we also don't want to overdo, and lose out on things we really want to do..  

Now, tell me about the Ho Ho bus.  How do you know where to find it?  How do you know where it goes?  How much do they really run? 

And just an observance of this cruise.  I dont think Carnival has done this cruise in a long time.  Many of the excursions sound great, and then end the description with "find your own way back to the ship".

We chose the Delos excursion, even though it says lots of walking, extremely strenuous, and it was a find your own way back, because I read that the tour guides are not in the best shape, so they are not going to be leading a rapid crusade, and will let us wander at our own time.

Annie, with your DH's problems with steps, I would not recommend a tour to the top in Santorini.  None of the tours take you back down to the tender pier.  There are steep steps to and from the gondola cars, and they are wide with a lot of people; so it might be hard to get over to the wall and have the hand rail to use.  There are tours to some of the out lying islands for a beach day, either through the ship or on the island near the tender dock.  You would have to decided if your DH could handle getting in and out of the boat on the island.

The Acropolis is visible from areas below the steep hill, so it can be seen even if you can't make it up close.  Unless the area has changed since we went all the way up to the Acropolis in 2003, the ground at the top was uneven and rocky.  That is another issue to be consider.

Most big tourist cities have Ho-Hos or tourist trains.  To get the best view, you have to climb some steep, narrow stairs to get to the upper deck on the busses.  There are stops all along the routes of the Hop-on, Hop-off busses, but when the town is crowded, if you get off, it might not be possible to get back on the bus.  There are people selling tickets to the busses, plus some ships have a Ho-Ho tour.  If the ship docks away from town, the Ho-Ho might have a bus at the ship, but it could just be used as a shuttle to get to the first stop.  

My advice, would be to Google the Hop-on, Hop-off buses for each city you are interested in using them.  They will have the price, and a route map.  You can even get the tickets on line.  Sometimes there are two competing lines with slightly different routes and prices.  If you do one, remember to keep you ticket because often if you show a ticket, they will give you a discount.  We often take them the first time we're in a port to get an overview of the town, and many times don't get off and on.

Ephesus is a must do, but it can be steep and uneven in places.  We were last there in 2019, and they had added a "boardwalk" over some of the steep, uneven areas.  DH used walking sticks which helped in the uneven areas.  Most tours start at the top and work their way down, which is easier walking.  And the busses wait at the bottom for the tours.  We've always done ship tours, so I don't know if private tours start at the top or the bottom.  I think on your own, you enter at the bottom.

I hope I didn't give you information overload.

Lenda

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

I googled the Oregon ice cream and it is definitely Umpqua. I’ve been to the Tillamook cheese factory but not had the ice cream so I can’t compare them. Umpqua is right up there with Blue Bell for me. 

@marshhawk Annie, your cruise itinerary sounds exceptional.  All amazing places.  Adding to what others have said:

In Santorini we went to Akrotiri ancient ruins but very comfortable to tour. Not sure how mobile Chuck is, there is walking and some stairs.  We took a ship tour then they dropped us near the cable car. We visited the Archeology museum. Excellent.  The line for the cable car was over an hour. We walked down, miserable 45 mins but we survived. 

Kushadasi was a good place to buy saffron!  And internet. Stroll the main drag near the ship. 

From Messina we visited Taormina, another place where there is evidence of the many different civilizations that conquered there. Vibrant place to visit, stroll, see some history, eat some gelato!  And the views of Mt Etna are almost too close, magnificent. I’m sure Messina is nice too and closer. 

My only experience with Rome HoHo was friends did it, not I. They said traffic was SO bad tge bus hardly moved. After 3 hrs they got off and took a taxi. Our first visit to Rome together (I had been there with mom long ago) we took the ship bus into and out of Rome. I told DH he could pick up to 3 things to see and I’d work out the timing. We did Pantheon, Sistine Chapel and St Peter’s which was where the bus dropped us and met us afterwards. We had about 5 hrs. Others invited us on a tour that would “hit” 9 places!  We really enjoyed our 3!  We pre-purchased timed tickets for Sistine Chapel.  The other two were come and go as you please. One tip we got was to taxi to the farthest point of interest then stroll back leisurely. Have the taxi driver confirm price by you writing it down and showing it back to him. When paying repeat the amount especially showing any cash so the driver can’t switch and claim you only gave a lower denomination. 

Thanks for the good wishes for DH tomorrow. Should go fine but every hurdle is a breath-holder! 🤞

@durangoscots Susan, sorry to hear about your neighbor. It’s a tough decision to move. We left our mountain home… I made a list of all the things to look forward to in the new chapter, and a list of all the things I would not miss. It helped a lot!  We are looking at moving again, closer to the granddaughter(s?) in 1-2 years where we will have better support but in independent living. I don’t regret the move here, we’ve been able to enjoy many things we were looking forward to, and now the married granddaughter is settling into her location, something we weren’t as sure of 3 years ago. Everyone’s decision and timing is their own but you are doing the first step which is to consider your options. Our high elevation of 8700 feet was becoming a negative so sea level was better for us. And we enjoy our AC!  
m—

• Like 24

9 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

I googled the Oregon ice cream and it is definitely Umpqua. I’ve been to the Tillamook cheese factory but not had the ice cream so I can’t compare them. Umpqua is right up there with Blue Bell for me. 

@marshhawk Annie, your cruise itinerary sounds exceptional.  All amazing places.  Adding to what others have said:

In Santorini we went to Akrotiri ancient ruins but very comfortable to tour. Not sure how mobile Chuck is, there is walking and some stairs.  We took a ship tour then they dropped us near the cable car. We visited the Archeology museum. Excellent.  The line for the cable car was over an hour. We walked down, miserable 45 mins but we survived. 

Kushadasi was a good place to buy saffron!  And internet. Stroll the main drag near the ship. 

From Messina we visited Taormina, another place where there is evidence of the many different civilizations that conquered there. Vibrant place to visit, stroll, see some history, eat some gelato!  And the views of Mt Etna are almost too close, magnificent. I’m sure Messina is nice too and closer. 

My only experience with Rome HoHo was friends did it, not I. They said traffic was SO bad tge bus hardly moved. After 3 hrs they got off and took a taxi. Our first visit to Rome together (I had been there with mom long ago) we took the ship bus into and out of Rome. I told DH he could pick up to 3 things to see and I’d work out the timing. We did Pantheon, Sistine Chapel and St Peter’s which was where the bus dropped us and met us afterwards. We had about 5 hrs. Others invited us on a tour that would “hit” 9 places!  We really enjoyed our 3!  We pre-purchased timed tickets for Sistine Chapel.  The other two were come and go as you please. One tip we got was to taxi to the farthest point of interest then stroll back leisurely. Have the taxi driver confirm price by you writing it down and showing it back to him. When paying repeat the amount especially showing any cash so the driver can’t switch and claim you only gave a lower denomination. 

Thanks for the good wishes for DH tomorrow. Should go fine but every hurdle is a breath-holder! 🤞

@durangoscots Susan, sorry to hear about your neighbor. It’s a tough decision to move. We left our mountain home… I made a list of all the things to look forward to in the new chapter, and a list of all the things I would not miss. It helped a lot!  We are looking at moving again, closer to the granddaughter(s?) in 1-2 years where we will have better support but in independent living. I don’t regret the move here, we’ve been able to enjoy many things we were looking forward to, and now the married granddaughter is settling into her location, something we weren’t as sure of 3 years ago. Everyone’s decision and timing is their own but you are doing the first step which is to consider your options. Our high elevation of 8700 feet was becoming a negative so sea level was better for us. And we enjoy our AC!  
m—

Maureen, I read the other day that they are going to charge 5 Euros to enter the Pantheon now.  I think they want to cut down on the long lines.  I'm glad we've been there several times in the past when it wasn't crowded.

Lenda

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

On 7/14/2023 at 5:36 AM, Denise T said:

Good morning, everyone. Happy Bastille Day to those who celebrate. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Usual hot and muggy day today. Working from home. 

I made crab macaroni and cheese the other day. With three cats who tend to irritate each other it is pretty much pandemonium in my house. I am aware that sharks exist and will leave it at that. 

My cruise is all set. My TA did a nice job with the booking. We will have Club Orange this time just to try it out. I think I have the cruising bug because I am thinking about a 2026 cruise possibly to Canada/New England. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with those who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

I meant to say the other day, hope you enjoy club orange.  We will give it a try too.

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Gerry, we enjoyed Oia on our tour along with the Minoan ruins at the other end of the island.  We also did a tour to Taormina and to Mt. Etna from Messina.  The last time we were in Messina, the ship had stopped nearer Taormina, so we decided to explore Messina that day.  

There are pickpockets all over Europe.  DH had his pocket picked on a bus in Palermo, but all he had in the pocket was tissues and candy.

Lenda 

Yes you can be pickpocketed anywhere.   DH actually grabbed the guy and got his throwaway wallet back,  we keep the important stuff always in a money belt under our clothes.  They are very organized so ALWAYS good to take precautions. 

@marshhawk we don’t remember the fries years ago, we wonder if it is the British influence of chips,  I’m sure Graham will correct me if I’m wrong.  I just take them out and eat them on the side.  Also could be a lower cost way of filling you up.  

@RMLincoln hope all goes well tomorrow for your DH. 

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 18

Happy Sunday!  Our church had an outdoor service today.  We have a wonderful grove of trees to do it, and the weather was great!  I'm going to say nope to the snakes today, the drink sounds good, so does the meal.  I like the quote.  I think it should also include something about using a calculator for math.  1st medicare wellness check up the dr. asked me to count backwards by 7's.  I don't think I could have done that in my younger years either!  Math was not my forte!  

Good to hear that Baby Murphy is making slow progress!  Thinking about all who need hugs, and cheers for those celebrating.  

• Like 20

And Annie, @marshhawk, in a side street off the square where the church is in Messina is a little bakery that makes very good cannoli while you watch.  It was a side street that was kind of back in the direction of the port but I don't know the name, or the name of the bakery, sorry, maybe someone here will know. 

P1050702.thumb.JPG.8376b918b3770463d2b28a2e0546bc0d.JPG

P1050704.thumb.JPG.49d0efa5ab6baab6b177ce34f1b7016d.JPG

• Like 20

47 minutes ago, bennybear said:

I meant to say the other day, hope you enjoy club orange.  We will give it a try too.

Yes you can be pickpocketed anywhere.   DH actually grabbed the guy and got his throwaway wallet back,  we keep the important stuff always in a money belt under our clothes.  They are very organized so ALWAYS good to take precautions. 

@marshhawk we don’t remember the fries years ago, we wonder if it is the British influence of chips,  I’m sure Graham will correct me if I’m wrong.  I just take them out and eat them on the side.  Also could be a lower cost way of filling you up.  

@RMLincoln hope all goes well tomorrow for your DH. 

Your chips looked delicious.

I wear IZOD sports shorts because they have deep zip pockets i keep some money in and less obvious to the pickpockets than a wallet or money bag.

Screenshot_20230716_210044.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1