The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday July 16th, 2023

Today is Fresh Spinach Day, World Snake Day, and National Woodie Wagon Day

Never memorize something that you can look up.--Albert Einstein

Meal Suggestion for today - Baked Zucchini With Marinara And Cheese
Drink of the Day - Strawberry Basil Spritzer
Wine of the Day - Quartz Reef Pinot Noir Central Otago Bendigo Estate 2020
Destination of the Day - Busan, Korea

Today in History:
1519 Public debate between Martin Luther and theologian Johann Eck at Pleissenburg Castle in Liepzig, during which Luther denies the divine right of the Pope

Ship Locations

Eurodam

At Sea destination Juneau, Alaska eta 17 Jul

Koningsdam

At Sea destination Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm, & Juneau, Alaska eta 17 Jul

Nieuw Amsterdam

Vancouver, Canada 0700-1600

Nieuw Statendam

Molde, Norway 1000-1800

Noordam

Whittier, Alaska 0100-2000

Oosterdam

At Sea destination Sarande, Albania eta 17 Jul

Rotterdam

At Sea destination Eidfjord, Norway eta 17 Jul

Volendam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 0700-1600

Westerdam

Seattle, Washington 0700-1500

Zaandam

Quebec City, Quebec 0700-1500

Zuiderdam

At Sea destination Corner Brook, Newfoundland eta 17 Jul

image.thumb.png.8f8dcc2c752b37aee5ccbea27cbd8d90.png

image.thumb.png.42deb773f299c85c86f3afa2fc75719a.png

Sandi for Rich

• Like 22
  • Thanks 13

Thank you for today's daily reports Sandi.

We only see a few snakes in the UK but I personally have never seen one.

Google makes today's quote sensible.

Previously I went to reference libraries for information.

Not sure about today's food and drink and never been to Korea.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

Screenshot_20230716_095527.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 6

Good Sunday morning friends!  It's 73 and we expect 91 with sunny skies later on.  Thank you Rich @richwmn for our Daily and Fleet Report for today. 

It's Fresh Spinach day which is fine with me.  Mom used to give us canned spinach which tasted terrible.  I didn't know you could eat it in a salad fresh, but then I can't remember salads from my childhood.  Oh no, it's World Snake Day!  I hope I don't see any snakes anytime soon.  That 19 foot python recently found in Florida gives me the creeps.  Largest snake ever found there!  It is Woodie Wagon Day and I suppose they are talking about the wood covered station wagons of the 1950's.  Classics!

The quote today by Einstein is handy in case you have a bad memory.  Baked zucchini with marinara sauce and cheese sounds different.  I'm not sure I'd like basil in my strawberry flavored drink, and the pinot noir is I'm sure very good but it's a red.  I hope Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard didn't have any trouble finding recipes or information about the food and drinks.  Somehow, they always pull through.

The day in history is certainly from long ago and interesting but must have been controversial.

Prayers for our Care list folks of course and I will add my DB and my friend's DB Mark.  I haven't heard anything about Mark this week so should check in with her.  I hope that radiologist of his has found a way to help.  🙏  Congrats to all on the Celebration list, and I hope the cruisers are excited and happy about their upcoming days at sea.  🚢  Thank you to Vanessa @JazzyV for your list keeping.

Today's port is Busan, South Korea and I had to go way back to get the link to the previous time here.  March 17, 2021.  If Rich's previous content stays at 111 pages it will drop off the chart before we know it!  Oh no!  Here's the link to way back then.  We were there in 2010 on the Diamond Princess on our Bangkok to Anchorage cruise so a few pictures are included.

Okay, here are some of my pics and thoughts about Busan.  We were there in 2010 on the Diamond Princess on a Bangkok to Anchorage, Alaska cruise.  Friends who were booked had talked us into accompanying them and we had a great trip.  It's always better with friends!

That morning, May 3, we arrived NEAR Busan but could not see the port due to the heavy fog.  We anchored and awaited the lifting of the fog, all the while the fog horns played all morning.  Looking over the edge of the deck rails you couldn't even see the water below!  After many hours the fog lifted enough to get us into the dock. enhance

All the tours had to be scrambled to fit the time left in port.  I don't know for sure, but I would say they probably delayed departure, too so everyone could enjoy the port.  They worked really hard to get into Busan because they had entertainers to pick up and let off, and a whole dock full of food and supplies to load on.  In a few days time we would have a long journey to Anchorage.enhance

enhance

We and our friends didn't book a tour.  We used the map provided by the ship and walked into town to see the sights, something we love to do. 

Shopping and eating at the same time! enhance

Shoe stores were in abundance here.  Strappy heels seemed to be in fashion at the time, nearly 11 years ago.enhance

From here we moved on to the world renowned Busan Fish Market.  Quite the visual display!enhance

enhance

Oh my gosh, look at this tank of octopus!enhance

These look like they jumped out of the tank right onto a table.  Ewww!enhance

Some of the famous fisherwomen of the Busan Fish Market.enhance

This lovely fruit market is more my style.enhance

From Busan we moved on to Vladivostok, Russia.  What a day that was!

Hope today is a great day for everyone.  

• Like 25
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good Sunday morning friends!  It's 73 and we expect 91 with sunny skies later on.  Thank you Rich @richwmn for our Daily and Fleet Report for today. 

It's Fresh Spinach day which is fine with me.  Mom used to give us canned spinach which tasted terrible.  I didn't know you could eat it in a salad fresh, but then I can't remember salads from my childhood.  Oh no, it's World Snake Day!  I hope I don't see any snakes anytime soon.  That 19 foot python recently found in Florida gives me the creeps.  Largest snake ever found there!  It is Woodie Wagon Day and I suppose they are talking about the wood covered station wagons of the 1950's.  Classics!

The quote today by Einstein is handy in case you have a bad memory.  Baked zucchini with marinara sauce and cheese sounds different.  I'm not sure I'd like basil in my strawberry flavored drink, and the pinot noir is I'm sure very good but it's a red.  I hope Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard didn't have any trouble finding recipes or information about the food and drinks.  Somehow, they always pull through.

The day in history is certainly from long ago and interesting but must have been controversial.

Prayers for our Care list folks of course and I will add my DB and my friend's DB Mark.  I haven't heard anything about Mark this week so should check in with her.  I hope that radiologist of his has found a way to help.  🙏  Congrats to all on the Celebration list, and I hope the cruisers are excited and happy about their upcoming days at sea.  🚢  Thank you to Vanessa @JazzyV for your list keeping.

Today's port is Busan, South Korea and I had to go way back to get the link to the previous time here.  March 17, 2021.  If Rich's previous content stays at 111 pages it will drop off the chart before we know it!  Oh no!  Here's the link to way back then.  We were there in 2010 on the Diamond Princess on our Bangkok to Anchorage cruise so a few pictures are included.

Okay, here are some of my pics and thoughts about Busan.  We were there in 2010 on the Diamond Princess on a Bangkok to Anchorage, Alaska cruise.  Friends who were booked had talked us into accompanying them and we had a great trip.  It's always better with friends!

That morning, May 3, we arrived NEAR Busan but could not see the port due to the heavy fog.  We anchored and awaited the lifting of the fog, all the while the fog horns played all morning.  Looking over the edge of the deck rails you couldn't even see the water below!  After many hours the fog lifted enough to get us into the dock. enhance

All the tours had to be scrambled to fit the time left in port.  I don't know for sure, but I would say they probably delayed departure, too so everyone could enjoy the port.  They worked really hard to get into Busan because they had entertainers to pick up and let off, and a whole dock full of food and supplies to load on.  In a few days time we would have a long journey to Anchorage.enhance

enhance

We and our friends didn't book a tour.  We used the map provided by the ship and walked into town to see the sights, something we love to do. 

Shopping and eating at the same time! enhance

Shoe stores were in abundance here.  Strappy heels seemed to be in fashion at the time, nearly 11 years ago.enhance

From here we moved on to the world renowned Busan Fish Market.  Quite the visual display!enhance

enhance

Oh my gosh, look at this tank of octopus!enhance

These look like they jumped out of the tank right onto a table.  Ewww!enhance

Some of the famous fisherwomen of the Busan Fish Market.enhance

This lovely fruit market is more my style.enhance

From Busan we moved on to Vladivostok, Russia.  What a day that was!

Hope today is a great day for everyone.  

Nice collection of photos Sandi.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info SLC and all the other contributors.

Wow, I didn’t even notice yesterday that the posting began back on my schedule; prior to 6 am. 
World Snake Day. We have a lot of snakes around our area. They like to make their home in the brushes and dine on the lizards. I will try to see if the snakes want be so shy so I can get a picture to post! 😳

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good Morning, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  Today is going to be a very rainy day, we are under a flood watch.  I have no plans on leaving the house today.  Last week I bought chocolate coconut coffee at Aldi’s, tried it this morning and it’s very good.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.thumb.png.4a0b6b72c94cefc413d52c2c750a5798.png

• Like 25
  • Haha 6

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

We had rain overnight, sure wish it would rain on the forest fires instead of on us.  Not much on the agenda for today.  Bertie and I will be heading out for our first walk of the day soon.

An interesting collection of days.  I love spinach salad.  I know snakes are important but they can stay out of my yard.  Woodie wagons are fun.

Not sure I agree with the quote.  My head is already full of stuff that I could look up - phone numbers, the multiplication table, family birthdays etc.

The meal sounds tasty, looking forward to seeing the recipes.  The drink sounds good too.  I hope the wine isn't expensive.

Thanks for the pictures of today's port.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

• Like 26

Today’s Care list:

The passing of JazzyV’s friend Ruth on 7/11 

The passing of Luvteaching’s friend on 7/12

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, with complications

Catmando visiting his DM Norma, and family situation

1Angelcat’s friend B with medical issues

Summer slope with a health issue

Ill Dailyite pets - Kazu’s Ivan, Heartgrove’s Sam, Crazy For Cats’ Jasper

Death of a young firefighter working the Revelstoke BC fire

All affected by wildfires, storms/flooding, dangerous heat conditions

Shooting victims again

Citizens of Ukraine

From the rotation:

Smitty34877’s DH Lou recovering from surgery

Vict0riann’s Pat with urinary and kidney infections

Lady Hudson’s DH needing PT for leg strength

Tana’s pulmonary issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Baby Murphy off ECMO

RedneckBob’s road trip

Cruzin Terri’s new special necklace

Ger_77’s large donation of handmade blankets for children and fur babies

Seasick Sailor’s new fur baby Oliver coming home on Monday

Kazu’s Ivan showing some improvement

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

5 days for Norseh2o (Oceania Regatta July 21 to Aug 1)

6 days for Crazy For Cats (Zaandam July 22 to July 29)

6 days for Dfish (Zaandam July 22 to 29, July 29 to August 23) celebrating her Sister’s retirement and Dfish’s birthday

6 days for NextOne (Zuiderdam July 22 to August 25)

Cruzin Terri (Oceania Marina to July 23)

• Like 21
  • Thanks 16

I haven't mentioned it yet but I'm sure many of you heard about the shootings yesterday in Hampton, Georgia.  We are very near Hampton (like less than 8 miles away), and that is the location of the Atlanta Motor Speedway.  Sadly, some person went berserk and began roaming a neighborhood shooting people.  Three men and one woman were killed.  The shooter is still on the run so I'm glad we have a gated neighborhood, but I'm sure a killer like that would be able to just drive through the arms that raise and lower at the entrance and get into our neighborhood if they wanted to.  The security people at the entrance are surely on the watch though.  Praying they find this murderer so he can punished, and for the families and friends of the victims of this crime.🙏  May they rest in peace.😢

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Nice collection of photos Sandi.

Thank you so much, Graham!

42 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  Today is going to be a very rainy day, we are under a flood watch.  I have no plans on leaving the house today.  Last week I bought chocolate coconut coffee at Aldi’s, tried it this morning and it’s very good.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.thumb.png.4a0b6b72c94cefc413d52c2c750a5798.png

Really hoping there is no flooding anywhere in the Northeast.  In two weeks I'll be in Boston embarking on the Zaadam and don't need any impediments to getting to the port.  Stay safe!

17 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

We had rain overnight, sure wish it would rain on the forest fires instead of on us.  Not much on the agenda for today.  Bertie and I will be heading out for our first walk of the day soon.

An interesting collection of days.  I love spinach salad.  I know snakes are important but they can stay out of my yard.  Woodie wagons are fun.

Not sure I agree with the quote.  My head is already full of stuff that I could look up - phone numbers, the multiplication table, family birthdays etc.

The meal sounds tasty, looking forward to seeing the recipes.  The drink sounds good too.  I hope the wine isn't expensive.

Thanks for the pictures of today's port.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

I was thinking yesterday Melanie that I'm glad I memorized the Lord's Prayer and Hail Mary as a child, as I repeated them over and over during prayers on the treadmill.  I had a lot more brain cells back then!  It wouldn't be great if I had to look those prayers up every time I said them.  Also agree about the phone numbers, multiplication tables and birthdays.

11 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Today’s Care list:

The passing of JazzyV’s friend Ruth on 7/11 

The passing of Luvteaching’s friend on 7/12

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, with complications

Catmando visiting his DM Norma, and family situation

1Angelcat’s friend B with medical issues

Summer slope with a health issue

Ill Dailyite pets - Kazu’s Ivan, Heartgrove’s Sam, Crazy For Cats’ Jasper

Death of a young firefighter working the Revelstoke BC fire

All affected by wildfires, storms/flooding, dangerous heat conditions

Shooting victims again

Citizens of Ukraine

From the rotation:

Smitty34877’s DH Lou recovering from surgery

Vict0riann’s Pat with urinary and kidney infections

Lady Hudson’s DH needing PT for leg strength

Tana’s pulmonary issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Baby Murphy off ECMO

RedneckBob’s road trip

Cruzin Terri’s new special necklace

Ger_77’s large donation of handmade blankets for children and fur babies

Seasick Sailor’s new fur baby Oliver coming home on Monday

Kazu’s Ivan showing some improvement

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

5 days for Norseh2o (Oceania Regatta July 21 to Aug 1)

6 days for Crazy For Cats (Zaandam July 22 to July 29)

6 days for Dfish (Zaandam July 22 to 29, July 29 to August 23) celebrating her Sister’s retirement and Dfish’s birthday

6 days for NextOne (Zuiderdam July 22 to August 25)

Cruzin Terri (Oceania Marina to July 23)

Thanks again Vanessa for the Care and Celebration lists.  Isn't it great seeing new cruisers going up on the list for upcoming cruises?

• Like 29

@StLouisCruisers the warning that HAL gives about traffic is accurate.  One of the main tunnels is closed until the end of August.  Probably not as bad on a Saturday morning but best to keep it in mind when planning.  We are using a ride service this Saturday so will have a better idea then of the impact to getting to the cruise port.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s R & D, Sandi for Rich! A bit cloudy this morning. We actually did not have one drop of rain here yesterday! Got in lots of pool time and had a great supper with my traveling Sister. 

Vanessa, thank you for sharing our happenings. Dixie & Debbie thank you for sharing the F & B department with me. 

Gym, Aldi, chores, Bindi walks and pool time 🤞🏻

IMG_1503.jpeg.af9fb2b9187c9d237c1bbe4c1d0b0efe.jpeg

IMG_1502.jpeg.3ce1b78d27e803fc440c1ef0c397b884.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. Get well & stay well everyone!

Quartz Reef Pinot Noir Central Otago Bendigo Estate 2020

No worldwide distributors of this vintage of today’s elusive New Zealand wine. But there are a couple offering worldwide distribution of the 2019 vintage, which happens to share the rave reviews. If you live in Australia or New Zealand, this vintage can be yours for $31.69.

Winemaker Notes

Aromas of deep black Doris plum, and dark cherry. Rich on the palate with blackcurrant, plum, forest floor notes and subtle spice. An elegant wine with classy tannins and a long vibrant finish.

JS95 James Suckling
Aromas of pitted red cherries, rose, moss and bark. Medium-bodied with silky texture and tannins. Perfumed and vibrant with so much floral and herbal complexity. So long as well. Beautifully composed and layered. Delicious. Drink or hold.
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

@StLouisCruisers the warning that HAL gives about traffic is accurate.  One of the main tunnels is closed until the end of August.  Probably not as bad on a Saturday morning but best to keep it in mind when planning.  We are using a ride service this Saturday so will have a better idea then of the impact to getting to the cruise port.

If you could report back about your ability to get to the port in a timely manner, I would love to hear about it.  We will be staying in Revere at the Choice Hotel Logan International airport, and planned on taking a taxi.  Do you think that will be a bad idea due to sitting in traffic?  Also planned to take a taxi to the airport from the ship Aug. 23 so hope someone will be able to advise what is the best way to get there.  

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Strawberry Basil Spritzer cocktail:

Ingredients
1 oz strawberry-infused Tito’s Handmade Vodka Make it!
3 oz white wine
3 oz sparkling water
2-4 basil leaves
Directions
Muddle basil leaves and infused Tito’s Handmade Vodka into your glass of choice.
Add ice and remaining ingredients.

Screenshot 2023-07-16 at 7.28.46 AM.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 14

Good miserable humid 98% morning. Just waiting for the rain to start. Flood watch is in effect. Last night in Bucks county near Washington Crossing there was severe flooding with 3 deaths and 4 people still missing.🙏

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 12

Come on HAL. How could leave out that today is National Ice Cream Day!

Give me a half gallon of Blue Bell French Vanilla ice cream and I am in hog heaven, so to speak! 
Anyone else like to shout out your favorite ice cream and brand.

• Like 20
  • Haha 4

Thank you Rich, Sandi, Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie, Ann, and Graham.  Luther really stirred the pot on this day in1519.  Many snakes are very beneficial but I prefer them at a distance.  "Woodie" always reminds me of the Beach Boys.  I hope Einstein was exaggerating a bit with his quote.  I think Busan was on the original itinerary on my 2014 Amsterdan Grand Asia segment but was cancelled due to objections from China.  The meal suggestion is actually quite close to my planned alternative for today.  It's :Fresh Fruit Cup, Ziti with Prosciutto and Lemon Olive Oil, and Fruit Jello as served on MS Prinsendam July 16, 2011.

Roy

• Like 35

49 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I haven't mentioned it yet but I'm sure many of you heard about the shootings yesterday in Hampton, Georgia.  We are very near Hampton (like less than 8 miles away), and that is the location of the Atlanta Motor Speedway.  Sadly, some person went berserk and began roaming a neighborhood shooting people.  Three men and one woman were killed.  The shooter is still on the run so I'm glad we have a gated neighborhood, but I'm sure a killer like that would be able to just drive through the arms that raise and lower at the entrance and get into our neighborhood if they wanted to.  The security people at the entrance are surely on the watch though.  Praying they find this murderer so he can punished, and for the families and friends of the victims of this crime.🙏  May they rest in peace.😢

Thank you so much, Graham!

Really hoping there is no flooding anywhere in the Northeast.  In two weeks I'll be in Boston embarking on the Zaadam and don't need any impediments to getting to the port.  Stay safe!

I was thinking yesterday Melanie that I'm glad I memorized the Lord's Prayer and Hail Mary as a child, as I repeated them over and over during prayers on the treadmill.  I had a lot more brain cells back then!  It wouldn't be great if I had to look those prayers up every time I said them.  Also agree about the phone numbers, multiplication tables and birthdays.

Thanks again Vanessa for the Care and Celebration lists.  Isn't it great seeing new cruisers going up on the list for upcoming cruises?

Take care and stay Sandi and Dennis.

I hope that gunman is caught quickly before he hurts anyone else.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

If you could report back about your ability to get to the port in a timely manner, I would love to hear about it.  We will be staying in Revere at the Choice Hotel Logan International airport, and planned on taking a taxi.  Do you think that will be a bad idea due to sitting in traffic?  Also planned to take a taxi to the airport from the ship Aug. 23 so hope someone will be able to advise what is the best way to get there.  

I think your plan is fine.  Once at the airport you are on the other side of the tunnel.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Sandi and Rich!  I rarely eat spinach but with a hot bacon dressing it is yummy.  Never had a  woody station wagon and snakes are frequent visitors in my garden.  They love to eat crickets, grasshoppers and toads.  I like the Einstein quote.   I hated it when I took piano lessons and had to memorize, ditto for Bible verses.  Pass on the high carb meal and cocktail and the obscure wine.  Thanks for the photos of Busan @StLouisCruisers.  Thanks for the Cares and Celebrations lists @JazzyV.  Prayers for the shooting victims in Georgia and Fargo where a police officer was killed.  Prayers for all needing them and the people of Ukraine. 

Snakes, one dead after being eaten by a chipmunk note the sunflower seeds nearby. Another with a toad in his belly and a Gaillardia flower. Have a nice Sunday! Nancy 

IMG_20230710_110841672_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230712_135920937.jpg

IMG_20230711_080334616.jpg

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone!

It is a hazy day today, probably because the smoke has returned and our air quality has taken a nose dive.  I think I'll be staying inside today.  Yesterday we went to an art fair in the park.  It was kind of so-so.  We walked through and nothing caught our eye.  So, we moved on to the Farmers Market and that was a smart move.  We did pick up some delicacies and I found yellow wax beans.  I haven't seen fresh yellow wax beans in years and I love them roasted in the oven.  That is tonight's dinner along with smoked whitefish.   Last night we had veggies done on the grill along with spiedies.   It was a great dinner.  

Today's meal could be a side dish or by adding some Italian sausage, it could become the main meal.  This first recipe is a good side dish.  https://www.aheadofthyme.com/baked-zucchini-with-marinara-and-cheese/

bakedzucchini1.thumb.jpg.36c7ba7d2a463e9f667f678cfc82c4cd.jpg

This one is more like a casserole.  It would be easy to add some Italian sausage to this.  https://www.keepingitsimpleblog.com/food/italian-baked-zucchini/

bakedzucchini2.thumb.jpg.675a92f22a7d14e8523665358245ab4c.jpg

This recipe offers some interesting variations that you could try.  https://healthyrecipesblogs.com/zucchini-casserole/

bakedzucchini3.thumb.jpg.b57c5c0192c79dc5da961c386e730bdb.jpg

If you want, you can take it a step further and make a zucchini parmesan.  https://thecozycook.com/zucchini-parmesan/

bakedzucchini4.thumb.jpg.68be4875f43da659de23904bc724faeb.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 11