Viking would take my ($16,000+) in money, but -after I paid- not my calls about my parents' cruise (poor service overall)...

meee123

Just to forewarn others, I had several phone calls with 'Viking Sales', to book my parents "$16,000+" cruise. I was told to 'call back with any questions.' After the sale was made though, and only when I had an issue to present, immediately the reply was, 'I can only talk to your parents.' Thus, I could pay for the cruise but not ask questions afterward. Instead, I would need to have my 80+ year old parent call in, from a different city, for me to be allowed to ask questions for them (even with the confirmation number, receipts, etc.). Thereafter, the phone line support for Viking has been worse than any other cruise line we've been on - Royal Caribbean, Norwegian & NCL (and worse than even Carnival, based on what I've heard from others). I'm told Viking uses a separate company for phone support. It still bears the Viking name though, so I expected more. Still, the 'Viking Customer Service' main response is -after I wait on hold for who knows how long, listening to an endless stringed instrument solo- 'You will have to do all of that on the Viking website.' My 80 year old parents at least, don't get on the web. It's just a lesson learned - a higher price tag, does not necessarily mean a higher level of service. I will avoid Viking in the future, and I hope what I posted here, helps you in your cruise line decision process. All the best!

Next time for your elderly parents please  use a Travel Agent. 

they will handle everything. No cost ot you.

So sorry you had an  unfortunate experience with customer service. 

Was this an ocean or river cruise? 

Nice of you to help your parents, did they ever go the cruise? 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, meee123 said:

Just to forewarn others, I had several phone calls with 'Viking Sales', to book my parents "$16,000+" cruise. I was told to 'call back with any questions.' After the sale was made though, and only when I had an issue to present, immediately the reply was, 'I can only talk to your parents.' Thus, I could pay for the cruise but not ask questions afterward. Instead, I would need to have my 80+ year old parent call in, from a different city, for me to be allowed to ask questions for them (even with the confirmation number, receipts, etc.). Thereafter, the phone line support for Viking has been worse than any other cruise line we've been on - Royal Caribbean, Norwegian & NCL (and worse than even Carnival, based on what I've heard from others). I'm told Viking uses a separate company for phone support. It still bears the Viking name though, so I expected more. Still, the 'Viking Customer Service' main response is -after I wait on hold for who knows how long, listening to an endless stringed instrument solo- 'You will have to do all of that on the Viking website.' My 80 year old parents at least, don't get on the web. It's just a lesson learned - a higher price tag, does not necessarily mean a higher level of service. I will avoid Viking in the future, and I hope what I posted here, helps you in your cruise line decision process. All the best!

And that is why we ALWAYS use a Travel Agent !!

Lessons learned for the future.   Especially for those who don't get on the web.

• Like 4

Forget the call center.

Contact Viking at tellus@vikingcruises.com. This is a few rungs up the customer service ladder. Give them the booking number and your phone number. Explain everything that you have told us here and ask them figure out how you can continue to manage the booking for your parents. Tell them how upset, disappointed and frustrated you are with how things are being handled.

In the meantime, you do need to set up an account for the Viking guest portal. It is called MyVikingJourney.com and you can click here to reach it.  You will need the booking number of your parents' cruise as part of the set up. Viking will have no idea if you are setting it up or your parents.

MVJ is where you can manage/learn a lot things. Most importantly, it is the place where you go to book optional tours and to reserve seats on the included tours (they are included but you have to indicate that you are actually taking the tour and pick a time since there are multiple departure times). Booking opens by cabin category and the date when you can begin booking is on your Viking Guest Statement.

Wishing your parents a wonderful cruise.

• Like 9

I have handled 2 cruises for my wife’s parents on Viking. I paid for everything. I also was able to make changes such as moving their booking to a different cruise, make their air arrangements through Viking and Viking would answer questions etc that I had so sorry to hear that you’re having issues with them.   Maybe the only difference is my wife and I were going on the same cruise as them.  We and her parents did have separate booking numbers. 

• Like 1

I hate to say this but the easiest thing to do is lie. Just call as your father. They will talk to you. How do they know as long as you know his details (which you do). Otherwise they have no clue who you or your parents are on the phone. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DrKoob said:

I hate to say this but the easiest thing to do is lie. Just call as your father. They will talk to you. How do they know as long as you know his details (which you do). Otherwise they have no clue who you or your parents are on the phone. 

Have social security number and dob handy just in case. 

Thanks for the forum replies here. Some good advice. Sadly, at times -during numerous phone calls- I've called in and they just assumed I was my Dad. I just went with it. And I used myvikingjourney, but I tried to get my parents to use it, and they just weren't app savvy. I do appreciate the feedback. Sadly, now it's worse...

Specifically, after being encouraged yesterday by Viking to cancel the reservation because 'I was fully insured' (and probably so Viking could resell the room - look for an Octantis discount on 21JUL), now I'm told I'm totally insured, but for $0 in coverage.  Specifically, declaring my parents 'no COVID vaccination but a doctor's letter situation' upfront, I was encouraged by the Viking sales rep to buy the 'top level/"cancel for any reason" insurance.  The COVID policy had not changed then and it was clear, so I rescheduled the original cruise early last year, and was told I could rebook the exact same cruise for next year (this year), with everything being the same - insurance included.  Everything was not the same in terms of their booking/flights alone, but that is a different story. More importantly now, I'm told I will 'receive $0 (ZERO) back at this point, because although I paid $16,000+, including the insurance (and was told I was covered yesterday, by Viking), the cruise had to be rebooked with a voucher, and when it was rebooked with a voucher, the voucher value was $0 dollars.' Thus, I was sold an expensive "Cancel for any reason" insurance policy by Viking, which actually on the claims form lists a lot of reasons why you can't cancel, and $0 in actual coverage/credit with any rescheduled trip, in spite of what Viking said earlier about 'everything would be exactly the same on the rescheduled trip - including the coverage.' I said on the phone today, that's what I call fraudulent.  Again, Viking's new story today (It varies from day to day) was I will get nothing back, and I had to cancel immediately for Viking to even look into my situation, or Viking wouldn't even offer me that. I said I thought Viking just wanted the cancellation so Viking could resell my parents' room. I was told to 'cancel now, or nothing' - which is still the possibility of what Viking tells me, in up to 5 days, when I'm told I'll get an email reply.  I'm guessing that will be the outcome here, but I'll gladly post if/when Viking does the right thing. Again, thanks to you all for your feedback and support. 

Edited by meee123

I don't think you, specifically you personally, should book travel directly on your own. You would be better off using a travel agent who understands how vouchers and insurance work, what the cruise line vaccination policy is, and with the time to explain it to you before you spend money.

Your insurance does not have "$0 of coverage". It has coverage for medical emergencies, lost luggage, a whole range of covered losses, in addition to your actual cruise fare costs - which is indeed $0 in this case.

The T&C of vouchers are not secret, Viking's Vaccination policy is not secret. Within the last 2 weeks there was another thread almost identical to yours, right here, from a chap who accused Viking of stealing his money. There too the complainant had not read/understood vouchers or the insurance policy he had purchased and blamed others.

• Like 6

Please stop posting the same posts in multiple forums.  This is apparently about a Viking Ocean cruise, so this is the only proper forum.  All other posts have been consolidated here (and duplicates hidden).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for the reply, WanderingBrit. What you said though, is really close to what Viking said ... today. Others said Viking monitors and posts here too. Yet I've booked a dozen or so cruises, on different cruise lines, for myself, friends and family. We traveled right when the world was opening, and needed to do the tests before, during and after the cruises. We saw the cruise line red banners on their websites, stating their COVID policy. It was repeated at the point of sale and in bold, on checkin pages, and on the itinerary in bold. Viking has none of that.  It's own buried 'You may be asked if you're vaccinated' statement (attached here) is iffy, and Viking even admitted to me, that on my latest call about COVID, in March 2023, I was told my parents vaccinations status was not an issue by Viking. That is not the case now, and Viking currently will not stand by what it has stated previously.

Yet thanks for reminding everyone someone else posted about this same situation too. For every one that posts here, there is probably 100 others in the same situation. Very helpful, WanderingBrit. All the best.

IMG_9082 2.heic

Edited by meee123

1 hour ago, meee123 said:

I was sold an expensive "Cancel for any reason" insurance policy by Viking

My personal practice is to not purchase insurance from the entity I may have to submit a claim against.  This is because the entity or its insurance company may have a conflict of interest when it comes to paying out claims. IMHO it is better to purchase insurance from an independent third party that has no stake in the outcome of my claim. This way, I can be confident my claim will be handled fairly and impartially.

• Like 5

I do think that Viking's policies could use some improvement. They are very inflexible. I have not cruised much but I have spent a lot of time reading things here and learned a lot. I did not know anything about vouchers and that even though you paid for the initial cruise, the insurance assigns a zero value when you use them. That hurts if you have not been made aware of things. It is easy to say use a travel agent but trying to find a good one takes trial and error. You really do not know if you have a good one until problems arise and then it may be too late. 

I signed up for a cruise to Egypt while on a cruise with an agent who is Israeli. He suggested the dates in October 2024. He also knew that going on the pre to Israel was important to me. After I returned home I thought about the holidays in Israel -- Israel is on a lunar calendar so they change from year to year. It turns out we would be in Israel for Rosh Hashana -- basically like being here for Christmas. We were able to get the date changed to 3 days earlier and did it within a month of the original booking but Viking had raised their prices in that month and would not honor the price we had . So the price went up $1,000 for the two of us and there was no grace on their end even though the Israeli sales agent on the cruise should have thought about it. All they told me is that it would be discussed in training and meetings. That didn't help me.

I don't have anything to compare them to. On board the two cruises we have taken the service was wonderful. There is a lot to like. And I do know that people would take advantage of them if they were more lenient. BUT I personally think they should have an ombudsman to review situations like this one. There could be a solution that would not leave a bad taste in everyone's mouth. 

• Like 2